PDA

View Full Version : We joined the Y!!!

WAHMof2
01-23-2008, 17:16
Yeah I know...thrill huh. Oh well, next thread.......:smilie40:

Matt P
01-23-2008, 17:19
We just switched to the Y. Old gym was becoming obnoxious in their prices. Our Y is a junky old one. But, in October they're opening a barnd new one with 6 pools (3 inside 3 outside). One of the outdoor pools will have waterslides, a water fall & a giant pirate ship in the middle. CANNOT WAIT!!

scubajane
01-23-2008, 17:51
I've belonged to the YMCA for about 20 years. their facility has always met my changing needs. from pre-school classes when my kids were little and now lap lanes to swim and snorkel. and they allow us to dive in the pool at certain times to check our gear.

cummings66
01-23-2008, 18:38
I joined our local Y after they opened a new facility and had a pool at this one. I swim a quarter mile a few times a week and play racquetball on the other days. Sometimes a game of basketball, but that one kills me and my knee's have to be up for it.

I think if the Y has what you need it's a great place.

WAHMof2
01-23-2008, 19:02
It definitely has what we need, and the price is right. The only real disappointment was the pool. It's only 6 ft at the deepest, but it's big, so laps will be good. We find ourselves not getting much exercise during the winter months, so this seemed like a good idea.

Daved
01-24-2008, 02:46
Good for you! I think I am just going to buy a new wet suit--loosing weight is not my specialty.

BoomerNJ
01-24-2008, 04:14
I just switched to the Y too! Mine is an old one as well, but their planning a new 6 million $$ renovation starting this year. I really like the circuit rooms & of course the pools. We only have one lap pool though. They have a second pool for aquatics programs, which frees up the Olympic size one for more lap & swim team stuff, but I wish there was more lap time...

scootermcfly
01-24-2008, 06:26
The family and I belong to the local YMCA and it is great cause i can go workout while the teenagers can go and play B-ball when they want with their friends. They also let us use the pool once in a while when we are going through withdrawl from being underwater.

Scooter McFly

DarinMartell
01-24-2008, 06:34
When we moved we went from an area with a GREAT Y to an area with a real old one. It is the only thing we really miss from the eary we moved from. A good Y is a real asset to any family.

mm2002
01-24-2008, 18:24
I'll tell ya, today was our first day and I'm pooped! I really though I was in fairly good shape, but was I ever wrong. I do OK with the weights and such, as I have good muscle strength, but endurance??? Forget it. I'm really glad the wife talked me into this. I've got lots of work to do.

mwhities
01-24-2008, 19:40
We just had a new Y built about 6 miles from the house. I'm going to go join it and try to lose some more weight. I fear my dry suit might be a little tight around the edges (waist). :)

WAHMof2
01-24-2008, 19:48
Good luck mwhities! Yeah, today was an eye opener. It's going to fun though, especially knowing the benefits where scuba is concerned.
I will say this too; the Y is a LOT cheaper than any health club we've looked into, and they have very nice equipment. No long term contract either.

beperkins
10-16-2008, 13:02
Congrats, thank goodness my town has a civic center. (About the same thing as a Y from what I can tell) and it is a godsend. Pool, gym, etc.