PDA

View Full Version : European Dive Locations

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 05:52
You seem to have the rest of the world covered, just no Europe/UK.

We do dive here and have some reasonably good sites.

Just a thought.

ScubaToys Larry
07-28-2007, 10:46
It's done... thanks for pointing out our missing that! And I moved this thread there so at least we have one post there!

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 15:38
Thanks Larry,

With any luck there should be more.

I was asked about diving in Turkey earlier so it could pop over here too.

Thanks again Mate!!!

Travelnsj
09-14-2007, 22:26
I have heard Malta is one of the best spots in Europe.

Kidder
09-14-2007, 22:41
The mediterranean has to be full of cool dive sites.

Kidder
09-14-2007, 22:44
Here's a link to dives site in the Med. off of Malta
http://www.divewise.com.mt/malta_diving_info/Dive-sites-in-the-Mediterranean.htm

Ross
09-15-2007, 19:34
Well, I am tempted to say that Med diving is awful and boring, but that wouldn't be truthful, just trying to keep it quiet! I've been to 2 places - Calella in NW Spain - boat and shore dives, all levels but can be a bit dark ... and not so warm as Malta, with crystal clear waters [most of the time], great dives, and a good show of fish on some wrecks and at some times - also a great variety of dives/ wrecks with a well established dive industry to cater for all - we've just come back from our third trip there, rebreather course this time [we're sold!], dived several sites from different locations around Malta [small island so if one side a bit rough, always other sites not far away], and Gozo - favourite probably a tug boat wreck - the 'Rozi' - sitting on sand in ~30-35m, bright enough to sit and read a paper + wealth of fish - look at www.maltaqua.com - Ross

Travelnsj
09-15-2007, 21:35
What are the warmest water temps during the summer?

Kidder
09-15-2007, 22:14
Hey here is a link to some dive sites in the UK.
It seems like a pretty chilly place to dive though. 55 degrees in summer. brrrr

Kabniel
11-20-2007, 14:55
Hey here is a link to some dive sites in the UK.
It seems like a pretty chilly place to dive though. 55 degrees in summer. brrrr

depends on where you're diving, inland quarries are notoriously cool even during summer. Most divers in the UK opt for a drysuit all year round but you can dive during summer with a semi.

We're expecting around 45 degrees on Thursday when we dive a local quarry :smiley20:

namabiru
11-24-2007, 07:36
I've heard Cyprus is up and coming. I borrowed the Mediterranean Europe guidebook and copied the Cyprus section. I might check it out, actually. Go someplace 'new'.

scubajane
11-26-2007, 15:43
I found a web site for diving in Germany. apparently they have a large dive club. only problem is ...I don't speak german and I have no idea where they dive. So.... if you are fluent in german you can dive in germany

scubadub
01-19-2008, 08:10
There is some great diving here in Ireland. Not for the faint hearted though, but can be very rewarding. The warmest the water gets is 14C (57F) hence we nearly all dive drysuits year round, although you can get away with a decent wetsuit or semi-dry (as I found out last year when I bust the zipper on my drysuit!). There are loads of great wreck dives, from U-boats to container ships and everything in between. Some great wildlife dives too.
The Atlantic west coast is really worth diving, I get over there every chance I get.
If anybody wants any info let me know, I'd be glad to help.

I have also dived in Gozo, Malta which is nice too. Much warmer 18C to 24C (64 -75 F), nice viz and topography although not as much fish life as you would expect, methinks the Maltese enjoy their seafood a little too much. :-(

The Canary Islands is also pretty good. I've been there a couple of times. Being just off the coast of Africa it is also pretty warm, similar temps to Malta. It's a good place for us Northern Europeans to go in winter, in fact I'm going there in a couple of weeks - can't wait!

There are lots more great places to dive aroung Europe, thse are just the places I have been.

Joepstra
02-14-2008, 07:28
There are some nice locations in the Netherlans, Heaps near the city Rotterdam. Jast make sure you bring a wet- or drysuit with you. Temp vary from 4dgr C up to 20 dgr C. There is an underwaterplayground in Oostvoorne, just 30 min. drive from Rotterdam, and in the province Zeeland (1 hr. drive) there is heaps to see in the Grevelingen Meer and in the Oosterschelde.

Note, you don't have to speak Dutch, 95% of the dutch speak English!

Joep.

CompuDude
02-15-2008, 04:34
I've heard good things about the the cold water diving in Ireland and parts of England. I'd hate to have to travel with a cold water setup, though... that's a lot of weight to fly with!

I've heard good things about the Grrek Isles as well, but haven't done much investigation yet.

Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. :D Tips?

Eurodiver
05-21-2008, 08:38
I found a web site for diving in Germany. apparently they have a large dive club. only problem is ...I don't speak german and I have no idea where they dive. So.... if you are fluent in german you can dive in germany

Just for the record Germans speak English it is mandatory 2 years in school.
But if you don't try to speak German they won't try to speak English.
I hate it when people say things like that about us Europeans.

There are a lot of Dive places in Europe:
Croatia
ProDiving Croatia - Tourist Diving Association. How to dive in Croatia? (http://www.diving.hr/main/kako.asp?L=eng)
Malta
Diving in Malta and Gozo, Scuba diving in Malta, Dive Malta, Dive in Malta, (http://www.dawndivesmalta.com/en/index.asp)
Spain
DIVING-SCUBA MALLORCA/MAJORCA-Port Pollensa/Alcudia, Spain (http://www.scubamallorca.com/)
Portugal
Portugal > Sports > Scuba Diving (http://www.portugal-info.net/info/scubadiving.htm)
Turkey
New Page 4 (http://www.divingturkey.com/info.html)
Greece
Scuba Diving in Greece (http://gogreece.about.com/cs/scubadiving/a/divinggreece.htm)

Italy, France

Cyprus is up and coming
Cyprus (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1098.html)
Currently for US Military or Army any way is Off limits.

We also have
TauchRevierGasometer - Eurpoas größtes Indoor Tauch- und Ausbildungszentrum (http://www.tauchrevier-gasometer.de/)

It is an old Industrial Park they gutted and made into a nature park.
They cleaned out one of the Blast furnaces, got EPA approval and turned it into a dive tank.
Pictures as they were doing it
Der Anfang (http://www.tauchrevier-gasometer.de/html/der_anfang_0.html)

Rough translation from part of the information site

The slogan "Tauch an into the other lower water world" is meant literal. To immerse in such an environment, would be allowed to be well unique.

The works began already middle of the year 1996 at the Gasometer, like the letting out of ca. 11,800 ms³ rain water, the cleaning of the 1,500 ms² ground and 1,800 ms² wall area, the installation of a 11 meter of shipwreck long and a small vehicle. Further a tunnel with rocks and ruins was modeled up on basis of canal tube concrete tubes large in the diameter 2.5 meter.

In August 1997 was raised anchored the 260 tons of heavy bell covers and 3.5 meters over the future water level.

In the spring 1998, 300 tons of gravel was brought in and were distributed among the ground.

In September and November 1998 flowed 21,000 ms³ water in the Gasometer and let emerge therewith the largest, artificial immerse waters in Europe.

Under water expect the immerse athlete in 13 meters immerse depth, 45 meters of diameter and up to 40 meter visibility expanse among other things a 11 meter of shipwreck, a small vehicle, an Autowrack, 2 diver bells with 2,800 liters apiece air contents, an artificial snatched up, a 11 meter of sign tree high as well as education platform in different depths.

Further attractions, like for example a Flugzeugwrack culprit" consider the Gasometer also to be "repetition interesting.

Compdude said :Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. :D Tips?

Dive trips are easy enough.
As for what your wife wants to see
WOW where to start
Italy is cool I recommend Rome Venice and Pisa.
Pisa is kind of boring though it is a teeny tiny town and you see the leaning tower and and it is like Ummm yeah it leans a little.
Venice is kick butt. I love Venice just do me one favor TAKE HER ON A GONDOLA RIDE don't be a cheap ass.
I love Paris too. To me easiest city in Europe to get around in.
Another favor TAKE HER TO THE TOP of the Eiffel Tower AND KISS HER! Don't be a cheap ass.

Diving place the only place we go diving right now is Lloret de Mar Spain. Know a great crew there.
We are planning Croatia or Mallorca in September. If ya want to go can give ya the info. Or if you want other info just PM me.

I am sure I can add more to this in the next year before I leave here. If they let me leave here.

CompuDude
05-21-2008, 14:18
Compdude said :Any of you Euros want to offer some advice on the best diving in Europe proper? My wife is dying to hit Europe. (Think the primary EU member countries, and sadly, I don't think she's interested in Sweden/Finland/Norway, so more like Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Spain.) She wants museums, statutes and architecture (ideally Italy), and I only care about the best diving. :D Tips?

Dive trips are easy enough.
As for what your wife wants to see
WOW where to start
Italy is cool I recommend Rome Venice and Pisa.
Pisa is kind of boring though it is a teeny tiny town and you see the leaning tower and and it is like Ummm yeah it leans a little.
Venice is kick butt. I love Venice just do me one favor TAKE HER ON A GONDOLA RIDE don't be a cheap ass.
I love Paris too. To me easiest city in Europe to get around in.
Another favor TAKE HER TO THE TOP of the Eiffel Tower AND KISS HER! Don't be a cheap ass.

Diving place the only place we go diving right now is Lloret de Mar Spain. Know a great crew there.
We are planning Croatia or Mallorca in September. If ya want to go can give ya the info. Or if you want other info just PM me.

I am sure I can add more to this in the next year before I leave here. If they let me leave here.

LOL I'm not a cheap ass. And finding stuff topside for her to do in Europe is no issue whatsoever.

Finding diving that is geographically and logistically close to those same topside cultural destinations, however... (is there diving in Venice that doesn't involve nasty canals, for instance?)

Travelnsj
05-21-2008, 14:32
CompuDude...Have you checked out Malta?...I have heard it is the best in Europe.

CompuDude
05-21-2008, 14:51
CompuDude...Have you checked out Malta?...I have heard it is the best in Europe.

Good to know, but I think my wife will want to hit the more familiar European destinations before checking out the smaller locales.

Going to be a year or so before she finishes school and gets back to work so we can afford another big trip, though, so no hurry. :(

Travelnsj
05-24-2008, 09:54

Good to know, but I think my wife will want to hit the more familiar European destinations before checking out the smaller locales.

Going to be a year or so before she finishes school and gets back to work so we can afford another big trip, though, so no hurry. :(

Last year I had the itch to go back to somewhere like Santorini, Paris or to Tuscany.....and wanted to look at maybe a side trip to dive....Malta was the best reviewed with warm waters in summer, great vis and history....but like everything else in the Mediterranean not a lot of marine life...I think you will see more in the restaurants!

chinacat46
05-24-2008, 13:18
Bummer to hear about the lack of marine life. Are there any good wreck dives or underwater cities? I've heard most Europeans go to the Red Sea to dive.

maggs_the
05-24-2008, 17:58
one of my dearest and best friends lives and is from Denmark but she's not a diver and actually lives on a farm. i told her if they had diving there, i'd come to see her more often and she tried to convince me if i came, we'd find a place!! ha!

know of anything on the eastern side of Denmark?

Travelnsj
05-24-2008, 20:43
Bummer to hear about the lack of marine life. Are there any good wreck dives or underwater cities? I've heard most Europeans go to the Red Sea to dive.

I've heard there is some excellent wreck diving off England. But I also understand the water can be a bit chilly.

chinacat46
05-26-2008, 09:38
Actually off Scotland. Scapa Flo. Drysuit diving all the way.

Karletto
05-30-2008, 14:59
middle east, lower East Adriatic -> Croatia

wrecks, big fishes, caves, shells, national parks :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Largo
06-09-2008, 19:57
Back in the 90s, I saw some guys diving the Wannsee, in Berlin.

The visibility couldn't have been that good.

Anybody ever dived it?

FedLuvsNicola
06-10-2008, 10:08
I just got back from Nice, France recently, and I decided I would try diving in the Mediterranean. I did three one tank dives on two separate days with Nice Divers, located at Quai des Docks right on Nice Harbor. This outfit is a wonderful operation. All of the rental equipment is relativly new (I only brought my mask along because it's a prescription one), and the divemasters and guides are second-to-none. Most sites are just a 20 minute boat ride from the docks to Villefranche Bay (which is quite deep) and further west to St. Jean Cap Ferrat, which has huge underwater cliffs. The first day visibility was not optimal (40 feet) because Nice had lots of rain prior, and the water temperature was 17C. But I was not complaining! The second day had a visibility of about 60 feet and it warmed up to 19C.

I was accompanied on each dive by a guide who thoroughly checked your equipment prior to diving in and submerging (to ensure you were adequately weighted). The last dive I made was devoted entirely to fish identification. The depths on all dives ranged from 15-18 metres. And once back on the boat, we always "ended" the dive with a drink and a toast!

All-in-all, Nice Diving is one of the most professional organizations I have ever had the pleasure of diving with.

One thing to keep in mind though...you have to have your physician sign a medical statement saying that you are fit to dive. It is a requirement to dive in France. Nice Diving just had my doctor sign the PADI medical statement, and I brought that along with me.

Eurodiver
06-19-2008, 23:55
Made the reservation going to Pula Croatia August 29 to September 1
Trip includes transportation, 3 overnights in a hotel with breakfast, 5 boat dives, diving permit {required for Croatia} good for 1 year, 2 of the 5 dives are boat or shipwreck dives for $569 AOWD is available for $179 additional.
You can get half price rental gear. Taking my own. Will have it all by then.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo excited. will let you know how it goes.

Karletto
07-20-2008, 16:30
middle east, lower East Adriatic -> Croatia

wrecks, big fishes, caves, shells, national parks :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

forgot to add

for scuba diving u need a license and a permit; tourist agencies are getting more and more organized; in national parks spearfishing is illegal -> controls are quite often; it is illegal to collect the shell in the 1st attachment smaller than 10cm and shells in the 2nd attachment are a big http://forums.deeperblue.net/images/smilies/adminfinger.gif

there are 2 chambers for decompression illness in whole coast

Eurodiver
07-23-2008, 00:12

Last year I had the itch to go back to somewhere like Santorini, Paris or to Tuscany.....and wanted to look at maybe a side trip to dive....Malta was the best reviewed with warm waters in summer, great vis and history....but like everything else in the Mediterranean not a lot of marine life...I think you will see more in the restaurants!

Our friend was a dive guide in Malta for 4 years and he said there wasn't a lot of marine life cause they eat it all :smilie39::smilie39:

neugierig
10-01-2008, 09:29

im looking for underwater cities or ruins too. anybody know of dive spots in places like greece for that?

tomich
10-12-2008, 17:02

im looking for underwater cities or ruins too. anybody know of dive spots in places like greece for that?

normally anything archelogically interesting is strictly "off-limits" in greece. greece has a horrible history of raiders coming and taking its cultural legacies. the parthenon is still missing some parts!

(but it's not as bad as egypt! i can't imagine there's actually any obelisks left in egypt considering all the ones i've seen in greece, italy, london, france, and other places in europe!)

Peter Oak
04-21-2010, 14:55
You are all invited to come and dive in Portugal, very good, weather, good food., and most of all not expensive :smiley36: