PDA

View Full Version : Ok Ladies, step up to the plate!

Goober
01-24-2008, 17:50
I need a signaling mirror for an up coming drift dive in WPB and Jupiter. Better yet, I'll just say it might be smart to take one. It just seems a wate to pay 11.00-19.00 dollars for a signaling mirror to me.

I was wondering if I got a small, cheap...$1.89 make-up compact:smiley9:, couldn't I just pop out the make-up canister and go? It would be protected from breakage and BC pocket friendly. Have any of you tried this? How do you feel about it? Any reason the silvering on a cheap compact mirror might come off in salt water.

Foo2
01-24-2008, 18:24
DallasDiverGirl told me about this brush(which I bought) from Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P90604&categoryId=C10451&shouldPaginate=true). It is a brush and mirror in one. Also, it is all plastic hardware, so it won't rust. It's a little more than $1.89...but you can brush your long flowing locks on the boat. :)

*Edit* I just found this mirror (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P127119&categoryId=S5300&shouldPaginate=true) compact on the Sephora website too. I'm assuming it has the same plastic hardware.

Navy OnStar
01-24-2008, 18:27
Star Flash Signal Mirror (http://www.bestglide.com/Star_Flash_Info.html)

$6.95 - for a 2 X 3 signal mirror

WestTnDiver
01-24-2008, 19:05
Not a lady, but the cheapest way to go is to glue two old CD's back to back and just keep it in your BC pocket. The next trip make another. Total cost nada.

WAHMof2
01-24-2008, 20:08
The CD's seem like a good idea. Not breakable either.

Grizbear98
01-24-2008, 22:51
You can go even cheaper than 1.89, I have a cheap compact mirror that I'm pretty sure someone bought me from the dollar store. It's double sided with two mirrors, pretty thick, and well, from the dollar store. I haven't used it for diving though, last time I dove, I dove with the university's signal mirrors.

Damselfish
01-24-2008, 23:20
You have to reflect pretty much right at someone for them to see it. The aiming hole in an actual signal mirror helps you do that. And supposedly while CDs are better than nothing, they don't reflect as well as a real mirror. If you were ever in a situation where you needed a mirror I suspect you'd be happiest to have the real thing. They're still pretty cheap.

WAHMof2
02-01-2008, 16:55
You have to reflect pretty much right at someone for them to see it. The aiming hole in an actual signal mirror helps you do that. And supposedly while CDs are better than nothing, they don't reflect as well as a real mirror. If you were ever in a situation where you needed a mirror I suspect you'd be happiest to have the real thing. They're still pretty cheap.

True, for a piece of safety gear $20 isn't a lot of money

NucMed Man
02-02-2008, 00:35
Not sure all places have one but I got mine at a military surplus for about 4 bucks. It is same as issued to pilots and is unbreakable!

Osprey
02-04-2008, 07:37
Most art stores have small mirrors in packs you can get. If you can't find any of the above for WHATEVER reason (I know sometimes the whole city runs out of the one item you want) then at least you have that option

MSilvia
02-04-2008, 08:22
As a word of caution, I got a "waterproof" signal mirror at an outdoor store, and the silvering peeled away after a single dive. If you get one, get a good one that doesn't let the sea in.

pyre24
02-10-2008, 20:01
so much for it being waterproof.

DollFin
02-12-2008, 21:01
I have to laugh at the fact that people spend thousands of dollars on scuba gear and yet balk at paying over $10 for a signal mirror! :smiley36:

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 21:14
I can't believe people are still recommending CDs. Tests have been done... they're worthless.

Despite Matt's bad experience, go to a good outdoors shop and get a proper signaling mirror (such as the ACR Hot Shot Signal Mirror). It may save your life.

Lost (And Found) At Sea: The sobering truth about surface signaling devices (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/accessories/lost_and_found_at_sea)

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 22:07
Is there are such thing as a waterproof smoke bomb type signaling device? Like in the military movies where "pop" smoke to signal the location to get picked up at? I would think that would be pretty effective for miles. Sorry to get off subject.

Damselfish
02-12-2008, 22:10
you can get a dye marker, makes a big dye slick on the surface that would be seen from the air.

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 22:21
Is there are such thing as a waterproof smoke bomb type signaling device? Like in the military movies where "pop" smoke to signal the location to get picked up at? I would think that would be pretty effective for miles. Sorry to get off subject.

Not that you can use outside of law enforcement or military.

Flare guns, however, are a legal option that would not disperse as quickly as smoke. PITA to dive with all of that all the time, however. A dye pack works well.

BeachBunnyCrissy
02-13-2008, 19:51
Target has two sided ones for like a dollar!