PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France -2007

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 07:15
Does anyone still care? I mean, Lance and the magic he brought are gone. Floyd is finished after riding what was one of the most amazing rides I have ever seen last year during stage 16 only to test dirty that night. Heavy weights Jan Ulrich and Ivan Basso, both contenders when Lance rode don't even make it to the starting line last year because of doping.

This year, the race leader, Michael Rassmussen, is thrown off his team for failing to be honest about his whereabouts 2 months ago and missing mandatory drug tests. Alexandre Vinokoruv wrecks early in the tour, has stitches in both knees and rides like a wild man to climb back in the race, only to be caught with someone elses blood in his body.

The fact is, doping has been around forever. Riders were using alcohol, ether, cocaine, basically anything they could get, to help with the pain of the race, basically since the Tour's inception. Amphetamines were popular for obvious reasons. EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone. The list goes on. Do these things bother you as a sports fan or fan of bicycling or is it a bit like hockey, where fighting is just accepted as part of the sport?

For me, it's 5:10 on the west coast and I'm up to see who will wear the maillot jaune after today's time trial.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a fan of drugs in any sport, and Barry Bonds breaking Hank Aaron's HR record makes me ill.

Black-Gorrilla
07-28-2007, 07:38
i was watching it earlier and the tour (more towards the beginning) but i find it very hard to follow.
i been seen all that has been happening, and it is just ridiculous. these are supposed to be the top athletes of their class... and its all this BS about doping and drugs and what not.
i am gonna peak at the results, but don't plan on trying to follow as it goes anymore.

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 08:16
The thing about drugs in sports is that they are there whether we want them or not.

Why not open the field to assisted and unassisted disciplines.

I mean if someone invented a pill that gave you the ability to breath hold for 5 minutes with no side affects would you still snorkel?

I am not a supporter of drugs, just a realist.

They will just find ways of hiding them from screening or using them as training enhancements anyway.

If it is legitamised and an athlete chooses to follow that path I would imagine it would be obvious. Remember the Russian femal weightlifters of the late seventies and early eighties.

Queen
07-28-2007, 08:31
I still love watching the tour! I'm bummed that my cable provider doesn't offer VS though, I try to catch clips wherever I can.

Black-Gorrilla
07-28-2007, 11:18
I mean if someone invented a pill that gave you the ability to breath hold for 5 minutes with no side affects would you still snorkel?

i think you've made your point...

all those guys on the bikes are beyond any fisical conditioning out there... hey ride up an down mountais for days at a time... and some of them are all doped up... and some are'nt
it caies over to other sports too...

i just dont like how barry bonds is shatering a record.... and most say he is roided up... and you know what..it sucks, cause hank arron cant come back and start taking roids to boost his record...

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 13:10
I understand your point about it being there whether we want it to be or not Ajuva. However, I'm afraid that splitting the field into dopers and non-dopers wouldn't work. The whole idea of doping is to gain an edge on the competition. If everyone was aware that you're using Product A, wouldn't they be using it? Take it a step further, since not being detected would still be paramount to doping, why wouldn't guys who want to win enter the non-doping competitions if they believe they're using in a way that can't or won't be detected?

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 15:31
I suppose I just want them to develop my "No Snorkel" Pill.

You can dream can't you!

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 16:31
I suppose I just want them to develop my "No Snorkel" Pill.

You can dream can't you!

That would be sweet :smiley32:

plot
07-28-2007, 16:57
they either need to open up the doors and make it legal for everyone to dope, or shut them completely and ban anyone caught cheating. only way to make it fair for other contestants...

and honestly, i'd take the ban anyone caught cheating stance becuase it's horrible what those guys will do to their bodies to win.

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 18:13
Agreed plot! the tour has had vigorous testing and suspension policies for years now and it's obviously not making a dent in the abuse. It's just one big game to the chemists to stay one step ahead of the testers and one big gamble for the athletes who KNOW that everyone else is doping and that they have to in order to compete and earn a living.

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 18:39
I think that i must be very niaive.

I really think that honour should be something that is an intrinsic part of any sport.
I was raised to tell the truth and to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and unfotunately i come across now as a bit of an easy touch.

plot
07-28-2007, 19:14
they could devide it up into dope free and dope full competitions.

weight lifting does that i beleive... has the non-steroid class.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 21:11
I think that i must be very niaive.

I really think that honour should be something that is an intrinsic part of any sport.
I was raised to tell the truth and to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and unfotunately i come across now as a bit of an easy touch.

I agree with you, I'm much the same way. Let's see how far we can push ourselves naturally.

techgnostic
07-29-2007, 01:40
Alexandre Vinokoruv wrecks early in the tour, has stitches in both knees and rides like a wild man to climb back in the race, only to be caught with someone elses blood in his body.

He was just holding it while the other guy was in the bathroom...or Italy or something.

plot
07-29-2007, 07:41
it was ANOTHER GUYS blood? normally they use there own blood...

thesmoothdome
07-29-2007, 20:10

Just taking from one of the columnists at bicycling.com:

according to l’Equipe, the lab found that Vinokourov’s blood sample showed that he received a transfusion from a compatible donor not long before the time trial.

plot
07-29-2007, 21:53

Just taking from one of the columnists at bicycling.com:

according to l’Equipe, the lab found that Vinokourov’s blood sample showed that he received a transfusion from a compatible donor not long before the time trial.

weird...

dallasdivergirl
07-30-2007, 12:13
Some one called it the tour de Farce the other day. It cracked me up.

I love the tour, I have been to the tour, and will go back, but it's dishearting to see what is going on.

loudgonzo
07-30-2007, 14:41
Nothing but lot's of bad news in sports the past few weeks....Michael Vick, tour de France, Garcia chokes, and I know I'm missing a few more headlines.

plot
07-30-2007, 16:43
Nothing but lot's of bad news in sports the past few weeks....Michael Vick, tour de France, Garcia chokes, and I know I'm missing a few more headlines.

UFC on drugs, nba gambling, barry bonds, british horse racing scam with two jockies, there's a formula 1 scandal going down too... mercedes stealing plans from ferrari or something. I'm sure there's more.

is nobody honest anymore? or is this how it's always been but we've finally gotten to the point where we can catch people?

oh yea, the san francisco 49er's legendary coach of the 80's Bill Walsh died today of leukemia.

thesmoothdome
07-30-2007, 17:57
is nobody honest anymore? or is this how it's always been but we've finally gotten to the point where we can catch people?

I think you hit the nail on the head plot. The media is ferocious. Back in the day, they used to protect our national figures. Today, they're looking to destroy them.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 18:29
im gonna start taking lung steroids... within a few weeks I'll double my bottom time.
sweet.
i just hope i don't turn all feminine or grow an extra ear on my forehead... but it should be worth it... even if i gotta buy a 3rd fin for my 3rd leg.

honestly... what the hell is wrong with all these people... sports where great before this, now it's just drama... pretty soon people will be going to games to bet on who has a heart attack and when...

ufc drugs? whats that about?

plot
07-30-2007, 21:58
im gonna start taking lung steroids... within a few weeks I'll double my bottom time.
sweet.
i just hope i don't turn all feminine or grow an extra ear on my forehead... but it should be worth it... even if i gotta buy a 3rd fin for my 3rd leg.

take enough and maybe you'll grow gills :smiley1:

thesmoothdome
07-30-2007, 22:06
ufc drugs? whats that about?

In the last few months Nate Diaz tested dirty for pot. Melvin Guillard for coke. Royce Grace, Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca for steroids. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there might be a few more cases out there.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 08:12
[quote=loudgonzo;12233] I'm sure there's more.

The Duke Lacrosse scandal is pretty old, but recent headlines dealing with the prosecutor...