PDA

View Full Version : Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

Pages : [1] 2

guggie
07-28-2007, 07:16
I'm interested in seeing how the Scubatoys readers feel on this. I posted the same poll on a different forum and it has 225 voters so far. To not bias the results here, I won't give the numbers. I realize the readership overlaps quite a bit....

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 08:41
No because of all the reasons stated in the pole. In addition it will entagle on lines,

fire diver
07-28-2007, 08:43
It's absolutely not needed for where or how I dive.

FD

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 08:45
I do and will probably continue to here, when I am blue water as opposed to brown water diving I dont though.

Have an Oceanic Pocket in my BC then.

Queen
07-28-2007, 08:48
I don't - it's just annoying.

FishFood
07-28-2007, 10:05
So many options that fit me... I carry my snorkel for some dives, leave it for others. Hopefully my LDS will get my Snap Snorkel in soon.... Stick it in the pocket and you're "good to go".

tc_rain
07-28-2007, 11:50
I carry it in my dive bag and will use it if the water is rough but so far it just sits in the bag.

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 11:51
I hate snorkels. They get in the way and are uncomfortable. if I am having trouble breathing ont he surface i just use my regulator.

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 15:39
Outside of classes, I never used one. I've always swam on my back for surface swims.

MxDiver
07-28-2007, 17:51
I used to, out of habit more than anything else, but on the last dive trip it annoyed me enough to finally take it off and live it in the dive bag

medic001918
07-28-2007, 18:03
Definatly not a snorkel user here. I just don't find them comfortable or overly useful when diving. The pro's don't outweigh the con's.

Shane

ertechsg
07-28-2007, 18:39
Outside of classes, I never used one. I've always swam on my back for surface swims. Thats me

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 18:46
Yes and no. I wear a snorkel when snorkeling, or when I have a long surface swim. If I don't need it, I don't wear it.

It's just like a wetsuit--if I need a thick one, I wear a thick one. If I don't need one, I don't wear one. Wearing a thick wetsuit in hot water can hurt you. Wearing a snorkel when you don't need one can also be detrimental to your diving performance.

picxie
07-28-2007, 19:35
I always have a snorkel with me and always use it while on surface swims. I really don't find it gets in the way much.

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 19:39
Try diving without it. You may be pleasantly surprised. You may consider one of the folding snorkels in a pocket.

picxie
07-28-2007, 20:07
Yes I have thought about getting a folding snorkel. I thought that would be too much hassel getting it in and out, and ready to use, when I do use it most of the time on the surface.

Are the folding ones easily connectable to a mask? Or do you have to fluff around a bit? I wear gloves all the time so I also thought that would add to the hassle.

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 20:50
They get in the way and are uncomfortable plus the entaglement issues.

A folding snorkel is the way to go if you choose to use one.
It's there if needed,otherwise it is stored out of your way.

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 20:53
Oceanic has one with a little velcro (hook and loop) thing that mates to a clip that is in place on your mask strap.

Back in the day when I wore a knife on my leg I slipped a simple tube snorkel behind the straps. Later years I carried a folded one in a pocket. In 400 plus ocean dives I never needed it. I stopped bothering carrying one.

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 20:54
Yes I have thought about getting a folding snorkel. I thought that would be too much hassel getting it in and out, and ready to use, when I do use it most of the time on the surface.

Are the folding ones easily connectable to a mask? Or do you have to fluff around a bit? I wear gloves all the time so I also thought that would add to the hassle.
Oceanic has one with a little velcro (hook and loop) thing that mates to a clip that is in place on your mask strap.

Back in the day when I wore a knife on my leg I slipped a simple tube snorkel behind the straps. Later years I carried a folded one in a pocket. In 400 plus ocean dives I never needed it. I stopped bothering carrying one.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 22:18
No because I lost the stupid thing. Grrrrr.

Skinsfan1311
07-29-2007, 10:31
I carry it in my dive bag and will use it if the water is rough but so far it just sits in the bag.

Same here.

plot
07-29-2007, 17:17
only if i know i'm gonna be doing alot of surface swimming. otherwise it's just extra gear that gets in the way.

rubberduck
07-30-2007, 19:37
i started out using one but after about 50 dives I stopped. My dives are from shore.

TxHockeyGuy
07-30-2007, 19:51
No because I lost the stupid thing. Grrrrr.

Want mine?

I hate snorkels with a passion. They get in the way, break the seal on my mask, and are a general annoyance. For the type of local diving I do they serve absolutely no purpose at all. If I am in the ocean and the surf is so bad I need a snorkel, I'll put my reg in, which is a better option anyway. If I have a long surface swim I'll still use the regulator, sucking down air at the surface uses very little air.

diveordie4u
07-30-2007, 20:00
I do & use it in every dive except ice diving, this way i dont have to pay attention to the roughness of the water & if a surface away from the boat, i can swim for a longer distance.

Regarding the snorkel twangled in line... The line itself is the problem, not the snorkel.

ReefHound
07-30-2007, 20:06
I wear a snorkel when snorkeling. Otherwise, I carry a folding snorkel in a pocket but if that was not an option I would just do without a snorkel.

Most of the time when I see a diver struggling with a leaky mask they have a bigass snorkel hanging off it.

Puffer Fish
07-30-2007, 20:53
I do & use it in every dive except ice diving, this way i dont have to pay attention to the roughness of the water & if a surface away from the boat, i can swim for a longer distance.

Regarding the snorkel twangled in line... The line itself is the problem, not the snorkel.
Same here.. but it could be from being old school. Oh, and wanting to get the most bottom time.

Wolfie2012
07-30-2007, 21:20
I always hated wearing a snorkel with my gear, got in the way and was really uncomfortable but figured I'd try it on a shore dive once. Lost the thing to the depths and figured it was a sign. Haven't worn one since.

poseidon8118
07-30-2007, 21:23
Yep, most of my dives are from the shore so I use my snorkel. If your on a cattle boat and they leave you...at least you can keep your face in the water to beat off the sharks...LOL:smiley1:

plot
07-30-2007, 21:55
Yep, most of my dives are from the shore so I use my snorkel. If your on a cattle boat and they leave you...at least you can keep your face in the water to beat off the sharks...LOL:smiley1:

tell that to the dude in your avatar... pretty sure the snorkel attracted that shark. :smiley20:

poseidon8118
07-31-2007, 00:28

tell that to the dude in your avatar... pretty sure the snorkel attracted that shark. :smiley20:

That dude is me...the reason he didn't bite my head off was because of the snorkel...LOL:smiley20:

picxie
07-31-2007, 03:56
Hey very cool avatar! How did you get that done?

robo
07-31-2007, 09:09
I don't use a snorkel, too much current.

poseidon8118
07-31-2007, 17:29
Hey very cool avatar! How did you get that done?

I have an old copy of Photoshop 6.0. You can cut a photo and paste it onto another one...or you can use lots of chum on your next dive!

medicdiver
07-31-2007, 17:46
I keep a folding snorkle in my gear bag. But since I have not had the chance to dive in the ocean, I don't know if I would use it or not. All of my diving has been in quarries or lakes.

ianr33
07-31-2007, 17:53
IMHO a snorkel is a sign of a new diver who is wearing it because they were told to in OW and have not yet done enough dives to realise that it is useless.

Long surface swims might be an exception.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 23:18
As a divemaster, my LDS requires that I wear my snorkle at all times when assisting with students. Otherwise, I only wear it during heavy sea state conditions. I always pack it in my gear bag so that I have the option of using it if needed.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 23:32
IMHO a snorkel is a sign of a new diver who is wearing it because they were told to in OW and have not yet done enough dives to realise that it is useless.

Especially long surface swims in a high sea state where where waves are constantly crashing over you. A dry snorkel in this case insures you access to air so long as you are not underwater. While this is not likely to happen on most oceanic vacation dives....storms can and do appear from nowhere without warning. Ive been on some dives in Cozumel where we descended in sunny blue skies, and ascended in the middle of a thunderstorm. Sure you can just keep your regulator in, but what if your out of air? Thats why I always have 500lbs of air when I surface. It just depends on the sea state whether or not to take your snorkel with you. If the the sea state is choppy, and there are storm clouds on the horizon...I take mine with me. Even if you have air to spare, its wise to have a backup.

Dive-aholic
07-31-2007, 23:52
It depends. I wear a snorkel when I'm snorkeling. I also keep one in my pocket when I'm teaching because standards require it. For my personal diving, I don't wear or carry a snorkel. Most of my diving occurs in caves, so it's not going to do a whole lot there. And my OW diving just doesn't call for it.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 14:13
As a divemaster, my LDS requires that I wear my snorkle at all times when assisting with students. Otherwise, I only wear it during heavy sea state conditions. I always pack it in my gear bag so that I have the option of using it if needed.

Same here. I only wear mine in the pool, however. In the ocean (assuming calm conditions... safe assumption for classes!), I have a pocket snorkel that lets me comply with the standards.

Especially long surface swims in a high sea state where where waves are constantly crashing over you. A dry snorkel in this case insures you access to air so long as you are not underwater. While this is not likely to happen on most oceanic vacation dives....storms can and do appear from nowhere without warning. Ive been on some dives in Cozumel where we descended in sunny blue skies, and ascended in the middle of a thunderstorm. Sure you can just keep your regulator in, but what if your out of air? Thats why I always have 500lbs of air when I surface. It just depends on the sea state whether or not to take your snorkel with you. If the the sea state is choppy, and there are storm clouds on the horizon...I take mine with me. Even if you have air to spare, its wise to have a backup.

I carry my pocket snorkel on every dive. I have two, the little one that lives in my pocket and is either for standards compliance (see above) or for real emergencies (unlikely), and a more robust pocket snorkel that I'll bring instead if it looks likely, going in, that it may be "good snorkel weather" (i.e.: really bad, or really nice with an expected long surface swim, etc.).

For classes in the pool, I use a "real" snorkel. That's the only place that sees use, though, unless I'm actually going on a planned snorkeling trip.

No Misses
08-03-2007, 14:39
I still wear mine. I do a lot of spear fishing. It is nice to be able to keep my face in the water while carrying dead fish and waiting for the boat to come pick me up. Before anybody asks...Yes, I sometimes empty my bottle pulling grouper out from under ledges. After that type of heavy exertion, my breathing rate can be above normal ;-)

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 14:42
I gave it to the wife while she completes her OW (saved $30). However, I don't wear it. But it's in my bag. Just in case...

dallasdivergirl
08-03-2007, 15:13
I kept knocking into my bcd. I have a tiny noggin, not enough room for all that gear.

chinacat46
08-03-2007, 15:28
I answered no but I do wear one when instructing as PADI requires it. When I'm not instructing though it's either in the gear bag or back in Colorado.

JodiBB
08-03-2007, 17:42
I have to vote, "It depends," but it's not a choice.

I choose not to wear a snorkel, and recently in Jamaica, I ditched mine except when I was snorkeling...

However, in Catalina, where I do most of my dives, I tend to keep mine on me. I learned a valuable lesson when diving around kelp forests. I once had a defective octo and was losing my air fast at 45'. We made a safe ascent, but when I got to the surface, I found 30 feel of kelp between me and the boat. I'm so happy I had my snorkel on that day as the kelp crawl wouldn't have been pleasant if 'd left it on the boat.

So if I see kelp, I don my snorkel. No kelp...no snorkel.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 18:00
I have to vote, "It depends," but it's not a choice.

I choose not to wear a snorkel, and recently in Jamaica, I ditched mine except when I was snorkeling...

However, in Catalina, where I do most of my dives, I tend to keep mine on me. I learned a valuable lesson when diving around kelp forests. I once had a defective octo and was losing my air fast at 45'. We made a safe ascent, but when I got to the surface, I found 30 feel of kelp between me and the boat. I'm so happy I had my snorkel on that day as the kelp crawl wouldn't have been pleasant if 'd left it on the boat.

So if I see kelp, I don my snorkel. No kelp...no snorkel.
Hey, Jodi! Long time no dive!

It's funny, I leave mine behind for the same reason... kelp. I see snorkels + kelp as an entanglement hazard. (and yes, it has happened)

JodiBB
08-03-2007, 18:42
Hey Kalani!!! It has been a while, hasn't it??? Need to get wet soon again!

Oh...yeah....can't....my first stage took a (figurative) dive on my trip to Jamaica....just sent it in to ScubaToys for inspection.....:(

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 17:49
Nope I don't use it. Just gets in the way and inhibits my streamlining.

turtle_guy
08-09-2007, 23:58
nope because once i tried to deflate my snorkel and almost shot to the surface haven't worn one since

PlatypusMan
08-10-2007, 00:13
...my LDS requires that I wear my snorkle at all times when assisting with students. Otherwise, I only wear it during heavy sea state conditions. I always pack it in my gear bag so that I have the option of using it if needed.

Ditto.

tedtim
08-15-2007, 22:44
I now have a fold up version in one of my BCD pockets. About the second dive that I took with it I had to use it to swim out and help someone caught on the surface in some current. She was waving her arms like she was in trouble, but when I got close enough to hear her she said she was trying to do the back stroke into shore.

She was not making much progress.

When we go on vacation we take other snorkels to use when snorkelling.

Coaster
08-15-2007, 23:12
yes because they told me in training to use one.

H2O Skier
08-19-2007, 16:14
I haven't worn my snorkel since the OW certification course. I haven't even thought about it in a couple years. Even for long surface swims when beach diving I don't find it necessary or beneficial.

I showed up for my Rescue Class this morning and ... yep, I forgot it at home.

- Dave.

Hollywood703
08-19-2007, 16:41
I also, only wear it during a class....I dont ever snorkel on the surface, so why carry it.

Jaymeany
08-19-2007, 18:04
SOmetimes I do. But most of the time I swim on my back with my reg in my hand ready to go in case I need it.

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 18:14
I have one in my dive bag..Usualy dont wear it though - depending on the dive type (shore/boat/surface conditions/etc)..

Buoyant1
08-20-2007, 07:45
When it started causing my mask to leak, I switched to the foldie....

Hollywood703
08-21-2007, 21:21
I do not wear my snorkel for recreational dives, however, during classes I do.....if it wasnt required, I would have never bought one......I have never once used it outside of class.....and never plan to.

gtjason2000
08-21-2007, 21:33
I usually wear a snorkel the first dive of a dive trip just in case we stay on the surface for a while, but I usually end up taking it off. Since I have a back inflation bc when on the surface and swimming over an extended distance I tend to swim on m back.

cutter77
08-22-2007, 01:01
...no snorkel, no more.
It was more of a hassle than a benefit.

(Altho I did enjoy just lhanging out face down on the line watching all the divers while waiting my turn to board the boat....very relaxing.)

Charlotte Smith
08-22-2007, 06:36
Don't need it where we dive but would in the ocean...

ScaredSilly
08-22-2007, 10:00
I assume that the poll is wearing a snorkle while diving. :D I did not answer because in some cases I do. For instance, shore diving I might when there is a long swim. Or perhaps when there is a chance that I might want to be on the surface for while.

So my answer - the majority of the time no, but on occasion.

subsur
08-22-2007, 10:03
wasn't there a thread a few days ago with almost identical title?
in any case, nowadays i rarely use it but it's a good habbit to have one. since my bc hose is very short, it interferes with teh snorkle, and if i place snorkle on the right side, it interferes with reg hose. i take it when a long swin is neessary.

Ted S
08-22-2007, 10:09
Sometimes. When I'm doing a long surface swim or if I'm diving somewhere tropical and may want to swim in/out on my stomach it makes sense. There's also the whole potential of getting a ticket for not wearing one in Laguna Beach.

Outside of those cases, nope. It just gets in the way.

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 13:20
Sometimes. When I'm doing a long surface swim or if I'm diving somewhere tropical and may want to swim in/out on my stomach it makes sense. There's also the whole potential of getting a ticket for not wearing one in Laguna Beach.

Outside of those cases, nope. It just gets in the way.

Laguna dropped that policy a few months ago... did you miss the headlines?

Hi, Ted. :)

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 17:37
I often use the snorkel to conserve air when I'm swimming against a current to the anchor line on the boat. Saves me a lot of air...

comet24
08-22-2007, 19:56
Only when I need to for whatever reason otherwise it stays in my dive bag.

Flatliner
08-22-2007, 21:14
I am still pretty new so I DO wear my snorkel. HOWEVER, I am very close to just buying one of those folding ones and keeping it in my pocket.

porsche060
08-24-2007, 14:10
Has anyone been req to wear one beside basic o/w cert?

Denton
08-26-2007, 20:35
Yes, I do.
I use it when I am strokin' on the surface to get back in, or I switch to the snorkle when I go poking around the shallows of the creek the spring flows into.
The snorkle's presence is not even an issue to me, as I don't even notice it.

rjenbody
08-27-2007, 04:15
No, I dive in the St. Clair River in MI mostly and the current rips. The less drag, the better. That and you only surface at your exit point (you dive it like an overhead environment) so you don't need it anyhow.

cmburch
02-25-2008, 12:15
I thought everyone used a snorkel until I join SCUBATOYS forum. I would use my tank up kicking out sucking on my regulator. I rarely swim on my back because I am normally looking down for something to kill and if I am not in an open area, the top of my tank/first stage would get hung up in kelp or sea grass. Most of the fish that I hunt are near and around the kelp, rocks and sea grass. Halibut are the only fish I would go after in the open sandy area. Also when boat diving after jumping in, my snorkel goes into my mouth until we're ready to go under water and when we surface as well to swim back to the boat. I would not have my snorkel in my mouth only when talking to someone. When freediving I always have a snorkel in my mouth unless I am talking to someone. I felt a little foolish giving advice on snorkels while everyone else is saying they rarely even use one and buy the cheapest one.

rye_a
02-25-2008, 12:19
I swim on my back for surface swims, so no need to deal with one more piece of gear.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
02-25-2008, 14:11
I answered no. Snorkels are very useful if you are on the surface in chop and are also OOA or if you don't want to breath your gas for some reason. I do carry one when I dive the beach wrecks at Nags Head. I don't wear one at the quarry or when diving from a boat.

To conserve breathing gas for NC boat dives we pull ourselves along the hang bar and granny line to the anchor line. I can't imagine making a surface swim to the anchor line, assuming it's even possible. We also don't wait around to descend. Buddies often meet on the hang bar. At the end of the dive I hang out on the hang bar for a long safety stop at 15 feet while I wait my turn to board.

If I need a snorkel then something has gone very wrong. Things can go wrong, so I'm thinking about getting a folding snorkel to put in the pocket with my die marker and other stuff that I hope never to need.

rongoodman
02-25-2008, 14:12
The last time I wore one was because the instructor required it in my PADI Rescue class. Sure enough, he asked me to share air and my long hose tangled with it when I tried to deploy it. On an ocean trip I'll take a fold-up with me, but I've never actually used it.

UCFKnightDiver
02-25-2008, 14:41
I dont its annoying and pointless when diving, its not a big deal to me to swim on the surface and raise my head a bit to breath or to use my reg, It gets in the way of things like bc inflator or pulls my mask...etc

My snorkel looks great in the bottom of my dive bag...and thats where it will stay

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 14:55
I thought everyone used a snorkel until I join SCUBATOYS forum. I would use my tank up kicking out sucking on my regulator. I rarely swim on my back because I am normally looking down for something to kill and if I am not in an open area, the top of my tank/first stage would get hung up in kelp or sea grass. Most of the fish that I hunt are near and around the kelp, rocks and sea grass. Halibut are the only fish I would go after in the open sandy area. Also when boat diving after jumping in, my snorkel goes into my mouth until we're ready to go under water and when we surface as well to swim back to the boat. I would not have my snorkel in my mouth only when talking to someone. When freediving I always have a snorkel in my mouth unless I am talking to someone. I felt a little foolish giving advice on snorkels while everyone else is saying they rarely even use one and buy the cheapest one.

If you read the posts, you'll note that most of the people who say they don't use one aren't spearfishing in kelp forests.

I use a snorkel when I'm doing a dive that calls for one. Since I don't hunt, that pretty much only means pool sessions, for me. In your situation, you have a very real reason to wear one, so by all means do so.

If you weren't hunting from the surface, however, I might argue that kelp forests are a reason NOT to wear a snorkel. Kelp has a nasty tendency to grab snorkels and cause a flooded mask. Mo' streamlined is mo' better when it comes to kelp. No getting around it if you're hunting from the surface, however.

rfb3
02-25-2008, 15:55
I take one everytime in the ocean or where the wind/waves could kick up... If its a smooth/small lake that will not have a lot of waves or chop, I leave it behind.

caroln
02-25-2008, 16:21
I always bring a snorkel on trips because I enjoy snorkeling in between dives, or on non diving days, etc, but I never wear it for actual diving anymore. I just got a very cool folding snorkel that I plan to carry with me for all future dives since it can go in my pocket.

doczerothree
02-25-2008, 17:13
I don't use one anymore.

DarinMartell
02-25-2008, 18:05
I don't use one anymore.

What happened to your thoughts in your signiture? "I'd rather have it but not need it, then need it and not have it" (sorry, couldn't resist :smiley36:)

maggs_the
02-25-2008, 20:16
that's why i do still take mine.. i'd rather have it and not need it. it's a comfort thing.

johnyringo
02-25-2008, 20:31
Depends on what I'm doing. for recreational diving, no. For work, sometimes.

skdvr
02-25-2008, 20:33
I bought one when I first started diving and have only used it once and that was to snorkle around the boat when I lost my dive knife. Other than that it is still in the original plastic bag it came in...

Phil

MLenyo
02-25-2008, 21:37
i use my snorkel for now, while still in classes, but we'll see what happens after i have some more dives under my belt.

dallasdivergirl
02-25-2008, 21:58
I don't use one now but I would get like a pocket snorkel for when I do need one.

jeepbrew
02-25-2008, 22:20
The answer is "No" for me.

WaScubaDude
02-26-2008, 00:39
I carry a cool folding snorkel. My ranger BC has a small pocket on the front of the waist belt that holds it nicely. In warmer climes I include it in my Oh- sht kit, a mesh bag with dye marker, strob, signal mirror etc. Used the snorkel once on our trip to Coz in choppy water waiting too long for every one to get off the boat.

Aussie
02-26-2008, 06:27
Some States in Australia (Queensland) require a diver to have a snorkel by law. Sometimes it is policed very strongly and if you have no snorkel you have no dive. Sometimes the operator will simply ask if you have one and everyone says yes (yes at home in the bottom of my dive box).

Personally I do not scuba dive with a snorkel but I always pack one when i go for a trip and sometime i might get the chance to spear or simply snorkel on the surface. The one time it came in handy was when on the GBr in winter we get Minke whales (one of the types that the japanese hunt). These whales love boats and would swim up to a moored boat and simply swim around it for hours. The only way to interact with these whales is by snorkeling with them off the back of the boat. It is an awesome experience as you get these whales coming up to you within a few feet. The problem I had was I didnt have a wide enough angle lens to take pics of them.

Aussie

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-26-2008, 07:43
I carry my snorkel out of habit more than anything, I don't really need it much for actual diving. The thing is a bit of a nuisance, I always end up grabbing it instead of my inflator hose, and I'm always worried I'll lose it ever since it fell off my mask this one time...

Crimediver
02-26-2008, 07:48
I use one. Always have.

Grin
02-26-2008, 08:15
I quit using one a long time ago. Alot of people I know use them still. When I first scraped mine I was a little worrried about it. I bought one of those fold ups and stuck it in my BC pocket. That was just one more unused item I had stuffed in my BC pocketts that I never used. I don't even think about snorkles anymore. I spearfish all the time and have not ever wished I had a snorkle. Of course I use snorkles when snorkling though! I'm kind of glad to hear so many don't use them. I thought I was a renegade, or something, until now. I guess it's all in how comfortable you are on the surface.

rfb3
02-26-2008, 08:33
I think the first time one has to do a suface swimm in really rough seas, with low air, you'll start carrying it (happened to me on my furst blue water dive)...

CompuDude
02-26-2008, 10:18
Some States in Australia (Queensland) require a diver to have a snorkel by law. Sometimes it is policed very strongly and if you have no snorkel you have no dive. Sometimes the operator will simply ask if you have one and everyone says yes (yes at home in the bottom of my dive box).

There was a beach community in SoCal (Laguna Beach to be specific) that until just a few months ago actually had a local code on the books banning both solo diving and diving without a snorkel. I know guys who used to duct tape a snorkel to the back of their tank just to express their displeasure. The code is still on the books, actually, but the "official" policy is that it is no longer enforced, only "safe diving" practices within your training. In reality, I suspect the life guards will use the code to harrass obvious wankers, but the rest of us finally can leave our snorkels in our bags (or pockets).

divingchef
02-26-2008, 10:32
I always have a snorkel in my gear bag, I will only attach it to my mask if the water conditions deem it necessary.....i.e. rough water=snorkel use....

Byte Me
02-26-2008, 11:15
Like many others, it's in the gear bag but it doesn't get out very often!

Don Wray
02-26-2008, 14:19
I use one when working with classes, as required. I use one in the ocean if there it is a drift dive or might involve a swim in current.

meesier42
02-26-2008, 19:01
depends on the dive. Off a boat, no. shore diving yes, as I have been known to do very long surface swims to find dive sites.

pyre24
02-26-2008, 22:06
I do right now because im still taking classes.

Chocoholic
02-26-2008, 22:14
I have one and take it on my trips to snorkle but never use it while diving. I am thinking I might get a folding snorkle to keep in my BCD pocket just in case.

emcbride81
02-26-2008, 22:41
Just like most others, yes, purely for the surface swim on shore dives, or rough water on boat dives. It never gets in the way of my inflator hose, never gets snagged, and never pulls my mask, so I am cool with it.

lmorin
03-01-2008, 18:32
I voted for the fold-up, but it is not strictly true. I modified my BCD with one drill hole through the plastic backplate to add a bungee loop and adjustable clamp, and I attached a bungee loop at the top outside edge of the right shoulderblade integrated weight pouch. The snorkel is held in place by these two items and can be pulled loose easily with one hand. In place, it sits out of sight, but easily accessible.

teog
03-01-2008, 21:04
I was doing some boat/ocean diving last week and on the predive info from the DM we were told the snorkles werent necessary since we will be descending and ascending right next to the boat.

Since I always use my snorkel for the surface interval I left it in place. Well out of 10 dives that week only 3 of them we didnt have a nice little swim to and from the boat.

Moral of the story is you cant predict mother nature and currents. Id rather always be prepared then to be caught with out it. :)

newways
03-01-2008, 21:07
Only used during training

strfish7
03-04-2008, 20:25
Just kinda dropped it a couple of years ago, and never missed it. Oh well...

Crimediver
03-05-2008, 06:05
I only use one when I'm diving.

ScubaJW
03-05-2008, 13:48
I usually don't use the snorkel unless there is a long surface swim, then maybe I will. Usually, I just don't use them because I find it uncomfortable.

RoyN
03-05-2008, 13:54
Some kids (a whole bunch of baby harbor seals) stole my snorkel and it was the Oceanic pocket one so I never went back to buying another one. Besides, I also use a headlamp so I probably don't room for it anyway.

marchand
03-05-2008, 14:53
I used to wear one, but it has been a while. I never used it anyways.

Mtrewyn
03-06-2008, 00:10
I dive in lakes, so I don't need one. When I go to the Ocean I will use one, salt water tastes real bad and is hard to breath while the waves are hitting you in the face.

EuphoriaII
03-06-2008, 13:00
I don't use one unless I'm expecting a long surface swim, which is almost never.

Gombessa
03-06-2008, 14:47
I used to, but stopped because: 1) the kelp around here is grabby, and it took my mask off when my snorkel got snagged once, and 2) the snorkel interferes with long hose deployment.

I'm definitely not anti-snorkel though, I think it's way more fun to surface-swim looking down into the water than on my back.

SkuaSeptember
03-06-2008, 15:34
It depends on the dive. There are a lot of things that are appropriate for some dives but not for others.

giortire
03-06-2008, 19:29
i carry a fold up and if things get rough or I am too low on air, it is there. I am yet to use it.:smiley2:

fkostyun
03-06-2008, 20:44
I have a regular snorkel (permanent fixture in the gear bag) and a foldable pocket snorkel. I have only used the snorkel once when I was doing a long swim from the shore to a boat, it folds up nicely, but, its there if I ever happen to actually need it.

abcitydiver
03-07-2008, 02:22
i carry a fold up and if things get rough or I am too low on air, it is there. I am yet to use it.:smiley2:

that would be me, as well.

willardj
03-07-2008, 07:29
Why, because a snorkel don't work in a Cave and I don't do shore dive's.

easyrider003
03-07-2008, 07:38
I never use mine, never really found a reason to carry it. and it just gets in my way

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 21:58
I don't use them useless I'm snorkeling. I hate the feeling of drag on my head under the water.

fishome25
03-15-2008, 15:52
no way, it just gets in the way

citykid
03-15-2008, 17:04
Only when I am doing a shore dive and need to swim out. But I carry it in my pocket (a foldable one) incase I need to wait to get on the boat while others are getting on.

I find it very uncomfortable to dive with one.

Shellback
03-15-2008, 19:49
I guess for me it is just habit to have one, do not really use it all that much since on surface swims I prefer to swim on my back most of the time.

chris in the socal
03-20-2008, 18:24
I do because I teach other kids and for me not to where is against what I teach.

rawalker
03-21-2008, 00:41
Generally I use a snorkel to conserve air at the surface but that depends on some factors. For instance... This past weekend I was on a trip to San Carlos Mexico and dove San Pedro island. If you know the place it is inhabited by some playful Sea Lions that will at time grab your snorkel. In this case you are better off without a snorkel.

frogman159
03-26-2008, 13:01
I may carry mine tucked away...maybe I can attach it to my backplate somehow:smiley13:

cmburch
03-26-2008, 15:11
Generally I use a snorkel to conserve air at the surface but that depends on some factors. For instance... This past weekend I was on a trip to San Carlos Mexico and dove San Pedro island. If you know the place it is inhabited by some playful Sea Lions that will at time grab your snorkel. In this case you are better off without a snorkel.
Another diver said a similar thing about playful seals or sea lions taking his in the Monterey Bay.

jtkkym
03-26-2008, 17:20
I have it in my bag but I usually don't dive with it.

Duckydiver
03-26-2008, 17:48
I answered no, but on my last dive in the bahamas I wich had it, 3-5' swells.

mselizann
03-26-2008, 19:19
yep- to conserve air, or rather to conserve my hubby-buddy's air
he sucks air so bad, and if I went snorkel free he'd want to too!

aggie99
03-26-2008, 22:19
My OW instructor told me that during a reg recovery excersize when he was first learning he grabbed his snorkel instead of his reg by accident and sucked in a bunch of water. Luckily he was wasn't deep so he was able to get above water and recover but at depth it could hav been fatal. It might sound like a rookie mistake but I could see in a low viz situation and panic started to set in I could make the same mistake. I stow it in a pocket or leave it topside.

CompuDude
03-26-2008, 23:34
My OW instructor told me that during a reg recovery excersize when he was first learning he grabbed his snorkel instead of his reg by accident and sucked in a bunch of water. Luckily he was wasn't deep so he was able to get above water and recover but at depth it could hav been fatal. It might sound like a rookie mistake but I could see in a low viz situation and panic started to set in I could make the same mistake. I stow it in a pocket or leave it topside.

I've never done it, but I've seen many, many students do it in pool sessions, and I've seen more than a handful of experienced divers do it.

I save my snorkel for when I need it, or am forced to wear it by rules.

mm_dm
03-27-2008, 07:55
I save my snorkel for when I need it, or am forced to wear it by rules.

Same here, bro. Fact is, I love to snorkle...but I don't want the friggin thing near me when I dive.

Crimediver
03-27-2008, 13:05
I wear one all the time for rough seas on the surface. It can be an important piece of gear.

mm_dm
03-27-2008, 14:42
In that scenario it makes perfect sense. Most of the diving I do is freshwater lakes and it rarely ever gets rough enough to need one. I don't have the swells you get coming over the back of your head.

Z-naught
03-28-2008, 04:26
I find snorkels to be superfluous in SCUBA diving. Snorkeling, by definition of course, requires a snorkel. But why wear a snorkel if one does not plan on snorkeling? I see no legitimate reason to wear one if a regulator is also present. If it is required to wear a snorkel during SCUBA training, one might as well wear ice skates and chaps as well, for all the good it will do.

AMASKU8200
04-02-2008, 00:02
I ONLY USE MINE FOR CLASSES. WHEN I HAVE TO MAKE A SURFACE SWIM I SWIM ON MY BACK ITS JUST EASIER. I HAVE ALSO STARTED USING A FULL FACE MASK AND THEY DON'T MAKE SNORKELS FOR THAT.:smiley20:

obrules15
04-05-2008, 12:25

Some folding flexible snorkels have velcro snaps so you can pull it out of your pocket and jam it on your head they do stick.

obrules15
04-05-2008, 12:35
I have had snorkels twist and cause my mask to flood so I haven't used them since just prior to AOW cert however, in preparing for rescue felt guilty so bought fold up ones for pocket. I now leave those in my pocket and dive in peace.

aprilgoddess1987
04-05-2008, 14:31
no, its an entanglement, my husband is cave certified and refuses to wear one

cmburch
04-06-2008, 07:03
As for snorkel use, it depends on your needs. 90% of my dives are in Kelp Forests and rocky sea grass areas. I only dive in the Pacific Ocean. I always use a snorkel when SCUBA diving. I have been using a snorkel since I was a kid. There is a lot to look at in the Pacific Ocean. Some of my biggest ling cods have been underneath me in less than 25 feet of water when I was kicking on the surface. I normally put my Reg back in my mouth before swimming down to shoot it. A snorkel allows me to look down from the surface without having to turn my head to breath or to loose sight of whatever I am hunting, reduces my chance of swallowing saltwater, and conserves my tank air while on the surface. If I did not have anything to look at, swam only in calm seas, or was able to swim on my back in areas without sea grass, kelp, rocks and other obstacles; I may not wear one. Also it is against the law in California to spear pelicans, gulls, and cormorants so no sense in swimming backwards. I have had kelp pull on my snorkel (underwater on SCUBA), but never where water was let in. Riffe and Omer make flexible tube snorkels just for people with kelp pulling problems. I see no need to fork out the extra money for one though. I have no intention of surfacing in kelp.

Smashee
04-10-2008, 02:52
In Queensland, it's an OHS requirement to have a snorkel on you. It doesn't specify where on you.:smiley32: Some people bungy them to their tank, carry a folding one or just say it's in their BCD pocket.

I quite like my snorkel. It's handy for surface swims in rough conditions, good for a quick swim during a surface interval and for bimbling around but it is a minor PITA on my mask. Not annoyed enough by it to remove it though.

CC1020
04-10-2008, 10:01
I have to wear one when I am working as an assistant instructor (you didn't have that as a choice in the poll :)), and when I am in blue water I keep one with my SMB bungeed at the back of my BC

gthomas
04-10-2008, 10:20
I see the need in them in rough water, but other wise they just get in the way.

nashwl
04-16-2008, 13:12
I stopped taking mine with me, just never used it.

ChrisC
04-16-2008, 13:21
On one of my last dives last year my son and I were practicing buddy breathing, the snorkel kept getting in the way. I haven't used one since. I keep it in my bag so I have it if conditions warrant.

harb99
04-16-2008, 13:45
I do not normally wear one unless it is required - I am considering getting a folding one to stick in a BC pocket.

Sparkyvett
04-17-2008, 11:30
I wear one, but I'm still kinda a newby...

Sounder
04-17-2008, 11:44
Nope, I never wear one. Haven't worn one since I completed my OW dives... I DO bring one when I go on vacation, but I use it for snorkling if I want to snorkle on the last day. Never have it while diving though.

mobeeno
04-19-2008, 21:10
I'm interested in seeing how the Scubatoys readers feel on this. I posted the same poll on a different forum and it has 225 voters so far. To not bias the results here, I won't give the numbers. I realize the readership overlaps quite a bit....
I dont use a snorkel when I am in my regular diving area but always use one when I am at an unfamiliar dive site to me.

cmburch
04-19-2008, 21:26
Today may be a good day for a snorkel?

RoyN
04-20-2008, 00:04
I would put the pocket snorkel in my drysuit pocket. But that won't happen until I get the drysuit.

cutter77
04-20-2008, 00:58
No, except in rougher conditions, then I carry a foldup.

fisheater
04-20-2008, 01:16
Yes.

For surface swims and as a precaution for being on the surface longer than planned (same reason I have a safety sausage, whistle & mirror).

UltimateAg
04-21-2008, 02:16
Carry a stowable, best of both worlds: out of the way and available within seconds if needed.

Sounder
04-21-2008, 16:35
Nope, never. I use a "long hose" type regulator set-up which it would greatly interfere with. I've taken one in my luggage with me to the tropics thinking that I'll snorkel on my last day, but I never end up doing that - I've seen everything while diving and usually use the last day to collect t-shirts and eat... eat a lot.

USF_Diver
04-21-2008, 20:36
Nope, I have tanks to go underwater not stay on the surface and look below.

DiverMAN
04-21-2008, 21:42
I dont wear my snorkel, cause I use to always grab it thinking it was my inflater hose, it got annoying...

Marcus
04-21-2008, 22:31
I still use one, but am considering one of the Sherwood Axis foldups. It is nice to use a snorkel at the surface at times, but not often vital.

CompuDude
04-21-2008, 23:12
I still use one, but am considering one of the Sherwood Axis foldups. It is nice to use a snorkel at the surface at times, but not often vital.

Let us know if you find some. They were discontinued some time ago... :(

Marcus
04-21-2008, 23:31
Didn't know they were discontinued. It looked like a nice foldup snorkel.

aaronle06
05-13-2008, 03:02
i bought one for my openwater and for freediving, but i think i want to jump on into the fold-up ones. do they make a foldy with a purge?

CompuDude
05-13-2008, 03:13
i bought one for my openwater and for freediving, but i think i want to jump on into the fold-up ones. do they make a foldy with a purge?

Oceanic Pocket Snorkel. Best folding snorkel made.

Not specifically billed as such, but the current Tusa Hyperdry Imprex II snorkels fold up, although not quite as nicely as the Oceanics. Best snorkel made, period. IMO.

coral cowgirl
05-13-2008, 09:11
I've made a few long swims and it was easier for me to swim face down instead of on my back. But I carry a foldup cause I don't use it very often.

violakat03
05-19-2008, 09:39
I voted for the fold-up, but it is not strictly true. I modified my BCD with one drill hole through the plastic backplate to add a bungee loop and adjustable clamp, and I attached a bungee loop at the top outside edge of the right shoulderblade integrated weight pouch. The snorkel is held in place by these two items and can be pulled loose easily with one hand. In place, it sits out of sight, but easily accessible.

I know I'm quoting an older post in this thread, but is there anyway you can post a picture of this? It sounds like a much better setup than I have.

As for me, no, I don't wear a snorkel and you have no idea how glad I am to see that there are many others who have problems with it breaking the mask seal. I also have problems with it bothering my ear, it gets caught up on my cartiledge piercing and hurts like the dickens.

However, my hypocritical AOW instructors (who never wear theirs and probably don't even have them in their bags) insist that I MUST have it on my somewhere during class, so I ghetto rigged it with a zip tie and rubber band to my BC. It's not pretty, it's still in the way, and it's slipped out of the rubber band several times now. But it's there and they're happy. As soon as class is over it's pulled off and tossed in the bottom of my bag. All the local sites are quarries and I figure if I ever get into a situation I might need it, I'll take it with me, but it's not going to happen locally.

MetalHealth
05-27-2008, 00:26
I really don't mind my snorkel most of the time unless I'm in a strong current. I do have a Tusa Imprex like the one mentioned in another reply and it is super easy to detach under water and folds nicely into my Ranger's pocket (also very inexpensive). The main reason I carry one is the possibility of surfacing in bad weather with little or no air. Highly unlikely but I like being prepared for anything.

DelrayDiver
05-29-2008, 14:52
Absolutely! I live in So. Florida so all of our dives are off a boat or by shore entry - and I will tell you, they are absolutely well worth the minimal effort to either carry a "folder" or full fledge Snorkel. While boat diving, there will be times where you are waiting to board after coming up from a dive, I usually have around 700-500psi of air left in my tank - since I do not and you should not have less than 500-300psi left in a tank, I use my snorkel as I wait for the captain to pick me up - not to mention the white-caps and the benefit if you were to find yourself in a position where your ability to breath (say you were left behind like that couple in Australia) depended on it. Don't be a dummy and carry a snorkel - it's a small investment that may save your life one day!

Dive well and safe! :smiley20:

Rainer
05-29-2008, 15:35
you should not have less than 500-300psi left in a tank

Why?

RikRaeder
05-29-2008, 15:38
I only ever where mine in the shower anymore

whitworthsa
06-11-2008, 07:46
Thankfully during our OW class our instructor only made us take the snorkel with us when we actually needed it (I think just the snorkel swim). I haven't used it since as I find it gets in the way. I would however consider a fold up snorkel for the pocket "just in case"

dive10killer
06-11-2008, 07:57
Sometimes when diving in the ocean.

Vercingetorix
06-11-2008, 07:59
Thankfully during our OW class our instructor only made us take the snorkel with us when we actually needed it (I think just the snorkel swim). I haven't used it since as I find it gets in the way. I would however consider a fold up snorkel for the pocket "just in case"Which cert agency? NAUI says a snorkel is used on on dives for OW, AOW, Rescue, etc.

buddhasummer
06-11-2008, 19:15
I dont use one or carry one, although I guess if you do beach dives with long surface swims it could be useful depending on how you surface swim, I keep meaning to buy a folding snorkel to keep in my pocket for those times when my navigation is up the creek and I surface some distance from the boat but never get around to it partly I think coz I usually surface swim on my back but mainly coz I guess its just not that important to me for the diving I do and there is no room in my pocket. Bottom line for me they just seem to get in the way and offer no value other than nuisance value.

fisheater
06-11-2008, 23:55
On a recent dive trip, I ended up using my snorkel ON THE BOAT!

I was sitting to the fore of the cockpit on a 17' Zodiak that was heading upwind into some good chop. The spray was getting excessive, so I asked the captain to hand me my mask.

I put the mask on and I could then see again, even during the spray. However, I was constantly spitting out the salt water after each swell. So, I put the attached snorkel in my mouth and could enjoy clear air and vision, even with the spray.

I'm condident that I looked like a TOTAL DORK, but I don't care. I was quite comfortable.

DaneMeyer20
06-12-2008, 05:37
gave it up some time ago. It was a force of habit but i once i dove a few times without it that was enough for me to toss it

CowboyFan&Diver
06-17-2008, 18:03
I usually dont use it. Gets in the way.

character157
06-23-2008, 20:40
For now the snorkel is still a habit and I have used it more than once. It does not bother me so for now it will stay where it is.

stingray94
06-23-2008, 21:16
I don't use mine because when I am swimming on the surface I swim on my back so the snorkel would get water in it anyway. I just keep mine so that if I ever decide to take another course I don't have to go spend more money on something I will never use again also I like to snorkel around in the pool.

crgjpg
06-23-2008, 21:33
I have worn one being fairl new. I believe I have enough experience now that I will get a fold up or rolled up snorkle to put on my pocket.

dive10killer
06-23-2008, 22:39
Not no more!

digital_steve
06-23-2008, 23:14
... what's a snorkel?
:D

Empacher
06-23-2008, 23:19
it is a liability..More to catch on and rip your mask off!

zahgurim
06-24-2008, 04:50
My snorkel stays in the gearbag, unless I'm actually snorkelling.

Souvy
06-26-2008, 06:50
Mine stays in my bag unless the conditions are rough. So for most shore dives, it just lives in my bag, but I'll take it out for boat dives if there's a decent chop.

Martin2
06-26-2008, 07:42
I carry a fold up snorkel just in case I'd need it, but mostly they're just a hassle.

bassplayer
06-26-2008, 07:58
I utilize mine on the surface whenever the opportunity arises to save some air... But I really like the idea of the folding snorkel that keeps it out of the way during the dive. I just wonder if I would bother using it anymore. I guess it depends on how easy it is to deploy and pack up.

Charles R
06-26-2008, 08:35
I keep it in my dive bag in case a op forces me to have one and the one I have is folding and will fit in my pocket. So no I Don't Dive with a snorkel it just seems to always be in the wrong place.

allknighter237
06-26-2008, 09:29
my snorkel stays in my bag most of the time especially since most of my diving is in a spring. it always gets in the way and is uncomfortable so i will usually only bring it out for ocean dives and even then i keep it in my pocket till i need it.

FailedExistence
06-26-2008, 09:35
I leave mine in the gear bag as well. I didn't like the way it felt on my mask and it was always bumping me or I was bumping it which just got irritating.

violakat03
06-27-2008, 00:53
I don't use mine because when I am swimming on the surface I swim on my back so the snorkel would get water in it anyway. I just keep mine so that if I ever decide to take another course I don't have to go spend more money on something I will never use again also I like to snorkel around in the pool.

Do people look at you crazy when you snorkel in the pool? I've been tempted to do this several times now but never actually have. I'm afraid the lifeguards will tell me it's not allowed or something, I guess.

CompuDude
06-27-2008, 01:38

Do people look at you crazy when you snorkel in the pool? I've been tempted to do this several times now but never actually have. I'm afraid the lifeguards will tell me it's not allowed or something, I guess.

They're fine with it as long as you keep moving. ;)

cmburch
06-27-2008, 07:12

Glass may not be allowed in some public pool areas, so a mask may not be used at some pools.

dive10killer
06-27-2008, 19:47
in my pocket!

DallasMarineBio
06-27-2008, 19:52
Threw mine in the trash a long time ago. Once I was a DM for an instructor that insisted we wear them to "set an example for the students" luckily she changed her mind and just let us keep them under the backplate ...had she not changed her mind I was going to go get one of those really tiny kiddy snorkels from walmart in silent protest :)

jimmysdevoted
06-30-2008, 17:46
i weaarone because i am a skin diver. tadaaaaaaaa

violakat03
07-01-2008, 02:48

Glass may not be allowed in some public pool areas, so a mask may not be used at some pools.

I guess that would be easily solved by using the plastic mask I bought at K-Mart a couple years back for snorkeling before I got into diving!

cmburch
07-01-2008, 06:47

I thought my wife knew how to swim. When I went to water polo practice, she would be off to the side lap swimming. She wants to get certified for SCUBA and I find out she only knew this lopsided modified breaststroke. I got her a mask and snorkel. It seemed to help in getting her up to speed quickly on freestyle and straightened out her strokes. I think she also used fins in her new workouts. It seemed that the SCUBA class offered by the college motivated her to learn to swim. She now just uses swim goggles.

cmburch
07-01-2008, 07:09
I now have 5 sets of snorkels. 2 older model Tusa Imprex, 1 Tusa Platina II, and 2 Aqua Lung Impulse 3. I like the Platina and Impulse 3 the best. I give my older snorkels away when my buddies lose theirs. It is interesting to see the progression on the 3 different Imprex models over the years mainly in diverter size and bottom purge. I switched to Platina rather than the newest Imprex due to low profile. But it does not breath as easy as the humongous Impulse 3.

I am surprised about how many SCUBA divers were required to have a snorkel and now voice negative opinions against them. It is like a revolt that makes a child angry at being told what to do. I never knew it was a requirement until becoming an ST forum member. I am also reading about fins not passing inspection. I can not remember ever being checked. I just used my dad's old fins. Why require a snorkel if there is nothing to look at from the surface or it is not needed?

rumblefish
07-01-2008, 07:55
"Why require a snorkel if there is nothing to look at from the surface or it is not needed?"

Surface swims are the only thing I can really think of...might be helpful if you're doing shore diving. That being said, I recently went to Bonaire and did a bunch of shore dives without a snorkel. Just ended up paddling out backwards on my back to reach the drop off.

divingbuddy
07-01-2008, 13:36
There has been the odd time a snorkel on the surface was handy, so I do carry one in my drysuit pocket. For well over 99% of the other dives, the snorkel stayed out of my way (in the pocket).

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Grizbear98
07-01-2008, 14:00
I still wear mine, I actually used it in Belize in a low air situation in rough surf. the diving I've done so far has been with class or scuba club at school, with the person who certified me, so I'm pretty sure I should still be using a snorkel in her presence. I also figure I paid enough for it why not use it, although a few times I have confused it for my inflator hose, same color and shape

Vegas
07-01-2008, 14:14
I actually use my snorkle quite a bit -- surface swims, waiting to get on the boat, looking around at what's below me
while waiting for a buddy or
group to join me in the water, in choppy water...all the stuff you've heard mentioned already, i guess...
(There was one time I was thrilled to have it as i got to watch the antics of about 40 or more sea lions below and around me during a surface swim - neat!)

However!
I have gotten sick of it tugging on my mask strap, and all that crap they
put on snorkles now to make them stay "dry" is just a mess IMO.

I have purchased a very simple folding snorkle, :smiley20:
no purge valve (one grain of sand stuck in that and
your snorkle is now a big straw to suck up water through), and no "dry" baffles at the top. Its
pretty flexible and rolls up pretty small so I can stick it in my BC pocket.
I'm delighted!:smiley9:

JHodgeCMI
07-25-2008, 11:45
Ocean maybe otherwise no...

andyrent
07-25-2008, 12:01
I wear a snorkel, because I was taught that way. I'm a new diver. I may lose it after I finish my AOW later this year.

Ladyvalea
08-26-2008, 13:07
Yes, in lakes....I like to float at the top and look at fish..

Navy OnStar
08-26-2008, 14:02
Probably will get a folding one.

Usually have it on when I shore dive.

Usually don't use it from the boat because if the sea state is that rough, I'm not in it.

When doing PS dives I have a FFM and have no use for the snorkel.

JCAT
08-26-2008, 14:08
The only time I wear one is when my wife and I snorkel. Diving, no.

GIFFMANN
08-26-2008, 14:18
After this past weekend, I won't typically wear mine anymore. Just felt like it kept getting in the way.

I would not mind a fold up one to stow away, however.

chixdigit
09-02-2008, 15:34
I have not gone diving in quite a long time so I forgot how ANNOYING a snorkel can be! I did not use it at all during my 3 recent dives, but it was still attached to my mask. I think I lost most of the hair in my left temple from the snorkel clip (or the snorkel itelf). This was the most annoying and useless piece of equipment I had..
I might use a snorkel while snorkeling, but when I have a tank and reg, I either just use the reg, or just breath air through my mouth while on the surface or swimming (I always swim on my back, so my face is always facing up).

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 18:25
I always keep mine in my pocket. If you come up and the boat is gone a 12 hour swim is difficult without it. Of course I always wear it when teaching as it is a PADI standard.

trekkindave
09-02-2008, 22:31
just stopped wearing one.. tangle hazard on mono line...

bsktcase93
10-31-2008, 21:45
i use it for shore dives, and some boat dives but not when i dive with the fd or at dutch springs

Zeagle Eagle
11-01-2008, 13:04
I have one that bends up and I keep it in my BC pocket depending on the situation. It's nice to have for a long swim back to the boat. I generally never use it however.

monant
11-01-2008, 13:29
I use one only when I'm diving in rough conditions, in case I may have to stay at the surface for a period of time.

UCFKnightDiver
11-01-2008, 13:43
snorkels are absolutely pointless when diving unless you are doing a long surface swim. On a boat, it is safer to keep ur reg in your mouth if there are bad seas, I dont see how a snorkel would help you that much anyways. You should plan your gas to have some air left on the surface, if you come up with notthing maybe you shouldnt be doing that dive!

Crimediver
11-01-2008, 14:24
A snorkel saved my butt in rough seas. I carry one. And I came up with plenty air.

UCFKnightDiver
11-01-2008, 14:26
so... why didnt you just keep your reg in your mouth....?

cmburch
11-01-2008, 15:25
Northern California coast diving may require the use of a snorkel. No sense in burning up tank air or having to rely solely on the tank air while on the surface. Dive smart, dive safe. Don't drown at the surface of the water while SCUBA diving.

Flatliner
11-01-2008, 15:44
I just got back from Bonaire and I actually bought a new snorkel (Dry) for the trip as I figured on a lot of surface swims. Well, by day 2, I had taken it off and only used it on the snorkeling trip to the mangroves after that. I am going to get a fold up before the next trip and leave the regular one at home.

Merrimorte
11-01-2008, 19:31
Many reasons why I don't.. Well, when I am not taking a class that requires I have one...

- I have long hair, and it pulls it and get entagled in it. (Don't always want or need to use a hood)

- it is annoying

- Don't use it, don't need it

-I am not snorkling!

Splitlip
11-01-2008, 19:39
I use one only when I'm diving in rough conditions, in case I may have to stay at the surface for a period of time.
See, I don't get that. In my experience, snorkels don't work in rough conditions.
I snorkel a lot and I SCUBA a lot. People keep saying they like a snorkel when it gets rough. As I say, I don't understand.

I DO get the kelp crawl out west, but otherwise, the down side IMO far outweighs any upside.

cmburch
11-01-2008, 21:12
It may not have only to do with kelp. With chop and wind outside the kelp line, when I surface the snorkel goes immediately into my mouth. The reg will also work. It is just a habit to conserve air. Without tank air, I may be coughing up saltwater in rough conditions. We do not normally kelp crawl if not necessary. Though this year has been pretty bad. We swim under the kelp on SCUBA.

cutter77
11-01-2008, 21:57
No, but I have a fold up stashed where I can get to it if necessary. I prefer to make my surface swims on my back. (But I do like just hanging out til last on the line and watching all the action below on my snorkel.)

Crimediver
11-02-2008, 07:30
so... why didnt you just keep your reg in your mouth....?

I did keep it my mouth until I had to switch to a snorkel. I don't know if you have ever come up in heavy seas and need to swim to a boat for a long period of time in a survival situation. I carry a snorkel for the same reason I carry flares, mirror, and other safety gear. I have done the "swim for life" in rough seas and current. I surfaced with 2 other divers on a wreck dive. The up line had parted from the wreck and we came away from the boat. After about a half-hour of hard swimming I ran my tank dry. I had a snorkel and the other 2 divers I was with did not. I swam on my back until my legs were tired, then would roll face down, using the snorkel in the waves and swim some more, using a different set of muscles to kick with. I could see the other two people attempting this method. They had to use their regs when swimming face down to be able to breath as a wave would smack them in the face every few seconds. As hard as we were working, they used up their remaining air and were forced to eventually stick to swimming on their backs. I made it to the boat and everything turned out OK and we laugh about it now, but I am not sure I could have made it without the snorkel. My two friends now carry one with them on every ocean dive. If you are ever in rough seas it can be a vital piece of gear. If you are fiving caves or quarries it may not be a big deal to have one but if you go to dive where big waves can kick up I would take one with you. If you don't want to wear one, get a fold up model or bungie one to your backplate.

rumblefish
11-02-2008, 09:05
No, I don't use a snorkel. It represents an entanglement hazard. I've never breathed a tank below 500psi and have very good air consumption. I swim backwards on the surface. If I need to swim face down then I breath off my reg. If the surface is choppy, I submerge and make my way to the destination underwater.

Lj82
11-02-2008, 09:14
I don't put on my snorkel anymore because my hair always get entangled by it's clip. I still carry it with me to trips though, as I like to snorkel and in case the surface current at some areas are strong, I can use it on the surface.

sea princess
11-02-2008, 19:37
Since I am a new diver and this is how I was taught i wear a snorkel. I think i will always keep one in my possesion but maybe change to a pocket snorkel.

traildawg59
11-02-2008, 20:32
Yes because it is a habit and I'am still kinda new

chicken
11-03-2008, 05:43
I only take it with me during a dive class requiring one, otherwise it stays in the gear bag.

heydn62
11-08-2008, 12:06
I like to snorkle on the surface after the dive. I'm often the first one to get low on air, and I don't really want to just wait on the boat while everyone els finishes.

Empacher
11-08-2008, 13:49
I do not use one except in ocean dives. I feel that it would just get in the way on most of my dives..I am considering a fold up....

Splitlip
11-13-2008, 22:10
All these comments about needing a snorkel when ocean diving....

Keep a folder in a pocket if it makes you feel better, but a snorkel is a more a hazard than a benefit when diving, particularly from a boat in the ocean; especially in a current.

They snag on float lines, fishing line and they snag on granny lines. In a stressfull situation you will grab it instead of your inflator or breath on instead of your regulator.

If you take a finger on a wreck or reef in a 2-4k current, the snorkel will break your mask seal.

Dive ops here will make sure you have your reg in your mouth when you enter the water, but I have seen probably a dozen people switch to their snorkels at the surface to "conserve air" then attempt to decend with it in their mouths.

You can always tell the NOOBs to the ocean on a charter. They are the ones with the tube drooping off their mask. The kooks are the ones with the huge dry ones.

Wetnurse28
11-13-2008, 22:29
I still have my snorkel and I use it....but for only dive classes

I AM REQUIRED TO USE IT FOR ANY CLASSES I TAKE.

stuid f... rule

Splitlip
11-13-2008, 22:41
I still have my snorkel and I use it....but for only dive classes

I AM REQUIRED TO USE IT FOR ANY CLASSES I TAKE.

stuid f... rule

Yes it is.

Select training facilites I know of don't allow the students to wear the snorkels outside the pool. 4 or 5 ocean dives with the hazards I described... I guess they figure the greater liability is to have some student get in a panic situation when his mask floods, head gets snagged or experiences an uncontrolled accent because he is pulling on his snorkel instead of his shoulder dump.

cmburch
11-14-2008, 00:26
You can always tell the NOOBs to the ocean on a charter. They are the ones with the tube drooping off their mask. The kooks are the ones with the huge dry ones.

That is the humongous Aqua Lung Impulse 3 in my mouth just outside the kelp line. A pic with spearguns and float line. The floating stuff is kelp.

I may be in the NOOB category and definitely a kook with a semidry.:smiley36:

Our boats anchor on the outside edge of the kelp for some of the dives.

Splitlip
11-14-2008, 06:22

That is the humongous Aqua Lung Impulse 3 in my mouth just outside the kelp line. A pic with spearguns and float line. The floating stuff is kelp.

I may be in the NOOB category and definitely a kook with a semidry.:smiley36:

Our boats anchor on the outside edge of the kelp for some of the dives.

Ah yes. I aknowledged earlier in the thread the need for one when kelp crawling.
I am a right coaster though, and that is where my head is. I truly want the friends I have made here to have a safe and comfortable experience when they visit. I also want them looking cool doing it. :)

(I have also advised potential visitors not wear those Ho Chi Minh looking Teva sandles here. They too scream KOOK. And NO sneakers on the beach.)

cmburch
11-14-2008, 08:55
We usually swim under the kelp if possible. Kelp crawling is not the norm. Some beginners tend to kelp crawl more - they may surface inside the kelp or surface on the wrong side of the kelp and not have enough air to submerge again and swim under.

This year though due to the upwelling of rich nutrients the kelp is unusually dense and covering a greater area so swimming through the kelp may be a necessity for shore divers.

I am just having a good time posting.

I also wear Teva's. I do not like when sand or grit gets between the footbed or straps though when hiking. We use to wear tennis shoes in the water (Yosemite, Eastern Sierras, Delta, Coast, etc.) to protect our feet from rocks, fishhooks, twigs, etc.

I also wear my arch support Nike's with socks on the beach. And of course I tend to get them and my pant cuffs wet when filling a bucket for my daughter.

I think the dorky looking sandals are the plastic Dutch style.

I am on a right coast of the Pacific Ocean.

heydn62
11-14-2008, 08:59

Hey.....I think you're talking about me here. :smiley5: I do like to use a snorkle, but I do always seem to grab it when reaching for something else though. I do want to get one of the foldable ones soon.

Splitlip
11-14-2008, 17:18

Those are what I wear!http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/crocs/crocs160861_95116_lg.jpgLOL

They ARE cool. :)

James1010
11-14-2008, 18:14
I used to wear mine but I was in a over hang and it kept getting in the way. It also was uncomfortable around my head and I mostly do boat dives so I am not ever swimming out to a site.

kjvander
11-22-2008, 07:21
i have mine for classes and for taking on trips....and trips only because then i can snorkle and look down at what i will be diving at later while i'm on my SI....other than that...really don't use it. however most of my diving is done from boat....if i did more shore diving the situation might be different....who knows..

scubastud
11-22-2008, 07:38
I stopped using mine for the reasons posted here, if I swim , I swim on my back anyhew...I do bring a snorkel with me always- last trip to Carribean, inbetween dives we stopped at the "blue room" and snorkled there a while, a couple people didn't bring thier snorkles and missed out on the fun!

maverick
11-22-2008, 07:59
No, just quit using a snorkel.

James1010
11-22-2008, 09:24
No I do not use a snorkel unless I am doing a shore dive and I have some distance to go before diving. Other than that I do not use one for the reasons of entanglement, and it's bothersome at some points.

drako
11-22-2008, 09:26
Carry a fold one sometimes....I like to carry my pocket mask in one and my oxycheq light in the other pocket with easy acess to both so sometimes I just leave it in unless I feel that I 'should' take it; i.e. not perfect conditions.

teerlkay
11-22-2008, 09:32
. If you come up and the boat is gone a 12 hour swim is difficult without it.

Yeah, like a 12 hour swim with one is not difficult :smiley2:

I don't use one

teerlkay
11-22-2008, 09:34

Those are what I wear!http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/crocs/crocs160861_95116_lg.jpgLOL

They ARE cool. :)

that's what i wear - and i agree- they are dorky and cool

mac
12-13-2008, 11:46
I stopped using one for awhile and regretted it when doing a wreck dive from a boat. Surface was rough and a snorkel (or reg) was really needed for the reference line prior to descent. One diver sucked through 40 BAR on the surface for not wearing a snorkel. Not sure how much I consumed, but it was enough to shorten my bottom time. You can bet I used one on subsequent dives at the site.

But I guess it really depends on surface conditions. If the surface is calm and you are doing a boat dive with a descent immediately after entry, then no snorkel.

DMWiz
12-13-2008, 15:32

First I'm not a diver (http://forum.scubatoys.com/surface-interval/19752-tank-burst-disc.html) and now I'm a nOOb!!!:smiley29::smiley36:

I wear one and keep it on at all times mainly out of convenience. I do about 30/70 shore/boat dives and use the same mask for both. It stays put and I have never confused it for my inflator. I guess if you don't dive with one this could happen. My inflators lays flat on my chest nowhere near my face.

Once I did begin to submerge with my snorkel in my mouth :smilie39: but none saw me so that's okay!:smiley2: I still laugh about that one when I remember.

I have to wear one for classes and I use the same mask as well.
I often dive in the self-proclaimed fishing capital of the world and I have yet to be entangled by fishing line, not to mention you'll find fishing line pretty much anywhere you dive down here in S. FLA! Can my snorkel get tangled up by monofilament? YES, but so far my tank valve and fins have found more fishing line than my simple J-tube by a large margin.

I will not be hassled or looked down upon by anyone for wearing a snorkel, if people don't like it, it's dust off my shoulders.

And if that makes me a nOOb, so be it! At least I'm not a Kook... I wear a j tube!

dannybot
12-13-2008, 22:02
I use one when I snorkel, but not when I dive.

5thDayDiver
12-30-2008, 06:10
I always carry one with me in the dive bag, but mainly for use during surface interval or like the time on ride to dive sight and stopped to snorkel with dolphins.