PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Toys Large Self sealing safety tube

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 09:26
Can anybody tell me the diameter when rolled up?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 10:03
When rolled up, the tube is flattened, so it essentially has a diameter of 0.

Site says it's 8.75" across, and it will probably be 4-6 inches "thick" when rolled up. Just a guess. So a tube, 8.75 inches long and maybe 6 inches across.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 15:24
Can anybody tell me the diameter when rolled up?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube

I think mine is a little smaller than the diameter of a 12oz can of coke. So that would put it about 3 inch or so I'd guess in diameter.

Note: this has a dump valve in it that you can see in the picture that adds a little to the diameter and doesn't let you roll it up super tight. so you'll end up with a hollow spot in the middle of the roll except where the dump valve is.

Splitlip
08-07-2007, 17:31
Thanks Mike.
It sounds like it will fit in my Dive Rite quick draw sleeve. Compudude has the one without the self sealing baffle and it does.
Appreciate the info.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 17:43
Thanks Mike.
It sounds like it will fit in my Dive Rite quick draw sleeve. Compudude has the one without the self sealing baffle and it does.
Appreciate the info.

Actually we had a discussion Scubaboard just exactly about that.
(would it fit in the Dive Rite Quick Draw Bag)

The answer was "yes" and "no".

I got a "new" Dive Rite Quick Draw sleeve and it wouldn't fit. I could get it in part of the way, but it hung out of the bag slightly and definately would not close as the bag was int he way of the velcro

but some folks did get it to fit. Maybe they had a bigger and older model quick draw sleeve.

BTW... mine is the one w/o the aquaseal baffle. (I didn't pay attention to that in the original post to which one it was).

hopefully yours will fit. If not, I can send you a pic of how I mounted mine on surgical tubing off the cam straps of my wing. (under the BC on the bottom of the BC).

Splitlip
08-07-2007, 18:36
Thanks Mike.
Appreciate the info.

I got a "new" Dive Rite Quick Draw sleeve and it wouldn't fit. I could get it in part of the way, but it hung out of the bag slightly and definately would not close as the bag was int he way of the velcro

but some folks did get it to fit. Maybe they had a bigger and older model quick draw sleeve.

BTW... mine is the one w/o the aquaseal baffle. (I didn't pay attention to that in the original post to which one it was).

hopefully yours will fit. If not, I can send you a pic of how I mounted mine on surgical tubing off the cam straps of my wing. (under the BC on the bottom of the BC).

Thanks for the heads up.
I used to carry my 35 # Carter bungeed behind the plate before I got the DR QD. I am looking for a bigger bag but really like the sleeve.
There are some nice over sized markers I can buy locally that fit, but they are not self closing. I like the feature. And the larger self closing ones I have found won't fit the sleeve.
Well let me toss it around.
Thank you again.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 21:42
Thanks Mike.
Appreciate the info.

Thanks for the heads up.
I used to carry my 35 # Carter bungeed behind the plate before I got the DR QD. I am looking for a bigger bag but really like the sleeve.
There are some nice over sized markers I can buy locally that fit, but they are not self closing. I like the feature. And the larger self closing ones I have found won't fit the sleeve.
Well let me toss it around.
Thank you again.

Ok... I went and got "un-official" measurements for you.

First off, FYI, my dump valve is not located as it is on the picture on the scubatoys webpage. My dump valve is very near the top of the SMB, which makes sense as that's where you'd dump the air from. ON the webpage their dump valve is near the bottom of the valve in the pic.

So, because of the dump valve being wider than it is thick, when you roll up the bag, you kinda roll it up around that. So it doesn't roll up in a perect round cirle shape because of that. But that's not a problem. What you end up with is a roll that's about 2" thick and 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" deep. as a note, it's 8-3/4" wide (or long when rolled up), which is what ST advertises.

I wish I could send you the URL for where this was discussed on SB, but since the board is currently dead... oh well.

According to Dive Rite Express page (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/liftbags.shtml) the bag is 11" long (external) and 10" long in the pocket. I didn't verify the measurements of this bag, but took the ST SMB to my LDS and trie to fit it in and it was a very tight fit. It went in, but was pretty hard to get in. It also hung out the end enough that you couldn't close the velco. Though the insides are 1.25" longer, I guess that "taper" in/out on each end is enough to counter that length.

My conclusion was that if it was so hard to get in & out at the dive shop counter and it didn't close properly, then it's be hard to get out when wearing gloves, wet, and mounted behind me where I couldn't see it out of my mask.... So I chose not to go that route on mounting it.

Now... I think some others got it to fit. So I don't know if Dive Rite made two seperate sized sleeves or not (at some time). From what I remember, that was the conclusion that we gathered.

I also looked at the Zeagle solution. They sell a similar sleeve that is combo'd with a SMB and a spool. After talking to Scott Zeagle via PM, we decided it wouldn't work either for the ST SMB. Just FYI in case anyone else was interested in this. HOwever they do sell all of the above as a set also. FYI.

**Whew**

hope all that info is helpfull.

I do know that ST will gladly sell you the bag and if it doesn't fit as needed I'm about 99.99% sure they will let you return it without hassle.

One last option if it doesn't fit. I think that XS Scuba has a cheaper self sealing SMB but I don't know the rolled dimesions on it. I think "another vendor" besides ST had it for sale for $55 or $59 on Scubaboard and DecoStop in thier HotDeals section. Just another option...

again... hope that was helpfull.

mike

-Mike

Splitlip
08-07-2007, 23:04
Yeah, Mike. I remember the thread on SB. It is gone. The thread I believe was more about using the sleeve as an option to stow SMB's. Compude actually posted picks of his.
Again, I think the self sealer will be bigger.
In any event, this was helpful. I think I will just try to buy a marker which I can slip into my sleeve first.