PDA

View Full Version : Quattro Excel Metal vs. Avanti Superchannel

cbope
01-26-2008, 11:41
I'm looking to upgrade fins, and pretty much decided to get something from Mares. I have read the reviews, but still I'm undecided between the Quattro Excel Metal and Avanti Superchannel (both open heel models). The Avanti sounds like my perfect fin based on the reviews, but I'm very interested in the Quattro mainly due to the price they are going for here on ST and their limited edition status. Mainly, I'm worried the Quattro's will be too hard to push. I don't have weak legs, but I'm definitely not looking for a really stiff fin. Can someone who has tried both of these comment on the relative stiffness and power needed to use each?

I should mention that I'm looking for a good all-around fin for all dive conditions, not something that is specialized in one area. I'm afraid that the Quattro is a little too specialized as a power fin. I already have a set of Seac Sub snorkeling full-foot fins which are pretty soft and maneuverable. I just need a good set of open heel fins and my budget is $100 or less.

moosicman
01-27-2008, 15:52
Though I admit that I haven't tried the Quatro's, I do have the Superchannels and feel confident in recommending them over the Quatro's for a few reasons. One being that it seems to more closely match what your looking for in an "all-purpose" fin. Two is that over and over again, when I was doing my research into fins, I was told that the Superchannels were as good if not BETTER than the higher priced Mares fins (and this by sales folks that would have made more cash if I'da chose the others). Three is that you can have a fin that you will be VERY VERY pleased with. It's only 10 bucks more than the others! I've not found a down-side to them.:) I will stand corrected but that is my advice! Hope this helps:).

CODMAN
01-28-2008, 08:23
CBope. have you checked the sizing available on those QExcel Metals? If they are the ones at Scubatoys, I was also looking at them and there seems to only be small size left...:smiley13: So I forgot about them.

Just wanted to mention this as it might be a deciding factor to your dilema!:smiley20:

cbope
01-28-2008, 10:36
CBope. have you checked the sizing available on those QExcel Metals? If they are the ones at Scubatoys, I was also looking at them and there seems to only be small size left...:smiley13: So I forgot about them.

Just wanted to mention this as it might be a deciding factor to your dilema!:smiley20:

Good point, and yes I was looking at the Metals here on ST. Guess that pretty much makes up my mind now... :smiley20:

I had already decided that the Superchannel's were the better fin for me anyway... guess I was just intrigued by the limited edition and low price compared to what they usually sell for.

CODMAN
01-29-2008, 13:22
Yeah, I know what you mean!:smiley20: Hey, that's how it goes with sales like that! You get the leftovers!

cbope
02-11-2008, 13:09
FYI, I just noticed that ST now has the Quattro Metals in small, regular and x-large sizes now. I'm still planning to get the Superchannels though.

FyVe
03-15-2008, 11:14
FYI, I just noticed that ST now has the Quattro Metals in small, regular and x-large sizes now. I'm still planning to get the Superchannels though.

me and my brother picked up a pair of the xl's, and compared to the vipers, these are much stiffer, but not too bad at all. he used them one dive, and me the next. i like them, they look nice and do what they need to. i think we are both gonna pick up some Apollo bios soon.