PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Pony

DarinMartell
01-26-2008, 11:54
Ok, I have a Spare Air and I know what most of you think of it. And I am sure the answer to this question is buried in the numerous Pony vs. Spare Air threads but I am going to ask anyway.

My main concern with switching to a Pony is flying with it. What is the max size Pony that you have flown with (prefferably carry on), Any issues with always removing and installing the valve?

fireflock
01-26-2008, 12:19
19cf is the biggest I would fly with. I take the valve off, put a clear ziplock over the end on the bottle (unzipped obviously), and rubber band a printout of the TSA regs page to the outside of the bottle. No problems so far.

Rich

jbres1
01-26-2008, 12:34
When we fly, we take 13 cu ft ponys in the carry on bag with the valve removed. I also bring a fill whip with to put some air back into the tank .
Some dive shops will not fill an empty tank without a new vis.
Jim Breslin

jeepbrew
01-26-2008, 18:17
I fly with my 19, valve removed and hole plugged (plastic plug that came with tank).

I would also recommend keeping a copy of the airline guidelines for flying with cylinders taped to it.

Daved
01-26-2008, 18:29
I have always put in checked luggage. Never had any problems. Why carry on?

MLenyo
01-26-2008, 20:00
I have always put in checked luggage. Never had any problems. Why carry on?

i think people prefer to take their important things in a carryon in case checked luggage is lost. i can see where they're coming from, don't want to lose your regs =)

cyclone3565
01-26-2008, 21:04
Valve off in my carry on, never had a problem, but have had a few curious questions.

MLenyo
01-26-2008, 21:23
is it bad for the tank to remove the valve? and/or what should you be careful with while the valve is removed?

jbres1
01-26-2008, 22:06
As for remmoving the valve, you need to make sure the inside stays clean, and the threads safe form nicks.
A tank without compressed air can pick up things in the air .
Jim breslin

DarinMartell
02-01-2008, 00:23
When we fly, we take 13 cu ft ponys in the carry on bag with the valve removed. I also bring a fill whip with to put some air back into the tank .
Jim Breslin

Do you mean if they will not fill it you rent an extra tank and just fill your pony? They don't mind this?

jbres1
02-01-2008, 08:30
What I do is, I rent my tanks, then fill the ponies off of one tank that I get re-filled.
If I'm on a trip that I use the dive boats tanks, I will put some air into each pony(about 500 psig), then ask to get them filled. This past spring I just gave the ponies to the dive master , and he filled them for me .
Jim Breslin

Mtrewyn
02-01-2008, 11:24
Jim Breslin

Do you mean if they will not fill it you rent an extra tank and just fill your pony? They don't mind this?

This does seem a little odd, that they would be ok with this, but I guess what they don't know...

rfb3
02-01-2008, 13:48
Jim Breslin

Jim,
Where did you get your "fill whip"? I am looking to do it cheaply if possible.

jbres1
02-01-2008, 15:15
I purchased the yoke fill adaptor and used a high pressure hose , gauge ,and an old reg I had. I think total cost was about 70.00 plus the old reg.
Give these guys a try.
SCUBA Filler Yoke [ YKE-BLDR ] - August Industries for Bauer Compressors, Davey and Worthington parts and supplies (http://www.augustindustries.com/scuba-filler-yoke-p-260.html)
Contact Scuba Toys and see if they carry the XS Scuba fill adaptor.
Jim Breslin

jbres1
02-01-2008, 23:55
AC385 - Transfill Yoke

Equalize pressure between two cylinders
Attach hose to 1st stage port
18" HP hose
Port in yoke for pony gauge (p/n GA050)
Twist-bleed give a quick vent in either directionThis is from the XS Scuba web site.

See if Scuba Toys has this.
Jim Breslin

ryssyr
02-02-2008, 20:14
I just got back from a trip to belize and took my 13cf pony. before I left I purchased the zeagle razor from scubatoys. it was great since it really simplified the 1st stage area with less knobs and a low profile. it came with a trans-fill adapter and I carried on the entire setup (taken apart for TSA). when we got down there I had the dive op fill my pony from a full tank.

there is a picture of me with my pony slung in one of the belize photos on my sig link if you are interested.

DarinMartell
02-07-2008, 23:57
Ok, I am getting closer on this purchase. I see a 30 is 1" wider and 2.5" longer then the 19. Is it still doable to fly with a 30 or is 19 the best bet? I will be getting into lake MI wreck diving and 100+ feet will be in my future. Would the extra 11cf be worth the hassle of the bigger tank? Thanks again.

Mtrewyn
02-10-2008, 19:31
I would think that with only the little diff in size that the bigger the better, but how you sling it will (I would think) make the determining factor.

jbres1
02-11-2008, 10:33
Darin,
If you want , you could try either a 13, 19 or a 30 that I have.
We could go to the haigh this spring and you can see how each works for you before you purchase one.
Jim breslin

DarinMartell
02-11-2008, 11:32
Darin,
If you want , you could try either a 13, 19 or a 30 that I have.
We could go to the haigh this spring and you can see how each works for you before you purchase one.
Jim breslin

Thanks Jim! I appreciate it and would like to take you up on your offer to go diving but I think I will buy it before then. I need a slow acumulation of new toys in order to make it through this weather! It will be a 19 or 30, right now I am leaning in the direction of the 30. I welcome anyones opinions!

rfb3
02-11-2008, 13:10
I need a slow acumulation of new toys in order to make it through this weather!

Hear, hear! :smiley32: