PDA

View Full Version : Dive Medic Technician?

divedeeper
01-28-2008, 16:24
Is anyone on this forum a DMT? If so, what's the deal? I have been considering EMT training to fund my new dive obsession. I also want to open a scuba camp for kids <Teens> (and adults too). Does anyone actually do this for a living or know someone who could give me more info on this career? I found a couple of Commercial Diving Schools that offer the DMT program with certification upon completion as an EMT with state board exams. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it does definitely pique my interest immensely! Please pass along any info you have! Thanks, friends!

Dive Deeper:smiley20:

easyrider003
01-28-2008, 16:29
I wouldnt think that DMT is any different than any other paramedic except for the fact that you are a diver. Not sure about the DMT thing, but I would suggest just going to medic school. Of course you would have to take another class that teaches specifically diver treatment since regular medic school does not teach SPECIFICALLY for divers. That may all be common sense to you though but that is all that I can tell you that may help you out

navyhmc
01-28-2008, 16:46
Actually the DMT program parrots the military's DMT program. It is kind of intermediary between EMT and paramedic with the biggest emphasis on hyperbaric chamber operation, dive injuries and care of DCS and air embolism, patient monitoring and recompression profiles.

U/W rescue is a whole different course cirriculum.

PhantomCat
02-16-2008, 08:07
If your looking at commercial diving schools for DMT training the focus will most likly be Chamber operation, gas mixing/analysis and treatment of dive related inuries...AS THEY RELATE TO COMMERCIAL diving. Yes there is a huge difference in how you deal with things on a boat with your own chamber, limited medical supplies and very likely you are the most medically qualified person for hundreds of miles, and how you deal with them close to shore. Good training? Probably, but may be over kill for what you say you want to do (as far as cost of training). Also understand that the school probably has strong ties to the commercial diving industry, so there will be a push for you to go to the Gulf (of Mexico) to work. My advise would be to go through your regular Paramedic training then seek the dive medic add on later.

RECDiver
02-16-2008, 13:58
Divers Alert Network (DAN) offers a DMT course once or twice a year. Email them after you have attained your EMT certification and they can send you some info.

BeachBunnyCrissy
02-16-2008, 22:30
Does anyone know when the next course dates are for DAN?

RECDiver
02-19-2008, 19:44
Check DAN Divers Alert Network : Events (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/events/index.asp?sort=detail&EventID=482)

bsktcase93
11-04-2008, 00:58
did you end up taking the dan class

if so how was it, and is it worth taking

AESTCBR
02-17-2009, 06:17
Is anyone on this forum a DMT? If so, what's the deal? I have been considering EMT training to fund my new dive obsession. I also want to open a scuba camp for kids <Teens> (and adults too). Does anyone actually do this for a living or know someone who could give me more info on this career? I found a couple of Commercial Diving Schools that offer the DMT program with certification upon completion as an EMT with state board exams. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it does definitely pique my interest immensely! Please pass along any info you have! Thanks, friends!

Dive Deeper:smiley20:

Emergency Response Diving (http://www.tdisdi.com/index.php?site=4)
International Training :: Home :: Welcome to Emergency Responce Diving International (http://www.tdisdi.com/index.php?site=4)