PDA

View Full Version : Proper Clip for my Computer

underwaterdan
07-10-2007, 11:27
I can't seem to find the proper clip for my computer to keep it off the reef when I don't need it and yet still keep it easily accessible. I used a few retractors, which aren't cheap, and I still haven't had much luck. I am hoping there is a magic device out there that can help me. Or do I need to do what I think and clip my CPU onto my BC and get myself an air integrated wrist style CPU?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

teamgs
07-10-2007, 12:43
I use the following clip (although the newer multimount versions may be better now):

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCRC1HF

I removed the plastic clip from the retractor, but kept the attached webbing. I used two zip-ties to attach it to the left shoulder strap of my BCD. In my case, with my Morphos LE BCD, there are two D-rings on the shoulder, and one zip-tie threads through the retractor's still attached webbing, then through the bcd webbing that attaches the upper d-ring. The second zip-tie threads through the lower d-ring's attachment webbing, and then around the lower portion of the retractor.

The result is a very clean installation. The retractor is held tightly flush to the bcd shoulder strap. The console, as a result, stays virtually flush with my chest, yet is easily pulled out to view. This retractor may be overkill for many, as I have a very large three gauge Aeris console, and it really stays put. An added bonus, is that with the black retractor and black zip ties, it is hardly noticeable, and looks relatively OEM.

If you need photos, let me know and I will take some.

Regards,

Gary

TxHockeyGuy
07-10-2007, 12:57
I use this retractor on mine:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RCL01HF

It keeps the SPG fairly snug on my left hip d-ring. It is similar to the one referenced above only this one stays a little more snug when using the plastic clip because there is no nylon length in it. I would think this would work fine with your computer as well, I am assuming you have an air integrated computer on your hose but you didn't specify. I also have an air integrated computer but it is wireless on my wrist.

teamgs
07-10-2007, 13:00
Maybe I misunderstood your setup. If you have a separate computer that isn't attached to your console, I would also go with the wrist mount. My computer was wrist mounted to start with, but I decided to try mounting it to my console. I like having everything in one place. At least for now! :D

Gary

JahJahwarrior
07-10-2007, 13:27
My computer is wrist mounted, but my SPG dangled for a while....

...in class. The class BCD's had no clips! And, no octo holder! "We found people steal them off of the rentals, so we just don't put them on." ??? As soon as i bought my own gear, it got clips! The computer went to my wrist, but the SPG and compass on together. I was using a brass suicide clip/mariner's clip that I zip tied to the hose. I clip that to a D ring on my BC. However, I am changing it to a double ender....but, it'll only have one end...a one ended double ender. The kind that slides back and forth, like those doors found in some kitchens, that slide back into the wall, rather than swinging open and shut. Reason being, suicide clips will clip onto anything that pushes against them, so they could theoretically get caught on a line, then you are stuck, until you get it free. Mainly though, I have a single ended double ender gate clip thing on a dive slate that I don't use, and I'll swap them.

I'm not a big fan of retractors. I can easily look down and see my gauges. If you ziptie the clip to the hose, you can pull it away from your body to read, and never have to unclip it. Retractors cost more money (versus $2 for a single ended double ender gate clip thingy) and could break, rust, etc, though Im told most of the modern ones acutally last a long time. The other thing is, I think retractors clip onto the BC, then you clip the SPG/computer to the retractor? All of my clips are on the equipment, so I can easily hand it to a buddy or travel with it, without having to steal parts from my BC :)

Gulfcoastdiver
07-10-2007, 13:38
I can't seem to find the proper clip for my computer to keep it off the reef when I don't need it and yet still keep it easily accessible. I used a few retractors, which aren't cheap, and I still haven't had much luck. I am hoping there is a magic device out there that can help me. Or do I need to do what I think and clip my CPU onto my BC and get myself an air integrated wrist style CPU?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P> This is what I use with out the clip, I just loop it throughtthe D-ring on my right shoulder and it is always right there where it should be.
<DIV>http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=QRWL2</DIV>

cummings66
07-10-2007, 16:36
I don't like the retractors, over time they seem like they fail and leave you dangling.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I like the stainless clip off to a D ring method. Works reliably and easy to do.</DIV>

Storm
07-10-2007, 23:46
My comp is on my wrist, but my mini console (SPG/Depth Gauge) is clipped off to my right hip D ring using a SS bolt snap. I had one of those retractor thingies once and after it self entended and wrapped itself around a shot line I relegated it to the old dive junk box. (BTW It was the first time I used it...and the last)

Sawatdee
07-11-2007, 09:59
My comp is on my wrist, but my mini console (SPG/Depth Gauge) is clipped off to my right hip D ring using a SS bolt snap. I had one of those retractor thingies once and after it self entended and wrapped itself around a shot line I relegated it to the old dive junk box. (BTW It was the first time I used it...and the last)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have the similar set up but the console is clipped to the left hip. I once had a retractor but either the consile wastoo heavy or the retractor spring wastoo weak that it wouldn't keepthe consolefrom dangling even underwater.</DIV>

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 10:59
I can't seem to find the proper clip for my computer to keep it off the reef when I don't need it and yet still keep it easily accessible. I used a few retractors, which aren't cheap, and I still haven't had much luck. I am hoping there is a magic device out there that can help me. Or do I need to do what I think and clip my CPU onto my BC and get myself an air integrated wrist style CPU?</span>

My buddy just lost his compass diving because he was screwing around with a retractor.

I keep my computer, and compass where they belong and are most easily viewed... on my wrists! smileys/smiley1.gif

Most computers can be mounted on a console, on a retractor, and in a wrist mount. I'd talk to Larry, Joe, or Daryl or his other brother Daryl if you need help mounting yours!

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 12:26
I bought a Veo 250 that was mounted in a console and dangled from a retractor. During AOW on my Navigation dive, I found I had to keep flipping my console back and forth to read the compass, then flip back to read the depth gauge. Then, back to the compass. For the new diver I was, this messed-up my nav skills. The DM(Sean) finally handed me his compass and nav went perfectly.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Since returning from that trip, I bought a Veo wrist boot from ScubaToys (Joe removed a wrist-mount from a new wrist-mounted Veo) and a compass wrist-boot. The SPG is clipped to my let hip D-ring with a snap-bolt. The console mount and retractor? Relegated to the dust-bin of history. The retractor and console tended to snag on things. Yes, some DIR techniques make sense for non-DIR dving.</DIV>

ScubaToys Joe
07-11-2007, 12:28
Take a look at my favorite Retractor (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF) (RC002-HF) it can be mounted to the straps on the BCD so itdoesn't drag and is strong enough to keep it tight!
<DIV>and has a QD for when you need to navigate so your not fighting the retractor to hold it out in front of you.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>

marshallkarp
07-11-2007, 19:47
I bought a new BC and it had a clip for the octo, but not for the computer console. On my first dive trip with it, I had a carbiner in my car that I picked up for a buck in the check-out line at Home Depot and put that on the lower plastic loop and put the hose through that. Worked fine. I can pull the console out when i need it and shove it back when I want it out of the way.

Kimmie
07-12-2007, 20:02
I use a stainless steel bolt snap and either clip my gauge to my left front d-ring or my left hip d-ring; it really depends on if I'm diving with a stage/deco bottle or not

cummings66
07-12-2007, 20:51
I had a carbiner in my car that I picked up for a buck in the check-out line at Home Depot and put that on the lower plastic loop The carabiner you speak of is what others call a suicide clip. It opens when brushed against and can trap you, not that I know of anybody who's had that occur.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In fact, my slate is stuck on my D ring with one right now, just don't tell anybody. A stainless bolt snap is the proper device to use however.</DIV>

Mooosse
07-15-2007, 08:38
I have the Oceanic 250 in a Swivel pod as welland use the zipcord lanyard (Marine) attached to my left hip - streamlined and easy to read, flipping back and forth for the compass can be a pain I agree.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Queen
07-15-2007, 10:22
Take a look at my favorite Retractor (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF) (RC002-HF)</font> it can be mounted to the straps on the BCD so itdoesn't drag and is strong enough to keep it tight!
<div>and has a QD for when you need to navigate so your not fighting the retractor to hold it out in front of you.</div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>Joe </div>
I switched to one of those and love it. smileys/smiley20.gif I used to use a snap-bolt but got tired of clipping/unclipping/clipping/unclipping just to check my depth.

Skinsfan1311
07-18-2007, 11:08
Take a look at my favorite Retractor (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF) (RC002-HF) it can be mounted to the straps on the BCD so itdoesn't drag and is strong enough to keep it tight!
<DIV>and has a QD for when you need to navigate so your not fighting the retractor to hold it out in front of you.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>
I switched to one of those and love it. smileys/smiley20.gif I used to use a snap-bolt but got tired of clipping/unclipping/clipping/unclipping just to check my depth.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a SS bolt snap, attached to my gauges with an O-ring, and clipped off to my right shoulder d-ring. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just look down, to read them, and no clipping, or unclipping.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The bolt is pretty short, so it's very streamlined set-up....</DIV>