PDA

View Full Version : How to lose the gut.

mpd525
01-28-2008, 19:07
Well after 2 years of laziness, i finally decided to get my chubby rear back in gym. When i was deployed i came back in great shape, because we worked out 6 days a week, but that's hard to do now.

SO, who's got a good way to get rid of the bouncing belly, and love handles i've got now. I know i need to quit drinking my Dr Pepper, do some cardio, but what else should i do.

maverick
01-28-2008, 19:17
I get on chanel 368 Fit tv every other morning and work out. Direct tv. Then I walk 3-4 miles every other day. It helped me.

comet24
01-28-2008, 19:19
I need to do the same thing. A bum knee has really left many of the things I did out of the question for now. But I need to do something before I have to buy a new wetsuit.

frankc420
01-28-2008, 19:24
I get on chanel 368 Fit tv every other morning and work out. Direct tv. Then I walk 3-4 miles every other day. It helped me.

Mav, I don't want to get too personal here, so if you don't want to answer, please don't feel inclined to, but: You said it helped you, can you enlighten me and the others on what kind of results you received from doing what you mentioned? Like, how much DID you weight and how much do you weight now? What did you start out at time wise when you first started walking and what are you at now? How long have you been at it?

I've become a big guy since I got married and I'm sick of it, I just simply, can't stop eatting such big portions!

SarahBella
01-28-2008, 19:39
I try to hit the treadmill 3 times a week and do some strenght trainig at the Y at least once a week. Diet is a big hurdle for me but eating less sugar and carbs and more veggies has shown some improvement. Unfortunately there is no quick easy fix...the harder you work the better the results. It also helped me to hang a picture of something I wanted on the fridge-if I hit my goal weight I will buy myself something. Don't go crazy with the goal...a series of short goals that are attainable make the climb seem shorter some how. Good luck.

mpd525
01-28-2008, 20:14
something i've always been told, with big guys, is to eat small and often, to increase your metabolism. example instead of eating a big lunch, eat a healthy breakfast, then like a can of tuna, or something like that, then eat like a piece of baked chicken, then later a can of tuna, and then a sensible dinner.

Eat like 6-8 times a day or so, and increase you protein intake. That's what i've been told, but i've never tried it, so i don't know how it will work. i thought about trying it,but with my job it would be difficult.

newways
01-28-2008, 20:19
More than anything, you need to balance your calorie intake to your calorie use. Eat more healthy, and plenty of cardio. If you have injuries(ankle/knee), stay away from high impact activities(running) and try brisk walks or up hill walks. Incline treadmills, stair steppers, and elliptical machines at your local gyms can do the same and add variety. If your midsection is of concern, localize your cardio activity by doing crunches and lower back extensions at home.

You can eat all the crap you want but you gotta know if you sit your ass on a couch for 4 hours every night after work, it's all gonna go to fat.

The biggest hurdle I've seen is staying motivated. Having spent time in the military myself, I gave up working out as soon as I was discharged because I was sick of working out everyday. Two years later I joined a gym, read a few books and mixed it up a bit. If you want motivation, jump in a yoga class 50 pounds overweight surrounded by hot chicks. Some days I swim, some days weight train. I have NO routine. I go to the gym for an hour and maintain activity the entire hour. I do what ever I want.

Some small things I do...
1. I never use the elevator. I live on the 6th floor.
2. I don't park close to my building entrance. I take that spot that no one else wants at least 100 yards away. Also prevents door dings.
3. I don't use a goofy little cart for my groceries. I carry them to my apt no matter how many bags I have.
4. I make a special trip to the mailbox instead of hitting it 'on the way'. It breaks up that time between commercials or when I need a break from work or studying.

Take a minute and think of how many shortcuts you can cut out of your daily routine to burn a few calories and you'll be dropping pounds in no time.

IrishSquid
01-28-2008, 20:54
More than anything, you need to balance your calorie intake to your calorie use. Eat more healthy, and plenty of cardio. If you have injuries(ankle/knee), stay away from high impact activities(running) and try brisk walks or up hill walks. Incline treadmills, stair steppers, and elliptical machines at your local gyms can do the same and add variety. If your midsection is of concern, localize your cardio activity by doing crunches and lower back extensions at home.

You can eat all the crap you want but you gotta know if you sit your ass on a couch for 4 hours every night after work, it's all gonna go to fat.

The biggest hurdle I've seen is staying motivated. Having spent time in the military myself, I gave up working out as soon as I was discharged because I was sick of working out everyday. Two years later I joined a gym, read a few books and mixed it up a bit. If you want motivation, jump in a yoga class 50 pounds overweight surrounded by hot chicks. Some days I swim, some days weight train. I have NO routine. I go to the gym for an hour and maintain activity the entire hour. I do what ever I want.

Some small things I do...
1. I never use the elevator. I live on the 6th floor.
2. I don't park close to my building entrance. I take that spot that no one else wants at least 100 yards away. Also prevents door dings.
3. I don't use a goofy little cart for my groceries. I carry them to my apt no matter how many bags I have.
4. I make a special trip to the mailbox instead of hitting it 'on the way'. It breaks up that time between commercials or when I need a break from work or studying.

Take a minute and think of how many shortcuts you can cut out of your daily routine to burn a few calories and you'll be dropping pounds in no time.

These are all good things, and really spot on. However; I wonder if you meant: "If your midsection is of concern, localize your cardio activity by doing crunches and lower back extensions at home." I'm not 100% positive, but; I don't think you can localize cardio (Heart/Resp.) Also a person can't really spot lose excess fat. You can target muscle groups. Your first sentence is the "secret to weight loss", burn more calories than you take in. There is no other way!

jwdizney
01-28-2008, 21:11
something that's working for wife and I is actually something we stumbled across one evening a few weeks back. there's a program on BBC America channel called "You are what you eat". it's a british nutritionist/phd. that teaches individuals healthy nutrition with a twist.. if you've ever seen the movie "SuperSize Me" and had an aversion to McDonalds afterwards, you'll kinda know what i'm talking about. after a couple of episodes, we were actually "scared" into eating healthier! it's pretty entertaining and educational too! i didn't plan on a New Years diet, but found myself wanting to change my eating habits and i've lost 10 lbs. since Christmas! I'm eating a LOT more healthy, but i'm don't feel like i'm on a diet. i've just been acquiring a taste for healthier food. if you've got cable or satellite, check it out!
:smilie40:

BuzzGA
01-28-2008, 21:17
I haven't done much with Fit TV but my wife swears by it. We have it as an on demand channel which she loves because she's working on a PhD so her schedule can get a bit screwy and she can work out whenever. She loves the kickboxing and cardio stuff and says it is better than buying tapes because they change out the programming often enough it doesn't become boring. Granted she also tries to run with me a couple of days a week and we try and hit the weights together a couple of days a week too. But she says the Fit TV is what put her over the top on keeping things toned. The only warning she does have about the Fit TV programming is some of the workouts don't have good warm ups or cool downs (she was a fitness instructor on the side for a while so she is very conscious of those issues) and she says some of the routines are heavy on lunges so if you have a bad knee beware.

maverick
01-28-2008, 23:39
I lost 50 lbs. just started eating right and exercising. Diving has given me alot of insentive 2 keep in condition. U can do it U just got 2 want 2. Just plain O'l will power. There is another tv program called the biggest loser. People who weighed 300lbs went down 2 180.

Jaymeany
01-29-2008, 00:34
work up to 40 to 70 mins of cardio (take it slow or you will hurt your tendons and ligaments). You want to do all of this cardio at 70% max heart rate in order to burn the most fat. Do not use a formula to find out your max hr, use a test. Many machines have max hr test programmed into them. lifting will help you keep away injuries and tighten teh muscle groups once the fat goes away. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months because of this. I lost too much weight but I was running professionally so I took it as a necessary risk. Good Luck!!

cutter77
01-29-2008, 03:29
No white flour
No white sugar
Nothing to eat after 6 pm
No beer, cheese, avocados, chips, or ice cream

and.............get moving, moving, moving!

Horribly painful...but it works.

WAHMof2
01-29-2008, 10:47
Cardio and diet are definitely the two main ingredients. The hubby and I are really working on the cardio right now, but you really have to start small and work your way up.

adv_diver1
01-29-2008, 12:13
Get a set of "The Perfect Pushup". You can get them at Wal-Mart for around $20. They are incredible. They work your arms, shoulders, pecks and ab all at the same time. I can do 25 pushups without stopping, but can barely do 15 on the perfect pushup and I saw results in just a few days.

Good luck with it!

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 17:28
Get a set of "The Perfect Pushup". You can get them at Wal-Mart for around $20. They are incredible. They work your arms, shoulders, pecks and ab all at the same time. I can do 25 pushups without stopping, but can barely do 15 on the perfect pushup and I saw results in just a few days.

Good luck with it!

This is true. The perfect pushup does show positive results, and rapidly. However, I found using the Perfect Pushup to be much easier than doing standard push-ups. I used to do around 75-100 regular push-ups with no problems other than sore joints (wrists & elbows). With the Perfect Pushup, I do around 150 a day with no issues.

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 17:31
FYI, I have found great results by just walking a mile or two a day.

mpd525
01-29-2008, 19:07
I do pretty good with workouts, i try to keep my heart rate up, i think my biggest problem is the nutrition part of it, i'm a police officer so i spend 10 hours a day in a car, and well, i eat, that and there are so many different ways of looking at nutrition, in a nutshell what should i do to have better eating habits.

right now me and the wife are at the gym 5 days a week, 2 days cardio and abs, 3 days of warmup on the treadmill, and weight train, and move fast, and then 5 minutes of sprints on the mill afterwards. The problem is it kills my knee, but i've got to get rid of this. i think i should start smoking again, i gained most of it after i quit.

Again my hardest part is eating healthy, and drinking Dr pepper all day, and go to water.

So what should we do to change are eating habits.

Merxlin
02-02-2008, 22:59
I think what you need to do depends on how much weight you need to lose. Weights will keep up your muscle tone and your caloric requirements, but cardio is what you need to burn fat.

You can get some cardio effects when you lift as well. No long conversations between sets, shorter rests between exercises will keep up your heart rate. Vary your workouts, do intervals, but do as much cardio as you can in that 70% max range, with occasional spurts above. Longer is better than 10 or 15 minute blasts.

Your diet is really key. You've had lots of good advice on that. I lost 40+ pounds when my wife joined weight watchers and ate what she ate. Good luck.

frankc420
02-03-2008, 08:51
I've read recently that interval cardio is the best way to lose fat fast. If your on a treadmill, warmup, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, cool down. Supposidly the rapid change in your heart beat causes your metabolism to stay active for 24-48 hours AFTER your workout.

I read about it on HOW TO GET SIX PACK ABS IN 16 WEEKS - Six Pack Abs Workout Routine (http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/)

Clanggedin
02-04-2008, 14:37
I've read recently that interval cardio is the best way to lose fat fast. If your on a treadmill, warmup, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, sprint, walk, cool down. Supposidly the rapid change in your heart beat causes your metabolism to stay active for 24-48 hours AFTER your workout.

I read about it on HOW TO GET SIX PACK ABS IN 16 WEEKS - Six Pack Abs Workout Routine (http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com/)

That site has alot of useful exercises I can do withouth having to buy weights and stuff When I lived in Argentina I did alot of Dynamic tension exercises and came back to the US with six pack abs.

I just got off a vacation so I started my diet and training this morning before I saw this thread... I think I am going to use the exercises shown in the 6 pack abs workout one video with some dynamic tension exercises to complement.. Maybe I'll take before and after pics too.

mpd525
02-04-2008, 20:06
well i did 40 minutes of interval cardio tonight, i've cut down to 1 or 2 Dr Peppers a day, the rest of the time i drink water, and guess what i gained 2lbs, AAAAAAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

it's probably just water weight but it is aggravating. My goal is to lose about 8lbs by Feb 20th, tommorow, i'm gonna run on my lunch break, and weights that evening after work with the wife.

Now if i can just starting eat a little better i'll be alright.

RoyN
02-04-2008, 22:37
Hmmm....for some reason I can't seem to register on the site.

Clanggedin
02-05-2008, 12:04
I am cutting cola out completely. I just make sure that whatever I drink during the time has at least some guarana in it so I dont have massive caffeiene headaches.

CaribbeanDiver
02-05-2008, 15:35
eat naked in front of a mirror, works every time.

Osprey
02-05-2008, 18:38
guys, don't forget that muscle weighs MORE than fat. stay OFF of the scale!!!!!!! what we dirty art students do is we take a naked photo of ourselves every day. compare your first photo to one a month later. SEE the results, don't weigh them!!

RoyN
02-07-2008, 01:46
Oohhh...Now Osprey tells us. ;) too late, I'm going crazy over the weight scale and need to be strap down. :D

ezra
02-07-2008, 04:10
I am new to these boards but I am definitely not new to fitness, with that said take my ideas for what you think they are worth.

I also think you can do this as I think anyone motivated can achieve any goal they want.

The idea needed is for a lifestyle change, not a diet and not a workout plan but a bona fide change in your lifestyle. I think consistency is the key to success here. You don’t have to hit the gym like an Olympia bodybuilder or lift heavy weights or even run till you puke, you just have to be consistent and see this as a long term strategy. If you are looking for a quick fix you will fail, I guarantee it. You may succeed in losing X pounds but you will get burnt out and start the horrible cycle all over and regain the weight.

“Burn more calories than you take in”.
This is correct and is physiology 101. However, there are some things you can do to help yourself along. For example, could you eat Mc. Donald’s and still lose weight? Of course you could as long as you burned more calories then you ate although you would feel miserable all the time. Eat small meals throughout the day. I eat 5-6 times a day. This keeps your metabolism burning. Don’t forget to keep your portion size small.

Switch from regular DR.P to Diet. I know it doesn’t taste as good but give it a week and you will be accustomed to the new flavor.

When it comes to cardio, there are many things you can do to lose ‘weight’ but some ideas are better then others. Your fat was once carbs because all carbohydrates break down into glucose and enter the blood stream, which if not used, deposit themselves into fat stores. So, an individual, in order to lose weight needs to use the glucose in their body as well as use some of the glucose in the fat stores.

How do we do this?

Cardio 1: Long and slow first thing in the morning. Throughout the night your body uses the glucose in your blood and when you awake you are in prime fat burning mode. Since there is no glucose to burn, any cardio activity will require your body to use either fat stores or muscle tissue for energy. Which is which? Long slow cardio allows the body to use tap the fat stores for energy better then the faster cardio. Doing high intensity cardio, say 70-80% of your max heart rate triggers your body to go into survival mode and will use muscle before the fat stores. High intensity cardio is used for cardiovascular health and endurance type training. You’re not looking to run a marathon, your looking to burn fat. On a side note, this is why marathon runners are so thin; there body uses all resources for energy including muscle mass.

Cardio #2. Long and slow after a workout. Assuming your workout was intense enough, there again is no glucose left in your body and you are primed for fat burn.

Cardio 1 & 2 should be done at 55-70% of your maximum heart rate. I use a heart rate monitor to make sure my heart rate isn’t too high. It is very easy to exceed 55-70%, to me it feels like I am almost not even working out.

Cardio # 3. HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT increases the RMR (resting metabolic rate) for the following 24 hours due to EPOC (Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) This type of training may help you lose weight faster but it is High Intensity and if you have any injuries or are way out of shape it shouldn’t be done.

The OP stated “The problem is it kills my knee, but i've got to get rid of this”.
Don’t destroy your joints to make progress you would probably see reverse if you couldn’t walk.

There is nothing magic about smoking that kept you thin; you are now just substituting one habit for another. Where you once had cigarettes you know have a dr.pepper.

rainmaker
02-07-2008, 11:17
I eliminated all processed sugar and saturated fat from my diet. I eat 5 servings per day of fruits and veges per day, watch my overall calorie intake, work-out with weights twice per week and walk 4 miles per day. I don't smoke or drink. That's about all I do, I can't put any stress on my abdominal muscles (crunches, etc.) because of a lower back injury.

When I stopped eating the processed sugar, the last 10 pounds that I'd been trying to lose for years dropped off without additional effort. My girl-friend gave me that tip, after she heard it from Dr. Phil's wife.

I'm wearing the same size jeans (32) that I wore 20 years ago, and my body-fat is 13%. I don't put much importance on BMI, but mine is 20.0. My methods may not work for everyone, but they sure work for me.

mpd525
02-07-2008, 12:05
great info Ezra, thanks alot. As a matter of fact, i've started doing circuit training, really fast, to keep the heart rate up, and i do the HIIT, I finally went to a doctor, and got a brace, and i've got some type of arthritis in my knees and ankles, that that VA never diagnosed.(read-thanks US ARMY, But i'm still proud of my service)

I've cut way back on the DP, i have one with lunch, and dinner, the rest is Water, the only problems is since i've been drinking so much water, i've actually gained a couple of lbs.

It will all come in due time. Grocery day is this weekend, and instead of chips, i'm having my wife buy me veggies, and fruit to snack on throughout the day, to keep me full.

It's all down hill from here, i think

CompuDude
02-07-2008, 12:28
Be careful of that 6 pack abs site... I got some nasty spyware warnings last time I surfed by it.

RoyN
02-07-2008, 12:29
Thanks for that CompuDude, looks like its one of those places that you need to buy their equipment in order to get their version of a 6 pack. I'll just do it through normal exercise and eating the right food which thats what I'm going to do today. :D

Clanggedin
02-07-2008, 16:18
I haven't receive any spyware warnings visiting the 6 pack site.. I have also not purchase anything from him.. He has a number of different exercises that you can do instead of doing ones using power bands. I'm sure he's got to make money somehow, I am just doing what he has in his ab exercise video and my stomach hurts. I have been doing it every other day and it is working stomach muscles I never knew I had.

RoyN
02-08-2008, 01:47
Yeah, thats what i'm doing, but then those exercise are also on Michael Thurman's video too. Well, I guess its a health aware era for me. I'll never know.

KGNickl
02-08-2008, 08:55
My favorite site for fitness: Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. (http://www.bodybuilding.com)

It has user submitted articles by from various people of all levels which are a good way to get ideas and tailor a plan. Has bodyspace to track progress and help build community (what better way of motivation than create a space, then post in the forum and have people comment and support your progress?). Oh and of course they sell supplement products and prices and service are great.

NOTE: I'm a fan of this site and company. Take a look if you have not stumbled across it already, a really cool site!

scubajane
02-13-2008, 22:33
OK, I was feeling punky because the scale is being mean to me..5 lbs down 7 up..in a matter of days, poo stinky!!! I have been trying to move more, eat less and drink more water. I swim 2-3 times a week, for an hour. I eat small high protein meals and lots of veggies. and yet I struggle. I was not going to swim tonight because I had to go alone..... I went in the steam room after the swim I noticed how thin my arms and legs are becoming. My gut...well that has the most room for improvement. BUT>>> I'm making progress and I sleep better and my clothes are starting to hang on me. Still that blasted scale does not move. I guess I will never be an airbrushed babe but I'm happy and I dive :) life is good. I'll just keep plugging away. It's good to hear of others struggling and yet continuing to work at better health. Ultimately healthy is better than model thin.

pyre24
02-14-2008, 01:14
I read Muscle and Fitness. I like some of their exercises in there. A few recipes also.

Clanggedin
02-14-2008, 11:43
One of my co-workers is losing tons of weight. He runs an hour a day and makes sure he keeps his heart rate above 140 and around 150-155.

If there wasn't so much snow here I'd run. I guess I need to jog in place or something to get my heart rate up. I also need to by a heart rate monitor watch so I can keep up the exercises to shed the pounds. I really only need to get the excess fat off my gut so you can see my 6 pack that is forming. You can already see definiation in the top 2-4. Its the bottom ones I can't see yet.

boat
02-15-2008, 20:06
I've cut way back on the DP, i have one with lunch, and dinner,

Cut the DP back to about 1 with lunch every Christmas and you'll have it about right.

Have you ever heard of a book "The New Glycemic Revolution" or something like that. It's essentially about good/bad carbs. I left it at work so I'm not sure of the exact title. I'm a big fan of that approach (so is my doctor). I was having trouble with my blood glucose being on the high normal side. That's also why I made the snide comment about the DP, but those habits can really do you in without you really thinking about it.

mpd525
02-15-2008, 20:30
well i've figured out an easy way to dump about 7lbs, i got an evil stomach virus for the last week, and i haven't gotten rid of it yet. needless to say i've ate, a can of chicken noodle soup, 3 chicken nuggets, and half of half of a sub sandwich the last 6 days, and lots of water.

I think i'm almost over it though.

johnyringo
02-15-2008, 21:32
Surprisingly, diet has more effect on weight loss than exercise. Not to say that you don't need exercise. To put it simply, if your gaining weight, your taking in more calories than your burning.
Personally, if I want to loose a couple of pounds it's chicken (or another white meat) and salad with a whole wheat role for carbs.
There are hundreds of ""diet" plans out there and, historically, they don't work. What will work is a life style change to healthy foods, and reasonable exercise. Lay off the sodas, mochas, pastries and any other high sugar high fat stuff and you WILL see a difference.

DivingCRNA
02-16-2008, 06:55
You need to eat less and exercise more. That is it. The math is that if you expend more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

Keep in mind that it is easier to eat 2000 calories than it is to burn them.... So you just gotta eat less. When I need to drop a few pounds I just eat less of what I already eat. I use smaller plates, and EAT SLOWER. I eat slower because it takes you stomach 20 minutes to tell the brain that you are full.

johnyringo
02-16-2008, 10:26
Also, drink a 8- 12 ounce glass of water before you sit down to dinner. You'll eat less.

emcbride81
02-16-2008, 11:37
Also, drink a 8- 12 ounce glass of water before you sit down to dinner. You'll eat less.

Very true, and eating small meals throughout the day is very important also. One of the little tricks I am using right now is instead of using salad dressing for my salads, I am using lemon/pepper seasoning. Zero calories and tastes pretty darn good. I just cut up the veggies I want to use and cover them with the seasoning. I am not much for salad but it works!

Also, another critical point is eat before you get hungry! That salad will seem more edible when your belly isn't grumbling. Once you get hungry you start craving the bad stuff usually.

Those 100 calorie snack packs work well to treat yourself.

Google "basal metabolic rate calculators" and figure out approx. how many calories you need to eat everyday to stay at your current weight. These are good estimates of what your caloric intake should be less than everyday. Use 3-4 of these calculators to get an good average number, some vary by formula.

matt151617
02-25-2008, 17:49
The hardest thing I've found is getting the motivation to get up and do everything. After working 8-12 hours, the last thing I want to do is go work even harder on a run and lifting weights for a couple hours. I'd rather go home, relax, and have some dinner.

From what I've gathered, there are 2 big things in getting motivation. First, try to establish consistency. Go running at the same time every day. This is very hard to do if you have a fluctuating schedule like I do. But if you can establish any form of consistency, it'll make it easier to get up off the couch each night and head to the gym.

Second, try to run in the morning. Like mentioned above, after working all day, you don't want to go running. People in to running I've talked to swear by running in the morning. It burns more fat, and is far easier. Plus it makes you more relaxed during the day.

Just get on that cardio, and be sure to do strength training. Even if you burn all the fat off your stomach, there won't be 6 pack abs coming into view if you aren't tightening them up.