PDA

View Full Version : Installing Trim weight pockets on Brigade

rick murry
01-28-2008, 21:30
I was at Scuba toys with a buddy today, he bought a wetsuit and I some trim weight pockets for my brigade. We flew from Milwaukke Wi. just to visit scuba toys....wife works for airlines,,,,,but I digress. Joe showed me quickly the drill on installing the pockets, but after flying home I forgot and as I look at my brigade I draw a big fat blankety blank..help!

Rick Murry:smiley29:

setesh
01-28-2008, 22:34
Well, I hope this works, it's my first time posting pics. Image 31 shows the two attachment points, marked by my finger and thumb. Image 32 is just a different angle (from the bottom). Basically, the lower tank strap goes through the loop on the back of each pouch, and the velcro at the top goes under and around the webbing directly above the lower tank strap. The pockets should both be facing away from the tank strap, and the red handles should be at the bottom of the BC. If you have any questions just PM me:smiley20:

rick murry
01-31-2008, 15:49
Thanks alot for the pics...they seem helpful and when I get home tonite I will try installing them.
I'll let you know how it goes....THX

Rick Murry

setesh
02-01-2008, 00:07
No problem, happy to help:smiley20:

keyshunter
02-01-2008, 05:49
I am surprised that the trim weight pockets are not included with the Brigade. They are standard on the Stiletto.

setesh
02-01-2008, 19:29
I am surprised that the trim weight pockets are not included with the Brigade. They are standard on the Stiletto.

That's true, but it is also $85 more expensive. Maybe that part of the reason? Larry? Joe? Any input?

Balance
02-12-2008, 12:18
They're an option on the Brigade, aren't they?

fisheater
02-13-2008, 00:07
They're an option on the Brigade, aren't they?

Yep. Check the Brigade order page.

deepdiver47
03-02-2008, 20:56

That's true, but it is also $85 more expensive. Maybe that part of the reason? Larry? Joe? Any input?

I was looking to add 2 lbs of trim so I tried this out. I purchased (2) 1 lb fishing weights and drilled a hole on the bottom of them. I then cable tied them to the outside of my top tank strap on my Brigade. They trimed me just fine with last weeks dives in Palau as I am very level. They do not get in the way of the tank nor do they rattle. Put them on once and you are done, YMMV

fisheater
03-02-2008, 21:12

I was looking to add 2 lbs of trim so I tried this out. I purchased (2) 1 lb fishing weights and drilled a hole on the bottom of them. I then cable tied them to the outside of my top tank strap on my Brigade. They trimed me just fine with last weeks dives in Palau as I am very level. They do not get in the way of the tank nor do they rattle. Put them on once and you are done, YMMV

Nice, simple solution. Well done!

johnyringo
03-02-2008, 21:43
Well, I hope this works, it's my first time posting pics. Image 31 shows the two attachment points, marked by my finger and thumb. Image 32 is just a different angle (from the bottom). Basically, the lower tank strap goes through the loop on the back of each pouch, and the velcro at the top goes under and around the webbing directly above the lower tank strap. The pockets should both be facing away from the tank strap, and the red handles should be at the bottom of the BC. If you have any questions just PM me:smiley20:

Also if you have a problem rethreading the cam buckle, refer to the upper buckle. Hey, I've heard of...um...OTHER people having that problem...:smilie39:

deepdiver47
03-03-2008, 06:41

Nice, simple solution. Well done!

Thanks, it really does work and I did it for less than $5

rfreddo
03-03-2008, 14:19
Sorry to hijack, but I also have a quick question about the trim pockets on the Brigade. With the weights in the trim pockets being on the lower strap and thus approximately the same body position as the main weight pockets (i.e. hip level), can they really have much of an effect on trim?

Has anyone attached the pockets to the upper strap? The pull-to-dump feature would be useless in that position (unless the buddy dumps I guess), but it seems like that positioning would have more of an effect on trim.

Just wondering. Thanks!

deepdiver47
03-03-2008, 15:07
Sorry to hijack, but I also have a quick question about the trim pockets on the Brigade. With the weights in the trim pockets being on the lower strap and thus approximately the same body position as the main weight pockets (i.e. hip level), can they really have much of an effect on trim?

Has anyone attached the pockets to the upper strap? The pull-to-dump feature would be useless in that position (unless the buddy dumps I guess), but it seems like that positioning would have more of an effect on trim.

Just wondering. Thanks!

I can't speak to the pockets themselves but when I added my sinkers to the bottom they did little for me. Bringing them on top made a HUGE difference

Splitlip
03-04-2008, 05:10

Just wondering. Thanks!

My experience with my Stiletto, the pockets on the lower bands were too low for weights. I used them for storage (DSMB, folding snorkel, etc). I attached these to my upper bands.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/weights/pics/XsScubaWeightPocket.jpg (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=XsScubaWeightPocket)

rfreddo
03-04-2008, 06:02
Splitlip - can you actually reach the pockets u/w with enough dexterity to open and pull something out? Must have longer / more flexible arms than me!

CLaFong
03-04-2008, 14:22
DeepDiver47,

What difference did you notice as far a trim when you moved it higher

Splitlip
03-04-2008, 16:35
Splitlip - can you actually reach the pockets u/w with enough dexterity to open and pull something out? Must have longer / more flexible arms than me!

Sure could. I never needed the snorkel, but I used the DSMB often. The DSMB was attached to a reel clipped off to a D-ring I added to the waist so even if I did drop it, it was attached. Don't recall it ever being an issue though.

Sold the Stiletto. Been a while.

rfreddo
03-05-2008, 17:51
Other than removing the utility of the dump feature, can anyone point to any disadvantages to moving the trim weight pockets to the upper tank strap?

rfreddo
03-10-2008, 10:56
Just bumping to see if there are any more thoughts out there on moving the Brigade trim weight pockets to the upper tank strap. I guess I still don't quite get how weights on the lower strap would affect trim. Seems the pockets are in essentially the same body position as the main weight pockets.

Thanks again!

Just wondering. Thanks!

deepdiver47
03-10-2008, 11:21
DeepDiver47,

What difference did you notice as far a trim when you moved it higher

It was not very noticable at all when the weights were on the lower straps. Almost like more of the same. Remember, a Ranger has 2 straps, one lower, one upper. When I moved it onto the upper strap I could feel it actually working. As a learning photograher I find much easier to slant forward, there is no more fighting to stay in that position. Besides, there wasn't much to lose, the cost was minimal for me. Once my weights are attached they aren't coming off unless the cable ties are snipped off.