PDA

View Full Version : Handy chart.........

texdiveguy
01-29-2008, 16:30
Meters to Feet conversion chart - Length conversions (http://www.metric-conversions.org/cgi-bin/util/conversion-chart.cgi?type=2&from=4&to=15)

SarahBella
01-29-2008, 19:23
Nice chart-while reading the manual for my new computer they occasionally give depth in Meters and I already went and looked up the conversion. Its a good thing to hve a general idea about just in case you happen to bump into the Metric system...Seems like I was told YEARS ago the US would be converting at any time.

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 18:36
Nice chart-while reading the manual for my new computer they occasionally give depth in Meters and I already went and looked up the conversion. Its a good thing to hve a general idea about just in case you happen to bump into the Metric system...Seems like I was told YEARS ago the US would be converting at any time.
I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be nice to have everyone on the same system.

in_cavediver
02-10-2008, 21:00
I doubt it will ever happen, but it would be nice to have everyone on the same system.

Nah, I'm pushing for the Ole English units. Now get me a Hogshead of lager!

cummings66
02-10-2008, 21:23
When I was in school we had to learn the metric system because it's was any day now, that's been probably 30 years ago since I learned it. Not good enough to be fluent in it because I don't recognize valves as lengths, IE tell me a 1/4 mile and I know how far it is and how long it'll take me to get there, whether on foot or car, but tell me in kilometers and you'll get a blank stare. I know what that unit is, but I don't have a clue as to it's relation to my daily life.

plot
02-22-2008, 18:33
in terms of engineering, science, chemistry etc. most stuff in the US is probably already done in metric.

We just see imperial on architectural and stuff that doesnt really matter but is just traditional like miles, gallons of gas, milk, etc.

As for me, I just use google to convert units. :)

cummings66
02-22-2008, 22:23
I know of a shop that works in metric, at least their drawings are done in CAD based on the metric system. I'm not sure why because instead of a 2x4 they had some strange measurements...

hoobascooba
02-22-2008, 22:27
I know of a shop that works in metric, at least their drawings are done in CAD based on the metric system. I'm not sure why because instead of a 2x4 they had some strange measurements...

supposedly, metric is "more accurate"

according to a few europeans and based on my own experience while i lived, schooled, worked and traveled throughout Germany.

btw, my first 5 dives are logged in metric. yes, it made me the laughing stock at the restaraunt after a couple few dives.

IrishSquid
02-22-2008, 22:32

There's no way, the world isn't ready to convert to U.S. measurements.

hoobascooba
02-22-2008, 22:43

There's no way, the world isn't ready to convert to U.S. measurements.

the world isn't EVER gonna be ready for anything the U.S. tries to standardize. Take democracy for example...

besides, he didn't say the world was converting to U.S., but rather, he heard YEARS ago the reciprocal.

cmburch
02-22-2008, 22:47
I use Oceanic metric gauges and bottom timer. I got it from Any Water Sports in San Jose, CA. My wife is a German National. I do not know about the metric system being anymore accurate. It seems to me to be easier to use. Canada uses the metric system. If a Canadian is asked how far to the next gas station; will they give it in miles or kilometers? I mainly use the metric system at work for measurements and calculations. I thought it was interesting. I think that the US had a 7 year plan in the 60's to convert to metric. My '79 El Dorado had both metric and standard nut/bolt heads but standard threading. National Parks like Yosemite had signs both in Miles and Kilometers. Canada also.

hoobascooba
02-22-2008, 22:53
I use Oceanic metric gauges and bottom timer. I got it from Any Water Sports in San Jose, CA. My wife is a German National. I do not know about the metric system being anymore accurate. It seems to me to be easier to use. Canada uses the metric system. If a Canadian is asked how far to the next gas station; will they give it in miles or kilometers? I mainly use the metric system at work for measurements and calculations.

well do I need to start a new thread on imperial vs metric? or is there one already?

plot
02-22-2008, 23:21
I use Oceanic metric gauges and bottom timer. I got it from Any Water Sports in San Jose, CA. My wife is a German National. I do not know about the metric system being anymore accurate. It seems to me to be easier to use. Canada uses the metric system. If a Canadian is asked how far to the next gas station; will they give it in miles or kilometers? I mainly use the metric system at work for measurements and calculations.

kilometers.

as for milk, canadians get that by the bag. :smiley2:

John Yaskowich
02-25-2008, 13:50
Nah, I'm pushing for the Ole English units. Now get me a Hogshead of lager!

1.799 x 10**12 furlongs per fortnight. 'Tis a good Idea, and it doth be the Law

(the speed of light in a vacuum, for those not used to the Olde Systems)

rye_a
02-25-2008, 13:52
Thanks. THis chart will be useful for a lot of applications.

John Yaskowich
02-25-2008, 14:14
Canada uses the metric system. If a Canadian is asked how far to the next gas station; will they give it in miles or kilometers?

We Canadians have to have the most screwed up implementation of the metric system on earth. For example food is usually advertized in $/pound but the package wiil be marked in $/kilogram (the sign will *usually* also show the $/kg price in much smaller case, or it will show $/100grams (1/10th kilogram) just to make things confusing.) Gas "milage" is shown in litres needed to drive 100 kilometres.

Having the US next door and as our largest trading partner has probably had something to do with it.

Canada has used the metric system since about 1978 and I still don't think totally those units. To me, temperature only means something to me in Fahrenheit. And the biggest gap in the (commonly used) length measurements is between the centimetre and the metre. A centimetre is about the width of a little finger, a metre is about the length of an arm. There is no convienient middle measurement of about a handspan (inch or foot).

And most of the time if you ask a Canadian how far the next gas station is you will probably be told something like "about 10 minutes down the road".

Just the perspective of someone who has lived metric for 30 years but can't shake 20 years of Imperial growing up.

doczerothree
02-25-2008, 16:37
Nice chart Tex