PDA

View Full Version : Mares Raptor (Split fin)

dk2943
07-28-2007, 16:12
I guess this is mostly for the ScubaToys boys. Anyone know anything about the new Mares Raptor fins? And how do they compare to the other splits on the market?

Black-Gorrilla
07-29-2007, 17:44
they look very nice... i just dislike the colors.. but im gonna be checking out some split fins by the end of the year, and possibly these. but like you... i also want to know more.
i found an article by sportdiver magazine... and say these are the best...
http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=53118

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 18:32
Looking at them when the rep brought them in, they appear to be very close to the Tusa. We've got some heading our way, and when they get in, anyone is more than welcome to come give them a spin. We'll put some pairs out at our pavilion at CSSP as well in case someone wants to try them where there is more room than our pool.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 07:09
did you have a chance to try them or just got to mess around and hold them?

Krakenn
08-12-2007, 06:55
Larry have you ever thought of giving a comparison between the Raptor and the Oceanic V12?

I would mind your views or another persons wrap on the fins

Kraks

ScubaToys Joe
08-14-2007, 17:41
Just got off the phone with the mares rep and he tells me they are on the way to us so we should have them by the end of the week!

The fist shipment will only be in the medium size and the colors will be Yellow, Red, Blue and their new Green! They will sell for $139.95 to the rest of the world but for you guys they will be $125.00 then with your 10% discount that’s $113.00 for the next 30 days!

Thanks

Joe

Black-Gorrilla
08-14-2007, 18:14
Larry have you ever thought of giving a comparison between the Raptor and the Oceanic V12?

Kraks

just convince larry to send me out a pair of each, i'll dive them next weekend, and then write it all up :)

ScubaToys Joe
08-14-2007, 18:17

Kraks

just convince larry to send me out a pair of each, i'll dive them next weekend, and then write it all up :)

You might ask Larry who changes his light bulbs!

Black-Gorrilla
08-14-2007, 18:42
so Joe, why dont you send them out to me, and i will dive them each for 2 dives (out of 4 in a 2 day period) and write an in depth review. even trow some pictures in there as well... let me know when i can pm you my address.

Fish Killer
08-16-2007, 11:14
So what is the verdict?
Are these fins as good as they report to be?

Krakenn
08-17-2007, 01:04
Hey Larry, who changes your light globes?

Kraks

ScubaToys Larry
08-17-2007, 04:50
Big Joe there cracked up at the quote of the "never, ever change your hoses unless you are mechanically inclined enough to change your own light bulbs" and he wanted to point out that he changes all the light bulbs... but then again, he changes all my hoses too...

Why? 'Cause I pay him! And obviously a bit too much for changing light bulbs!

Krakenn
08-17-2007, 06:13
Ahh so its true m8 - you employ 4 full-timers?
Joe to hold the light globe and three to turn Joe around?

Smiles

Kraks

ertechsg
08-20-2007, 14:55
Looking at them when the rep brought them in, they appear to be very close to the Tusa. We've got some heading our way, and when they get in, anyone is more than welcome to come give them a spin. We'll put some pairs out at our pavilion at CSSP as well in case someone wants to try them where there is more room than our pool.How does someone go about using/trying the toys out at cssp? like the scooter/ fins ect...

Fish Killer
08-24-2007, 07:13
I thought this thread was about these new kick as fins.
I'm hoping someone out there has dove them and can tell us wannabuys if they are really as good as expected. Christmas is coming & my santa likes to buy early.

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 08:54
Right now just the medium - regular size is in stock. I've compared them to others, and to me, they are exactly the same as the tusa except with a different buckle system. We will have some out at the lake if anyone wants to try them at clear springs this weekend.

Krakenn
08-24-2007, 09:36
What are they like compared to the V12 Oceanic larry?

Kraks

Krakenn
08-24-2007, 21:30
KK - I already asked this didnt I

Smiles

Kraks

PlatypusMan
08-24-2007, 21:56
We will have some out at the lake if anyone wants to try them at clear springs this weekend.

I'll be looking for them--the stars have aligned and I'll be out there with Ken tomorrow.

Lethal_OZ
08-25-2007, 12:31
Also very keen to hear the verdict on how they compare to the Oceanic V12's?

Geronimo
08-26-2007, 10:50
I'm still waiting to hear what the verdict is on these things.

I've been trying to figure out whether I can afford the Apollo Bio-fins or if I should go with something cheaper. Since I have to buy a set for myself and my wife, I'm leaning towards going the cheaper route. With the discount and the low price to start with, these look like a good deal.

But I'd like to hear from someone who's actually tried them.

Fish Killer
08-27-2007, 12:50
Did anyone try thes out this weekend?

CrzyJay456
08-28-2007, 14:31
no one seems to have tried them? only mention that they will. maybe these things are soooo good that they wanna keep it a secret. me personally, i have fins (tusa splitts) and they work... so when i need some new ones, i'll start shopping. but the color patter is rather nice.

Fish Killer
09-06-2007, 13:20
It seems by now that SOMEBODY has tried these fins.
On 8/24 Larry said they would be availbale to test that weekend.
2 weekendas + a holiday have past & another weekend is coming.....maybe by next week we can have an answer.

Cichlid
09-10-2007, 01:22
I posted a limited review here:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=48744#post48744

Fish Killer
09-19-2007, 16:20
Has anyone done a serious open water test dive with these fins yet?
In 8/24 they were available. Whats up?
Larry, surely you have let somebidy use these fins or beter yet you have used them yourself.

ScubaToys Larry
09-19-2007, 16:33
We'll have some out at the lake this weekend for our big party, and I know a lot of our board members will be there... maybe we can get some feedback then!

Krakenn
09-24-2007, 08:07
Hmm no feedback, you had better put those fins in the Clearance section Larry. Sounds like they are duds.

Kraks

Fish Killer
09-25-2007, 14:39
Maybe people liked them soooooo much they are still wearing them and don't have time to write up their feedback :-0

Larry, If you send me a pair I promise to dive tham and give you notch fedback! ;-)

Fish Killer
10-09-2007, 17:53
Larry
What gives? These new Mares RAptors are preported to be the best thing since split fins began but there is no real review posted here except for a pool trial. Nice but hardly what I expected from your kick as? site and especially not for something as highly touted as these fins.

This thread was started in August, soon it will be 2 months, and as I said before Christmas is coming and my santa likes to buy early!

Please give us something...........

ScubaToys Larry
10-09-2007, 18:08
Well, I'm looking for impartial reports... I can't write them for the customers!!

I gave my limited talk about them... basically, they are Tusa Zoom fins with a different buckle system. If you had zooms, I wouldn't tell you to trade... if you are looking for a split, and feel the Apollos are too flexible, and you like the raptor buckles better than the standard zoom buckles.. then - there you go. They also have these is a green color that the tusa doesn't offer....

But that's it from my standpoint...

okidiver
10-09-2007, 20:04
My only question is are the blades angled down like the Zooms?

And to reply to the question about the comparison to the V-12's, they've gotta be better than them. I've owned a pair of v-12's and hated them. To wobbly, unbalanced, heavy etc. That's why I went with the Bio's. Perfect balance, the right weight, comfortable etc.

ScubaToys Larry
10-09-2007, 20:12
Yup.. same angle.

okidiver
10-21-2007, 01:47
Dam. Thanks Larry.

mitsuguy
10-21-2007, 03:56
I've looked at a dozen pics of the Mares.... same as the Tusa's... my money says Tusa even builds them for Mares...

divedeeper
10-29-2007, 22:36
Ok they're sweet looking... I dig the green ones. What about performance? Hasn't anyone tried them to rave either way about them?? I want to buy new fins but I waited til the Nov Scubalab and they didn't even test them... grrr. Are they worth the extra cash or should i save my cash and go for something cheaper?

okidiver
11-17-2007, 22:54
Ok they're sweet looking... I dig the green ones. What about performance? Hasn't anyone tried them to rave either way about them?? I want to buy new fins but I waited til the Nov Scubalab and they didn't even test them... grrr. Are they worth the extra cash or should i save my cash and go for something cheaper?\

APOLLO BIO-FINS!!!!! 8 YEARS STRAIGHT NO. 1. Well balanced, open toe foot pocket for more comfort and less toe fatigue, and all rubber. Which means that it will last a lot longer (pending on the amount of diving you do) than some of the other split fins that has plastic mixed in them.

divedeeper
12-03-2007, 15:37
Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying Tusa Tri-Ex's and I'll find out tomorrow night during my first confined water dive how I like them. I am intrigued about the apollo bios. When I save up enough cash to get new fins (after my scuba rig) I'll probably go with those. Thanks gang!

mitsuguy
04-04-2008, 03:29
Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying Tusa Tri-Ex's and I'll find out tomorrow night during my first confined water dive how I like them. I am intrigued about the apollo bios. When I save up enough cash to get new fins (after my scuba rig) I'll probably go with those. Thanks gang!

I agree... they are not made for surface swimming though...

lay on your back and surface swim... then let me know...

edit: this was supposed to be in response to cmburch's post, but its not here anymore... ???

cmburch
04-04-2008, 03:44

I agree... they are not made for surface swimming though...

lay on your back and surface swim... then let me know...

edit: this was supposed to be in response to cmburch's post, but its not here anymore... ???
I moved to new thread. I am a shore diver. I was out on the water for a few hours sightseeing and collecting abalone in Mendocino. We do not swim on our backs unless on clear open water away from rocks and kelp. Also it is against the law in California to spear gulls, pelicans and cormorants. I made a mistake. I have Apollo that work fine all around. If I could bend the Raptors straight for me they would work.

cmburch
04-04-2008, 03:57
Unhappy with Mares Raptors
I do not really know if I like my new Mares Raptors. I do not like the foot box because it is essentially hard plastic. I do not think that I like the angle when standing or surface kicking. They definitely work well under water and feel great there. I am thinking I should have forked out the money for the Atomic Smokes. And I am kind of regretting my purchase. I'm going to give them one more try tomorrow against my buddy surface swimming to see if it is just my perception, but I think the strange angle is causing them to stick up out of the water. I wonder if Mares has a performance guarantee for unhappy customers?

turnpikemike
08-06-2008, 14:42
I've had some of these fins for a few months now. I really like them. I think they have a really good balance of power and comfort (rigidity and softness) for a split fin. I could see how the hard foot pocket wouldn't be so great if it didn't fit your boot, but mine fit really well. I think helps a lot to transfer power into the fins themselves that the foot pocket is so hard, otherwise it seems like you lose energy in stretching the fin back up to your foot.

cmburch
08-06-2008, 14:56
I am glad to hear that you like them. Perhaps they are just too alien to me with the hard plastic footbox and the weird angle. They work well underwater for me.

I am thinking about the Gara Professional for my next fin.

CeeTee
10-14-2008, 07:34
I have been using these fins for a while now. During my recent trip to Ft Lauderdale I gave these fins a good workout. When there is no current they are great. However in strong current they are almost useless. The buckle system is the worst on the market. I had a hard time taking my fins off on several dives. I will keep them because they are so good in slow moving water but I will change the buckles and probably move on to another fin style that is more effective in strong current some time in the future.

My Rating: B

ScubaToys Larry
10-14-2008, 07:48
I have been using these fins for a while now. During my recent trip to Ft Lauderdale I gave these fins a good workout. When there is no current they are great. However in strong current they are almost useless. The buckle system is the worst on the market. I had a hard time taking my fins off on several dives. I will keep them because they are so good in slow moving water but I will change the buckles and probably move on to another fin style that is more effective in strong current some time in the future.

My Rating: B

Hey CeeTee... Welcome to the forum! I'd suggest checking out some different options for straps if you don't like the mares ones (and I'm with you on that one...) Maybe some spring straps Scuba Diving Fins Fin Accessories with reviews on sale (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=2&subcat=168&txtsearchParamCat=13&txtCatName=2)

As far as the comments of using splits in a current - I believe a lot of that might be perception. If a fin is good in still water - it has to put the same propulsion out in moving water as well. Might be fun to try to swap with someone else while in a current and see if you don't change your mind on that one. Check out this little article I did a while back:
Split Fins in a Current, Bio Fin, biofin, Bio Fins and Tusa Split Fins (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/splitcurrent.asp)

openhelix
05-06-2009, 19:03
Has anyone put the Mares spring straps on the raptors yet? Any issues? Noticeable performance increase?

CODMAN
05-07-2009, 09:04
I don't think you're going to get a performance increase on fins by using a spring strap.:smilie40:What you are going to get is more ease putting them on and comfort.

Cheers!:smiley20:

Has anyone put the Mares spring straps on the raptors yet? Any issues? Noticeable performance increase?