PDA

View Full Version : Project Aware

Zenagirl
01-30-2008, 07:23
My husband and I did our Project Aware specialty last night and really enjoyed it. Our instructor was very passionate and knowledgeable and although much of the information was disturbing (pollution, overfishing, by-catch, etc.) it was extremely important information that not only every diver should know, but every person should be aware of.

It's PADI's specialty of the year this year and after taking the class, we're both pleased that PADI is promoting such an important class. If you have a good instructor, it's 2-3 hours well spent.

SarahBella
01-30-2008, 10:49
Thanks for the information-It sounds like its worth looking into.

cummings66
01-30-2008, 19:34
I participate in the Project Aware cleanups every year and enjoy them, but I've never taken the class. Besides the statistics, what are they teaching you in the class that makes it worthwhile?

Zenagirl
01-31-2008, 07:38
It's basically a class about the worldwide problems with the ocean and what we can do to help. It's literally a class about making divers aware of what the bigger picture is. This is definitely a class where the instructor makes all the difference in the world. A lousy instructor would make taking the class painful.

MLenyo
01-31-2008, 15:12
It's basically a class about the worldwide problems with the ocean and what we can do to help. It's literally a class about making divers aware of what the bigger picture is. This is definitely a class where the instructor makes all the difference in the world. A lousy instructor would make taking the class painful.

sounds a bit like college!

Zyxistal
02-01-2008, 18:02
How much was it to take the class?

I had looked into it but wasnt sure the class would be worth the cost.

Zenagirl
02-02-2008, 07:44
Our shop had a special price since it was the specialty of the month in December. We paid $45 and afterward felt we wouldn't have wanted to pay more than $75 at most.

cummings66
02-02-2008, 08:43
I can agree with that thought process. Feel good classes are not high on my list of things to do and I would limit how much I'd willingly spend on them.

snagel
02-03-2008, 08:29
I guess the way I look at it is the more information, knowledge, and experience you have just makes you a better and safer diver. I can't say that I would shell out the money for this type of class, but if you got something out of the class and you enjoyed the class - thumbs up for you.

S. Nagel

cummings66
02-03-2008, 10:31
I suppose that's what I was getting at, a class to expand your skills and thus safety would be great. After I got ALL the training done that I want I would consider classes like this because it might be interesting.

What I wonder though, is it updated? IE I can browse on the Internet and find out many things going on currently, to be useful a class must be constantly updated. Is this on current with the world?

Zenagirl
02-03-2008, 18:41
Our instructor was very up to date with the information, but you're right, you can get everything on the internet if you look.

The main reason we took the class is because we decided since we have 4 specialties we planned to take, we might as well do a 5th and get our MSD rating. For us it's just the mark of a milestone since we have no intention of going pro. Anyway, when we saw that we could do Project Aware for $45, we thought it was the perfect fast and cheap specialty for our 5th one.

We were pleasantly surprised that it was an excellent class (great instructor), and ultimately felt it was well worth our time, so I wanted to share that.

RoyN
02-03-2008, 20:52
hmmm, I think I'll ask my lds about project aware.

cummings66
02-03-2008, 22:56
Can't argue as to why you took it. Good enough reason to find a cheap class that's not boring as all get out.