PDA

View Full Version : When will Morrison Springs Be Open?

easyrider003
01-30-2008, 16:14
I guess the title says it all. Would like to dive there again this summer if possible

UCFKnightDiver
01-30-2008, 16:20
me too easyrider there is a pretty good thread going over on scuba board about it I hope its open soo I would like to dive it too.

FishFood
01-30-2008, 17:28
Diving Nutz - Morrison Springs, Florida, Updates (http://www.divingnutz.com/morrisonnews.php)

On Jan 3rd construction officially began....For information regarding whether the site is open or closed, call:

Commissioner Scott Brannon:
Tel: (850) 835-4860

So, really, no-one knows :l

easyrider003
01-30-2008, 17:41
I guess I will just have to call the county commisions office on the weekend I may be headed that way to find out. Thanks

ScubaToys Larry
01-30-2008, 18:27
I just moved this to Florida instead of the NW... might get more responses here...

jeepbrew
01-30-2008, 19:34
I just moved this to Florida instead of the NW... might get more responses here...

LOL... you would think!

FishFood
01-30-2008, 20:12
Bah, ask anyone, Morrison is in Lower Alabama. :smiley2:

mike_s
01-30-2008, 21:18
I talked to Susan in the commisioners office about 2 weeks ago..... pretty much it being open is "anyone knows". I doubt they'll goto trouble to open it up for weekends, much less report it to anybody....

this is just being poorly done...

rainmaker
02-12-2008, 11:07
This is a recent photo (taken from the thread at ScubaBoard) concerning the "progress" being made at Morrison Springs.

I love the smell of pork in the morning.......

Puffer Fish
02-12-2008, 11:43
This is a recent photo (taken from the thread at ScubaBoard) concerning the "progress" being made at Morrison Springs.

I love the smell of pork in the morning.......

Knowing those trees in the picture very well, the place appears to be seriously flooded (which is pretty common there). So how are they going to manage to handle the typical 6 or 8 ft of rise and fall that can happen there?

We used to just not go there then... I have a very bad feeling abouth this project.

hoobascooba
02-12-2008, 13:23
So how are they going to manage to handle the typical 6 or 8 ft of rise and fall that can happen there?

i thought they were gonna install some sort of floating dock?

UCFKnightDiver
02-12-2008, 18:45
yeah i dont know if you would want to dive it now in flood stage

FyVe
02-14-2008, 08:51
So what exactly are they building in that mud? is it safe to put a structure up in that kind of foundation?

FishFood
02-14-2008, 15:22
So what exactly are they building in that mud? is it safe to put a structure up in that kind of foundation?

The creek was 1ft under flood stage when that picture was taken. By this summer most of that mud will be gone.

Piers are built in ponds/river/creeks all the time, so Im sure it's safe :smiley20:

mike_s
02-14-2008, 15:40

They are putting in new parking (paved, a pavillion later for 'educational purposes', a boardwalk that is ADA compliant and a bath-house (not sure if it includes showers).

Also being done downstram is a new seperate boat ramp to seperate the boaters launching in the diving/swimming area.

They have about $800k in grant money to 'pave paradise'.

here's a site layout plan

http://www.pcbdownunder.com/springs/images/morrisonplan.jpg

FyVe
02-14-2008, 18:15
aha. i see. i take it before this people would just park anywhere? just on the grass somewhere?

mike_s
02-15-2008, 08:48
aha. i see. i take it before this people would just park anywhere? just on the grass somewhere?

There wasn't really designated parking earlier, just mostly the area was dirt/sand hard packed and everyone pulled off to the side in undefined parking areas.

Often people would park along the beach area or blocking the beach area. This caused problems with local fishermen who were trying to get to the water with their boats. (there was no boat ramp, they just backed in the water on the hard sand beach.). Or when they came back from a morning of fishing to find the beach blocked and they couldnt' get their boats out.

Besides the issue the fishermen had, I never really had any problems parking there.... it was just park where you want. Not really any grass anywhere to park on though. it was all worn down. (maybe that was one of their issues, trying to grow grass.)

solodiver
03-04-2008, 07:30
remember the first rule in scuba,... don't hold yoru breath.

I expect it to take years.

Not much will happen during the rain and floods, If they use prison labor,... like they do with the other park projects, it could turn into more then years.

Plan to boat up there the next week

Can taek one diver on the Wate Dog to Cypress or Pass

mike_s
03-04-2008, 08:08
remember the first rule in scuba,... don't hold yoru breath.

I expect it to take years.

Not much will happen during the rain and floods, If they use prison labor,... like they do with the other park projects, it could turn into more then years.

Plan to boat up there the next week

Can taek one diver on the Wate Dog to Cypress or Pass

They contracted this out.... (of course the contractor might use prison labor....)

our county comission is also famous for using prison labor to get task done. It takes about twice as long but of course doesn't cost anything.

Navy OnStar
06-01-2008, 21:16
Went to Vortex Springs today and one of the divers there said Morrisons was supposed to open soon, (Didn't have a date) but he had driven by and it is still closed.

FishFood
06-01-2008, 21:19
They're planning on having it open in time for the 4th of July. It'll be tight. They have a long way to go.

MarkN7
06-02-2008, 00:24
Was by there on 5/18 and the boardwalk part was finished but the tank racks were incomplete and the floating dock had not been installed. No paving done at that point but you could tell where it was all going to be.

mike_s
06-02-2008, 11:31
There are recent pics on the Morrison springs is dead? thread on Scubaboard.

FishFood
06-02-2008, 12:14
Same pictures are in my signature ;)

mike_s
06-02-2008, 13:57
Same pictures are in my signature ;)

yep those... I couldn't remember who posted them on SB.

mwhities
06-02-2008, 13:59
I'm missing Morrisons Spring. :|

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=morrison+spring&search_type=)

pcbdownunder
10-22-2008, 06:38
Posted new photos of Morrison springs on my website Morrison Springs a great vacation destination fun place to scuba dive, swim and picnic (http://pcbdownunder.com/springs/morrison.htm)

monant
10-22-2008, 08:47
The county either already has or is in the process of installing a sign prohibiting divers from entering the water at the new boat ramp in order to make their way to the spring.

For any questions or just to ask when the park will open, call the Walton County Public Information Officer Christopher Mitchell at 850-892-8155.

UCFKnightDiver
10-22-2008, 08:54
they already have, i think it says no diving, but anyways something to that end. I was out there last weekend, there were a bunch of divers there, and to be honest we just parked in the parking lot and walked over to the spring through the park, not that long of a walk, and this was my first dive here, beautiful is all I can say above and below water, probably the 2nd best cavern I have been to. Only thing bad was my light went out (new battery trying to cycle it :()

mike_s
10-22-2008, 09:54
The county either already has or is in the process of installing a sign prohibiting divers from entering the water at the new boat ramp in order to make their way to the spring.

The sign is there. (see boat ramp in background).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachments/florida-conch-divers/50532d1223170105-morrison-springs-update-boatramp-600.jpg

For any questions or just to ask when the park will open, call the Walton County Public Information Officer Christopher Mitchell at 850-892-8155.

I've spoken to Chris several times and he's always been nice, but the last time I spoke to him he said there had been so many delays and "missed plannned opening dates" that the county wasn't even going to set a date for when it was going to re-open.

pcbdownunder
10-23-2008, 12:42
You can visit my website to see photos taken in the last 2 weeks at Morrison Springs http://pcbdownunder.com/springs/morrison.htm check back later ill have more. they are fixing the small problems the construction engineers missed. someone asked about getting back on the dive platform, they have ladder(s) ordered to be welded to the platform and marker bouys to keep boats with outboards out of the basin area. (hopefully!)

Black-Gorrilla
10-23-2008, 14:27
thanks for the pictures... looks like it's really nice.
i have to check it out some day.

divinginn
10-23-2008, 19:48
we did a few dives there last weekend during Voctoberfest,as far as I can tell it is ready to open,water is on,trashbags are in the trashcans,just needs the locks taken off the gate,I talked to one man out there that told me that they were wating on a water quality test to come back before they would release the contractor for the job,but how long does it really take to do a water test? We had a great dive and got to visit the eels in the cavern,saw one about 5 ft long. All and all a great day to be diving.

mike_s
10-23-2008, 23:10
we did a few dives there last weekend during Voctoberfest,as far as I can tell it is ready to open,water is on,trashbags are in the trashcans,just needs the locks taken off the gate,I talked to one man out there that told me that they were wating on a water quality test to come back before they would release the contractor for the job,but how long does it really take to do a water test? We had a great dive and got to visit the eels in the cavern,saw one about 5 ft long. All and all a great day to be diving.

I don't think they have even done the paperwork for the permits yet. (this from talking to one of the county officials about 2 weeks ago).

we'll they've had two to three years to apply for the permits with the Health Department or get the paperwork started. What I'm trying to say was that they knew this MONTHS ago. just example of your average goverment worker "at work" in their comissioners office.

BTW... I was there for the first planning meeting in October 2005. So they had plenty of time since then to figure out a master plan for this and it's obvious they've missed deadlines for this several times this year.

monant
11-20-2008, 09:41
The last I've heard is it should be open around Thanksgiving. It will probably be pushed off even further as Thanksgiving draws closer.

mike_s
11-20-2008, 09:49
well every date they've set has been missed.

The county really isn't in any hurry about re-opening it seems.

Now they've got the boat ramp open, they can appease the local fishermen, which is pretty much what started this project in the first place.

monant
11-20-2008, 12:04
well every date they've set has been missed.

The county really isn't in any hurry about re-opening it seems.

Now they've got the boat ramp open, they can appease the local fishermen, which is pretty much what started this project in the first place.

And if they were going to charge to enter the park, it probably would have been open long ago.

pcbdownunder
11-23-2008, 10:38
I talked with Scott Brannon's secretary Friday she said the approval for the well should happen within the next 3 weeks and the spring could be opened to the public,
Glen from Panama City Beach FL scuba diving videos and snorkling and* dive charters and places to stay (http://pcbdownunder.com) check out my new videos!!!

b1draper
12-04-2008, 08:50
I'm going to Vortex and Morrison this weekend to shoot an episode of my dive series. I've got a guy from Parks and Rec opening the gate for me at Morrison and I'll ask him about the parks Estimated time of opening.

FishFood
12-04-2008, 18:02
I'm going to Vortex and Morrison this weekend to shoot an episode of my dive series. I've got a guy from Parks and Rec opening the gate for me at Morrison and I'll ask him about the parks Estimated time of opening.

Say what? Opening the gate to dive? How'd you arrange that?

b1draper
12-05-2008, 06:45

Say what? Opening the gate to dive? How'd you arrange that?

I just emailed them and asked if I could shoot an episode at the park.

mike_s
12-05-2008, 13:11
amazing how they think they are getting some media coverage and they all the sudden want to let divers in....

freaking bueracrats. (sp?)

b1draper
12-08-2008, 09:52
Morrison was flooded out. I sent a guy down to see how bad the vis was and he said it was dark water with near zero vis all the way down to the cavern enterence.

I taked to the guy from Parks and Rec about the "No Diving" signs. (this is the guy that put the signs up) The sign means no diving head first into the water. He said when they gave him the signs he questioned the management and they said these are ment in the same fasion as the ones at the county pools. Scuba diving is allowed he's been there when there were classes and everything.

The "park closed" signs mean don't use the facilities. I told him about the roumer of divers being ticketed and he said that they can't ticket you because you havent done anything wrong. Now, this is from the guy that installed the signs and he should know what the intent was. Walking through the park is acceptable as is parking at the boat ramp and swimming to the spring.

They are installing a bouy line for the spring head to keep boats out of the area. They are also installing ladders. The bouys and ladders are in the office to be installed and those are items that ARE NOT holding the opening up. DEP has to come out there and they've been putting the county off. The Parks and Rec dept is very frustrated and they know we are also.

When is the park opening? As soon as DEP gets on the stick and inspects the water quality of the drinking fountian. However from what the Parks and Rec guy said we can dive there.

ReefMonkey
01-20-2009, 11:23
My first post, Hi Everyone!
I was out at Morrison this past weekend and realized I hadn't gone there all last year! Wow, things have changed since 1979, when I first went.
Things haven't changed since the last post since it's still not opened but we went in anyway! Glad to know we didn't break the law, sorta.
It looked to me like everything was finished. What I didn't see was a dive shop or a ticket booth. Anyone know if they're going to charge to get in?

pcbdownunder
01-23-2009, 10:04
I talked to Commisioner Scott Brannon's office this morning, they told me that plans are to open the spring by the end of next week? Feburary 1st. They are saying the permit for the drinking water well is the hold up.

pcbdownunder
02-23-2009, 15:28
Finally there is hope!
I received a phone call from Scott Brannon's office this morning and an email from Christopher Mitchell, Public Information Officer containing the official news release. You can go to my news page at: http://pcbdownunder.com/news/news.htm (http://pcbdownunder.com/news/news.htm) to read the whole article.
Glen from PCBDOWNUNDER

pockyjunky
02-28-2009, 14:29
Hello all!

I'm not a diver, but I do live about 10 miles from Morrison Springs. It's now open. I'm not sure of all of the details but the grandopening was last week. They cut a fancy ribbon and everything.

Oh, and we are NOT in Alabama. lol That is REALLY insulting to people from my area.

Have a great time diving and enjoy your visit to Florida.:smiley2:

pcbdownunder
03-02-2009, 08:04
The Ribbon cutting Ceremony was Thursday February 26, 2009. You can view the entire ceremony by going to my website: Morrison Springs cavern and cave diving Ponce De Leon FL (http://pcbdownunder.com/springs/morrison.htm)
It is now official Morrison Springs Park is now open!!!!
Glen from: Scuba diving in Panama City Beach Florida scuba diving videos and dive spots (http://www.pcbdownunder.com)

mike_s
03-02-2009, 10:09
Oh, and we are NOT in Alabama. lol That is REALLY insulting to people from my area.

:smilie39:

The only difference in the area where Morrison is and "Lower Alabama" is that once you cross that dotted line on the map you can buy Lottery tickets....