PDA

View Full Version : Help with new format!

ScubaToys Larry
07-28-2007, 16:25
Yea... I know. I'm cheating here... but it turns out, more people come to welcome new people than ever read my announcements - so I figured I'd post here.

We're working on changing the look of the forum, and I need your help!

Please go to the bottom of your screen, and down there you will see a little drop down box. Choose Blue Pearl and let me know what you think!

We will leave the other format also, so people will be able to swap back and forth, but we are thinking of making the blue pearl the default skin for the forum. Do you like? :smiley20: or no? :smiley21:

We still have to tweak it a bit... but you get the idea. Please take the poll, and post up your thoughts.

Queen
07-28-2007, 16:30
:smiley21: Seriously, it makes it really hard to stop in during work hours when it's that obvious. :smiley36:

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 16:32
It's very very very blue. When I see it, I cannot stop thinking of that one girl in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. And the original movie was very disturbing. New one isn't too bad but that first one, that was very....off?

MxDiver
07-28-2007, 16:41
:smiley21: Seriously, it makes it really hard to stop in during work hours when it's that obvious. :smiley36:

I agree, although our bosses may be happy about that.

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 16:41
I think it looks good

BSea
07-28-2007, 16:46
I like it personally. Sorry about the guys & gals that have a hard time because of work, but maybe this would be a good thing. At least for their companies. Hey, it is a dive forum, it should be aquatic looking. Plus, I like the 3D. And, it is optional . . . . isn't it?

The only thing that bothers me is that it's hard to see the posting date & time.

plot
07-28-2007, 16:59
Honestly, I like the default style best. Blue Perl looks to dark... or something... maybe with a different background for the text area it'd be ok.

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 16:59
Try a lighter, or less saturated, blue, perhaps? It's just overwhelmingly blue! Right now I have it set on something with a medium and a light blue, both sort of pastels, not neons, and white. I like it. Nothing has an extremely sharp contrast, it is easy onthe eyes.

ScubaToys Larry
07-28-2007, 17:00

Hmmm... Never thought much about that... Maybe a need a new template that looks like a spread sheet! :smilie39:

Bill22
07-28-2007, 17:01
Please go to the bottom of your screen, and down there you will see a little drop down box. Choose Blue Pearl and let me know what you think!

Sorry, it feels a little rough on the eyes to me. But I'll go with whatever you guys decide! :-)

Queen
07-28-2007, 17:02

Hmmm... Never thought much about that... Maybe a need a new template that looks like a spread sheet! :smilie39:

Excellent idea!! :clap:

plot
07-28-2007, 17:05
hehe... needs my companies homepage layout

TommyB
07-28-2007, 17:34
Thanks!!
Great feedback.

You can always use the pull-down and swap back and forth while we mess with the color scheme

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 17:43
Blue? what Blue?

Illini_Fan
07-28-2007, 17:47
Not a fan of the back ground color -- I do like the way the member information is displayed with this scheme.

ScubaToys Larry
07-28-2007, 17:54
Blue? what Blue?

You have to go to the bottom of the page, then choose Blue Pearl from the drop down menu.

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 18:27
Larry I love it.

It suits the mood.

Feels very HR Giger for some reason.

I'll keep an eye out for the aliens tho'

Ajuva

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 18:38
Now that is blue!
How's about maybe a darker text?

kevinj1
07-28-2007, 19:56
I like the blue, it is a little different but aquatic colors are always great.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 20:00
For me it's a bit tough to read. But at the ripe old age of 27 perhaps it's time for reading glasses?

thesmoothdome
07-28-2007, 20:28
I like the look of the blue Perl, just not sure about the blueness of it. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 20:45
thesmoothdome - I must incredibly slow, because I just figured out your name. Too funny! My SO should probably go by the name greypower.

Queen
07-29-2007, 07:04
PLEASE put back the "New Posts" tab at the top of the page!! I hit it automatically on every board I visit...now I'm all confused?? :D

plot
07-29-2007, 07:39
PLEASE put back the "New Posts" tab at the top of the page!! I hit it automatically on every board I visit...now I'm all confused?? :D

it's there under "new topics"

or hit "user cp" to see all the threads YOU'VE posted that someone has replied too.

Queen
07-29-2007, 07:41

or hit "user cp" to see all the threads YOU'VE posted that someone has replied too.

I found it but prefer the one-hit format. :smiley20:

plot
07-29-2007, 07:48

I found it but prefer the one-hit format. :smiley20:

have your fav places link direct to that then, so everytime you come here it goes directly to that page. :D

Tommy
07-29-2007, 13:38
:)
50 requests for multi - search option
50 requests for "one hit searches)

go figure --:smiley29:

have your fav places link direct to that then, so everytime you come here it goes directly to that page.

here's the code =

http://forum.scubatoys.com/search.php?do=getnew

TommyB
07-29-2007, 14:49
I'll add the one button search here in a bit--

Was giving Larry option to code it in the Navbar--
I think we'll let him stick to snorkels, instead of coding:smilie_staub:

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 14:52

I think we'll let him stick to snorkels, instead of coding:smilie_staub:

If it weren't for the fact that you're damn good at this, and I owe you big time for all your help here... I'd be offended and hurt. :smiley19:

Queen
07-29-2007, 15:02
Sweet!

I have no idea what this means but it's sounds very computery. :smiley36:

TommyB
07-29-2007, 15:52
One button search
Added--

NEXT :)

fire diver
07-29-2007, 16:08
honestly, I can't find the blue pearl button. The only drop down menu at the bottom of my page is to jump to a different forum.

FD

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 16:24
Yea... sorry about that... It wasn't going over too good so we took it back off.

edit: I just turned it back on so you can check it out.

Queen
07-29-2007, 16:36
Yea... sorry about that... It wasn't going over too good so we took it back off.

edit: I just turned it back on so you can check it out.

I'm on a couple of boards where they leave that feature on and there are 3-4 skins to choose from, seems to work well as folks have different preferences/monitor resolutions/vision issues.

plot
07-29-2007, 16:39
One button search
Added--

NEXT :)

since you're taking suggestions...

make me an administrator :D

TxHockeyGuy
07-29-2007, 16:43
Yikes, put me down for a no on the blue pearl. Way too much blue, hard to read. But by all means leave the option in, if some like it, let em use it.

fire diver
07-29-2007, 16:54
I like it, but I think I would eventually get tired of the never ending blue. I like the standard "skin" best.

FD

plot
07-29-2007, 17:07
post a reply screen no longer features smilies and other crap like that

stingray
07-29-2007, 17:09

You probably accidently changed your settings in your control panel. Go to the User CP, then edit options, then at the bottom, choose Enhanced WYSISYG.

plot
07-29-2007, 17:13

You probably accidently changed your settings in your control panel. Go to the User CP, then edit options, then at the bottom, choose Enhanced WYSISYG.

someone else changed it for me, i swear :embarassed: :icon_neutral:

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 17:29

Oh sure... when I get bored, I go in and mess with peoples settings just so they think they're going senile! :smilie39:

Harshal
07-30-2007, 15:02
Yep if you can make it look like spreadsheet would be perfect, draws too much attention at work...........:)

Vercingetorix
07-30-2007, 17:33
Yep if you can make it look like spreadsheet would be perfect, draws too much attention at work...........Along these lines, I've asked Joe to change the register receipt in the store so that it says something like Auto Repair Shop instead of ScubaToys. The wife HATES to see those ScubaToys receipts. Auto Repair? Not so much.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 18:17
sweet idea ^

Wife: "honey, where you off to?"
you: "i gotta get the car checked out..."
wife "again? thats the 3rd time this week"
you: "yea, i know... it's starting to get annoying, they said it's gonna be expensive this time... "

and thats when you buy big... at least a few thousand worth... so that you can try and hold off for a bit... cause if the car breaks again, your wife will kill you.

Dive-aholic
07-31-2007, 03:26
I'm not a fan of the Blue Pearl. With my job, what I'm surfing doesn't make a difference. :D But that's just way too much for my eyes. I like the format, just not the color. Maybe a more subtle color?

picxie
07-31-2007, 04:30
I love the blue, but voted no as it is hard to read. One of the main things I learnt in a PR class a few years back was that if you are doing a webpage or a presentation or something, have black writing on white (or close), don't have white writing on a colour as it can be difficult to read. I know another forum I visit is white writing on dark background, and after a bit it can strain my eyes so I leave. Of course that might be a sign of old age too.

picxie
07-31-2007, 04:31

Oh sure... when I get bored, I go in and mess with peoples settings just so they think they're going senile! :smilie39:

Oh if I had your power I would so be doing that!!! :smilie39: Muhahahaha!

TommyB
07-31-2007, 04:54
I love the blue, but voted no as it is hard to read. One of the main things I learnt in a PR class a few years back was that if you are doing a webpage or a presentation or something, have black writing on white (or close), don't have white writing on a colour as it can be difficult to read. I know another forum I visit is white writing on dark background, and after a bit it can strain my eyes so I leave. Of course that might be a sign of old age too.

Depends on who the market is also :)
My market is the gamers, so they tend to like that those dark themes for some reason :) No clue--
http://ww.clan-solutions.com/

http://dow-gamers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13601&styleid=12

http://dow-gamers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13601&styleid=9

Really all depends on who the market is- and what your working on.
When my shades are up, and it's black letters on white, I can not even read it. and I have 4 24" monitors in a simi-cirlce. But put it on light words on dark, then I can read it all day--

One of those 1/2 empty 1/2 full things. Seldom will you get a consensus on
anything:smiley18:

Queen
07-31-2007, 06:58
ntburchf - You've done an amazing job here, thanks for all your efforts. :smiley20:

Queen
07-31-2007, 07:14
Another thought/suggestion - if the board keeps growing perhaps you could turn on the feature that allows editing or opting out of seeing certain sub-forums when you hit "New Posts". Very helpful when you are gone for 12+ hours and have 20 pages to look through. :D

ParrotHead
07-31-2007, 07:54
Although I do like the deep blue background - I think you need to turn the foreground color up a notch - Probably something in the yellow/gold spectrum will contrast well against the deep blue. If there is a way to make the posts this yellow/gold and keep the background functionality and links white, that may work.

Thanks for asking!

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 23:42
I dunno if I like it or not, it might grow on me. One thing I've noticed just from this thread is some of the smiley icons don't blend well with the textbox background color though.

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 23:26
It's cool...but VERY blue! Like someone else mentioned..it isn't quite as "stealthy" for at work forum "checkage"!

Home it's fine! (I also think it brings out my EYES!)

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 23:28
Way too much! The simpler - the better!

Xspect
08-19-2007, 22:25
I like it but....

Its blue everywhere. Maybe if you broke it up with more silver to make it truely a blue pearl thatll be good

subsur
08-20-2007, 11:23
i think you guys should have few different options and let us customize and use whatever we like the best - like yahoo or most other places.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 11:28
A little toooooooooooooooooooooooooo BLUE

mm_dm
08-20-2007, 12:23
It's okay as long as it's an option. Some days it might be hard for me to read, like Mondays.

dallasdivergirl
08-20-2007, 16:16
it's killing my speed on my phone!