View Full Version : Using My UK Light as a strobe

02-01-2008, 02:48
Greetings-This is my first post!

I have a Canon s50 (old school) with the WP-DC300 housing as well as an Underwater Kinetics (UK) Sunlight C8 dive light. I can't spent the $ right now to get a proper camera/housing/strobe/tray set.

I heard that I can get an arm (and tray) that will hold the UK torch. UK sent me to ULCS. I sent them pics of my light and they said that there's no arm to hold it!

Say it ain't so! Please help. Worst case scenario I can buy the tray and some other light, but I don't want to spend more than $125. I'd rather save for the new gear.

I'm leaving for Dominica in a week. If I can't sort this out I guess I'll pick up a red or magenta filter and hope for the best. Thoughts?

02-01-2008, 14:04
Save your money. Your UK light will help your auto focus lock-in faster but will not help your pictures. The intensity of the UK light is nowhere near that of a strobe. Get close and use your internal flash (hopefully you can diffuse it).


02-01-2008, 14:51
If the light has a removable handle like the UK HID100 does, you might be able to make a mount for it like I did, but like dbh said, your C8's not going to help much for still photos.
Click here to see what I did: http://forum.scubatoys.com/106408-post2.html

02-01-2008, 16:42
Use of a dive light for primary lighting is not really adequate, but you can use your dive light to aid in focusing, as above, or to fill out the subject to make a much better photo, this can be done by holding the light in your left hand and the camera in the right. See below, with and without the fill from a dive light:

02-04-2008, 11:23
A strobe is probably the way to go. My instructor did used a UK light before, but he could only do macro shoots.