PDA

View Full Version : Classes

coyote
02-03-2008, 09:12
Not sure where to post this, but here goes.

Can anyone recommend a good place to take an Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures class somewhere in the Midwest? An internet search offers a couple of places, but what I’m really looking for is a recommendation from someone who’s taken those classes.
I live in the middle of Illinois, but wouldn’t hesitate to road trip if need be.

Thanks!

cummings66
02-03-2008, 10:37
I've been doing my homework on that front as well. There isn't a lot of choices out there, I would like IANTD with TDI for the class so I could get the benefit of 100%.

I've talked to Slim at State Park Marina in Branson and he's without a doubt very serious about it. I have no doubt he knows the subject, but no clue as to how he is as an instructor for advanced courses like this.

Dive-aholic
02-03-2008, 21:12
If you want a good course, you should go to where an instructor that does those dives on a regular basis is located. It's one thing to teach it but another thing to be doing it regularly. If all your adv. nitrox/deco dives are as an instructor...

I lived in Arizona when I did mine. There were a few instructors in the area that taught those courses, but the only tech dives they did were when teaching. I ended up taking those courses in Florida.

cummings66
02-03-2008, 22:57
Slim's a cave diver and does the type of dives discussed for reasons other than teaching. That much I do know.

skdvr
02-04-2008, 06:08
When I decide to go that route I am going to go to The Great American Dive Company here in the St Louis area. They are actually in St Charles. That is my normal LDS that I frequent the most and those guys are always out doing deep and cave diving. I have not done a ton of research on them for the Tech stuff because I am not ready just yet, but from what I can tell they know what the hell they are doing. They are PADI based but I like the guys who run the shop. They are extremely knowledgeable and nice group. Both of the instructors that I have had through them for my drysuit and nitrox classes where tech divers and I talked to both of them a ton about it. Neither of which were tech instructors just avid divers. You can check out their courses here (http://www.tgadc.com/gotec.aspx). Might be a little bit of a trip from Central Il.

Phil

in_cavediver
02-04-2008, 16:42
I know of a very active IANTD/NACD trimix/cave instructor. He is located in Greenwood Indiana which is right next to Kokomo.

How much do I trust him - He did my wife's Advanced Nitrox Class, Tech nitrox class and cave classes. This was after my cave classes and around 50-60 cave dives so I knew what I was getting.

A bit about his classes. I know he likes to use Gilboa for the basics and skills do the checkout deeper dives up in the Great Lakes on wrecks.

PM me if your interested in name/contact info.

cummings66
02-04-2008, 17:41
I make have found a good instructor in OK as well, been talking with him and he seems to be a person who's in it to impart knowledge and skills, and won't give the cert without you earning them.

He's a TDI instructor and so far in out talks he seems good. In fact I bumped into him without knowing it. The New Years dive was also a day he was doing some classes, he saw our group out there and we saw him, basic hello type meeting. I didn't know at the time who he was, only that he was doing some kind of tech instruction.

fire diver
02-08-2008, 09:40
There are only 2 real instructors for that in OK. Are you talking about the cave diver from the Tulsa area (I can't remember his name right now) or Tim?

I spoke with both, and was going to go with Tim. He was my OW instructor, and is located right at the lake, so there no time lost traveling to the dive spot.

FD

skdvr
02-08-2008, 10:05
I have a friend of mine who is going to be doing the DIR-f calss the 1st weekend of March (I think) so if you are interested in that you could ask him about who he is using or if there is a spot left in the calss. He is on this board a little and on scubaboard a bit, his name is b1gcountry on both boards.

Phil