PDA

View Full Version : Apeks BP/W

DLXM Cayman
02-03-2008, 18:41
Does any use an Apeks BP/W or can anyone recommend (or advise against) it?

NitroWill
02-03-2008, 18:43
The backplate is a nice solid design that won't disappoint. Not sure what wing you would be considering with it..

DLXM Cayman
02-03-2008, 19:06
In my local DS they have the Apeks WTX3 wings to go with it.

whse56
02-03-2008, 19:07
My dive instructor has a Apeks set up and loves it, they use a panel that you bolt on to the backplate for your weights so they don't droop and pull at your harness. He says that the only thing he doesn't like it for is if you have a long walk to your dive the straps tend to dig into your shoulders.

cummings66
02-03-2008, 19:20
I'd tell you that the straps can dig into your shoulders on a long walk, I sometimes have black and blue marks on mine. Walk a tenth of a mile with one and support 60 lbs on it and you'll find marks as well. Now with about 114 lbs on it I'm sure to be sporting some new bruises this summer.

There are ways to avoid that if you want, but I don't care much. It's comfortable in the water is all that matters to me because I don't walk a lot with it. It's not a backpack after all.

I could say nothing bad about the plate, just make sure you get the proper size wing for your diving. Too much lift is as bad as too little.

RoyN
02-03-2008, 20:40
Just got mine in on Friday, can't wait to try it out though. :D

The only complain is it doesn't have too much webring but otherwise, that is fixable. I have is the WTX4, it has a 45lb lift and can go single or double tank.

Gombessa
02-03-2008, 21:51
I recently had an Apex bp/w I was selling for a friend. I'll tell you it's SUPER nice. The bp itself is great, it's a hunk of steel, big deal. The hardware on the hog harness though, my god. You'd think it was made for WWIII. I compared it against my Halcyon hog, and everything on the Apex (buckle, d-rings, triglides) are literally twice as thick as the Halcyon. I had some comparison pictures up for when I had it listed.

I seriously considered keeping the Apex and selling the Halcyon (would definitely have gotten a better price for the H name); the only reason I didn't was because my H had the MC pack and I'll be carrying an SMB there. I highly recommend the Apeks though, it's one solid rig.

DLXM Cayman
02-03-2008, 21:51
sounds like, apart from some discomfort on surface before a dive, that the general consensus is that it is a good set up - thanks all, much appreciated.

cummings66
02-03-2008, 22:49
On a normal dive where you're next to or near the dive spot it really isn't bad. However, long walks in light scuba gear will leave marks. For the most part it's not an issue.

BSea
02-04-2008, 08:38
The only thing I don't like about the setup is the wing. It's OK, but I think you'd be better of with an Oxycheq Mach V. But I'm sure your getting a package deal, so that may not work. The weight pockets are nice, but unless you are diving dry, I doubt you need them, and they are pretty expensive.

Nearly every BP/W will have the strap issue. The exceptions would be the harnesses like the diverite transplate harness.

RoyN
02-04-2008, 09:57
Whoo hoo! Got my backplate for it! Now I just need to carry is 8 pounds of lead and I'm good to go!

DLXM Cayman
02-04-2008, 14:46
let us know how it goes - congrats!

cummings66
02-04-2008, 18:54
One thing to remember on Wings, the larger it is on a single tank the more likely you are to experience the Taco effect, and that's not something you want to do. I had a buddy call a dive over his experience. He got one of the wings big enough to do doubles or singles, and he absolutely hated it. He bought a smaller 30 lb wing for the next dive.

Gombessa
02-04-2008, 19:55
One thing to remember on Wings, the larger it is on a single tank the more likely you are to experience the Taco effect, and that's not something you want to do. I had a buddy call a dive over his experience. He got one of the wings big enough to do doubles or singles, and he absolutely hated it. He bought a smaller 30 lb wing for the next dive.

That's an excellent point. In fact, it's not just jack-of-all-trade wings; some of the bigger singles wings, like my Apeks WTX3, also have a wider profile, and I can feel the air bubble on one side or the other and have to manage it more actively than on a Halcyon 30lb wing I've also dived with.

Not a huge deal, but it is noticeable.

RoyN
02-04-2008, 22:13
I noticed the WTX4 is wider and short then my old Scubapro Rec-Tek bladder which was narrow but long. Anyways, I am planning on getting a steel doubles in addition to using a single tank on that cell. Let me get some pictures of the BC to show off. :D

cummings66
02-04-2008, 22:17
I know this much, I prefer to have a wing for singles, and one for doubles. Currently I have the Taurus 49 lb wing for doubles and the LCD 30 for singles. Both work well for the purpose.

I like to be as small as possible yet still have some margin for things that go bump in night. I will say it's noticeable when you dive doubles with the larger amount of gas in the wing when you start the dive compared to a single with very little gas in the wing. You change what you do pretty quick.

RoyN
02-04-2008, 22:20
well, I was kinda short on cash so I just got the WTX4 which is a 45lb design for both the single and doubles. The scubapro rec-tek was a 55lb lift cell. My instructor said the WTX4 was perfectly stable with single and double. But I haven't tried it yet so I can't say anything about it.

cummings66
02-04-2008, 22:42
To be honest, I think any diver can make any BC or Wing stable given skill. You've got more than enough dives to make the transition seem as if it's something you've been doing all your life.

Aussie
02-05-2008, 06:20
I have a 44lbs Zeagle wing which came off a Zeagle Ranger. Its going to setup with my double faber 7litre 300bar rated cylinders. Even then its going to be a bit larger than required.

I have a 50lbs Zeagle manta wing for my double 12.2litres fabers and it has ample lift for a stage or two.

Dont get caught up with the huge lift you see some people have. I saw a visiting english diver with the big red OMS twin bladder 100lbs lift wing and he was using it on a single ally. I asked him why? He just said that he dives with doubles back home? i just shook my head. Double stages on each side would be more like it as this thing was huge.

Small is good smaller is better.

Aussie

cummings66
02-05-2008, 07:25
What I was told is that the wing needs to obviously first be able to lift the rig itself, then it needs to provide lift in the worst possible situation which is start of dive and a drysuit that has completely lost lift because it somehow got shredded.

So for example, if your twins are -10.3 full that's -20.6 lbs, + -5 BP for -26 lbs. The regs and manifold are probably another -4 so you have -30 at the start of a dive. Then add a couple lbs to allow you to loft the drysuit for an extended stop in cold water so you might have -32 lbs.

The tough part is how much lift you need if you lose the drysuit, for that you need to know how much lead it takes you to get neutral completely squeezed. Easiest way to do that is to figure it out in a pool, but if you wanted to make general assumptions you could take in my case the 49 lbs of lift - the 32 lbs of rig buoyancy and get 19 lbs of drysuit lift. That means worst case your drysuit should not lose more than 17 lbs of lift, mine doesn't. Mine takes 10 lbs to make neutral which gives me 7 lbs of excess lift.

A single tank rig;

-10.3 tank, -3 first stage and second, -5 for the BP giving -19 for the buoyancy needed to lift the rig. Now figure the possible 10 lbs of lost buoyancy with my drysuit and you have a total of 29 lbs needed under the worst conditions possible.

There you have the general idea of sizing a wing to your needs.

RoyN
02-06-2008, 22:02
Here is the picture of the BC I promised!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/royboy21/Picture001.jpg

cummings66
02-07-2008, 11:50
What kind of light is that?

RoyN
02-07-2008, 12:30
Thats the greenforce canister light. :D

I don't think its DIR compliment though...not sure...maybe is it?

Anyways, it has 2 umbilical, one for my head, and the other for my hand.

Gombessa
02-07-2008, 13:45
Roy - what's with the bottom dump on the wing? Is it closed off?

RoyN
02-07-2008, 16:35
Oh no! Thats an optional spot if I want to put the dump there. The dump is on my left side. I'm going to order a dump kit to put one on my right side too. Don't know why Apeks would do that. Just cost more money. :smiley19:

Or I could have my dive instructor put the cap on the left side and have the dump on my right instead. :D

Gombessa
02-07-2008, 16:41
I wouldn't bother. You only need one, and it's better on the left (same side as your inflator). This lets you keep your computer/depth gauge on your right wrist, visible at all times, and have your left hand free to dump/add air as needed.

RoyN
02-07-2008, 16:54
Alright! No more money for Apeks! :smiley20:

Just dove with it this morning. Very comfortable just like my scubapro S-tek, but with warranties. :smilie39:

cummings66
02-07-2008, 18:26
OK, so you like it then. That's what counts. As long as it's comfortable and works then it's good enough.

RoyN
02-07-2008, 19:45
Well...something is missing from it. I just can't put my finger on it though...:smiley5:

cummings66
02-07-2008, 19:50
I don't know, pockets?

Gombessa
02-07-2008, 19:56
Left hip D-ring

RoyN
02-08-2008, 01:44
I think its complete now. No more stuff to add....gotta save those pretty pennies. :D

BSea
02-08-2008, 09:40
I think its complete now. No more stuff to add....gotta save those pretty pennies. :D
Just curious, but did you add the plate to this, or is it just the soft harness? The reason I ask, is because those that I know that use the Apeks gear do one or the other, but not both.

RoyN
02-08-2008, 13:23
Just curious, but did you add the plate to this, or is it just the soft harness? The reason I ask, is because those that I know that use the Apeks gear do one or the other, but not both.

Just follow the finger :D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/royboy21/007.jpg

It goes through that hole and you fit the screws through the rivet holes and just put the soft thing back on. :D

cummings66
02-09-2008, 14:33
I'm confused, you're saying you don't have a BP in there then? IE you're showing where it would go, but there's nothing there so I'm guessing you don't have a plate then...

BSea
02-09-2008, 20:43

Just follow the finger :D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/royboy21/007.jpg

It goes through that hole and you fit the screws through the rivet holes and just put the soft thing back on. :D
I understand that you "CAN" put a plate in there, I was just wondering if you did. I can't be sure from the picture, but it looks like you don't have a plate.

cummings66
02-10-2008, 09:03
I'd agree, no plate and one loses many of the advantages of a BP that way.

RoyN
02-11-2008, 00:43
I understand that you "CAN" put a plate in there, I was just wondering if you did. I can't be sure from the picture, but it looks like you don't have a plate.

I haven't ordered the backplate. I'll order it once I save enough for the Cozumel trip though. I did borrowed my friend's dive-rite backplate and it work fine on it. I just had 8 pounds of lead while the back plate helped straighten the BC up. But thats the reason why I bought the harness in the first place, it doesn't need a backplate to use, but it has the option to install a backplate or I could just leave it as it is.