PDA

View Full Version : First Cayman Post

DLXM Cayman
02-03-2008, 18:58
thought that, as a resdient of the islands, I would nip in an make the first post here to say I am always happy to give people information, pointers (to the extent able) and advice in respect of Grand Cayman. With so many dive sites and operators, it really does pay to pick the right ones.

fisheater
02-03-2008, 19:18
Thanks.

I've been asked to go on a trip to the Little Cayman Beach Resort in late January next year.

I would be diving, but my wife would be hanging in the resort. The diving is through "Reef Divers."

Any report on the resort, the diving or the dive operator?

Thanks.

(BTW, this is my 200th post. Only 50 to go!)

Malbec
02-03-2008, 19:48
I used "Eden Rock" when I was there on a cruise ship and enjoyed them a lot!

DiveSooner
02-03-2008, 19:59
Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall is fantastic, you'll enjoy it. LCBR does have some limited activities for non divers, i.e. a day spa, massages and such. I'm sure she can do some exploring and such.

Reef Divers is the house dive operator, they do a great job.

Jay & Vicki are the new managers of the LCBR, they are great, they came from Cayman Brac-Reef Divers. Jay is from Cali, btw.

Have a great time , I'm hoping to beback down later this year.

Thanks.

I've been asked to go on a trip to the Little Cayman Beach Resort in late January next year.

I would be diving, but my wife would be hanging in the resort. The diving is through "Reef Divers."

Thanks.

DiveSooner
02-03-2008, 20:03
Thank you, it is always good to get locals insight.:smiley20:

thought that, as a resdient of the islands, I would nip in an make the first post here to say I am always happy to give people information, pointers (to the extent able) and advice in respect of Grand Cayman. With so many dive sites and operators, it really does pay to pick the right ones.

fisheater
02-03-2008, 21:11
Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall is fantastic, you'll enjoy it. LCBR does have some limited activities for non divers, i.e. a day spa, massages and such. I'm sure she can do some exploring and such.

Reef Divers is the house dive operator, they do a great job.

Jay & Vicki are the new managers of the LCBR, they are great, they came from Cayman Brac-Reef Divers. Jay is from Cali, btw.

Have a great time , I'm hoping to beback down later this year.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I should start "lobbying" for this trip.

DiveSooner
02-03-2008, 22:16
Bloody Bay Wall is one of the best dive sites in our 1/2 of the globe. Tell you wife, that mine had a great time. Very energized when she got home... she dove with me part of the time, read and napped in a hammack on the beach.... sipped fruity drinks.... bare in mind, very little night life.. no shopping on LC... Grand has all that stuff.

Let us know.

fisheater
02-04-2008, 01:40
Sounds good DiveSooner.

My wife's not much into mindless shopping or heavy-duty nightlife anyway. Sounds like a great place to relax, though.

I'll start daydreaming about next year, then.

DLXM Cayman
02-04-2008, 07:55
spot on advice re Little Cayman. Your wife will be able to relax totally. True there are not as many surface distractions as on Grand Cayman but, to be honest, this is no bad thing if you want to chill out as well as dive.

DRNightdiver
02-08-2008, 11:09
Do you know if Ocean Frontiers stills rents tanks for East End shore diving? The last few times that I've visited more and more dive shops are reluctant to rent for shore diving outside of their area (e.g. Sunset). I know Red Sail discontinued tank rentals about 4-5 years back. I've been spending most of my dive money at OF the last few trips (great service).

DLXM Cayman
02-09-2008, 09:11
I am not sure about OF (I am diving there tomorrow so will ask), but I know you can rent from Diver's Supply off seven mile beach. You are right, though, most places don't rent for outside usev

DRNightdiver
02-24-2008, 07:30
FYI - Ocean Frontiers rents tanks for East End shore diving. $15/tank and $10 refills. They only allow tanks and weights to leave their site for shore dives. Rented BCD's and regulators must remain on site.

DLXM Cayman
02-24-2008, 14:35
I was going to find out when I last went but, apologies, I did not ask. They may do so if you are staying with them but unlikely if not as most dive operations won't let their tanks offsite. You can always get tanks fro Diver's Supply in town but not as convenient I imagine. I am back there is a week or so but you could always ask Lesley (her e mail address is obtainable through their website)

ianr33
02-24-2008, 15:19
The ONLY issue I have EVER had with Ocean Frontiers over many years of diving in Cayman was to do with the availability of tanks for Shore Diving (Promised in Email then only allowed 1 tank each which was a pain when staying in Old man Bay)

As my tastes run more to exploring shore dives on my own these days I get my tanks from Divetech and dive the West Bay area instead.

Kind of a shame as my favorite area is the North East coast (Babylon,Anchor Point)

Guess I just dont fit into the OF business model any more.

DLXM Cayman
02-24-2008, 15:32
I think part of the problem lies with someone who is suing one of the dive shops because he showed them a c card and he rented three tanks and gave two of them to uncertified divers (and then sued for them allowing him the tanks....) - think it has got the dive operators a little more cautious than they used to be so they often say one ank per c card

ianr33
02-24-2008, 16:05
I think part of the problem lies with someone who is suing one of the dive shops because he showed them a c card and he rented three tanks and gave two of them to uncertified divers (and then sued for them allowing him the tanks....) - think it has got the dive operators a little more cautious than they used to be so they often say one ank per c card

That may well be so. Sad world we live in.

I wish Cayman was more like Bonaire. Rent a pickup truck,throw a bunch of tanks in the bed and go dive all day long. Now that would be paradise.

DRNightdiver
02-28-2008, 14:08
I was going to find out when I last went but, apologies, I did not ask. They may do so if you are staying with them but unlikely if not as most dive operations won't let their tanks offsite. You can always get tanks fro Diver's Supply in town but not as convenient I imagine. I am back there is a week or so but you could always ask Lesley (her e mail address is obtainable through their website)

No problem. I talked with Lesley last week. That's how I got the info from my last post. It looks like the wind is blowing pretty good (25mph). I hope you were not planning on going out on a boat today (Thurs). 5 ft swells makes for an interesting exit.

rxatrix
11-06-2008, 15:13
It only takes one A.H. to mess it for the rest of us. Personalsy,I think the certified diver renting the tanks than giving them to non certified divers,should be the one being sued,then, screwed, and tatooed with "Bozo" across his forehead.
Of course, on the other hand, this could all be settled "Chicago Style" in my humble opinion. Got a name? :smiley2:

nrembis
11-19-2008, 09:29
I wouldn't mind coming down to do some diving, my mother and stepfather built a radio station down there a few years back and have nothing but good to say about the islands.

teerlkay
11-24-2008, 16:38
I wouldn't mind coming down to do some diving, my mother and stepfather built a radio station down there a few years back and have nothing but good to say about the islands.

what kind of radio station?

nrembis
11-24-2008, 21:24
Actually the radio station was built in the Turks and played christian broadcasting it was called the Atlantic Beacon, they were there prior to the Caymans.

My parents lived in Boddentown on Grand Cayman. My Stepdad was the manager at Marins grocery and my mom worked in a jewelry store in westbay.

coloradopomi
12-31-2008, 10:07
Just got back from Little Cayman on Monday, 12/19/08. Stayed at the Conch Club condos which is part of the Little Cayman Beach Resort group of holdings. Ate at the LCBR but dove with Conch Divers who have their shop at the Conch Club but use the LCBR dock. Was very pleased with Conch Divers but my interaction with the Reef Divers staff was excellent and I did complete my NITROX with them. Very attentive and the folks I met that were diving with them never voiced complaints or concerns.....in fact the only complaint I heard was from a guy who was unhappy they wouldn't let him dive after drinking....go figure. Lots of beach and pool time for reading and relaxing. Bar closes up at about 11:00 PM most nights and is not a loud place. We plan on going back annually for the diving (excellent as indicated above) but most importantly because of the staff and people we met. Couldn't have been happier and my family ranged from myself and my bride at 55/54 and my kids at 24/22. We all enjoyed it and can't wait to return.

keyshunter
01-01-2009, 06:33
The DM's at Reef Divers are quite competent and very strict. They WILL enforce their rules. If they say to be back at the boat in 50 minutes, that is what they mean. If they say no drinking before diving, that is what they mean. If they say do not violate your computer or you will sit out until the computer clears, that is what they mean.

fisheater
01-01-2009, 12:33
Thanks for the reports.

I GO THERE IN THREE WEEKS!!!!

I'm getting more and more excited. I've never dove in water that I couldn't see.