PDA

View Full Version : Storing Camera Housing

TRACI
02-04-2008, 11:24
If I am not going to be using my camera housing for the next few months, How do I need to store it, do I leave it closed or open?

Byte Me
02-04-2008, 13:39
I'm noob to this too - but from what I've read if you're going to store your housing for a while (a while = ?) pull the o-ring, lube it and put it in a ziplock bag.

If you leave it closed in the housing you run risk of it "getting flat".

For what it's worth when my used housing arrived the o-ring was in place and it was stored closed. I've used it 3 times since then w/ no worries.

coral cowgirl
08-09-2008, 01:40
Good tip, I was wondering how to store a housing too. I've opened mine, removed the o-ring and stored both in a large sized ziplock.

"I'm noob to this too - but from what I've read if you're going to store your housing for a while (a while = ?) pull the o-ring, lube it and put it in a ziplock bag."

bubbletrubble
08-09-2008, 02:02
I use the same storage conditions (remove o-ring, lube, store separately in ziploc bag) in-between dives -- whether the next dive will be tomorrow...or 3 months from now. No need to store the housing in a ziploc bag.

rawalker
08-09-2008, 13:04
May I suggest that you store the oring dry. Lubrication is to prevent damage to the oring as the housing closes on it. having it lubed while in storage is just a waste of vaccum grease. All it can do is attract dirt to the oring. To clean the oring use a lint and particle free wipe or cloth. Use grease sparingly when re lubricating. Install the oring with minimal grease in a dust free environment. The grease only lubricates the oring so it can smoothly go into the groove without twisting due to friction. Any extra lube will not help the sealing and will make it more likely to pick up dirt that can cause a seal failure!

CLaFong
09-23-2008, 12:21
My Sony Marine pack, cme with a little rubber stopper. So I would take it, it should not be closed when storing. Doesnt say anything about removing the o-ring though

CompuDude
09-23-2008, 13:49
Removing the o-ring is up to you... there is some debate on that.

There is little debate on the recommendation to NOT store it closed, though.

(a) you want air circulating freely, in case there is a little moisture in there that could turn to mold.

(b) If you do leave the o-ring in place, you don't want to compress (flatten) it permanently.

Bigg_Budd
09-23-2008, 14:41
Don't close it, or you will be SOL. It happened to me, it could happen to you...

scuba007
09-23-2008, 15:12
Make sure you are checking for leakage before using it.