PDA

View Full Version : Coz Car Rental - Upgrade there or here?

Diver Kat
02-04-2008, 16:38
Hey - we got a great deal on a hotel room that pretty much included an Avis car for free - but it's a teeny, tiny one (they list a Chevy Chevy or equivilant) ....

So, has anyone rented a car and upgraded it when they went to pick it up? Will we possibly get a better deal on island? Or is it jacked up, and we'll get a better deal before we go? (Or the 3rd option - no difference??)

Thought maybe someone might have some info from past experience!!

DevilDiver
02-04-2008, 16:49
How much room do you need? I have rented jeeps and scooters on Cozumel and both were fine for what I needed at the time. Depends on how many in the car and what you plan to haul.......

Cabs are reasonable as well.

The island is small and the only reason you need a rental is if you are staying away from town and want to go to eat, shop or you want to knock around on the other side (Mesqalitos or Coconuts).

I have never had issues renting on the island. There are stories of rental companies taking advantage of tourist so keep your eyes open and all should be good.

Diver Kat
02-04-2008, 22:30
No worries DD - this will be our 8th (I think!) trip to Coz in the last few years, so we know are way around some. Just our first where a car was included as part of the deal. DH is 6'4"+ which isn't real conducive to a tiny car, so it's consider an upgrade vs. passing on the car and doing our usual cabs ... I was just wondering if anyone had booked a base level car, then tried to upgrade once on island ... sometimes in the states you can get a better deal on loacation rather than when you book ....

DevilDiver
02-05-2008, 08:57
In that case I would try and have do it before... If nothing else it will get you through the car rental place quicker than listening to the sales pitch there on you vacation.:smiley32:

The jeep would should be resonable and would have plenty of head-room.........

ReefHound
02-05-2008, 09:55
Apparently, no one has an answer to your actual question. My suggestion would be to not depend on an upgrade deal and be prepared to keep what you reserved. It's probably hit or miss, depending on what they have available. I've rented twice and they never tried to upsell me. If you must have a larger car, best to reserve it now.

If they sense you *need* an upgrade you won't get a good deal for sure, so keep the large hubby out of sight.

Diver Kat
02-05-2008, 14:23
Apparently, no one has an answer to your actual question. My suggestion would be to not depend on an upgrade deal and be prepared to keep what you reserved. It's probably hit or miss, depending on what they have available. I've rented twice and they never tried to upsell me. If you must have a larger car, best to reserve it now.

If they sense you *need* an upgrade you won't get a good deal for sure, so keep the large hubby out of sight. LOL! Thanks ReefHound! Although I could use him as an intimidation factor - he does tower over everyone on the island!

And your response was part of what I was looking for - sounds like they haven't caught on to up-selling like they do in the states yet.

I think we may just wing it and see what happens ... Cozumel is always an adventure anyway!:sunsmiley:

islandbum
02-16-2008, 21:29
[quote=Diver Kat;128035]Hey - we got a great deal on a hotel room that pretty much included an Avis car for free - but it's a teeny, tiny one (they list a Chevy Chevy or equivilant) ....

So, has anyone rented a car and upgraded it when they went to pick it up? Will we possibly get a better deal on island? Or is it jacked up, and we'll get a better deal before we go? (Or the 3rd option - no difference??)

You can upgrade at all the car rentals on the island if they have something bigger at the time. My friends were visting us a month ago and rented a dodge atmos really small and We went with them around the isalnd and really all over. We are not small men both over 250 and I am six feet tall we fit just fine. As far as price its the insurance that gets you most of the time. Anyway see you around the island.

Diver Kat
03-13-2008, 15:43
Just an update .... no upgrades available, but easily fit the DH and 4 medium sized suitcases in the Chevy Chevy ... with a bit of room to spare! Drives pretty well too!

mobeeno
05-14-2008, 22:56
How much room do you need? I have rented jeeps and scooters on Cozumel and both were fine for what I needed at the time. Depends on how many in the car and what you plan to haul.......

The island is small and the only reason you need a rental is if you are staying away from town and want to go to eat, shop or you want to knock around on the other side (Mesqalitos or Coconuts).

I have never had issues renting on the island. There are stories of rental companies taking advantage of tourist so keep your eyes open and all should be good.
How far is the airport to town.

DevilDiver
05-15-2008, 06:33

I would consider it as part of the San Pedro. North side, 5-10 min cab ride to most hotels in town.

mobeeno
05-16-2008, 21:11

I would consider it as part of the San Pedro. North side, 5-10 min cab ride to most hotels in town.
Roughly how much does it cost:detective: