PDA

View Full Version : Triathlons

WaterRat
07-28-2007, 22:44
Anyone out there doing triathlons? This is something I would like to work towards. Probably not a full triathlon but one of the sprint events.

I started biking last year recently added swimming. Eventually I will add in the running.

Ron

fire diver
07-28-2007, 23:09
When I was younger, it was always my goal to do a triathlon. Funny how time slips away from you. I also wanted to do the Batan memorial march at WhiteSands. I may still do that one when I get back in a year or 2.

FD

rktman26
07-29-2007, 20:50
I read an article on that bataan memorial march. I'd like to do that sometime as well. That was a very motivating story.
Another one is
www.teamhoyt.com

WaterRat
07-29-2007, 22:22
When I was younger, it was always my goal to do a triathlon. Funny how time slips away from you. I also wanted to do the Batan memorial march at WhiteSands. I may still do that one when I get back in a year or 2.

FD

That looks like a good challenge. I may have to add this to the "to do" list.

Ron

mwhities
07-30-2007, 14:44
I did the http://www.tri4god.com a few years ago. I since then have gainedm ore weight... blaming it on the baby. :P and haven't worked out in quite awhile.

Michael

TAH 73
07-30-2007, 21:19
I did a few Tri's, and a few Biatholon's while in University, and then graduated to the world of Off-road biathalon's, and the one tidbit of advice that I would give is do allot of work on the bike, and get the bike set up properly for tri use (aero bars, disk wheel). Reason being is the bike is that's largest section, and it's really easy to put 1-5 mph on other participants. Putting a mph or 2 in the swim or run is quite a bit tougher.
I was always strongest on the bike and I had instances that I was able to move past a large quantity of riders, and the amount that passed me in the run was a lot less, even though it was my weakest area.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-06-2007, 18:56
All three, running, swimming and biking would proberbly kill me. One at a time maybe but never all three its makes me sleepy just thinking about it.

J-Cub
08-14-2007, 16:35
I would like to do a triathlon. My dad has recently picked it up and he is now in the best shape of his life. Also, I have a friend that is trying to get me to do it, but my excuse is that I don't have a bike. Is there any cheap bikes that can be recommended for triathlons?

Rockhound76
08-14-2007, 16:50
NOTE: This is not a solicitation, but I hope I'm not sounding too pushy:

Try the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program. (Note: I'm a Trustee of the LLS and my 11yr. old son is a leukemia/bone marrow transplant survivor).

My x-country bicycle rides with the Houston Police Bicycle Relay Team are fundraisers for the LLS and are outside of their TNT program, but I've trained enough with their professional coaches to be impressed...even though I admit to being biased. I try to make a few of their training (cycling) rides each year, just to make sure to thank the new athletes for supporting a great cause. My son is also an "honored patient" for these events, btw.

TNT will train anyone (complete newby to experienced) to participate in one of their signature events, providing transportation and lodging for the stay.

The training is free, the coaches are experts, and the trip is paid for by reaching realistic fundraising goals (about 4x the cost of the trip to meet LLS guidelines). Not only do you get the satisfaction of completing a triathlon, a marathon or a century cycling event, you get the satisfaction of saving lives by supporting fundamental research and helping to provide patient services.

Try www.leukemia-lymphoma.org (http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org) for general info...

Try http://www.teamintraining.org/ for a direct link to TNT.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way....but the program is dear to my heart.

Oh, and my 11yr old is already asking when HE can be my dive buddy.....

J-Cub
08-15-2007, 10:22
Sounds like a great cause. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

mwhities
08-15-2007, 10:59
Try the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program. (Note: I'm a Trustee of the LLS and my 11yr. old son is a leukemia/bone marrow transplant survivor).

I'm glad to hear that... truly blessed. My oldest brother of 4 died in 1984 from Leukemia. I cried for three days straight (9 years old).

I'm so happy and proud to hear your son is doing well.

Michael

3rdEye
08-15-2007, 12:05
i've considered doing it, just to challenege myself.....I enjoy biking, but I am not much of a runner, nor do I particularly enjoy distance swimming. Who knows. I might attempt it one day

:bike:

torrey
08-15-2007, 13:23
I read an article on that bataan memorial march. I'd like to do that sometime as well. That was a very motivating story.
Another one is
www.teamhoyt.com

I remember watching a video about the Hoyts on youtube. To be doing triathlons at 65 is a pretty lofty goal for most people alone...but to be doing it pushing, pulling, and towing another grown man is stunning.

J-Cub
08-19-2007, 17:39
I am going to do a mini-triathlon on Labor Day.... It is geared for beginners and family. It is 150m swim, 6 mile bike, and 1 mile run. Since I've never done a triathlon before, I thought this would be a good one to start with and decide whether I want to do more. It should be fun.

Mtrewyn
09-17-2007, 10:21
I want to try to do a tri. the biking will be my week point.

I'll start with a mini one and see what I think.

Don't want to win just finish.

mwhities
09-17-2007, 10:24
I would like to do a triathlon. My dad has recently picked it up and he is now in the best shape of his life. Also, I have a friend that is trying to get me to do it, but my excuse is that I don't have a bike. Is there any cheap bikes that can be recommended for triathlons?

I used my mountain bike. I went the my LBS and had them put slick road tires on. If I'd had a real bike, I could've shaved 10+ minutes off. haha

Michael

NOTE: I accidently hit "Edit" instead of "quote" on your post.. haha Having powers sucks.

ccarter
09-18-2007, 10:19
I'd like to do one but there's no where I can regularly get in a good swimming workout during the winter/fall/spring so that pretty much kills it. I just settle for 6/12 hr races on my mountain bike.. I'm not a big fan of riding on the road for long periods of time anyway.