PDA

View Full Version : Fins For Drysuit

Shellback
02-06-2008, 00:15
Anybody have a good fin for drysuit boots ? My Aqualung rocket fin pockets are too small for the drysuit boots (attached boots on Bare suit). Any recommendations on a fin with pockets that are large enough for the boots ? Prefer to have a fin that is not really stiff, have some old Aqualung Compro fins that are long and pretty stiff and the last time that I went diving with them I got cramps in my feet from them.

texdiveguy
02-06-2008, 00:21
Anybody have a good fin for drysuit boots ? My Aqualung rocket fin pockets are too small for the drysuit boots (attached boots on Bare suit). Any recommendations on a fin with pockets that are large enough for the boots ? Prefer to have a fin that is not really stiff, have some old Aqualung Compro fins that are long and pretty stiff and the last time that I went diving with them I got cramps in my feet from them.

I use XL Mares Quattros with BARE attached moon boots....great general purpose fin.

Shellback
02-06-2008, 00:33

I use XL Mares Quattros with BARE attached moon boots....great general purpose fin.
The boots that they put on the drysuit are XXL and I have a size 11 shoe size so I already have to make up some room in the boot which makes the fin pocket need to be pretty large. Thanks for the info, taking the drysuit class this week so need to try to locate some fins pretty fast and now back to the shop I go. And to think my wallet was getting a break...

CompuDude
02-06-2008, 01:46
Aqualung Rocket fins are about as stiff as it gets, so anything else (other than freediving long fins) is going to feel nice and less stiff by comparison.

Given that, in your situation I would take a look at Jet fins, since you're already used to good stiff paddle fins. Jet fins are not quite as stiff as the Rockets, and come in monster foot pocket sizes. (Hint: Turtles are clones which are size between XL and XXL). OMS SlipStreams are another good option if you prefer lighter fins, as long as they fit you well, but I suspect an XXL SlipStream would be fine.

cummings66
02-06-2008, 13:56
Don't forget the old standby, Turtles. Almost like a Jetfin.

Divingguy
02-06-2008, 14:28
My Tusa Xpert Zooms go on fine over my Pinnacle Evo2 boots, but getting the fins back off the boots after the dive is a $%*@. The boots must get some air pressure in them during the dive. I tried some Apollo's - their pocket seemed wider, but not as tall. I will keep looking.

MSilvia
02-06-2008, 14:53
And to think my wallet was getting a break... No such luck... you're a diver. :)

The boots that they put on the drysuit are XXL and I have a size 11 shoe size so I already have to make up some room in the boot which makes the fin pocket need to be pretty large.
I had the same size vulcanized boots on my Bare ATR-HD drysuit, and my size 12 feet were swimming in them. It not only made it hard to fit any fin but Turtles, but it made my feet too buoyant, so I had to either struggle or use ankle weights.

I had the boots swapped out for neoprene socks that fit, and got a pair of Converse "Chuck Taylor" All-Star sneakers one size larger than I normally wear to go over them. It works like a charm, gives me more flexibility with fin choice, and really helps me maintain good trim while I dive. It might be something to consider if you find yourself having similar troubles, which I unfortunately suspect you might.

SHAGGY
02-16-2008, 16:20
My Twin Jets fit but they are kinda tuff to get back off. I just went with a pair of XXL Slipstreams and they go off an on with ease.

shaggy

Deep Six
02-16-2008, 16:30
I've got the rockboots with my DUI, and they're size 15...(yeah, yeah, i've heard it all "with boots that big, you don't need fins!".....ha...ha...)....and I use the OMS slipstreams in size XXL, they're awesome!

coyote
02-16-2008, 18:22
Here's what I use.

SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Fins (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/fins/es306)

SkuaSeptember
02-16-2008, 19:00
Try the SP Twinjets, they have a good sized foot pocket. The black are slightly stiffer and negatively bouyant.

MicahEW
02-16-2008, 23:34

I was looking at a pair of scubapro twin jet max fins and they have a huge pocket not just in length but in width ant height.

SHAGGY
02-17-2008, 04:21
[/quote]I was looking at a pair of scubapro twin jet max fins and they have a huge pocket not just in length but in width ant height.[/quote]

I'm not sure how accurate my info is, but I have heard that the SP Twin Jets are much better fins than the newer Twin Jet Max fins, and they also rated pretty low on Scuba Diving magazine's fin test, for what thats worth,.LOL They both definately have a large foot pocket, but was just a lil tight for my size 14 boot. If you have anything from a size 12 and under you should be fine, otherwise they will be easy enough to get on but a pain to get off.

shaggy