PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100s?

DivingCRNA
02-06-2008, 17:46
I have a chance to buy 2 Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100s. The stamp shows they are rated to 3500 psi (no +). These tanks are about 10-15 years old. the owner will get them hydro'd and Vis'd for me before purchase.

What do you all know about these? I am wanting to use them cavern diving (maybe cave someday) and for deep tec. Maybe even to work with students all weekend without changing or filling tanks.

He is asking "about $225" a piece, after hydro and vis.

What say you, tank gurus???

cummings66
02-06-2008, 18:09
I have one of those, probably similar age. They're a great tank IMO and the only concern I have if I was to double one up is if it's going to put me head down pretty bad.

I'm looking for another one myself, but I don't want to give as much money as you're willing to give here. That is the ebay price, but I place the value lower. I'd give $100 to $150 myself.

Keep in mind you'll probably need to replace the valves with a genesis valve which is $64, the isolator will run about $85. The Sherwood valves on those tanks were mostly not adaptable. Consider that in your pricing.

Angles for the first stage will be slightly upwards to boot, a non issue in my book but some don't like that.

CompuDude
02-06-2008, 18:16
If those are the tanks I'm thinking of, those are actually older PST tanks that Sherwood resold under their badge for a while. I suspect you'll find the PST stamped on the neck somewhere.

Good tanks with a nice galvanized finish. DIN-only, since they're true HP tanks... no convertible valve or yoke option. And, since they're the older skinny neck style, if you're thinking to use them doubled for tech diving, you're going to have a hard time finding a good manifold for them. I think the Genesis manifold with the horrid angled ports is the only one you can still get.

Edit: And yes, $225 is way too much. Maybe $200, worst case, but I'd hope for a better deal, so more like $150 is reasonable.

DivingCRNA
02-06-2008, 21:05
If those are the tanks I'm thinking of, those are actually older PST tanks that Sherwood resold under their badge for a while. I suspect you'll find the PST stamped on the neck somewhere.

Good tanks with a nice galvanized finish. DIN-only, since they're true HP tanks... no convertible valve or yoke option. And, since they're the older skinny neck style, if you're thinking to use them doubled for tech diving, you're going to have a hard time finding a good manifold for them. I think the Genesis manifold with the horrid angled ports is the only one you can still get.

Edit: And yes, $225 is way too much. Maybe $200, worst case, but I'd hope for a better deal, so more like $150 is reasonable.

The first hydro date is 1993. Will I be able put my 3/4 inch manifold on these two tanks?

cummings66
02-06-2008, 21:30
No. They're the 7/8 inch valves and you need the Genesis stuff I mentioned. The place that starts with Leisure has them.

To be honest I don't have a problem with the angled valves, in fact I'd say they're kinder on the hoses than the straight out valves.

cummings66
02-06-2008, 21:40
Left side DIN valve http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/GNSVDL.html
Right side DIN valve http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/GNSVD.html
Genesis Isolator http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/GNSCBWI.html

The who thing assembled, it's not cheaper by the way.

Manifold http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/GNSVMWIG.html

What I'd do is call ST's and see if they can price match or get them at any rate.

However, you can see that if you pay that much for tanks the value isn't that great at the prices he's asking.

For what it's worth, I gave $75 for mine, then $33 for a hydro, vis, and fill. I think that was a great deal, but $150 for a tank in hydro and vis is a good deal as well. Just be aware that the odds are not with you that you've got the convertable valves.

DivingCRNA
02-06-2008, 21:54
I have one of those, probably similar age. They're a great tank IMO and the only concern I have if I was to double one up is if it's going to put me head down pretty bad.

I'm looking for another one myself, but I don't want to give as much money as you're willing to give here. That is the ebay price, but I place the value lower. I'd give $100 to $150 myself.

Keep in mind you'll probably need to replace the valves with a genesis valve which is $64, the isolator will run about $85. The Sherwood valves on those tanks were mostly not adaptable. Consider that in your pricing.

Angles for the first stage will be slightly upwards to boot, a non issue in my book but some don't like that.

Dang. I wanted to be able to use the 300 bar manifold I already have. I am sick of finding doubles sets that have some special thing about them. I really like "standard" stuff.

Grin
02-07-2008, 09:27
There are 3 available here in Central East coast Florida for about $150 each. HP 120 Genesis if your interested. They were new in the mid 90s. Good deal for someone who wants them. I almost bought them but wanted to keep my tanks wweights soemwhat the same. Those are heavy tanks compared to newer HP120s. The Sherwood site has the specs on them.

WD8CDH
02-07-2008, 09:55
Hrtr are some good prices for HP manifolds:

Northeast Scuba Supply - Online Catalog - Tanks (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/hpmanifold.html)

Personally, I slightly prefer a manifold without an isolator. They have one for $75.

If you want to use them with yoke regulators, the only way I can think of would be to get a HP modular valve and put a 200 bar H valve on the side. Most 200 bar H valves are actually rated for 4500psi.

MSilvia
02-07-2008, 10:26
I have a set of Genesis/Asahi HP100s doubled up, and they are HEAVY. Diving dry in New England, I had to swap my steel plate for aluminium and put some trim weights in my thigh pockets to counter the "head down" effect cummings66 mentioned.

cummings66
02-07-2008, 12:57
That's why I'm not in a hurry to find and double them up, I figured an aluminum plate at the start and then move the weight down. But, it would be lighter and not that bad, I'm not sure 15 lbs less weight would make me happy, 40 lbs less might be fun.

CompuDude
02-07-2008, 13:11
I have a set of Genesis/Asahi HP100s doubled up, and they are HEAVY. Diving dry in New England, I had to swap my steel plate for aluminium and put some trim weights in my thigh pockets to counter the "head down" effect cummings66 mentioned.

YOU know this, of course, but others might not: The Asahi tanks Genesis is distributing nowadays and COMPLETELY different from the PST tanks they used to distribute. Totally different tank, totally different manufacturer. Same sticker. ;) Those suckers are indeed heavy. Cheap, but I don't care for them for longevity reasons.

cummings66
02-07-2008, 20:07
My PST tank, which is an old old one from Genesis doesn't seem to be as heavy as his. I haven't weighed it, but it's comparable to an AL80 if you ask me.

Of course we know it's not the land weight that counts, but Asahi does tend to be more negative than the older PST tanks are. My PST is painted, and I know of many just like it. It's from I think the mid 80's if I recall the hydro date.

Genesis has had a lot of different tank makers, the three that I know of are PST, Norris, and Asahi. I like the PST and Norris tanks.

hoover
02-19-2008, 13:26
And, since they're the older skinny neck style, if you're thinking to use them doubled for tech diving, you're going to have a hard time finding a good manifold for them. I think the Genesis manifold with the horrid angled ports is the only one you can still get.

Thermo makes a 300 bar modular (can use with manifold or without) valve for these older 7/8" tanks. It is a straight DIN (not convertible) valve...not angled like the Genesis ones.

However, due to the fact that 7/8" tanks are no longer in production, Thermo has discontinued the Left (or right, whatever the non standard one is) modular valve as of a month or two ago. They just did their last production run ever. The standard (is it right or left?) modular 300 bar valve for 7/8" and the manifold are NOT discontinued...just the other side.

So if you want one, better call around to XS Scuba (thermo's main distributer in the US) dealers and see if you can snag one before they all disappear.

There is NOT a convertible (yoke/din) option for 7/8" because yoke isn't supposedly is not rated for 3500 psi, the working pressure on the 7/8" tanks.

8082 Series (http://www.thermovalves.com/8082_series.htm)

cummings66
02-19-2008, 13:55
Left/Right depends on the manufacturer. You'd think there's a standard but if there is nobody follows it. Genesis will call the left valve the right one for example, backwards. Others are the opposite.

Who knows, but make sure you ask before you buy because if you assume I guarantee you'll get the wrong one.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 18:21
Hrtr are some good prices for HP manifolds:

Northeast Scuba Supply - Online Catalog - Tanks (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/hpmanifold.html)

Just for the record, they're out of those and they did say Thermo is making them once again, but they cost a lot more than they did.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-12-2008, 13:47
I have a chance to pick up a couple of these (out of hydro) for $50 a piece. Wonder if I should bite...

CompuDude
03-12-2008, 13:54
I have a chance to pick up a couple of these (out of hydro) for $50 a piece. Wonder if I should bite...

Will they give you a refund if they fail hydro? If yes, I'd say go for it.

skdvr
03-12-2008, 14:51

Will they give you a refund if they fail hydro? If yes, I'd say go for it.

I agree... It sounds like a good deal to me.

Phil

WD8CDH
03-12-2008, 15:44
[quote=CompuDude;129098]<snip>
There is NOT a convertible (yoke/din) option for 7/8" because yoke isn't supposedly is not rated for 3500 psi, the working pressure on the 7/8" tanks.

8082 Series (http://www.thermovalves.com/8082_series.htm)

Yes there is, at least for singles. See post #9. You could use a Thermo 8082 modular valve and a Thermo 9020 H valve. DIN only on the main valve but convertable DIN/Yoke on the H valve. The service pressure listed is for the burst disks but the valve bodies will handle at least 4500psi. Quite a few yokes on regulators are rated for 3500psi, even as far back as the early 70's.

FYI. Cousteau used Yokes at 5000psi.

cummings66
03-12-2008, 22:34
When I called them and asked them about valves for the tanks they told me they had none, sold them all out. He said they're making new ones and he could order them but they're higher than all getout.

But I think what Compudude was referring to was a single valve with the removable insert which does not exist for this tank.

IMO I'd buy them in a heartbeat if I knew where these were. Doubled up they're far lighter than the new HP100's, sweet tanks IMO.

03-16-2008, 18:40
I bought the pair. Had someone look inside, they don't look like they need to be tumbled. So 90 bucks a tank (after hydro, vip, and fill) seems like a screaming bargain if they both pass. And a good deal if only one passes.

Edit: they both passed. Yeah!

Black-Gorrilla
03-26-2008, 23:04
i picked my blue sherwood hp100 for 1 dollar, plus 26 for hydro/VIp... 27 BUX!!

03-26-2008, 23:37

And I thought I got a deal... congratulations.

Black-Gorrilla
03-26-2008, 23:42

And I thought I got a deal... congratulations.

garage sale baby!! i heard an air hiss... look to my right, see a blue tank, ask if it's for sale, he says for a buck. still good on hydro (till this month, so currently at hydro) and was just out of VIP
i got a bizarre deal, you got a Good Deal