PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Lost images

ScubaNurse
02-06-2008, 20:24
My daughter and I just returned from our first ocean dive trip and we are hooked. Had only dove in fresh water with poor vis.

We went on a shore dive the first day and she took about 50 pictures with her Sea Life Reef Master Mini. Then the next day we went on a 2 tank boat dive and we did a wall dive and actually hit the 100ft mark, then a shallow wreck dive for #2 dive of the day.

When we got home, we found that the only pictures on her memory card were the last dive (58 pictures). What, how and where did the other 100+ pictures go?

She has a 1 GB Memory card in her camera (manuafactor recommended).

Has anyone else experianced this and what can she do in our future dives to prevent losing images?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

bversteegh
02-06-2008, 21:17
My camera creates a new directory every 100 shots - is it possible there is another directory on the card you didn't download?

Also, I hope your daughter knows you if you format the card in the camera, it erases all the pictures; hopefully she didn't format the card between dives.

Finally, there is recovery software specifically for flash media, often comes resident on the new memory stick (so you need to copy it to your computer before you reformat the card in the camera. I use a program from SanDisk called Rescue Pro, check the web site of whatever brand media you bought, and see if they have something.

wjsdive
02-06-2008, 22:40
Take a look at the instruction Manual for the camera, it may explain where the pics are. bversteegh offers good advice as well. In addition, check the file size of the pics that the camera creates: exactly how many pics will the camera take and hold on a 1 gig card. that should give you some idea if the pics are still there. If they are compressed or in a different directory you should be able to get them back. Barring that look at the camera website for info on recomended Recovery software. It can be expensive but it can sometimes bring back erased pics.

fisheater
02-06-2008, 22:44
Take the card out of the camera and plug it into a card reader. Then, you can use your operating system to check for the file structure.

RoyN
02-06-2008, 22:51
Thats the first I heard. Most if not all the time, I just connect the camera to the USB, clicked upload and get all my pictures, totaling either from 100 to 100+ pictures.