PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dive pregnant??

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 20:48
ok so im not sure if this is even possible but I am 5 months pregnant with my second child and I would like to take a refresher course. Has anyone ever gone diving while pregnant or taken any courses while they were pregnant??

*Whitney*

NitroWill
02-06-2008, 20:50
Check this thread out:

DAN Divers Alert Network : Pregnancy (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=103)

comet24
02-06-2008, 21:03
First does the class require an OW dive? Most refresher courses go through the skills in a pool. No OW dive in necessary. Why are you taking this class? Most poeple take a refresher class because they haven't dived in a while and have an upcoming trip. I would be very hesitant to dive at five months. Well that's if it was possible for me to be pregnant since I am a guy.

Take a look at the link posted above. There might be a reason there is little data. Not many pregnant women diving.

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 21:09
that is interesting. When i brought this up to my doctor she wasnt sure how to address my situation. I might check into it, I didnt think classes or a refresher (in an indoor facility) would be a problem but i might just have to wait. (I hate being still)

*Whitney*

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 21:14
First does the class require an OW dive? Most refresher courses go through the skills in a pool. No OW dive in necessary. Why are you taking this class? Most poeple take a refresher class because they haven't dived in a while and have an upcoming trip. I would be very hesitant to dive at five months. Well that's if it was possible for me to be pregnant since I am a guy.

Take a look at the link posted above. There might be a reason there is little data. Not many pregnant women diving.

Well i had an upcomming dive planned, but then i found out that im pregnant (again) and i am unable to take my little brother diving for graduation. :smiley21: I definatly DO NOT want to go on any OW dives while i am pregnant. I just have a problem sitting still. Dr said i can only run 2 miles a day and im already going nuts!!!!!

fireflock
02-06-2008, 21:23
Sounds like you're already on the right track, but here's more for anyone still wondering:

Doc Vikingo's Diabetes & Diving (http://awoosh.com/DocVikingo/Diving_And_Pregnancy.htm)

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 21:33
That was the same info as the DAN website. oh well ill sleep on it awhile before i decide i guess.

medic001918
02-06-2008, 23:42
My wife and I are trying to get pregnant, and everyone we've talked to says it's a bad idea. From the reading we've done, many sources indicate that they don't even want you diving while trying to conceive due to the fact that there's always the time frame that you don't know you're pregnant.

A large issue is the fact that studies of diving while pregnant is limited. Noone wants to submit their unborn child to that much of an unknown willingly. You don't know how the placenta, and fetal circulation will tolerate the small gas bubbles that we develop by diving. While an adult can pass them and absorb them, an unborn child has tiny vaculature that may or may not be as accomdating.

We've decided not to risk it...and I think it's a smart move. Rather safe than sorry. It was an informed decision based on our reading and that both of us are healthcare providers. She's a labor and delivery nurse, and I'm a paramedic. So we were able to pull an understanding of potential issues out of it all.

Good luck,
Shane

ScubaShuggs
02-06-2008, 23:52
My wife and I are trying to get pregnant, and everyone we've talked to says it's a bad idea. From the reading we've done, many sources indicate that they don't even want you diving while trying to conceive due to the fact that there's always the time frame that you don't know you're pregnant.

A large issue is the fact that studies of diving while pregnant is limited. Noone wants to submit their unborn child to that much of an unknown willingly. You don't know how the placenta, and fetal circulation will tolerate the small gas bubbles that we develop by diving. While an adult can pass them and absorb them, an unborn child has tiny vaculature that may or may not be as accomdating.

We've decided not to risk it...and I think it's a smart move. Rather safe than sorry. It was an informed decision based on our reading and that both of us are healthcare providers. She's a labor and delivery nurse, and I'm a paramedic. So we were able to pull an understanding of potential issues out of it all.

Good luck,
Shane

That is a really good point... so let me ask you... If im in a pool taking refresher courses is my body going to compress? I didnt think i could go down far enough in the pool to hurt the baby, but then again this is why im asking :smiley29: its late im tired!!!

medic001918
02-07-2008, 00:58
Yup, it's going to compress. Actually the first 30 feet is probably the worst increase since you go from 1 ATA to 2 ATA. After that, the actual percentage of increase decreases quite a bit.

I can't say if it would be enough to be harmful or not...but I wouldn't take the chance with an unborn baby. The fact that there are no conclusive studies speaks volumes. The medical field will study just about anything that people are willing to let be studied, but finding people willing to risk their unborn children makes it very much a wildcard. While I'm sure that people have been diving while pregnant, I don't think it's a safe idea. And as we continue to try...Kristen won't even be in the pool with me. So far, she can get in since we know she's not pregnant yet. But each month after trying, she's done for a few weeks until we know what's going on with her.

Shane

ScubaShuggs
02-07-2008, 05:19
:smiley13: hmmmm.... well so much for refreshers... please excuse me while i go beat the fertile fiance in his sleep :smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

*Whitney*

Crimediver
02-07-2008, 18:30
Another question comes to my mind: Did anybody get pregnant while scuba diving ?

ScubaShuggs
02-07-2008, 18:52
Another question comes to my mind: Did anybody get pregnant while scuba diving ?

now I know for a fact that this is not healty for us women!!!

*Whitney*

DollFin
02-10-2008, 01:20

That would be the PADI "Underwater Fertilization" certifcation course.

scubasavvy
02-10-2008, 12:39

That would be the PADI "Underwater Fertilization" certifcation course.

:smilie39:

pyre24
02-10-2008, 19:48
Im not a woman but if I was, I think I would just go snorkeling. I wouldnt want to risk it. Unless they came out with concrete proof it doesnt harm the unborn child. But I would still stay close to the surface. But thats just me.

Jellybeandiver
02-27-2008, 16:44
My doctor has told me that as soon as I become pregnant I need to stop diving. This sucks because I work in a dive shop, so work is diving and live is diving

rye_a
02-27-2008, 18:28
My Wife and I are big skiiers and she is pregnant. We looked into whether or not she can ski and learned that the three most prohibihited sports for pregnant women are: skiing, horseback riding and diving. Of course this is from the sports that one might even consider while pregnant and doesn't take skydiving, bungee jumping, etc. into account.

rye_a
02-27-2008, 18:30
Im not a woman but if I was, I think I would just go snorkeling. I wouldnt want to risk it. Unless they came out with concrete proof it doesnt harm the unborn child. But I would still stay close to the surface. But thats just me.

Our doctor told us that even snorkeling, a pregnent woman should not dive to the bottom where she will exert additional pressure on her baby.

ScubaJW
02-27-2008, 22:45
How about go snorkeling, instead of diving while you are pregnant? It's better than nothing, though!

CompuDude
02-27-2008, 23:04
I'm no doctor.

But as long as you're not hanging out at the bottom of the deep end, I fail to see how swimming in a pool could hurt a baby. Spending lots of time at the bottom of an especially deep pool, ok, avoid that, but wouldn't think swimming normally would be an issue, nor would even swimming down to the bottom of your average 8' deep pool.

Aquatic exercise is popular with pregnant women in some gyms, because it takes the weight off their feet.

Everything in moderation... but I don't see how a refresher in a swimming pool could have that much effect on an early fetus. I'm sure there are doctors out there who would agree, but might not say so, in today's litigious world.

divingyogini
02-28-2008, 11:17
I began a dive master class and ordered a new BC, only to find out two weeks later I was pregnant. I thought I could get through the pool work, but the whole time I was distracted with thoughts of whether or not it was good for the baby, even though we were only at 10 feet in the pool. My brain was split in half between focusing on the skills and worrying about the baby. (Yes, part of it was the paranoia that set in after reading one too many fear-mongering pregnancy books.)

During a buddy breathing/gear exchange drill I aspirated some water and freaked, not worried about myself, but thinking about what I was doing to this helpless little creature inside of me. Instead of solving my problem underwater, like I was trained to do and was always very good about doing, I ascended.

It didn't help that my husband was the instructor either because he had the same challenge. After I surfaced and stopped coughing my husband's first words were literally "I can't teach you, I'm too worried about you and the baby". So I finished up the classroom work and will finish the rest after the baby is born and I get some refresher dives in.

Moral of the story: your brain functions differently when you are pregnant (no you're not crazy, just hyper aware of safety) and that alone tells me it's not the best idea to dive while pregnant.

On another note, I'm an avid swimmer and swimming 3 - 4 days a week has been a godsend to me during pregnancy. During trimester 1 is was nearly the only time I didn't feel nauseous and now as I enter trimester 3 it's the only time my body feels buoyant. My doctor highly advocated swimming during pregnancy and even said hot tubs were great after month 3 when the neural tubes close up.

obrules15
03-02-2008, 19:47
I am an obstetrician and an avid diver, I just don't think it is worth the risk. If something goes wrong, you will blame yourself for the rest of your life, even if it wasn't the diving.