PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite dive??

picxie
07-29-2007, 01:59
Where was your favourite dive and why?

Mine was at White Island (Spanish Arch) earlier this year.

http://www.divewhite.co.nz/

Went away for a 2 day dive trip and the first day was awful due to sea sickness. I nearly cancelled the second day as I just could stomach another day like the first. I'm so glad I didn't. The diving was fantastic, so much to see. It wasn't deep (only 13m) so we got a lovely long dive in. The fish life was just incredible. Apparantly they'd been acting a bit strange recently (after some earthquakes) and fish that were usually quite shy were being quite inquisitive etc. Spanish Arch is called that because there is an underwater archway, and you can sit there and look out at the sunlight shining down, with schools of fish swimming around. It was just incredible and very picturesque (sp?). Like something you'd see on the front of a dive mag. I can't wait to go back.

cummings66
07-29-2007, 07:50
To date mine was at Beaver Lake. We had 30 feet of visibility and the rock formations near this one bluff were very nice. It went down to at least 100 feet, had some good overhangs and other structure to it.

For a freshwater dive it was incredible.

kevinj1
07-29-2007, 21:53
Mine is the Sea Emperor in Deerfield Beach, FL.
Best marine life at about 65feet.

Moxie
07-29-2007, 23:15
That's tough to answer. They all have offered something different, but enjoyable. I really like a wall dive off the north shore of Vancouver.

Krakenn
07-30-2007, 06:35
Manta Ray Feeding Station at Ningaloo Marine Park in Western Australia.

Krakenn

Centerius
07-30-2007, 08:24
So far out of my four dives, my dive to the Black Bart in Panama City was the best. Lots of marine life (saw a barracuda), and traversing the ship is pretty cool.

TxHockeyGuy
07-30-2007, 09:56
First blue water dive at Grand Cayman and seeing a huge manta ray. I had dove nothing but lakes up until that point. Interestingly enough the great vis caused me problems. I have a fear of heights and it never occurred to me that you'd be able to see 100' down, yikes.

Vercingetorix
07-30-2007, 11:38
Interestingly enough the great vis caused me problems. I have a fear of heights and it never occurred to me that you'd be able to see 100' down, yikes.
David,

You owe me a new keyboard. I read that and laughed so hard I spewed coffee on my keyboard. It was your "yikes" comment what did it.

Vercingetorix
07-30-2007, 11:40
My favorite dive will be in three weeks at the Texas Flower Gardens. First blue water dive outside the safe confines of a harbour.

PlatypusMan
07-30-2007, 12:32
The NEXT one.

Foo2
07-30-2007, 13:04
So far...Palancar Gardens in Cozumel. It was absolutely beautiful.

unclepooty
07-30-2007, 14:44
My favorite so far has to be Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel. DM lead us through deep swim through, and exit felt as if jumping from a cliff with out the falling part. The current did the rest. Black tip shark and free swimming green moray topped the list of sightings.

bon diva
07-30-2007, 21:24
I've heard there are some great dives in Vancouver... I haven't experienced it, but my SO has. He's dove Snake Island and the Saskatuan and Hornby Island (with the Stellar sea lions). One of these days perhaps he'll share it with me!

That's tough to answer. They all have offered something different, but enjoyable. I really like a wall dive off the north shore of Vancouver.

WaterRat
07-30-2007, 22:45
One of my favorites is when we dropped in on the Bud Bar off the coast of florida. The wreck sits at 95' to the sand and as soon as I dropped below the surface I could see the whole wreck like it was 10 feet in front of me. The viz that day must have been 150+. One of those moments that makes you glad that your a diver.

Ron

picxie
07-31-2007, 04:18
One of my favorites is when we dropped in on the Bud Bar off the coast of florida. The wreck sits at 95' to the sand and as soon as I dropped below the surface I could see the whole wreck like it was 10 feet in front of me. The viz that day must have been 150+. One of those moments that makes you glad that your a diver.

Ron

Wow, that would have been incredible. I wonder if you got a good day or if the vis is always like that.

bubbles
07-31-2007, 07:55
Without doubt, it was Darwin in the Galapagos, though many of the other dive sites are a close second. Somehow seeing row upon row, stack upon stack of hammerheads makes one....suck down that tank of air and wish for a rebreather. So amazing. The schooling salemas were just as fun though with the sea lions darting in and out of them. The Galapagos trip was breathtaking and I'm not sure any other trip will live up to it...but I'm sure gonna try! Sad to hear of the most recent restrictions on dive ops there.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 08:29
My first ocean water dive in the Bahamas, lots of life, great viz. It was a wall dive to about 80ft.

JGrimm
07-31-2007, 08:42
Oh. Man. Tough question - my own experiences are fairly numerous, but mostly in the gulf (and no, before you ask, I haven't yet had the opportunity to drop on the Oriskany, though it's coming. Soon. :) )

Probably, though, to date, I'd say my favorite dive was at a relatively shallow and common dive site out here called the Three Coal Barges. When Frederick was moving into the area, barges were moved off of the intercoastal waterway and up the coast directly to the ports at Mobile. Three of them collided near the Bon Secour Bay and sank in about forty feet of water.

Divers recovered the coal, but left the barges down there.

We were lucky enough to do a dive series on the site, very early on. It's where I first dove in my own gear, and represents the first place I've seen a healthy gulf reef, a couple of octopi, and even managed to catch the bioluminescent shellfish (they're about pea-sized) spawning up from the floor in a flickering lightshow like nothing I've seen since.

I would call this the dive site that, above all others, got me hooked - and I've not even been lucky enough to see the 100' vis of a place like Bonaire or even Key Largo.

*Grins*

Still too new.

BUt! In time. In time.

Grimm

ertechsg
07-31-2007, 09:10
Santa Rosa wall cozumel. Gliding along the wall looking down and not able to see bottom:smiley20:

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 09:20

Ron

Wow, that would have been incredible. I wonder if you got a good day or if the vis is always like that.

It was a great day but we often had 50'+ viz off the coast of Southeast FL. It's usually pretty clear there. I lived in Boynton Beach for 2 years and can't wait to move back.

Ron

deepdiver47
08-01-2007, 13:30
This one is easy and I can't believe that someone hasn't mentioned it before, Blue Corner in Palau.

It is has a mix of a challenged dive due to heavy currents (see reef hook), 80ft vis, large pelagics (sharks, wasses). It
is just awesome. What a ride!