PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Tablerock lake

skdvr
02-07-2008, 19:08
I am thinking about hitting Tablerock lake either the weekend of 3/8 - 3/9 or 3/15 - 3/16. Would that interest anyone??? I am not sure which of those weekends I will be off just yet. I will not know for sure until about the middle of next week. Anyone else want to get in at Tablerock??

Phil

cummings66
02-07-2008, 19:58
I'll dive with you if I'm off then. The 15th and 16th are my days off.

skdvr
02-07-2008, 20:02
That is actually the weekend that I would prefet to go down because I will just be coming back from San Antonio the weekend before. The only problem is that I may have to work that weekend. I will let you know for sure as soon as I find out if I am working on the weekend of the 15th and 16th.

Phil

hudson
02-08-2008, 01:21
I might be out of town, but if not I'd love to join you guys. I'll know in a week or two.

skdvr
02-09-2008, 06:32
I might be out of town, but if not I'd love to join you guys. I'll know in a week or two.

You would be more than welcome....

Phil

coyote
02-09-2008, 07:54
Just wondering - What part of table rock are you planning to dive? Anything close by that I use as a search reference?

skdvr
02-09-2008, 09:11
Around the area of the Dam. That end of the lake. If you have Google Earth check out the attachment... Depending on how many people we have we may be able to get out on my boat. Or if we have more people maybe someone else will have a boat and we can take two or three out. There are several sites that are close to that area of the lake. The only problem will be air fills, because I do not think that the State Park Marina will have their scuba shop open that time of year. So we would have to go into Branson to Scuba Sports to get air.

Phil

cummings66
02-09-2008, 17:01
By the back route Scuba Sports is about 15 to 20 minutes away, it's a good way to do a SI, there's a steak and shake on the way too.

skdvr
02-09-2008, 22:06
By the back route Scuba Sports is about 15 to 20 minutes away, it's a good way to do a SI, there's a steak and shake on the way too.

Yeah if we are shore diving from Dewey Short the trip to Scuba Sports is not bad at all. It would only be if we were on a boat that it would be a little promlematic. Great Shop and I love going in there, everyone in that place is awesome!!!!

Phil

cummings66
02-10-2008, 09:25
Can you tie up to the place just to the left of the Dewey Short area, I've never been over there on the surface but it looks like boats might tie up there.

skdvr
02-10-2008, 16:10
Can you tie up to the place just to the left of the Dewey Short area, I've never been over there on the surface but it looks like boats might tie up there.

That I am not sure of. I do not think so though. I remember a sign of some sort being there, and for some reason I am thinking that it said something about not docking there. Not 100% sure though.

Phil

hudson
02-12-2008, 17:56
Nope, I'm gonna miss this one.. hopefully next time.

skdvr
02-12-2008, 20:01
Nope, I'm gonna miss this one.. hopefully next time.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe Next Time.

I should find out tomorrow if I have to work on the 15th or not. I am really hoping not so that we can do it that weekend.

Phil

DrRobb
02-13-2008, 07:35
I'm up for a Table Rock trip on the 15th. Ya'll got room?

skdvr
02-13-2008, 08:46
I'm up for a Table Rock trip on the 15th. Ya'll got room?

There is always room... I am not 100% sure yet that I am going down there on the 15th though. It could be the weekend of the 8th. I will find out today for sure, and I will post it as soon as I find out. My preference is for the 15th.

Phil

skdvr
02-13-2008, 10:20
OK, I am good for the 15th, so right now it looks like it could be

skdvr
cummings66
drrobb

If anyone else wants to go come on...

Phil

b1gcountry
02-13-2008, 10:28
I have my DM Mapping exercise tentatively scheduled for that Saturday at MLM, but my instructor has not been returning my emails about it, so I am not sure what is going on. Since I have that weekend scheduled to dive anyway, I can come if the mapping project falls through.

Tom

skdvr
02-13-2008, 11:33
I have my DM Mapping exercise tentatively scheduled for that Saturday at MLM, but my instructor has not been returning my emails about it, so I am not sure what is going on. Since I have that weekend scheduled to dive anyway, I can come if the mapping project falls through.

Tom

Damn I knew about that too and forgot all about it....

Phil

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 14:12

That I am not sure of. I do not think so though. I remember a sign of some sort being there, and for some reason I am thinking that it said something about not docking there. Not 100% sure though.

Phil

There is a small dock right there, but it's not for any long term use. Honestly, your best bet for the Dam area is shore diving anyway. Parking is pretty close. I'd leave the boat at home.
The hubby and I would love to join you guys, but the water is a bit chilly for us! Now, if you need some SI company, or someone to go get tank fills, snacks, etc, we'd be happy to help out. We could even bring along some tanks if you need. If we aren't diving, we could even bring the kiddos so they could play around on the shore.

skdvr
02-13-2008, 14:16

Phil

There is a small dock right there, but it's not for any long term use. Honestly, your best bet for the Dam area is shore diving anyway. Parking is pretty close. I'd leave the boat at home.
The hubby and I would love to join you guys, but the water is a bit chilly for us! Now, if you need some SI company, or someone to go get tank fills, snacks, etc, we'd be happy to help out. We could even bring along some tanks if you need. If we aren't diving, we could even bring the kiddos so they could play around on the shore.

Thanks for the info.... I did not think that you could park at the dock for a long period of time, but I could not remember for sure. I will certainly let you know where we will be diving and if you want to come out for a meet and great that would be cool... I am always interested in meeting the friendly folks from the board.

Phil

snagel
02-13-2008, 17:14
I've got it penciled in on my calendar. Is this just the Saturday (15th) or is anybody staying over for Sunday?

Any idea of time for meeting?

With everything going on, I can't make a total committment yet, but the weekend is open and it's on the calander. If something changes, I'll post.

S. Nagel

skdvr
02-13-2008, 20:04
I plan on doing at least one dive on Sun and maybe two depending on what everyone is feeling like. No idea on meeting time just yet, have not gotten that far yet. I guess now that we have the date nailed down we can open that up. What time would you want to meet up on Sat? I am an early person so I can be ready anytime in the morning. What time works for you?

Phil

cummings66
02-14-2008, 07:15
I would think 9 is a good time, it gives people a chance to get food and gear ready. I have a 5 hour drive so I usually drive down the night before and it's late when I get in, so I tend to sleep a bit later the first day.

Normally Sunday is the day I dive until about noon, then it's time to pack up and head North.

skdvr
02-14-2008, 07:41
9am sounds good to me for Sat. It is about the same drive for me too... I too will head down on Fri after work.

Do you want to meet up at Dewey Short?

Do you have any idea of what the water temp may be. I have a friend that is thinking about going but he would have to dive wet.

So it look like we have.

Skdvr
Cummings66
Snagel (maybe)
B1gCountry (maybe)
DrRobb

Did I miss anyone???

Phil

skdvr
02-14-2008, 10:27
snagel, thanks for putting this in the calendar. I just went in there to do it myself and noticed you already have it covered...

Phil

cummings66
02-14-2008, 12:07
I'll go out on a limb and say maybe 42 - 45 degree's. I doubt it's colder than that. A good 7mm would work for one dive, maybe two. I know if they could put a skin under it they may be able to do even better.

If I can arrange it I'll stay at the Table Rock Inn, it's not bad and is within a mile or so of the spot, in fact they kind of are known as a diving motel.

WAHMof2
02-14-2008, 16:56
I'll go out on a limb and say maybe 42 - 45 degree's. I doubt it's colder than that. A good 7mm would work for one dive, maybe two. I know if they could put a skin under it they may be able to do even better.

If I can arrange it I'll stay at the Table Rock Inn, it's not bad and is within a mile or so of the spot, in fact they kind of are known as a diving motel.

You're pretty much on target as far as temps. Today the report said the main lake was 42-44 degrees, and the river arms were at 38 to 40. It's usually a little cooler right at the dam, so it would be safe to bet on about 40-42.

fire diver
02-14-2008, 17:03
If you have a boat, you might call Indian Point Scuba. It's at the Indian Point marina, and has a compressor on site. There is also a restaurant there, so you could get a bite while you wait for your tanks. Of course this is all hinged on the supposition that they are open that early in the year.

FD

skdvr
02-14-2008, 17:10
If you have a boat, you might call Indian Point Scuba. It's at the Indian Point marina, and has a compressor on site. There is also a restaurant there, so you could get a bite while you wait for your tanks. Of course this is all hinged on the supposition that they are open that early in the year.

FD

I am not sure about the boat yet. It will depend on how many people are there, if we can get air, and the boat stays at Tablerock and normally in the summer time I do not have to worry about covering it because people are down there most of the time. This time of year I would want to make sure I could cover the boat and I do not think that the inside of the boat would dryout before I was wanting to leave on Sun. We will figure that out as we get closer though... It would be worth a call up there, but I know that last year in March I was diving and got all the way down to the lake before I realized that I left my reg at the house, and I went to the state park marina and they were closed, and the guy from the shop that I talked to on the phone told me that time of year the only shop that is open is Scuba Sports. I would not mind going up to Indian point and diving the Zebulon Pike if we can get there from shore. I am not sure if we can or not? Does anyone know if you can get to the Zeb from shore?

Phil

Phil

snagel
02-14-2008, 18:25
It's right on the tip of a cove and I kinda remember there was either a boat launch or a marina in the cove. But, it would be fairly long surface swim. We actually tied the boat up along the shore when we dove it. Not sure if you can get to the that spot from inland.

S. Nagel

WAHMof2
02-14-2008, 21:45
Although we've not done the dive at Indian Point down to the boat (Zebulon Pike), there is supposedly a line at about 15 ft. that leads all the way to the boat (in 80 or 90 ft). They say it's easily accessible from the shore. Why don't you just call Louis or Monty and find out the specifics? 417-334-9073

fire diver
02-14-2008, 21:48
No, the Zeb is a boat only dive. You have one heck of a surface swim from the nearest accessible shoreline. The Zeb is located by finding the 20oz soda bottle tied off to a stump. You swim down to that stump, then follow a guideline out to the wreck. All this is on the upper, right side of Indian point.

There is a marina close by, but they stopped doing air fills last year. Indian point scuba is around the point, on the left side (as you look at the map that is...)

FD

skdvr
02-15-2008, 04:40
I have dove the Zeb before (although by boat) and I am pretty sure the the stump is not that far from shore. I just do not know how easy it would be to get to the shore.

Last year when I was down there we were diving on the Cabin Cruiser that is by the island just off of Indian Point and as we were leaving we saw 2 divers surface swimming on the other side of the island so we pulled up near them and asked if they were looking for the cabin cruiser and we got a very frustrated (YES, and I have no idea where it is). I gave them a heading to take from where they were to be able to swim to it on the other side of the island, and then asked how they got out there. They had done a surface swim from the point to the island which is about a 300 yard swim in the middle of summer with boats all over the place. I thought that they were crazy.

I have attached the placemark for the Zeb in google earth...

Phil

WAHMof2
02-15-2008, 09:34
Supposedly, the stump where the line is tied off is only in 15 ft of water, so I couldn't see it being very far from shore. We've done a lot of swimming in that area, and the shore slopes off pretty quickly from what I remember. Now, if you have to follow the line out 300 yds to the boat, I can surely see that it would be a lot easier to dive it from a boat.

skdvr
02-15-2008, 12:26
Supposedly, the stump where the line is tied off is only in 15 ft of water, so I couldn't see it being very far from shore. We've done a lot of swimming in that area, and the shore slopes off pretty quickly from what I remember. Now, if you have to follow the line out 300 yds to the boat, I can surely see that it would be a lot easier to dive it from a boat.

So is there plenty of shore there to get geared up and do a shore dive there?

That would kind of a fun dive to do.

Phil

mm2002
02-16-2008, 13:13
My wife told me you guys were thinking about doing this, and I've been curious about it also. This dive is probably a little advanced for us right now, but I want to do it later this summer when we get a little more experience, and AOW.

I drove out there today, and yes it should be easily accessible from shore. I took a couple of quick pics just to give you the general idea of the lay of the land. Reference pics A & B as being where I was parked, looking down the shoreline. I was just guessing on the distance, but it's a lot closer from parking area A, probably a 200 - 250 foot hike. The red box is the approximate location of the boat. There's plenty of parking at either location, and to drive from one location to the other it's under 1/10th of a mile. Right now the shoreline is plenty clear enough to transport gear, and plenty of room for gearing up, etc. According to the google earth image, the stump where the bottles are tied off couldn't be more than 40 ft or so from shore (again, just guessing), but I didn't see any orange buoy markers like some have said. Hopefully this helps put it in perspective.

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zebulonpike/pic1.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zebulonpike/pic2.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zebulonpike/pic3.jpg

snagel
02-16-2008, 17:03
Thanks for the pics. Last summer there was just a regualar soda bottle like a Mt. Dew plastic 16oz bottle tied to the stump. We tied our boat up against the shore and swam out to the stump. I'm thinking maybe 40 feet or so from shore. If I remember right, the shore near the stump was fairly dense with shrubs and really no area to stand on shore.

S. Nagel

texdiveguy
02-16-2008, 17:38

Any contact web site or info. you might provide on this motel??

mm2002
02-16-2008, 17:43
Thanks for the pics. Last summer there was just a regualar soda bottle like a Mt. Dew plastic 16oz bottle tied to the stump. We tied our boat up against the shore and swam out to the stump. I'm thinking maybe 40 feet or so from shore. If I remember right, the shore near the stump was fairly dense with shrubs and really no area to stand on shore.

S. Nagel

That whole point is heavily wooded, but right now the water is down a bit, so there's plenty of shore. Not a bunch, but plenty. What you see in the pics pretty much goes all the way around the point. Whether that's going to change much over the next three or four weeks depends, of course, on how much rain we get and how much they open the dam. I really don't think it'll change much.

mm2002
02-16-2008, 17:44

Any contact web site or info. you might provide on this motel??

Tablerock Inn 417-334-4965

skdvr
02-16-2008, 20:25
Thanks for taking the time to run over there and for the pics... That is awesome!!!

The dive its self is not that advanced aside from being deep. It is a pretty big boat and just kind of neat to swim around the outside and up on the top deck (no overhead) I know people that will penetrate it but not this guy. At the back of the boat there is a flight of stair that goes up to the top deck and I will swim up the stairs, and I have swam down a walkway which is pretty much all open on one side. All of that was with a guy who has been all through that boat. It is really kind of creapy to look at because it just kind of appears out of the murk. Neat dive and I am always up for it. Last summer when we dove it I believe that the front of the boat at the bottom was in about 95 feet of water. I do not think we broke 100' but I cannot remember for sure.

Phil

WAHMof2
02-16-2008, 21:28
Thanks for taking the time to run over there and for the pics... That is awesome!!!

The dive its self is not that advanced aside from being deep. It is a pretty big boat and just kind of neat to swim around the outside and up on the top deck (no overhead) I know people that will penetrate it but not this guy. At the back of the boat there is a flight of stair that goes up to the top deck and I will swim up the stairs, and I have swam down a walkway which is pretty much all open on one side. All of that was with a guy who has been all through that boat. It is really kind of creapy to look at because it just kind of appears out of the murk. Neat dive and I am always up for it. Last summer when we dove it I believe that the front of the boat at the bottom was in about 95 feet of water. I do not think we broke 100' but I cannot remember for sure.

Phil

I didn't even know he went out there today, but evidentially the kids had a good time too in spite of the crappy weather and rain! It does seem to be one of the better dives on Tablerock, but 100 still seems a little deep for us. Your description makes it sound really cool though! I know it's probably a lot like skydiving...the higher you jump the higher you want to go. I remember the first time we went to 16K out of the Otter....man that was a rush! That's OK, we're going to take our time and gain a little more experience.

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 21:48
Of all the years I go to tablerock lack I never thought of people diving in it. I usually just go down and boat, ski, and fish. I might look into diving next time I go down. However that would be summer when its not cold. I don't like cold water.

WAHMof2
02-16-2008, 22:01
Of all the years I go to tablerock lack I never thought of people diving in it. I usually just go down and boat, ski, and fish. I might look into diving next time I go down. However that would be summer when its not cold. I don't like cold water.

I don't dig the cold either so if you come down in the summer look us up!:smiley2:

cummings66
02-16-2008, 22:15
I've dove the Zeb several times, never broke 100 feet on it, been as shallow as 80 feet and as deep as 95 feet. However, it is an interesting site and you just can't really see it from end to end, or even top to bottom most of the time. Vis is normally not that great.

Generally the tree that this bottle is tied to allows you to do the safety stop at the bottom of it, 15 to 20 feet deep most of the time, then up the stump we go.

To be frank, I don't think it'd be a good dive from the shore due to the walk, rocks, and vegatation. It really needs a boat to be appreciated, IMO at any rate.

cummings66
02-16-2008, 22:18
Additional info about Table Rock Inn, they have a pretty nice pool out back, go out your door with some charcoal and you can toss them on the grill and have a nice BBQ as well.

Rates normally are very reasonable and they have the diner where you just wake up and eat next door. Do not order a full stack of pancakes unless you can eat for 4. They cover a LARGE plate almost completely. I'll order half a stack for my wife and myself, sometimes my daughter eats it with us.

skdvr
02-16-2008, 22:36

Phil

I didn't even know he went out there today, but evidentially the kids had a good time too in spite of the crappy weather and rain! It does seem to be one of the better dives on Tablerock, but 100 still seems a little deep for us. Your description makes it sound really cool though! I know it's probably a lot like skydiving...the higher you jump the higher you want to go. I remember the first time we went to 16K out of the Otter....man that was a rush! That's OK, we're going to take our time and gain a little more experience.

Why do you have to mention jumping. I have not jumped in about 6.5 years and I am ready to go again!!! Although my wife would kill me with another expensive hobby. If I remember correctly you guys said that you jumped at Quantum Leap? I jumped out there once and really liked the place except for a few crazy rules that would not let me jump my own rig. I had to rent one from them to jump, and since I was not jumping my own rig I crashed the first landing and felt quite silly.

Anyway that was a little off topic.

I have one of my buddies that is going to be joining us that weekend. He is a member of this board (Kider) whom hopefully will respond soon. He will be diving wet so he is praying for at least a warm weather day.

This should be a good time and I am really looking forward to it.

Phil

snagel
02-17-2008, 06:27
Skdvr:

All this talk about the Zeb brings back some thoughts about the history of the boat. About a year ago, (on the other forum) you posted some information on the history. Do you still have it and could you repost it in a new thread here? It all got lost when the other forum crashed. Basically, what I remember is there was some debate over it actually being the Zebulin Pike. Some said the Zeb was actually docked in a local marina. I think some of the information you had, referred to the ferry that was in the bottom of the lake as "The General".

I'm trying to get a picture of the boat from back in the day. A lady that works with me says she has a picture taken of her when she was a little girl next to the ferry. She remembers riding on the ferry and had a picture taken of her under the name of the boat. I've tried to describe the boat to her from my dives. Some of it she remembers, but some she doesn't so I'm not sure if it is the same boat or not. From my dives, I remember a chain linked fence on top of the boat which is falling down (actually, I was very afraid of it being an entanglement hazard). She doesn't remember any fence on the top deck, but this could have been added later during an attempt to upgrade it.

Stories I have heard is that the boat was intentially sunk near Indian Point by the Corps of Engineers. Another story I've heard is that it was tied up on the other side of the lake and broke loose in a storm and eventually sunk at its present resting spot. I've also heard that at one time it was used on the Mississippi River and later tansported to Table Rock. I've heard that it was actually one of two ferry's used on the lake at one time way before the Branson Bell.

Anyway, I think it would be an interesting thread if we could get it going again.

S. Nagel

skdvr
02-17-2008, 06:46
Skdvr:

All this talk about the Zeb brings back some thoughts about the history of the boat. About a year ago, (on the other forum) you posted some information on the history. Do you still have it and could you repost it in a new thread here? It all got lost when the other forum crashed. Basically, what I remember is there was some debate over it actually being the Zebulin Pike. Some said the Zeb was actually docked in a local marina. I think some of the information you had, referred to the ferry that was in the bottom of the lake as "The General".

I'm trying to get a picture of the boat from back in the day. A lady that works with me says she has a picture taken of her when she was a little girl next to the ferry. She remembers riding on the ferry and had a picture taken of her under the name of the boat. I've tried to describe the boat to her from my dives. Some of it she remembers, but some she doesn't so I'm not sure if it is the same boat or not. From my dives, I remember a chain linked fence on top of the boat which is falling down (actually, I was very afraid of it being an entanglement hazard). She doesn't remember any fence on the top deck, but this could have been added later during an attempt to upgrade it.

Stories I have heard is that the boat was intentially sunk near Indian Point by the Corps of Engineers. Another story I've heard is that it was tied up on the other side of the lake and broke loose in a storm and eventually sunk at its present resting spot. I've also heard that at one time it was used on the Mississippi River and later tansported to Table Rock. I've heard that it was actually one of two ferry's used on the lake at one time way before the Branson Bell.

Anyway, I think it would be an interesting thread if we could get it going again.

S. Nagel

I was invooved in that conversation but more so just as an interested party. Cummings66, Nemrod and one or two other people had all the good research and info about it. I just remember that what we call the Zebulon Pike is actually not the name of that particular boat. Someone called it that by mistake and the name has stuck. I believe that the actual Zeb is closer to the Arkansas side of the lake, (I was thinking around Cricket Creek) but I cannot remember exactly, or if the zeb is sitting on the bottom at all?

I was just thinking about that conversation when this one started...

Hopefully Cummings66 will have some info for us...

Phil

snagel
02-17-2008, 06:57
Thanks Phil,

Yea, now that I think about it Nemrod did have a lot of the information. Hopefully, he'll chime in and maybe bring it back up.

Let me see if I can get this going again.

S. Nagel

cummings66
02-17-2008, 07:41
Yes, Cricket Creek is where it was tied up, I think somebody said they didn't see it there when they looked. I know it was not very pretty and looked pretty sad but still had potential, or so my not so keen eyes saw.

I was close enough I could have touched it if I chose to. And yes, the best data on it was what Nemrod had. Mine was what the locals told me and it's not always the most accurate.

mm2002
02-17-2008, 08:22
The way I understand it, the Zeb is a boat that was actually named the Branson Belle at one time. It was purposely sunk at Indian Point for a diving attraction, and renamed the Zebulon Pike so people wouldn't confuse it with the modern day Belle. I think some further research on this would be kinda cool.
I'll tell you who could answer all of these questions, and that would have been John Hoynacki (RIP). He was known around here as John the Diver. Unfortunately, he's not around to tell any more stories.

edit: sorry, I didn't see the other thread started on this

Kidder
02-17-2008, 20:11
Hi there, Just to let you guys know. I will be dusting off the equipment and diving with you guys at Table Rock. Looking forward to seeing you there.

cummings66
02-17-2008, 21:05
No need to dust, the water will wash it off for you.:smiley36:

skdvr
02-18-2008, 06:57
OK so here we go again

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Snagel (maybe)
B1gCountry (maybe)

Am I missing anyone?

Phil

skdvr
02-18-2008, 16:34
OK so b1gcountry is out. He has a mapping exercise to do that weekend.

updated list is below.

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Snagel (maybe)

Wkndbum
02-18-2008, 19:09
updated list is below.

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Snagel (maybe)

Wkndbum (maybe)

Wolfie2012
02-18-2008, 19:51
Assuming we're still set on the 15-16th put me down for a maybe. Still have to clear it with the wife and figure out transportation if she decides she won't come with. ;)

texdiveguy
02-18-2008, 19:59
Updated list is below.........

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
Wolfie2012 (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

This is an 8 hour one way haul for me....I would enjoy diving the lake as I have never dove it before, but will just have to see how my schd. plays out. I would get there on Friday afternoon and leave by noonish on Sunday if I can make the trip.

skdvr
02-18-2008, 21:18
The list is looking good...

Now if we can change some of those maybe's to Yes...

Oh, and yes this is for the weekend of the 15th.

Texdiveguy - I am going to be in your area the week before this. I am heading to San Antonio on the 1st of March and I think the plan is to stay in Dallas the first night and then finish off the trip down to San Antonio the next morning.

Have a good one

Phil

texdiveguy
02-18-2008, 22:31
The list is looking good...

Now if we can change some of those maybe's to Yes...

Oh, and yes this is for the weekend of the 15th.

Texdiveguy - I am going to be in your area the week before this. I am heading to San Antonio on the 1st of March and I think the plan is to stay in Dallas the first night and then finish off the trip down to San Antonio the next morning.

Have a good one

Phil

Safe travels on your up and coming trip south!

I hope to make the April trip and hook up with a few of you folks that have experience diving the lake.

I am going to hit up a few buds of mine to see if this run might work for them.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 13:32
So you think you're coming up for the Norfork dive then? Be good to finally meet you at one of these dives...

texdiveguy
02-20-2008, 16:24
So you think you're coming up for the Norfork dive then? Be good to finally meet you at one of these dives...

When is the Norfork event...?

Wolfie2012
02-20-2008, 17:55

First weekend in April I believe. I'm trying to decide between this one, the Norfork, or DUI days... or multiple ones if I can talk the wife into it.

skdvr
02-20-2008, 18:18

First weekend in April I believe. I'm trying to decide between this one, the Norfork, or DUI days... or multiple ones if I can talk the wife into it.

AAAAHHHH Just hit all of them:smiley20:

Here is a link (http://forum.scubatoys.com/midwest/8928-norfork-lake-trip.html) to the Norfork trip thread.

Phil

jawisa1
02-22-2008, 07:19
Count me in for Tablerock.

skdvr
02-22-2008, 08:32
So the count moves forward one. That is great. Here is what I have so far for the trip...

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
jawisa1

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
Wolfie2012 (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Phil

Brandon Belew
02-22-2008, 08:51
So is everyone who is going diving with a drysuit? I'm contemplating coming - even though it's a damn long drive - just don't want to be the only idiot wearing a wetsuit :D

skdvr
02-22-2008, 09:02
So is everyone who is going diving with a drysuit? I'm contemplating coming - even though it's a damn long drive - just don't want to be the only idiot wearing a wetsuit :D

Kidder - will be wearing a wetsuit...

jawisa1 - is going to try to take the Dry Suit course just before the trip and then maybe rent a drysuit or dive wet. He is not exactly sure yet.

I am pretty sure that everyone else will be diving dry.

Where are you going to be driving from?

Come on down man, it should be a blast. Good dives with good people.

Phil

Brandon Belew
02-22-2008, 11:05
I'd be coming from pittsburg ks, it's not THAT far - but still takes a full tank of gas.

skdvr
02-22-2008, 11:14
Yeah, that is not to far. About an hour and a half closer than me.

Come out out and play...

Phil

cummings66
02-22-2008, 18:24
I know I'm diving dry, probably will be for the entire year I suspect. The only way to dive...

I'd think a good 7mm with a skin under it would let you do multiple dives without getting too cold, or you could use the hot water trick as well. I have dove a 7mm in the temps I think I'll see and was comfortable after the initial shivering went away. I'm not a fan of it anymore though. Dry has spoiled me too much.

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 15:26
I might come out - i'll have to check the finances. I barely fit my 7mm, don't think I could handle a skin under it :)

mm2002
02-23-2008, 16:20
Are you all still planning on Indian Point? I'll see if we can make it out there, and if any of you need anything just let me know.

skdvr
02-23-2008, 18:15
Are you all still planning on Indian Point? I'll see if we can make it out there, and if any of you need anything just let me know.

No real plan right now. Indian point was just an option. I think that we will certainly dive Over by the dam (having a brain fart, and can't remember the name) oh wait a second it is Dewey Short. I think that once we get a little closer we will talk about Indian Point. Maybe that could be a Sunday dive. I really do not care where we dive as long as we are in the water.

Well I just talked to Kidder and he is taking a drysuit class this tuesday and heading to Mermet for his Open Water dives on the 2nd of March. So I think he now intends on renting a drysuit for the Tabelrock trip. I think the thought of cold water mixed with cold air temp made him make up his mind real quick:smiley20:. I do not think his wife likes me any more...

Phil

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 18:20
I'm avoiding a drysuit, I go diving to get wet ;)

skdvr
02-23-2008, 18:52
I'm avoiding a drysuit, I go diving to get wet ;)

Nothing wrong with that... So does that mean that you are going to be there?

Phil

mm2002
02-23-2008, 19:19
I may just change my mind and dive too. I'm willing to give it a shot. If it's too cold I'll just get out and call it a day.

texdiveguy
02-23-2008, 19:37
I may just change my mind and dive too. I'm willing to give it a shot. If it's too cold I'll just get out and call it a day.

You will never know till you give it a try.

skdvr
02-23-2008, 21:19

Come on out man... The first dive you should be fine. It would just be the second one that may start to get a little much. I would just keep that wetsuit on me the whole time. If you take it off you will never want to put it back on...

Phil

Wolfie2012
02-23-2008, 21:47
So last time I was at beaver lake the air was so damn cold so I took some good advice to get in the drysuit at the hotel before we even drove over to the lake so I could get ready in warmth ;)

Cold water temperature is one thing, I'd consider diving wet in that, but I can't imagine ever diving wet if the air temp is cold.

Anyway, my maybe has turned into a somewhat stronger maybe. ;)

Dark Wolf
02-23-2008, 23:07
I will not be available the date that you all are going down. However, I am interested in diving the area that you are talking about along with a few others. Please keep me posted on any future trips, and I will see what I can do.

Thanks.

DW

Brandon Belew
02-24-2008, 01:39
I will most likely be there, just have to make sure I have funds closer to the date.

skdvr
02-24-2008, 06:32
Hopefuly I have the list correct. Please add your name is I missed anyone.

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
jawisa1

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)
mm2002 (maybe)

Have a good one.
Phil

skdvr
02-25-2008, 08:47
Well Jawisa is out. He has a retreat with one of his kids that he forgot about so here is the amended list.

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)
mm2002 (maybe)

Have a good one.
Phil

mm2002
02-25-2008, 09:24
I'm going to check with the shop and see what suits they have that I may be able to use. I think they have some 7mm semi-dry. What really sucks about this is that I was planning to have my dry suit cert by now, but that just hasn't happened. I definitely don't want in there with my 4/3! brrrrr....

skdvr
02-25-2008, 11:19
4/3 would be real cold!!! I have a hooded vest that you could use if you would like to add a little warmth. I am not sure if it would fit you or not. I am 5'11" and about 200lbs and it fits me great. You would wear it under your wetsuit. Just a little bit warmer than a regular wetsuit hood.

Let me know if you want me to bring it with me...

Phil

Wolfie2012
02-25-2008, 11:24
Hey if you can post what the shop might have available as far as renting drysuits that would be awesome. I have a buddy who is in the process of (finally) getting his suit but doesn't know if it'll be here by then. He'd probably come down if he could rent something functional. :)

skdvr
02-25-2008, 11:45
Hey if you can post what the shop might have available as far as renting drysuits that would be awesome. I have a buddy who is in the process of (finally) getting his suit but doesn't know if it'll be here by then. He'd probably come down if he could rent something functional. :)

I just tried to go to their website scubasports.com (http://www.scubasports.com) and it did not work. I was going to give them a call and see what they had for drysuits. Last year when I was down there I asked them about renting drysuits and they said that they did not have many. Maybe MM2002 could give them a call as he is local and probably has their number on hand.

Phil

mm2002
02-25-2008, 12:04
Scuba Sports - Branson Missouri, The only 5 Star PADI dive center in the area! (http://www.scuba-sports.com)

I just spoke with Monte, and he said they did not have any dry suits available for rental. They do have some 7mm semi-dry though, and he seems to think I could hang with one of those. I may try it, I'm not sure yet. My other concern is the skill level of those of you who are going. I've only got 16 dives, and haven't been in the water since early November. I sure don't want my inexperience to hold anyone else back from getting some good dives in. I would imagine it would take me a bit just to get comfortable in the water again, and besides that I have a new BC I haven't even tried yet. What I may do is just hang out in the shallows at 15-20 ft and get to know my new gear a little. At any rate, it would give me an excuse to get wet and have a little fun! I just don't want to be the newb that ruins it for everyone else. :smiley36:

skdvr
02-25-2008, 12:18
Scuba Sports - Branson Missouri, The only 5 Star PADI dive center in the area! (http://www.scuba-sports.com)

I just spoke with Monte, and he said they did not have any dry suits available for rental. They do have some 7mm semi-dry though, and he seems to think I could hang with one of those. I may try it, I'm not sure yet. My other concern is the skill level of those of you who are going. I've only got 16 dives, and haven't been in the water since early November. I sure don't want my inexperience to hold anyone else back from getting some good dives in. I would imagine it would take me a bit just to get comfortable in the water again, and besides that I have a new BC I haven't even tried yet. What I may do is just hang out in the shallows at 15-20 ft and get to know my new gear a little. At any rate, it would give me an excuse to get wet and have a little fun! I just don't want to be the newb that ruins it for everyone else. :smiley36:

Hey thanks for giving them a call, and for pointing out that I had the wrong web address. I always forget about the dash in the middle.

As far as inexperience goes do not worry about it. There will be some people there that are extremely experienced and then me. I only have 50 dives and my buddy "Kidder" has about 35 or 40 dives. If you want to dive come on out and I will dive with ya, as I am sure everyone else wood. It is about having a good time, and that is all as far as I am concerned. I know the feeling though. I get like that sometimes with some of the more experienced people that I have been diving with.

If some of the tech folks want to go out and do a 200' dive then they can go out and do it. Nothing says that we cannot hang out in the shallows and play with fish.

Bottom line. Dont Worry About It! Just come out and have a good time.

Phil

cummings66
02-25-2008, 12:39
My other concern is the skill level of those of you who are going. I've only got 16 dives, and haven't been in the water since early November.

I'll do some dives with you, I do have some goals for the trip and I don't want you to think you're stopping it. For my tech course I need a few more dives below 100 feet and one of my goals for the event is to get at least 2 deep dives, but I also need to practice skills with my doubles so I need shallow dives for that. Shallow is better for buoyancy control in other words because it's harder to do well.

So, I will gladly buddy up with you because some of my needs are also compatible with yours.

At any rate, don't sweat it, there's always something to be done no matter what your experience level is.

In fact, I'm probably going down there this coming Saturday to do some of the dives I want, if it works out that is.

So, the dives in a couple weeks will be good fun and practice for both of us.

Brandon Belew
02-25-2008, 12:49
I've only been certified a year, so i'm relatively new too. I wouldn't worry about experience levels, sounds like there will be a lot of us "noobs" there.

I normally hang out in the deep end, but have no problem playing in the shallows.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 12:55
Just wanted to add something. When I have a really desired dive that precludes diving with OW divers I typically don't mention to the world that I'm going to be diving. The reason is I don't want anybody to feel slighted that I won't dive with them. On trips like this I'll dive with anybody because it's one of those trips you do to make friends and have a good time. Goals are just that goals, and they don't need to be met in order to have a good time.

I'm generally known as a diver who will dive with anybody regardless of skill levels and I get along with almost everybody. On shore dives like this I especially enjoy diving with new divers because there's no stress about having paid for a trip I can't enjoy so we'll enjoy the dives we make. I was new to diving not that long ago and I feel it's my duty to return the favor's I was granted, that is diving with a good buddy who I can trust.

My only requirements are that my buddy stay by my side or within reach in case something happens to either of us help is at hand. Normally I like my buddy to be either left or right of me, even with me so I can turn my head and see them. Some dives don't allow that and then I like them to have a light I can see if I'm in front of them. The key thing is I like my buddy to be in a known spot in case somebody needs help.

No other rules, just be friendly.

Brandon Belew
02-25-2008, 13:02
Do you ever go on the house boat trips at TableRock? I'm looking forward to the summer one - probably go on the fall one again too.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 13:09
No, I've never done that one. Thought about it but that's about as far as I've ever got. I hear it's pretty nice though.

Brandon Belew
02-25-2008, 14:30
It was pretty fun - nothing like climbing back onto the boat and being able to take a shower - warm up some hot cocoa - climb into bed - etc.

mm2002
02-25-2008, 18:43
Well hey, count this noob in I suppose! I actually can't wait to try out the new BC! I have a new pony setup I want to rig up too, so I'll be able to check out some new toys! Does anyone need me to bring some tanks? I have to drive right past the dive shop to get there, so I could pick up as many as needed. They have AL 80's and some steel 100's that I know of. It's about a 40 minute round trip from the dam to the dive site, so that could save some driving.

skdvr
02-25-2008, 19:47
mm2002 you are now officially moved up on the For Sure list:smiley20:

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
mm2002

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Phil

mm2002
02-25-2008, 20:00
mm2002 you are now officially moved up on the For Sure list:smiley20:

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
mm2002

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Phil

Well since you're updating the list ....:smiley36:
I just talked with the wife, and pending on her work schedule I think we can put her in as a serious "probable". She just can't stand it that I was going to dive without her!

skdvr
02-25-2008, 20:19
Well since you're updating the list ....:smiley36:
I just talked with the wife, and pending on her work schedule I think we can put her in as a serious "probable". She just can't stand it that I was going to dive without her!

Sounds good to me...

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
mm2002

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)
WAHMof2 (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

The list is looking good again.

Anyone else want to add to the list?

Phil

mm2002
02-25-2008, 20:36
Oh and BTW, we're pretty close in size (I'm 5'10" 194 lbs) so yeah, if you wouldn't mind bringing that hooded vest I may try it. I have a 1mm shortie, and I was just getting ready to order a hood, but in case I don't have the hood by the 15th I may give it a shot. Who's bringing the hot water? :smiley36:

WAHMof2
02-25-2008, 20:46
My only concern is just being too cold! I'll plan on wearing my new shorty under my 6.5m full, plus my new ST hood.....I'm hoping that will do it at least for one dive:smiley20:
Any other "keep warm" tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated :smiley_bucktooth:

skdvr
02-25-2008, 21:00
Oh and BTW, we're pretty close in size (I'm 5'10" 194 lbs) so yeah, if you wouldn't mind bringing that hooded vest I may try it. I have a 1mm shortie, and I was just getting ready to order a hood, but in case I don't have the hood by the 15th I may give it a shot. Who's bringing the hot water? :smiley36:

No prob, I will bring it with me. Don't think that I forgot that I told you that you can use my BP/W sometime too, to check it out. Since you got a new BC that you need to try first we will hold off on that until the summer time when I am down there, you will be more than welcome to give it a shot and see what you think. Hopefully I will be down there in July for a week and will hopefully be looking for someone to dive with, because I am hoping that my wife will be pregnant and unable to dive. So I may look you guys up and see if you are up for getting in the water then.

My only concern is just being too cold! I'll plan on wearing my new shorty under my 6.5m full, plus my new ST hood.....I'm hoping that will do it at least for one dive:smiley20:
Any other "keep warm" tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated :smiley_bucktooth:

I think you should be good in the 6.5 with the shorty under or over it. I think that most people put the shorty over the full suit, but really you can do it how ever it fits you best. It will be cold getting into the water but once you are in and get the water in your suit warmed up it should be OK, it just depends on how your particular body deals with cold.

I will bring a cooler with me and stick a jug or two of warm water in it so if you guys need warm water to start with or after the dive you will have some. I am already saving my milk jugs...

Have a good one.
Phil

Brandon Belew
02-25-2008, 22:48
are you guys just diving the one day - or camping or what?

skdvr
02-26-2008, 05:41
We will be diving Sat and then 1 or 2 on Sun. I think that a good portion of people would like to be on the road heading home around noon on Sun.

I am not sure about the camping part. I will not be, but I do not know about the others...

Phil

cummings66
02-26-2008, 07:14
I'm going to be camping in a motel room...

I think Phils plan is a good one, dive good on Sat and do 1 or 2 on Sunday depending on the time we get in.

mm2002
02-27-2008, 17:07
Curiosity got the best of me, so we went out to Dewey today. Thought we'd take a little dip and see just how the water temp felt. Holy Crap!!!!!! That sh!t is freakin' cold people! There is now way on this earth you guys are getting me in that water! I was thinking, aww how bad could it be, and I sure wanted to go do some diving, but dayum! Anyone who dives these temps with a wet suit has my complete respect.

I apologize about my eagerness to join up and hang with you guys in that big bucket of ice water, and having to back out, but whatever it takes to do that...I don't have :smiley19:.

The wife has already planned the day off, and my offer still stands if anyone needs anything. We'll be happy to give shore support, run errands, or anything else we can do to help. Under water though, well, we'll be there in spirit!

On a serious note, this definitely sealed the deal on us having dry suits before next winter. We both really love diving, and this sitting out for 5 or 6 months out of the year just isn't going to cut it.

snagel
02-27-2008, 17:34
Did you happen to notice what the water temp was?

S. Nagel

snagel
02-27-2008, 17:35
If you want cold, check out myalbum listed below under Mermet Feb 2008. There was ice in the trees, but good diving.

S. Nagel

mm2002
02-27-2008, 18:09
Surface temp was 41 F today. Yeah, those Mermet pics look like a cold day. We had ice on the trees here a week or so ago, but I doubt the water temp was any different. Do you dive this cold in a wet suit?

skdvr
02-27-2008, 18:14
Curiosity got the best of me, so we went out to Dewey today. Thought we'd take a little dip and see just how the water temp felt. Holy Crap!!!!!! That sh!t is freakin' cold people! There is now way on this earth you guys are getting me in that water! I was thinking, aww how bad could it be, and I sure wanted to go do some diving, but dayum! Anyone who dives these temps with a wet suit has my complete respect.

I apologize about my eagerness to join up and hang with you guys in that big bucket of ice water, and having to back out, but whatever it takes to do that...I don't have :smiley19:.

The wife has already planned the day off, and my offer still stands if anyone needs anything. We'll be happy to give shore support, run errands, or anything else we can do to help. Under water though, well, we'll be there in spirit!

On a serious note, this definitely sealed the deal on us having dry suits before next winter. We both really love diving, and this sitting out for 5 or 6 months out of the year just isn't going to cut it.

Sorry to hear that you are not going to be able to get in the water with us. I would still love to meet you guys, so if you have nothing else going on and want to come out for a llittle bit and say Hi, that would be great.

I have done 40 degrees a couple of times in my 7mm (about 30 min) and it is cold for sure, but once my suit was full and the water warmed up it was not bad at all. It was kind of funny after the dive because me and my buddy were trying to talk to each other but our cheeks and lips were so cold that they were not moving very well. All we could do is laugh...

Here is the newest list...

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob

Wolfie2012 (probable)
Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Phil

cummings66
02-27-2008, 18:41

41 is pretty dang cold, in a wetsuit 42 is the coldest dive I've ever done and to be honest I was able to sneak up on it because it was warmer above the thermocline. My teeth would fall out now I think. I'll tell you a secret I've never told anybody.

First, most people think I'm hardcore because I dive year round, under the ice and all. They think I'm immune to the cold.

The secret is that last year I dove wet a few times, maybe 4 or 5 dives out of the total I did. I hit 55 degree temps and almost called the dive I was so cold and miserable. After about 20 minutes of freezing my butt off I was able to enjoy the dive, but it wasn't what I'd call fun. The funny part was, we both had drysuits in the car but "chose" to dive wet because it was such a hot day out. We both changed to dry for the next dive, even though it was 95 degree's out.

IMO once you dive dry you'll change your perspective on diving from then on. You also lose some of your cold tolerance.

I do recall some tricks that worked and helps you sneak up on the cold, hot water poured in the wetsuit works very well, and since it takes a while to go away you'll find that the cold will sneak up on you most of the time, and you won't notice it so much.

Bring your wife down and at least we'll meet and talk about what could have been. Scuba Sports does a drysuit course you know, might be able to convince them to do it on the date we dive and then you could return the suit later... I'm pretty sure they don't rent them but do have them for classes.

mm2002
02-27-2008, 19:06
We'll still have to come out and meet you guys, but yeah, I'm afraid the water temp is a little extreme. Diving is supposed to be fun, eh? Well, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any fun.:smiley2:
It will be fun, however, to come out and meet you all, and even more fun to watch the ones in wet suits!

Ya know, what really sucks is that right now they say the vis is awesome, and there's no thermocline. Next winter we'll be ready to experience that for sure.

mm2002
02-27-2008, 19:12
Scuba Sports does a drysuit course you know, might be able to convince them to do it on the date we dive and then you could return the suit later... I'm pretty sure they don't rent them but do have them for classes.

Yes, they do, and I was actually scheduled to take that class earlier this month. The problem is that they sent off what dry suits they had for repair, and they haven't got any of them back yet. Monte was telling me that they were getting a little concerned because they haven't been able to contact the facility that was doing the repairs. The dry suits they have right at the moment is the one that Monte is using (which is on loan from the fire dept), and one that belongs to Louis. That's it. None available for rentals or classes right now.

Wolfie2012
02-28-2008, 22:31
Looks like I'm a go for this trip, at least for now. Can never predict if the wife will change her mind. ;)

skdvr
02-29-2008, 06:44
Looks like I'm a go for this trip, at least for now. Can never predict if the wife will change her mind. ;)

Sweet!!

I just moved you up...

Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Wolfie2012

Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Later
Phil

snagel
03-01-2008, 08:43
Scuba Sports does a drysuit course you know, might be able to convince them to do it on the date we dive and then you could return the suit later... I'm pretty sure they don't rent them but do have them for classes.

Yes, they do, and I was actually scheduled to take that class earlier this month. The problem is that they sent off what dry suits they had for repair, and they haven't got any of them back yet. Monte was telling me that they were getting a little concerned because they haven't been able to contact the facility that was doing the repairs. The dry suits they have right at the moment is the one that Monte is using (which is on loan from the fire dept), and one that belongs to Louis. That's it. None available for rentals or classes right now.

Louis still doesn't have his suits back???? I took the class in early January with Scuba Sports (great class by the way). I used Louis's suit for the class. At that time, he was waiting on his suits to get back from whomever he sent them off too. It's not sounding good for his inventory of suits.

S. Nagel

mm2002
03-01-2008, 11:01
Yeah, they could probably be doing some classes right now if they had them back. I would think you'd want to send those out for repair during the summer, but I dunno.
Oh well, it's only a few more weeks, and we'll be able to start diving again. Once the water reaches 60 + I'm good to go. Dry suits are definitely in our plans for next winter. I do have some questions regarding those purchases, but I'll do that in the proper section.

Brandon Belew
03-01-2008, 18:30
I need to lose 20-100 lbs before I buy a drysuit

cummings66
03-02-2008, 08:25
The temps down deep are pretty close to what they are up top, I think it was around 39 degree's or so. Vis kind of sucked during the day, but wasn't half bad at night.

Maybe it will improve in the next couple weeks. The shore is crystal clear, but that changes pretty fast once you hit 20 feet.

WAHMof2
03-02-2008, 10:23
I wonder why the vis was so bad below 20?

Wolfie2012
03-04-2008, 10:15
It's only a week and a half away so I thought we should possibly get some plans at least loosely laid out. I don't know if Phil will be up to joining us by then or not, so we may be one man short. :(

Here are the questions I have:

Are we planning on meeting at Dewey short on Saturday morning? Any particular time we would like to get started?

Should we charter Scuba-sports boat for sometime on Saturday or are the good dives accessible enough from shore?

I don't know if there are any particulars around hours for access to the lake, but is anybody interested in a night dive on Saturday perhaps?

I figure we'd leave Sunday morning open to decide later since I'm not sure what time everybody will be breaking up and heading home.

cummings66
03-04-2008, 12:24
You'd have to call SS's because they lease their boat out and don't get it back until around May I think. I know it wasn't out back last weekend when I was getting my tanks filled.

Wolfie2012
03-04-2008, 13:11
You'd have to call SS's because they lease their boat out and don't get it back until around May I think. I know it wasn't out back last weekend when I was getting my tanks filled.

Ah, I'll get a hold of them and see.

Wkndbum
03-04-2008, 18:06

Yep, it turns into a Trout fishing boat during the winter.

skdvr
03-05-2008, 07:59
Hey there everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that as of right now I am still planning on heading to the lake with ya.

Let me know what Scuba Sports says about their boat.

I have a boat down there but for one thing it would not be big enough for everyone. The other problem is that since it is still the colder months no one will be using the boat so I would have to cover it on Sun. I would not want to cover the boat with the inside being wet. I did have an idea about maybe just transporting people to another shore dive location, like The Zebulon Pike, or Duck Island. We will just have to see how many of us there will be and go from there.

Have a good one.
Phil

Wolfie2012
03-05-2008, 08:37
That's great Phil, I'm looking forward to diving with you. I haven't had a chance to call Scubasports since my daughter has had a really bad stomach flu. (Not a pleasant experience for either of us.) I did send them an email, but haven't heard back.

My friend has decided to come down and dive with us, drysuit or not. His drysuit is supposed to be here before we leave but if not, he's just planning on layering on the neoprene.

We probably should be sure that at some point before we leave that everyone exchanges cell numbers so we can all keep connected in case something changes between the time we leave and the time we arrive.

Hey there everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that as of right now I am still planning on heading to the lake with ya.

Let me know what Scuba Sports says about their boat.

I have a boat down there but for one thing it would not be big enough for everyone. The other problem is that since it is still the colder months no one will be using the boat so I would have to cover it on Sun. I would not want to cover the boat with the inside being wet. I did have an idea about maybe just transporting people to another shore dive location, like The Zebulon Pike, or Duck Island. We will just have to see how many of us there will be and go from there.

Have a good one.
Phil

skdvr
03-05-2008, 08:56
That's great Phil, I'm looking forward to diving with you. I haven't had a chance to call Scubasports since my daughter has had a really bad stomach flu. (Not a pleasant experience for either of us.) I did send them an email, but haven't heard back.

My friend has decided to come down and dive with us, drysuit or not. His drysuit is supposed to be here before we leave but if not, he's just planning on layering on the neoprene.

We probably should be sure that at some point before we leave that everyone exchanges cell numbers so we can all keep connected in case something changes between the time we leave and the time we arrive.

Yeah I plan on PM'ing everyone next week at some point with my cell number, so that we can all be in contact...

Oh and as to what time on Sat I think we are planning on 9am. I will have to wait until it gets a little closer before I can figure out about a night dive. Kidder and I will be going down together and our wifes are going as well. So we will have to see what is going on with them, since we will be gone all day.

Phil

skdvr
03-05-2008, 09:00
Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Wolfie2012 (+1 friend)

Brandon Belew (probable)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)
texdiveguy (maybe)

Please double check my list for me and make sure that I have everyone correct...

Thanks
Phil

Wolfie2012
03-05-2008, 09:26
I think Brandon has moved over to the Oronogo thread and committed there... I could be wrong though.

I'm all set and have a room at Table Rock Inn for Friday and Saturday night.

Brandon Belew
03-05-2008, 09:57
Yeah sorry! It's closer. I'd rather be close, cold and miserable. Then 120 miles away, cold and miserable :)

texdiveguy
03-05-2008, 10:09
OK....looks like my March trip to this location and/or Capt. John's are scrubbed... :( I am though going to get up and dive with you Yankees at some point and hopefully drag a few Tx. buds along with me. Thanks for all the posts and information you have supplied. You folks have a great time and be safe!!

skdvr
03-05-2008, 10:35
Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Wolfie2012 (+1 friend)

Snagel (maybe)
Wkndbum (maybe)

Thanks for letting us know that you would not be able to make it. Hopefully we will meet up some other time....

Phil

texdiveguy
03-05-2008, 10:42
Thanks for letting us know that you would not be able to make it. Hopefully we will meet up some other time....

Phil

No problem....you guys seem to be a great group of folks.....maybe at some point we can meet also at Broken Bow lake Ok.,,,good lake and maybe in-between distance wise....just a thought. :) Alan

skdvr
03-05-2008, 16:02
No problem....you guys seem to be a great group of folks.....maybe at some point we can meet also at Broken Bow lake Ok.,,,good lake and maybe in-between distance wise....just a thought. :) Alan

Sounds good to me. I am always up for a road trip....

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-05-2008, 16:53
Heard back from Scubasports....

It will depend on how many that you have our boat is sitting on lake Taneycomo we can pull it out but would need aleast 4 divers on board. Louis

So, who's interested in chartering the boat? :)

skdvr
03-05-2008, 17:07
Heard back from Scubasports....

It will depend on how many that you have our boat is sitting on lake Taneycomo we can pull it out but would need aleast 4 divers on board. Louis

So, who's interested in chartering the boat? :)

I would be depending on cost.

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-05-2008, 17:29
I would be depending on cost.

Phil

The website says $60 including weights and tanks, but I sent them a reply asking to confirm their prices.

cummings66
03-05-2008, 22:28
The $60 is normally a two tank dive where they provide the air. Maybe it would be cheaper if we all had our own air?

Wolfie2012
03-05-2008, 23:15
The $60 is normally a two tank dive where they provide the air. Maybe it would be cheaper if we all had our own air?

That's what I was thinking too.

skdvr
03-06-2008, 08:08
Well right now we have 7 people. I think that if we each took 2 tanks I could fit everyone on my boat, but like I said I would prefer to just do shore dives from the boat. Then everyone could just pitch in a couple of bucks for gas $4 or $5 and that would be that. The only problem is that you are then shore diving, but we could get away from Dewey Short that way for a couple of dives. If this does or does not sound like something that would interest you please let me know.

I just have a hard time spending the money for a boat ride. If everyone else wants to do it I will consider it. I will see Kidder tonight and I will ask him what he would want to do.

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-06-2008, 12:22
Well right now we have 7 people. I think that if we each took 2 tanks I could fit everyone on my boat, but like I said I would prefer to just do shore dives from the boat. Then everyone could just pitch in a couple of bucks for gas $4 or $5 and that would be that. The only problem is that you are then shore diving, but we could get away from Dewey Short that way for a couple of dives. If this does or does not sound like something that would interest you please let me know.

I just have a hard time spending the money for a boat ride. If everyone else wants to do it I will consider it. I will see Kidder tonight and I will ask him what he would want to do.

Phil

I guess since I've never been to this lake, I would just ask what kind of dives are accessible by boat that are not accessible(at least feasibly) from shore?

Wkndbum
03-06-2008, 20:43
Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Wolfie2012 (+1 friend)

Snagel (maybe)

Phil

Wkndbum is out.

It was a choice between ice fishing & diving, the fishing won out.

"The visibility was rather poor, I'd say it was about 5 feet below 70 feet. It started at about 10 feet from the surface down to 20 feet, then declined as you got deeper. You could see lots of floating algae or large silt in the water, especially as you got deeper."

Matt's report on the vis started to turn me off on the trip & then I talked to a friend tonight that was hammering the Walleye @ Mobridge, SD. That made my decision.

I'm going to try for the Lake Norfolk trip now. If I don't make the Norfolk trip then I'll try for the DUI deal. This $3.60 diesel is cutting down on my weekend 1000 mile trips.

Terry

Wolfie2012
03-06-2008, 21:41
Wkndbum is out.

I'm going to try for the Lake Norfolk trip now. If I don't make the Norfolk trip then I'll try for the DUI deal. This $3.60 diesel is cutting down on my weekend 1000 mile trips.

Terry

Ah well, maybe next time. I don't think I'll make the Norfolk trip but since my wife was going to come on this trip and then couldn't come she wants to come down in April for DUI days. (not to dive, but because Arkansas is so close and she needs to hit every state at some point in her life... don't ask ;) )

skdvr
03-06-2008, 21:59

Phil

I guess since I've never been to this lake, I would just ask what kind of dives are accessible by boat that are not accessible(at least feasibly) from shore?

One of my favorite dive spots is Breezy Point and that one is only accesable by boat, but there are a few other good ones that we can hit by beaching the boat. I attached my Google Earth places for Tablerock. Now not all of them on there I have been to but most of them that are Just North and South of the Dam I have hit. The ones futher down the lake I have never been to I got them from Snagle.

Phil

skdvr
03-06-2008, 22:00
Skdvr
Cummings66 (+ 1 friend)
Kidder
DrRob
Wolfie2012 (+1 friend)

Snagel (maybe)

There is the newest list.

Thanks Wkndbum for letting us know that you would not be able to make it. Have a good time Fishing...

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-06-2008, 23:53
One of my favorite dive spots is Breezy Point and that one is only accesable by boat, but there are a few other good ones that we can hit by beaching the boat. I attached my Google Earth places for Tablerock. Now not all of them on there I have been to but most of them that are Just North and South of the Dam I have hit. The ones futher down the lake I have never been to I got them from Snagle.

Phil

Wow, Breezy point looks like it'd be awesome. I love those wall-type dives. Oh well, I'm fine with whatever everybody else is up for. Whatever dives we do will be fun I'm sure.

cummings66
03-07-2008, 22:20
I just wanted to say I've got my room booked at Table Rock Inn, #17. My wife and daughter will be with me as well, not diving just fun afterwards.

Greg is also booked there. I'll be there late Friday as he will.

cummings66
03-07-2008, 22:28
I attached my Google Earth places for Tablerock. Now not all of them on there I have been to but most of them that are Just North and South of the Dam I have hit. The ones futher down the lake I have never been to I got them from Snagle.

Phil, those Oasis sidescan locations were not from Snagel, they were from nemrod, he's posted the data here on this board as well as Scubaboard. The town center I got from the govt data on it plus the old plat maps I've uploaded to scubaboard. I sort of triangulated it based on the few remaining land reference points from before the flood... It pretty much agreed with the govt data I had. I intend on diving that spot and finding it.

Like the Tablerock lake Google Earth stuff, I'll include some of it in my personal Table Rock Lake maps, thanks.

cummings66
03-07-2008, 22:41
Matt's report on the vis started to turn me off on the trip & then I talked to a friend tonight that was hammering the Walleye @ Mobridge, SD. That made my decision.

I am hoping the vis is better, but to be honest I have another motive for diving and no matter what the vis is, if it's beyond the end of my mask I'll make the dive. Plus, it may be better now. Some speculation was about the recent rains and such making it worse, so I hope it's better.

Norfork should be good too. I hear you about the fuel prices, I know some locals here are putting off road diesel in their trucks. It's much cheaper unless you get caught. I don't have that type of engine so I can't do it, and if I did I'd probably make biodiesel or run it on french fry oil, per the conversions. Mercedes makes a good diesel that can handle it without trouble I hear.

skdvr
03-08-2008, 06:20
I attached my Google Earth places for Tablerock. Now not all of them on there I have been to but most of them that are Just North and South of the Dam I have hit. The ones futher down the lake I have never been to I got them from Snagle.

Phil, those Oasis sidescan locations were not from Snagel, they were from nemrod, he's posted the data here on this board as well as Scubaboard. The town center I got from the govt data on it plus the old plat maps I've uploaded to scubaboard. I sort of triangulated it based on the few remaining land reference points from before the flood... It pretty much agreed with the govt data I had. I intend on diving that spot and finding it.

Like the Tablerock lake Google Earth stuff, I'll include some of it in my personal Table Rock Lake maps, thanks.

I should have been a little more specific. I should have said up the lake and not down the lake. I have not been to any of the sights past Indian Point. Those are the ones that I got from Snagle.

You are correct about the two Oasis ones that I have. One of them I got from you and the other I got from Nemrod. I have not dove those either.

Phil

WAHMof2
03-08-2008, 10:13
Looks like you planned this at a good time. The weather is looking pretty decent for all next week into the weekend.

skdvr
03-08-2008, 10:39
Looks like you planned this at a good time. The weather is looking pretty decent for all next week into the weekend.

I agree, it should be nice. I hope so anyway...:smiley20:

Phil

cummings66
03-08-2008, 12:31
You are correct about the two Oasis ones that I have. One of them I got from you and the other I got from Nemrod. I have not dove those either.

I'm going to do it, just got to get the boat and buddy. Know anybody?

To be honest it is an advanced dive, it's basically a 110 foot deep dive with blue water ascents and would need to be on a downline to do. It would need a good air consumption rate or large tanks in order to do it as well.

The plan I'm working on at the moment is simple but will push the NDL. It's descend at 10 meters per minute, stop at 33.5 meters for the remaining time which should be about 13 minutes. 13 minutes at 4.3 ata means I will use about 1565 Liters of gas on the bottom time which includes descent. For ascent the rock bottom figure would be about 705 liters of gas to the surface including the safety stop which means that when we hit that figure we go up regardless of time. That means to do the dive requires 2300 liters of gas. My HP120 has about 3400 liters of gas. The AL80 has about 2200 liters, the HP100 has about 2800 .

All that's in metric, I won't guarantee the accuracy yet. I'll do it in English first then verify. I'm trying to learn the metric system for diving and I'll use that system first from now on, but I'll compare it to english to make sure I did it right. You can see the dive requirements though would require a diver to have at most a 28 liter or 1cf per minute SAC rate. That's doable for most, I'm half that quite often. The rock bottom figure is based on 56 liters or 2 cf per minute SAC for being stressed out.

It's a no deco dive, and could only be done on the first dive, but should give some time to find it. I'm figuring on a higher than average consumption rate because of being nervous on a blue water descent and ascent, plus the low vis on the bottom and cold temps.

skdvr
03-08-2008, 13:55
I would be up for it... Not this weekend, but sometime this summer if you want. I have the boat down there. I will have my 120's doubled up soon and start practicing with them. I just purchased a used doubles wing, and a second reg. All I have to do now is convert both of my regs to DIN and I will be set to start using the doubles. I am very interested in doing this at some point. Even if I cannot get to it this year I would try to hook up with you maybe next winter and give it a go.

So about this coming weekend. What is the concensus on using my boat for a few other shore dives or doing the Charter. I do not know if Wolfie ever got a price for us using our own tanks and weights or not. I know that I would prefer not to spend the cash, since I have been spending so much lately with the new doubles and new drysuit, but if everyone else wants to do it then I may go that way. If a few of you want to do 2 dives on the baot and someone else wants to shore dive I would hang back with them and shore dive too.

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-08-2008, 14:34
I'm fine with not spending the cash. They never got back to me on prices without tanks. Only reason I'd consider it is because I love the cliff/wall dives.

cummings66
03-08-2008, 15:17
I prefer not to spend the cash either, it's expensive enough doing what I plan on this year.

Shore is fine by me.

skdvr
03-08-2008, 15:52
OK, so we are not using Scuba Sports. Would you guys want me to come over in the morning and pick everyone up on the boat and head up to the Zeb or any other shore dive. All this is assuming that I will not have a problem starting the boat. Which I shouldn't. It does not get winterized, but it has been a while since it has been ran. I would plan on being over at the Dock at Dewey Short around 9am. Then only problem that I will have after that is after a dive or 2 at another location, when we go back to Dewey Short, I would have to take the boat back to my house and then load up my truck and drive over to Dewey Short for dives from there. That could take me a little while. If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to do just pass them along...

Phil

cummings66
03-08-2008, 17:51
Phil,

It's your boat so I'd ask you this question. What sites have you not dove that you think you'd want to dive? I'd say if you host it that your desires should come first, I'd be along for the ride is all.

As I've said to many divers in the past, whatever you feel like doing is ok with me as long as everybody's comfortable with it.

cummings66
03-08-2008, 18:00
A followup post.

If you have dove all the sites and just don't know what to do, the Branson Bell, Jake's Point, Duck Island, and perhaps the Saddle are some dives to be done. I haven't done the saddle and I think it's a pretty deep dive so depending on the skill level of the various divers it may or may not be appropriate, same goes for the Branson Bell.

Me, I'm good for any of them or even other new ones.

Wolfie2012
03-08-2008, 19:24
I'm good for any of them, as is my friend (Rick). I am pretty much up for anything. I'm good to meet at Dewey Short at 9am and we'll be at the Tablerock Inn.

I'm not sure what time we'll be getting in on Friday yet, but do we want to try and meet up for dinner or something that night?

I also might be up to a night dive on Saturday, have to see how my new 24w canister handles at night. Have to see how Rick feels about night diving in neoprene if his suit doesn't get here. ;)

skdvr
03-08-2008, 21:28
The Saddle is not really that deep... It goes to about 60 ft I think and at one point it does drop away pretty deep but it comes right back up to ya. I have not swam all the way across it. I have done about half I think from Breezy Point. We could beach the boat on that Island and then do the saddle or surface swim across to do Breezy Piont. Would be a pretty good swim though. Should not be many boats out there.

Branson Bell (Zeb right???) does get pretty deep (about 100ft depending on the lake level), Kidder and I have done it and would be up for it. Just depends on what everyone is confortabel with. Duck Island is kind a cool dive. It is normall reccomended for only about 40ft because of the boat traffic. If you get deeper than that you are getting pretty far out into the main channel, but this time of year I do not think that we would have to worry about it.

So as of right now I will plan on meeting up with everyone at the dock at Dewey Short at 9am. Bring on board what ever gear you want and 2 tanks. If you do not have 2 tanks let me know and between Kidder and I we should have a few extras.

Later
Phil

mm2002
03-09-2008, 11:04
OK, so we are not using Scuba Sports. Would you guys want me to come over in the morning and pick everyone up on the boat and head up to the Zeb or any other shore dive. All this is assuming that I will not have a problem starting the boat. Which I shouldn't. It does not get winterized, but it has been a while since it has been ran. I would plan on being over at the Dock at Dewey Short around 9am. Then only problem that I will have after that is after a dive or 2 at another location, when we go back to Dewey Short, I would have to take the boat back to my house and then load up my truck and drive over to Dewey Short for dives from there. That could take me a little while. If anyone has any ideas on what they would like to do just pass them along...

Phil

Depending on how many are going on the boat, and if you have ample space, I'd be glad to drive the boat Phil. That would give you someone up top, and I could drop everyone off back at Dewey, take the boat back to your slip, and bring your truck back. I don't know if that would help or not, but the offer is there if you need the help.

Wkndbum
03-09-2008, 17:35

I know some locals here are putting off road diesel in their trucks. It's much cheaper unless you get caught. I don't have that type of engine so I can't do it, and if I did I'd probably make biodiesel or run it on french fry oil, per the conversions.

The computers on the new Duramax tell the Dealer EVERYTHING! Off road diesel, bio-diesel (5% ok) & french fry oil all void the warranty. I'm not willing to take the chance.

Wkndbum
03-09-2008, 17:41
The plan I'm working on at the moment is simple but will push the NDL. It's descend at 10 meters per minute, stop at 33.5 meters for the remaining time which should be about 13 minutes. 13 minutes at 4.3 ata means I will use about 1565 Liters of gas on the bottom time which includes descent. For ascent the rock bottom figure would be about 705 liters of gas to the surface including the safety stop which means that when we hit that figure we go up regardless of time. That means to do the dive requires 2300 liters of gas. My HP120 has about 3400 liters of gas. The AL80 has about 2200 liters, the HP100 has about 2800 .

All that's in metric, I won't guarantee the accuracy yet. I'll do it in English first then verify. I'm trying to learn the metric system for diving and I'll use that system first from now on,

....WHY?

skdvr
03-09-2008, 19:11

Phil

Depending on how many are going on the boat, and if you have ample space, I'd be glad to drive the boat Phil. That would give you someone up top, and I could drop everyone off back at Dewey, take the boat back to your slip, and bring your truck back. I don't know if that would help or not, but the offer is there if you need the help.

I just shot a PM to DrRobb and to Snagel to check with them to see if they were going or not. I am just trying to figure out how much room there will be on the boat. It will be tight. One more reson that shore dives would be better because all of on there trying to gear up would be a disaster. So I would ask to bring on board only what you need. So I will let you know about space as soon as I hear from those guys.

Phil

cummings66
03-09-2008, 21:53
Both of them dive a BP/W single tank and drysuit. Probably won't take much room up. I have doubles but they can set almost anywhere. I could take the bare basics of what I'd use and not take up much space.

How large is your boat?

skdvr
03-10-2008, 07:13
It is a 21' Pontoon Boat. I have two tank racks that will hold 6 tanks each. Your doubles would not fit in it (I am going to build one as soon as I put mine back together.) but those can be laid on the floor just about anywhere. I am sure that we will have room for everyone. Should be fun. I am looking forward to getting down there....

Phil

cummings66
03-10-2008, 07:29
I am too, it's going to be fun.

cummings66
03-10-2008, 07:33
The computers on the new Duramax tell the Dealer EVERYTHING! Off road diesel, bio-diesel (5% ok) & french fry oil all void the warranty.

I wouldn't be either. For what it's worth ORD is $2.95 at a local gas station that's known for high prices. They're usually $.16 higher than in town. I've been looking for an older Mercedes Diesel to convert someday. Not hard mind you because diesel is pretty expensive and I'm not sure there's any way to compete with gas. Once you're out of town all the savings of bio diesel go away.

Wkndbum
03-10-2008, 14:18
I'm not sure what time we'll be getting in on Friday yet, but do we want to try and meet up for dinner or something that night?

;)

Going by way of Chamberlain, SD??

Don't wait up guys! ha

Wolfie2012
03-10-2008, 17:04
Going by way of Chamberlain, SD??

Don't wait up guys! ha

You're a funny guy! :icon_razz:

skdvr
03-12-2008, 12:14

Well I have not heard anything from Snagel or DrRobb, but if you want to come out and meet us in the morning, and if there is room to come aboard you are certainly more than welcome...

I am going to PM you my phone number...

Phil

skdvr
03-12-2008, 12:16
I am going to bring a cooler on with me so if anyone has anything that they want to throw in there just bring it with ya. It may be cold enough outside that we may not need it but I will have one.

Damn I cannot wait to get down there....

Phil

mm2002
03-12-2008, 13:02
I PM'd ya my contact info Phil. If you can, call me Friday evening when you get in, and give me the final details.

skdvr
03-12-2008, 13:25
I PM'd ya my contact info Phil. If you can, call me Friday evening when you get in, and give me the final details.

Will Do...:smiley20:

Later
Phil

skdvr
03-12-2008, 15:14
DrRobb just confirmed that he will be there on Sat morning...

That day just cannot get here soon enough.

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-12-2008, 16:16
Looks like it might rain all weekend now, rain's fine with me, but lets keep those thunderstorms away.

skdvr
03-12-2008, 17:45
Looks like it might rain all weekend now, rain's fine with me, but lets keep those thunderstorms away.

Damn Weather...

I too hope that the thunderstorms stay away!!!

Phil

skdvr
03-12-2008, 17:48
the local station website that I go to alot is KY3 (www.ky3.com) they are saying just showering in the morning on Sat and Sun should be nice. But the weekend is years away as far as a forcast goes.

Phil

mm2002
03-12-2008, 18:51
Hell yeah, around here nobody knows what's going to happen with the weather until it happens. It was almost 80 today! I was tempted to go get in the water, but I know what the water temp still is brrrrrrr :smiley19:

Wolfie2012
03-12-2008, 21:14
Hell yeah, around here nobody knows what's going to happen with the weather until it happens. It was almost 80 today! I was tempted to go get in the water, but I know what the water temp still is brrrrrrr :smiley19:

Oh c'mon, my buddy who's comin with me is probably going to have to dive neoprene unless some kind of miracle happens tomorrow. Surely you could do at least one dive with us. Be a man! :chicken:

:smiley2:

skdvr
03-12-2008, 21:43

Oh c'mon, my buddy who's comin with me is probably going to have to dive neoprene unless some kind of miracle happens tomorrow. Surely you could do at least one dive with us. Be a man! :chicken:

:smiley2:

Hey if you buddy wants to rent a drysuit he can call TGADC (www.tgadc.com)and I can pick it up and bring it down with me. Kidder is renting one from there that I am picking up for him and bringing down with me. I will be in there Fri morning right around 10am picking everything up from there that I need. So if you get it called in just let me know.

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-13-2008, 00:45
Hey if you buddy wants to rent a drysuit he can call TGADC (http://www.tgadc.com)and I can pick it up and bring it down with me. Kidder is renting one from there that I am picking up for him and bringing down with me. I will be in there Fri morning right around 10am picking everything up from there that I need. So if you get it called in just let me know.

Phil

Cool, I'll ask him in the morning. Which location does he need to call if he decides to go for it?

skdvr
03-13-2008, 05:47
Hey if you buddy wants to rent a drysuit he can call TGADC (http://www.tgadc.com)and I can pick it up and bring it down with me. Kidder is renting one from there that I am picking up for him and bringing down with me. I will be in there Fri morning right around 10am picking everything up from there that I need. So if you get it called in just let me know.

Phil

Cool, I'll ask him in the morning. Which location does he need to call if he decides to go for it?

Sorry I did not think to mention which location. Have him call the St. Charles location. More than likely he will talk to Diane (one of the owners) super nice lady.

Phil

skdvr
03-14-2008, 10:47
I am walking out the door in a little over an hour so if anyone needs anything from me just give me a call...

If the weather is to bad for anyone diving in the morning I guess we just need to start calling one another. Still looks like just rain in the morning, I just do not know how hard it will be raining...

See you all tomorrow...

Phil

Dark Wolf
03-14-2008, 12:23
I hope you guys have some great dives this weekend! I am looking forward to reading the report. You guys be safe.

DW

snagel
03-15-2008, 11:59
Dudes,

I've been out of commission for about a week. Got this nasty and I mean nasty flu thing - up and down high temps for almost a week. Now, I have the huge sinus thing going on. Sorry I didn't get back and let everybody know I wouldn't be there, but I'm not in any shape for diving. Maybe next time.

Can't wait to read the dive reports.

S. Nagel

medicdiver
03-15-2008, 16:57
I've never dove Table Rock and I am very interested in the dive report because I am hoping to get there this spring.

cummings66
03-16-2008, 20:25
The saddle was not very pretty vis wise, but Dewey Short today was pretty good with about 10 feet of vis, it did get a bit better as you got deeper. Temps still are the same, the lake has not started warming up yet.

All told, I enjoyed the dives I did.

skdvr
03-16-2008, 22:15
On Sat we did 2 dives over near the Saddle and like Cummings66 said the vis was nasty, only a few feet (and that was only because the guy infront of me was wearing an orange drysuit)... On the second dive on the Saddle we came across a pretty neet wall that I did not know was there. I would like to check that out later this summer when the vis will be better (I hope). Water temps were in the low 40's, so the drysuit was certainly the exposure protection of choice. On Sat the wind was whipping around making the water pretty rough and the surface interval pretty cold.

On Sunday Kidder and I only did one dive in the morning, because he had to head back early. Again, like Cummings66 said the vis today at Dewey was much better. We just did a nice easy dive looking for fish and crawdads. I too wanted to get home early, but as usual I did not . I made it home about 8:30pm and got everything cleaned up and now I am ready to hit the sack.

I had a good time getting to meet some of the ST's folks. I would be happy to dive with you guys again anytime.

Phil

cummings66
03-17-2008, 07:33
We had a great dive going over to the Dam, boy was it noisy. It was the first dive to that spot for my buddies and the noise was not something they really expected. It was a good dive, and I found 6 cents, plus a line cutter somebody lost. I'll put a new blade in it and I've got something I've toyed with buying for free.

I learned a trick with the doubles, don't put any of your computer, compass or other gear on your arms until after you don them and it's much easier to get them on and off even.

mm2002
03-17-2008, 11:56
Sounds like it went well! I wish I could have joined you for this one, but we have a long summer ahead of us.
The dam does make a heck of a racket huh! The first time I heard that it kinda freaked me out. It sounds like a freight train heading for ya or something.

skdvr
03-17-2008, 13:17
Sun was my first dive over near the dam and yeah it was noisy... I had head other people talk about it so I knew what it was. I meant to ask my buddy about it when we came out and forgot all about it.

So you found 6 cents HUH? Did you have to buy lunch after that big discovery?

Phil

Wolfie2012
03-17-2008, 15:11
Even with the intermittent problems my buddy and I had, I still enjoyed the weekend (though Sunday was better for me by far).

Oh and the noise over by the dam was way cool. ;)

medicdiver
03-17-2008, 15:18
Thinks for the report. I'll have to check my schedule to see when I can get out that way. How would you compare it to diving Beaver Lake?

I learned a trick with the doubles, don't put any of your computer, compass or other gear on your arms until after you don them and it's much easier to get them on and off even.

:smilie39: I've made that mistake a few times.

cummings66
03-17-2008, 22:07
So you found 6 cents HUH? Did you have to buy lunch after that big discovery?

Here's the funny thing, you've no doubt been told objects appear larger under water. Well, when I first saw it I thought I found a quarter, then I got back to the surface where I could examine it better and it was a nickel and a penny. Of course the line cutter I found was nicer, in fact it cleaned up well enough I didn't have to replace the blade in it.

Thinks for the report. I'll have to check my schedule to see when I can get out that way. How would you compare it to diving Beaver Lake?

As a general rule of thumb, Beaver Lake has better visibility. I was told that recently it's been worse than Table Rock Lake due to the rains. The visibility has improved and I think with less rain it will get better, but that looks to be a ways off yet.

Lake Diver
03-18-2008, 23:19
did you find our license plate frame at around 80 ft on the tree?

skdvr
03-19-2008, 05:31
did you find our license plate frame at around 80 ft on the tree?

On what Tree? At which dive location?

Phil

cummings66
03-19-2008, 07:27
I looked for it but didn't see it. I followed all 3 guidelines down to the tree and didn't see it, neither did my buddy.

I don't know if I was in the right area though, but I was headed towards the dam and the depth was right, just no find...

Lake Diver
04-13-2008, 20:30
At Dewey Short.....Watch our video for it...it is about 15 ft away from the end of the rope around 80 ft....the rope closest to the dam, which starts around 25 ft....

http://www.lakediver.com/videos/tablerockvid.wmv

Nemrod
04-13-2008, 21:36
It has been a while now since visiting Table Rock. After discovering a diving Oasis and exploring the Zeb and diving the old bridge I lost interest in the place. First, Oasis and the artical in Dive Training is BS. I verified that. All there are is some slabs, an old road bed and some mysterious object on sidescan I could not locate on the bottom.

Oasis:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00045.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00044.jpg

Zeb Pike:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/00004.jpg

Saddle:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/00005.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0118.jpg

Bridge:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/kimberlingbridges.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00026.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00020.jpg

Enchanted Forest:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/00006.jpg

I have posted gps before including those for Oasis.

The Zeb cannot be dived from shore since that is private property I do believe. You really need to use a boat. Most people dive around the damn, the better diving s elsewhere.

Myself taken aboard the Whaler Nemrod, a 19 foot Outrage near the dam:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/HPIM0190_edited.jpg

N