PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here from California?

RoyN
02-08-2008, 02:00
Come on! Lets fill this forum up. :smiley20:

fisheater
02-08-2008, 02:05
Just a few hours north of you, in Sebastopol.

BTW, I through Milpitas a week and half ago, for my OW dives at The Breakwater.

[Only 10 more posts until grouperhood!]

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 12:37
Representin' in the South...

NucMed Man
02-11-2008, 10:21
Central Valley represented! Just back from weekend at Anacapa & Santa Cruz Islands:smiley20:.

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 11:08
Sorry, Midwest here.

Otter
02-11-2008, 19:04
Here! Livin' in the LA area (Pedro).

RoyN
02-12-2008, 16:47
We should all get together and go diving :D

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 16:59
Sure, come on down! ;)

robjoubert
02-12-2008, 17:38
I'm in Santa Clarita (near Magic Mountain / Six Flags)

Anyone going to the Avalon Harbor Cleanup next Saturday?

msprzeor
02-13-2008, 23:44
We visit SoCal often, does that count ?

cmburch
02-14-2008, 22:37
I recently moved to Vallejo. I used to live in the San Jose area. Most of my diving is in the Monterey area especially south of Carmel. I am going to start doing more dives in the Sonoma County area, so I do not have to cross bridges. I like free diving during abalone season in the Mendocino area.

fisheater
02-14-2008, 23:41
I recently moved to Vallejo. I used to live in the San Jose area. Most of my diving is in the Monterey area especially south of Carmel. I am going to start doing more dives in the Sonoma County area, so I do not have to cross bridges. I like free diving during abalone season in the Mendocino area.

Welcome.

For local dives (including one this weekend), check Welcome to northcoastdivers.org! (http://www.northcoastdivers.org).

RoyN
02-15-2008, 01:46
I like to dive up north sometimes....

ChrisA
02-24-2008, 19:34

I'm in Redondo Beach, CA

I live a mile from the beach. I mostly dive very close to home in Redondo Beach or up in Torrence or Palos Verdes.

When will it stop raining? Between the rain and catching a cold I've bee out of the water for weeks now.

Athena2c
02-26-2008, 17:17
From Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz area) here
:smiley20:

Noboundaries
03-01-2008, 08:14
Sacramento here. Did somebody mentioned getting together to go diving? We'll be diving on the Sand Dollar out of San Pedro for a one day trip over to Catalina on Sunday, May 18th. Right now there are five of us going, four from NorCal and my sis from SoCal. Might have a couple more going from up here too.

The dive shop chartering the Sand Dollar that day is Openwater Habitat Marine Schools out of Tustin. Their website is Openwater Habitat Marine Schools (http://www.diving.net/ohms.html)

The Sand Dollar on 5/18 is an all day dive trip. Their website is Diving Charters, Inc. - California Scuba Diving on Liveaboard Dive Boat Sand Dollar (http://www.divingcharters.com/). Departs San Pedro at 6 AM. Returns anytime between 6 to 9 PM. You can stay on the boat the night before at no cost if you want to avoid the early morning drive. Cost of the trip includes tanks, weights, airfills, full breakfast, lunch, dinner, and between dive snacks/soft drinks. Cost is $159 plus tax per diver. Nitrox is extra. I know that's a little more than most boats, but for an all-inclusive trip, that ain't bad. Figure getting in the water at least four times if so inclined. Dives are in the 40-70 foot range.

Give Mike or Rodney a call at the dive shop and celebrate May 18th by suckin' air!!!!! Their phone number is on the dive shop website. If you decide to go, say "hi" on the 18th (or the night of the 17th because we'll be grabbing a bunk).

Ray

abcitydiver
03-05-2008, 01:02
Abalone land here, Mendocino coast, come on up and get cold!

johnyringo
03-05-2008, 23:34
Up North

H088ES
03-07-2008, 11:41
Newport/Laguna here.

Although I did my OW certs up north in Monterrey, I go to school down south so thats where I've been going.

fisheater
03-07-2008, 11:54
Newport/Laguna here.

Although I did my OW certs up north in Monterrey, I go to school down south so thats where I've been going.

Which school?

thecheeseman
03-07-2008, 17:31
Palo Alto here. Bout 30 mins from SF.

yeah, i'd love to go diving! but i just got certified, so I need some more experience before I go with you guys though.

booger
03-07-2008, 19:07
Another Central Valley diver here. Go to Monterey alot, San Diego, and I'm getting married on Santa Catalina next month! I think it would be fun to get together with some different people and go diving.

What's your favorite CA dive spot?

RikRaeder
03-07-2008, 19:11
Yo baby yo baby yo. O-Town, West SiIde. Coming home in a couple of years and all ready on my countdown. Try to get out to Monterey every year when I'm back. (Don't worry, I don't bring my 9 when I dive ;))

thecheeseman
03-08-2008, 17:43
that's awesome booger!!! where on the island? congrats!

booger
03-12-2008, 20:29
The Wrigley Memorial in the botanicical gardens. Should be a good time!

thecheeseman
03-21-2008, 13:02
Oh cool, i've been around there- again, congrats and have fun! you should scuba for your honeymoon

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 13:53
Guess Who!:smiley36:

lemonquist
06-10-2008, 03:06
Here! Livin' in the LA area (Pedro).

same here!

blewgrass
06-11-2008, 11:18
I'm a North Bay Homey. I grew up in the East Bay near Oakland, CA and migrated up to Cotati. I'm 20 minutes from the edge of the Red Triangle! (Bodega Bay, CA)

Steve

chris408
06-11-2008, 11:21
San Jose over here!

3boyzmom
06-20-2008, 13:01
We're from the Sacramento area. Newly certified so we could dive in the British Islands- loved the warm water. We'd really like to dive more, but I just don't know if I can bear the cold water!!

Hoping to get our oldest boys certified this summer (ages 12 & 13). Have seriously considered heading to So. Cal for this. What do you think? Warm enough to make a difference?

johng723
06-21-2008, 02:06
I'm down in Cypress, just about 10 minutes or so from Huntington Beach...Would love to get together with anyone in the area for some diving!

Vercingetorix
06-21-2008, 07:08
Native Californian, but I got to Texas as soon as I could.:smiley36:

Lived in:
San Diego (born)
San Francisco
San Leandro
Daly City
Monterey
San Luis Obispo (graduated Cal Poly)

Charles R
06-21-2008, 08:54
Native from Cali born Bealle AFB outside Yuba City grew up mostly in Fresno (Clovis). Now in AZ but spend alot of time in SoCal

fisheater
06-21-2008, 10:37
We're from the Sacramento area. Newly certified so we could dive in the British Islands- loved the warm water. We'd really like to dive more, but I just don't know if I can bear the cold water!!

Hoping to get our oldest boys certified this summer (ages 12 & 13). Have seriously considered heading to So. Cal for this. What do you think? Warm enough to make a difference?

Do you go skiing? Do you get cold?

If you ski, you don't get cold because you wear the proper clothing. Diving is just the same. Wear the proper wetsuit (or drysuit) and you won't get cold.

You WILL, however, dive a lot more. From Sacto, you can easily have a weekend dive trip to Monterey. You'll see a lot of neat stuff in the kelp forests, meet a lot of nice divers and greatly expand your skills.

Alas, if you'll only dive on vacations to warm water destinations, your diving will not likely progress.

There are a few shops in your area that sponsor trips and classes in Monterey, including Dolphin www.dolphinscuba.com (http://www.dolphinscuba.com) and Sport Chalet Sport Chalet (http://www.sportchalet.com).

Please give local diving a chance.

Athena2c
06-21-2008, 13:58
I haven't dove in S. Cal yet, but have in Monterey and the Channel Islands. I don't think S. Cal is warmer enough than Monterey to justify the trip-you still have to wear the same gear.
I have to ditto what fisheater said-go for Monterey.

CompuDude
06-23-2008, 18:30
I haven't dove in S. Cal yet, but have in Monterey and the Channel Islands. I don't think S. Cal is warmer enough than Monterey to justify the trip-you still have to wear the same gear.
I have to ditto what fisheater said-go for Monterey.

Monterey: Plan for 48F

SoCal: Plan for 50F (although perhaps more like 55F in the summer)

Both are going to need a 7mm minimum, and frankly, I wouldn't want to do under 55F in a wetsuit, although I have many times. If you have access to a drysuit, both are fully viable options, and 2 degrees or so won't make much difference.

After that, it's all a question of what you want to do and see. Both destinations offer things that are the same... and some that are different.

ian
06-23-2008, 19:08
Temecula represented here!

Just got back from an incredible two-day trip to Catalina aboard the Magician out of San Pedro. 10 dives include one night dive! Fantastic food.

bubbletrubble
06-23-2008, 19:09
I'm in San Diego. I've done an overnight liveaboard to the Channel Islands and a weekend at Two Harbors (Catalina Island). Catalina has some great kelp diving. I haven't been to Avalon yet, but I hear it's nice.

If you decide to come to the San Diego area for diving, I would recommend planning the trip for August. The water's warmer (surface mid-60s) and generally the viz is better. Still...bring your 7mm. There are some really large Giant sea bass and inquisitive soupfin/tope sharks that hang out in the La Jolla Cove area. On a good day, the Point Loma Kelp beds can be really fun, too.

Kai
07-12-2008, 17:42
Native Californian here! Born and raised in Half Moon Bay. Spent the past few years traveling through Southeast Asia, working as a Divemaster, and am now settled once again in San Francisco and looking re-introduce myself to cold water diving. Monterey, here I come!

fisheater
07-12-2008, 21:20
Native Californian here! Born and raised in Half Moon Bay. Spent the past few years traveling through Southeast Asia, working as a Divemaster, and am now settled once again in San Francisco and looking re-introduce myself to cold water diving. Monterey, here I come!

Welcome back.

For a change, instead of heading south for Monterey, why not head north for North Coast diving. Come on out and join us. Welcome to northcoastdivers.org! (http://www.northcoastdivers.org).

Eddym67
07-12-2008, 21:34
Also Native Californian, but live in Las Vegas now.
Lived in...
Huntington Beach
Pismo Beach
Ventura, Hs and Jr Hs.
Santa Cruz
San Carlos, 30 min south of San Francisco.

mobeeno
07-12-2008, 21:44
Hi Kai,
Welcome back! Like your ScubaJunkie website.

Eddym67
07-12-2008, 21:50
I used to surf Half Moon Bay almost every weekend. Loved surfing Santa Cruz, but 17 was a Beeotch in my then 65 VW Bus! I miss the Bay!!!

Kai
07-13-2008, 11:59

Welcome back.

For a change, instead of heading south for Monterey, why not head north for North Coast diving. Come on out and join us. Welcome to northcoastdivers.org! (http://www.northcoastdivers.org).

Thanks for the invite! I'm working on getting a drysuit at the moment. Once I do, I'd love to do some diving up North. What can I expect to see?

Kai
07-13-2008, 12:02
Hi Kai,
Welcome back! Like your ScubaJunkie website.

Cheers!

Travelnsj
07-13-2008, 13:01
Yep I'm a native also....although only dive in warm waters!

fisheater
07-13-2008, 13:27

Welcome back.

Thanks for the invite! I'm working on getting a drysuit at the moment. Once I do, I'd love to do some diving up North. What can I expect to see?

Lots of inverts covering the rocks: anenomies, bat stars of all colors, sunstars, urchins, abs, nudies. A fair amount of fish: lings, kelp greenlings, assorted rock fish. And, of course, kelp.

What you WON'T see: (m)any divers other than your group, an LDS.

diverrex
07-19-2008, 12:57
Living in LA, dive one or two times monthly.

ninjit
08-28-2008, 17:10
La Jolla, CA here

I've dived a few times at the cove and shores, but visibility has generally been poor - however I've heard stories of how amazing the kelp forest can be on a good day - now that I've got my own gear, I intend to go as often as I can till I hit a nice day.

Besides that, Wreck-Alley is supposed to be pretty nice - but I need to save up a bit more and get a little more experience under my belt before I do those.

mobeeno
09-06-2008, 09:58
Kai, did you do any diving in Monterey or North yet? Up North (I have only done freediving) there are lots of abalone and bull kelp. Monterey and Carmel has nice topography and giant kelp.

ChrisA
11-16-2008, 17:31
Redondo Beach, CA. Just finished a dive at Old Marineland. Conditions were very good this mornng

mobeeno
12-25-2008, 12:35
:icon_smile_xmas::smilie_weihnfenster Merry XMas and a Happy New Year to all

diveguy1
02-15-2009, 02:45
Chris here - from Marin, just North of San Francisco. I dive for abalone just north of here in Sonoma county, and head down to Monterey every month or so for some beach diving. I also jump on a socal boat now and then, especially during lobster season.

Greetings all.

- Chris

fisheater
02-15-2009, 11:21
Chris here - from Marin, just North of San Francisco. I dive for abalone just north of here in Sonoma county, and head down to Monterey every month or so for some beach diving. I also jump on a socal boat now and then, especially during lobster season.

Greetings all.

- Chris

Hi Chris!

Have you checked out The North Coast Divers (Welcome to The North Coast Divers! (http://www.thenorthcoastdivers.org))? The club dives at least once a month, mainly along the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts. We're pretty unique in that we don't have officers, meetings or dues. We just dive. Decisions, if you will, are made by group consensus on our website's forum.

Please join us.

BTW, I grew up in Marin (SRHS '75) and work there, too. I live in Sebastopol.

DON
03-03-2009, 19:24
Hi all from So Cal (Long Beach area) I dive with a few friends that charter a few boats a year and we are always looking for additional divers if interested drop me a line

Don

mobeeno
07-11-2009, 10:02
Any Visibility report in Monterey Carmel area?

fisheater
07-11-2009, 12:40
Any Visibility report in Monterey Carmel area?

Reports from the last week are that vis is excellent.

enigmata
08-16-2009, 19:59
Representing Socal here... near UCLA.

cali.grrl
08-25-2009, 13:40
I'm in the South Bay of Los Angeles! Always looking for folks to dive with in the area!!

:) Charlotte

PM me if you are needing a buddy!