PDA

View Full Version : New training site in the St Louis area

skdvr
02-08-2008, 09:35
Hello, I was reading on scubaboad about a new dive quarry that is going to open around spring time in New Melle. Apparently it was a dive spot years ago and somehow Y-Kiki divers is affiliated with the quarry. I do not know if they bought into it or if they are just going to move most of their training there. I will pass on more details as I learn them. From what I know the quarry is abotu 5 acres and a little over 60ft deep. Vis was supposed to be around 20ft a few weeks back. It will be nice to have a place closer to St Louis that I can make a day trip out of. Hopefully they will do it right there.

If anyone else knows any more about it please fill in the blank spots...

Have a good one.
Phil

scubaculture
02-08-2008, 10:52
Hey Phil

This sounds great, would be awesome if there was a spot we could take a short drive to in the morning to get a good days diving.

Back in South Africa I used to live 5 miles from the biggest training quarry in the country, great being able to dive whenever the urge hits you

skdvr
02-08-2008, 11:42
Here it is on Google Earth.

Phil

snagel
02-09-2008, 09:28
skdvr: Any advice on opeing the attachement? My computer doesn't recognize the .kmz extension. What program opens this?

S. Nagel

snagel
02-09-2008, 09:44
Got it - Google Earth.

S. Nagel

skdvr
02-09-2008, 10:09
If you do not have google earth I can give you the lat/long. It is basically just a little south of Wentzville Mo at the North East corner of Hwy Z and Oak Lane.

There was a post on scubaboard by Ken from Y-kiki and he said that Y-kiki is not part of any ownership of the quarry just trying to help promote it.

Phil

KGNickl
02-09-2008, 10:23
Sounds great! As of now Y-Kiki uses a place that I believe is 2-3 hours away for training. This shop would be 30min - 1 hour from the from where i live which is much better.

skdvr
02-09-2008, 14:32
Sounds great! As of now Y-Kiki uses a place that I believe is 2-3 hours away for training. This shop would be 30min - 1 hour from the from where i live which is much better.

Yeah right now they us a quarry in Rolla Mo which I have never been to but I hear is pretty nasty... For some of their stuff they go down to Mermet springs which is a top notch operation. Hopefully this new place will take a few hints from Mermet and not Rolla.

Phil

cummings66
02-09-2008, 16:59
I know some shops from the Rolla area that quit going there, or at least slowed down.

KGNickl
02-09-2008, 18:17
Good info to know about that place. I've started to kick around the idea of getting my girlfriend into scuba and the last thing I would want is for her to give it a try and have her first open water dive to be at a place that is anything less than great.

skdvr
02-09-2008, 22:04
Really my personal preference in the St Louis area is TGADC (The Great American Dive Company). They have good prices and great instructors. They do all of their training at Mermet. Maybe they will move to this new place if it is nice, that I do not know. I like the people at Y-kiki but their prices for classes are pretty steep, and it has seemed to me that if you do not do everything through them they get a little frustrated. Check out TGADC, they have 3 shops in the St Louis area. They really are a great shop...

Phil

jaldrich
02-15-2008, 10:55
It will be nice to have a dive spot close to home. I'll be hitting this spot as soon as possible to work on skills and buoyancy control etc.
We did our check-out dives at Rolla last October. It seems like an ok place, but vis is horrific. 5 ft was about the norm... before we stirred it up.
Any word on when this place is opening?

skdvr
02-15-2008, 12:25
Here is a link to their MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/divestop) page.

There are supposed to open in April...

Phil