PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood Genesis HP steel 80s?

kancho
02-08-2008, 13:30
I just bought 2 used Sherwood Genesis 80's Steel.. They were manufactured in 1989 and 94 for $170 just needs visual.. I wanted to double them up. So a standard manifold won't fit? I was reading Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100s posting and I am assuming It will have the same effect as the 100's? The standard tank bads will fit right though they are 7.29 inch instead of 7.25

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 13:43
I just bought 2 used Sherwood Genesis 80's Steel.. They were manufactured in 1989 and 94 for $170 just needs visual.. I wanted to double them up. So a standard manifold won't fit? I was reading Sherwood Genesis HP steel 100s posting and I am assuming It will have the same effect as the 100's? The standard tank bads will fit right though they are 7.29 inch instead of 7.25

Yup. Exact same tanks as the 100's we were discussing. Just shorter. If you spent $170 on these old tanks without pre-testing, I hope you got a guarantee they'll pass vis. We recommended spending no more than $150 on the 100s... and these are older, and smaller, and thus should normally be cheaper.

Doubled HP 80s are REALLY hard to trim out, however. VERY head-heavy, since they're so incredibly short. I don't know many people who dive them successfully... or happily. And that includes at least one 4'11" petite woman. She ended up selling them and getting 100s instead.

kancho
02-08-2008, 13:50

Yup. Exact same tanks as the 100's we were discussing. Just shorter. If you spent $170 on these old tanks without pre-testing, I hope you got a guarantee they'll pass vis. We recommended spending no more than $150 on the 100s... and these are older, and smaller, and thus should normally be cheaper.

Doubled HP 80s are REALLY hard to trim out, however. VERY head-heavy, since they're so incredibly short. I don't know many people who dive them successfully... or happily. And that includes at least one 4'11" petite woman. She ended up selling them and getting 100s instead.

They have been Hydroed in 2004 and 2006 respectively. Hmm not a good idea to double these up eh.. it was 170 for both tanks. Was that too much? We will see tonight if it passes Viz.

So the genesis manifold won't fit on other tanks?

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 14:56
They have been Hydroed in 2004 and 2006 respectively. Hmm not a good idea to double these up eh.. it was 170 for both tanks. Was that too much? We will see tonight if it passes Viz.

So the genesis manifold won't fit on other tanks?

I'm not saying they're bad tanks for the right person, and since they have a recent hydro, as long as they pass VIP you've got a good deal. I wouldn't bother doubling them up, however. You can try (if you have the parts, trying is free!), but I'll be pretty stunned if you're happy with the result.

At $170 for two, that's a great deal. I thought you meant $170 each. If you decide you don't want them let me know, and perhaps I'll buy them off you for my wife to dive as single tanks. :)

The Genesis manifold that fits these tanks only fits tanks with the skinny "7/8 UNF" neck (7/8 refers to the threading, not the size). True high pressure tanks that exceed 3500 psi working pressure, and thus are also required to use DIN valves instead of Yoke. If you pick up other older skinny neck, true HP tanks, you can use the Genesis manifold on them, but it won't fit newer tanks that have the wider opening.

Most tanks today use "3/4 NPS" neck openings that a much bigger openings. The "high pressure" tanks are usually exemption tanks that skirt the 3500 psi rating (thus the 3442 pressure you see a lot) so they can offer DIN and Yoke valves.

More info: Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml)

kancho
02-09-2008, 00:11
passed viz. all good. After viz it was 210 dollars for both tanks the store recommended me 100's or 120's for doubles

cummings66
02-09-2008, 08:32
I'd say that's about right with the older 100's being better because they're lighter. Assuming the HP100 I found yesterday passes Hydro and vis I'll have a pair of them for doubles as well as my HP120's.

Be careful on the tanks you find, many of the older Sherwood Genesis tanks came with a valve you'll need to replace to double up. I have to buy a left hand valve for my new to me HP100 so I can double it up. I have a right hand valve already and only need the isolator and bands.

Highland is a good band by the way.

kancho
02-13-2008, 08:46
I'd say that's about right with the older 100's being better because they're lighter. Assuming the HP100 I found yesterday passes Hydro and vis I'll have a pair of them for doubles as well as my HP120's.

Be careful on the tanks you find, many of the older Sherwood Genesis tanks came with a valve you'll need to replace to double up. I have to buy a left hand valve for my new to me HP100 so I can double it up. I have a right hand valve already and only need the isolator and bands.

Highland is a good band by the way.

Thanks I will keep that in mind.. Yeah I will use my tanks as singles. and then buy some 100's later on.

WD8CDH
02-14-2008, 12:45
Inexpensive HP manifold:

Northeast Scuba Supply - Online Catalog - Tanks (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/tanks/hpmanifold.html)

The $75 one doesn't have an isolation valve but personally, I slightly prefer not to have one.

WD8CDH
02-14-2008, 12:47
Double HP 80s need to be be mounted low on your packplate to trim well, but they can be trimmed even for a tall person.

cummings66
02-14-2008, 22:44
Would you say a double trims like a single? IE if you need it low for a single you'll need it low for a double?

I ask because on my HP120's they trim the same, but when I double the HP100's I'm not sure it will work because to trim right I need it mounted low enough that I can not reach the valve at all. I'm wondering if in your experience locations vary with singles vs doubles? I'm thinking if anything a little bit lower due to the extra weight of the manifold and second first stage.

CompuDude
02-15-2008, 04:24
Double HP 80s need to be be mounted low on your packplate to trim well, but they can be trimmed even for a tall person.

My 100s mount at the lowest point as it is, the bands are already at the highest point of the tank. And as Cummings66 pointed out, any lower, and I wouldn't be able to reach the valves.

Not a chance 80s are going to trim properly, for me.