PDA

View Full Version : Crystal River- trouble in paradise

Osprey
02-08-2008, 19:29
2 days ago I read in the Tampa Bay Times that there was to be a public discussion on ending the manatee swims at Crystal River after some video was put out of people harassing and chasing a younger manatee. I am unsure of the verdict and I haven't been able to locate a TBT since (no idea why), has anyone heard more? If they are ending the swims, did they specify when that would be?

It's a shame they'd have to end the swims, I'm hoping the harassment was a one-time ignorant deal. But if it came down to keeping the manatees safe.. I'd rather miss the dives :smiley19:

NitroWill
02-08-2008, 19:33
I haven't heard anything but I hope some select people don't ruin it for everyone else. I was there last month and there was a Japanese film crew there pursuing them and trapping them just to get video. I have a feeling that it could come to an end because of people like that..

Osprey
02-08-2008, 21:23
Will, that's exactly what I am worried about. It makes me really sad because I know CR is the one place people from anywhere in the world can come to enjoy manatees face to face. I feel this really makes people aware of how precious they are, I am sure many will agree!

However because of things like what you stated, I wonder how much longer a good thing like this will last. I remember the Diz family calling me back in October telling me about how much fun their trip there was.. ugh, so sad how people ruin a good thing!

navyhmc
02-08-2008, 21:46
I'm not from Florida and it's been a few years since I've been there, but isn't there a law about harrassing Manatees? Why don't they start by enforcing that law before banning things outright?

mpd525
02-08-2008, 21:59
I'm not from Florida and it's been a few years since I've been there, but isn't there a law about harrassing Manatees? Why don't they start by enforcing that law before banning things outright?

I'm with you, instead of ruining it for responsible people, yank the idiots out of the water, call the police, and send them packing, with a nice fine to take with them.

But with todays government, it's all or nothing, don't do anything, and then do everything. READ-TSA

Lone Frogman
02-09-2008, 03:13
I haven't heard anything but I hope some select people don't ruin it for everyone else. I was there last month and there was a Japanese film crew there pursuing them and trapping them just to get video. I have a feeling that it could come to an end because of people like that..

Did you report them?

Osprey
02-09-2008, 06:46
Because they weren't caught until AFTER they left and posted it on youtube, according to the article I originally read. You can only enforce the law so much in a national park unfortunately. I can't speak for Will's experience though, just the instance discussed in town hall.

Crimediver
02-09-2008, 07:04
I will be down there next week. I will ask around and see what the locals say. A buddy of mine is a Captain with the Fla Marine Patrol at Crystal River. He probably is up to speed on this issue.

scubasamurai
02-09-2008, 07:19
i asked the same questions to a bunch of people who dove the cr after i saw a video and saw divers actually touching the manatees . according to florida law and no quotes on the exact wording. you can not force the animal to come to you or try to trap it to force it to come to you, but if it comes to you or "bumps" into you than that is legal. living down here i thought you bascially could just observe not touch them, but seems like you can touch them if they approach you, sounds like a loop hole to me.

well see also because manatees were moved off the endangered list to the threaten list. meaning their numbers have increased but we need to watch them carefully.

NitroWill
02-09-2008, 10:08

Did you report them?

I was with Birds Underwater - and one of the leaders took video of them harassing them and did turn them in.

scubasamurai
02-09-2008, 12:34
thats good, but to all divers going to crystal river, you should take only pictures and let them be, even though they are the trash cans of the waterways!!! hahah. hopefully the state /federal gov't won;t put more restrictions on

mike_s
02-11-2008, 15:53
2 days ago I read in the Tampa Bay Times that there was to be a public discussion on ending the manatee swims at Crystal River after some video was put out of people harassing and chasing a younger manatee. I am unsure of the verdict and I haven't been able to locate a TBT since (no idea why), has anyone heard more? If they are ending the swims, did they specify when that would be?

It's a shame they'd have to end the swims, I'm hoping the harassment was a one-time ignorant deal. But if it came down to keeping the manatees safe.. I'd rather miss the dives :smiley19:

There is a thread over on Scubaboard about it and a video of a bunch of people messing with a Manatee. that might be what you're looking for.

Manatee/Human Interactions - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/218272-manatee-human-interactions.html)