PDA

View Full Version : Clean for Nitrox?

newways
02-08-2008, 19:54
So I just got a great deal on two HP 119's. I'm not ready to go doubles or nitrox yet but I figured I'd get the tanks since I plan on doing both within two years.

I've seen alot of equipment that says 'cleaned for Nitrox'. Can I get these tanks cleaned and prepped and use them for Nitrox at any time? What is the process and why is it important for tanks to be cleaned for Nitrox? I know that the o-rings have to be O2 compatible.

thanks for the info :)

FishFood
02-08-2008, 20:15
This should answer most your questions:

Enriched Air Nitrox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrox)

ALso, you don't need O2 cleaned tanks for premixed nitrox. Ask your LDS how they handle nitrox.

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 20:44
Right. Ask your LDS if they require o2 clean tanks for their Nitrox. If the answer is yes, you need to get your tanks cleaned. (Once you're ready to get them filled with Nitrox, that is... you can clean them at any time.)

If the answer is no, then there's no need to worry about it.

cummings66
02-09-2008, 16:42
The other thing is if you're not certified to use Nitrox then don't worry about it. By getting the tank cleaned you're going to find you have established limits on where you get fills from, plus some shops just plain won't put air into a tank that has a Nitrox sticker on it.

I pealed off my O2 Clean sticker and left the Nitrox sticker on my tank, yet one shop refused to put air in it even then. If they don't understand Nitrox and the various fill methods you can be limiting your fill locations a lot.