PDA

View Full Version : Whites Fusion Dry Suit-Anyone have one?

caroln
02-09-2008, 14:38
Does anyone have the Whites Fusion dry suit? I am tempted to buy one after checking out their site and reading a few threads in other places on them, but I'm concerned about the durability since none of the reviews were from anyone who'd had one very long. I'd love to hear how one has held up after 100+ dives. I'm thinking of buying one for myself and my husband, but I don't want dry suits to be an annual purchase.

Edit:
Just so people know what a Whites Fusion Drysuit looks like... I've added this link: Whites Fusion Drysuit , Drysuits, Whites, Whites Fusion Drysuit (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Whites_Fusion_DrySuit)
End Edit

cummings66
02-09-2008, 16:34
I hear you, but consider the fact that they have not been out that long so to get long term data will take a while yet. How many dives a year does the average drysuit diver make in a drysuit? I'm sure it's something we'll hear more about in another year or two.

Almost any drysuit will last a few years without fail, but how many make it 5 or more years?

Like you I'd love to hear from somebody who's dove the heck out of one, maybe somebody will say they're the one.

skdvr
02-09-2008, 22:00
I wish I was that person that already had 100 dives on one. Mine should be here on Mon. From everything I have read on them (probably the same stuff that you have) I was sold on it. I will probably get the Tech skin down the road a little for both durability and to be able to add pockets to it. I personally think that it will hold up quite well, but only time will tell. I will gladly post about it after I have 100 dives on it but it may be a few years...

Phil

ScubaToys Larry
02-10-2008, 06:18
The guys from Whites came out this last week to visit our store We used to carry their stuff.. but got so many other brands going with DUI, Bare, Pinnacle, Mobby etc... we let whites drop by the wayside..

So they came out to show us the Fusion.... and it is pretty cool.. So we ordered up some suits - and they should be arriving in the next week. So if you're after a Whites Drysuit now... Just give a shout!

skdvr
02-10-2008, 08:02
Damn I wish I would have known that about 2 weeks ago. Mine should be here tomorrow...

I am sure you will sell the hell out of them...

Phil

cummings66
02-10-2008, 09:09
I am seriously thinking my next drysuit might be that one, it'll take a bit more money to make it how I like drysuits which is with a dryhood and those cost I think $50 - $70 more, but it looks like a promising design and I'm sold enough on specs and by some people I know on scubaboard who dive with it that I'd get one the next time around. Depending on the pocket solution that is.

CompuDude
02-11-2008, 18:58
The pocket "solution" bothers me a lot. Interesting design, aside from that.

Gombessa
02-11-2008, 19:30

I think the tech skin pocket solution is still in the works. Sounds like it's going to be a permanent, non-pocket-matrix solution.

CompuDude
02-11-2008, 20:22

I think the tech skin pocket solution is still in the works. Sounds like it's going to be a permanent, non-pocket-matrix solution.

Yes, but the tech skin, as I read it, is going to be something like a 1mm neoprene cover. That takes it outside the realm of a shell suit, IMO. It's a neat concept, but for me, there are too many little compromises. Others may not mind them, but for me, there's a few too many niggling little issues. It's a shame, because the reviews have been tremendous.

skdvr
02-11-2008, 20:34
Well mine just came today, and all I can say is WOW!!!! This thing is awesome. At the moment no pockets does not bother me because I have only been diving wet before this and I have no pockets on my wetsuit. I am interested in buying the Tech skin so that I can add pockets when ever that is an option. The only drysuit I have dove before this was a 6mm neoprene suit. The Lycra outer shell makes the thing feel so crazy because it is so form fitting. Very easy to Don and Doff and extremely confortable. Again this is with very limited experience with drysuits, but I must say that I really like this suit.

I am quite nervous about trimming the neck seal so if anyone has any suggestions that may help calm my nerves I would appreciate it.

If you ever have a chance to try one on I would certainly give it a shot. Rent one if you can and do a dive or two with it just for fun.

I think the Tech skin will certainly lend its self better to the colder water than warmer. I do not know if it would be a good match for someone that dives warmer water and needs pockets. Then again I do not know how much extra thermal protection it will offer. It will be a nice adition for me though.

Phil

Gombessa
02-11-2008, 20:56

Yes, but the tech skin, as I read it, is going to be something like a 1mm neoprene cover. That takes it outside the realm of a shell suit, IMO. It's a neat concept, but for me, there are too many little compromises. Others may not mind them, but for me, there's a few too many niggling little issues. It's a shame, because the reviews have been tremendous.

I hear you about the neoprene. But hopefully we can wait and see. From what I've seen, neoprene compression has a somewhat exponential effect. A 6.5mm suit is going to compress and lose way more than 2.3x what a 3mm suit will. If that's the case, then the buoyancy characteristics of a 1mm skin may actually be negligible. Furthermore, the tech skin isn't all 1mm neoprene--it's a mix of neoprene over high-wear areas and lycra. Though it's not quite to the same degree, my trilam has neoprene kneepads :D

We'll just have to see, but I'm not ruling out the tech skin + pockets just yet!

mike_s
02-11-2008, 22:12
Larry,

do you have "packages" that include the underwear sets, boots, goves, maybe hood? or is it just all ala-carte pricing?

ScubaToys Larry
02-12-2008, 06:33
Larry,

do you have "packages" that include the underwear sets, boots, goves, maybe hood? or is it just all ala-carte pricing?

Sure, Just give Joey or Big Joe a call... We're just going through the options now and starting to get things on the page - but we can set you up.. no problem.

caroln
02-13-2008, 10:54
That's great news that you'll be carrying these. I read that the tech skin/pocket solution should be out within a week or two so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I'm not averse to just going with x-shorts if I don't like it though. The only issue I'm really concerned about is durability since no one has had one long enough to know how well they really hold up.

skdvr
02-13-2008, 13:18
That's great news that you'll be carrying these. I read that the tech skin/pocket solution should be out within a week or two so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I'm not averse to just going with x-shorts if I don't like it though. The only issue I'm really concerned about is durability since no one has had one long enough to know how well they really hold up.

I really think that they will be out around the end of the week... Not real sure though, just what I have kind of gotten from the Whites rep on scubaboard.

PHil

caroln
02-20-2008, 14:41
The tech skin and pockets are out if anyone is interested. You can see pics on the Whites site. Looks pretty good to me. I'd love to see one in person before ordering though. It's a little scary ordering something so expensive sight unseen.

skdvr
02-20-2008, 17:22
I saw the skin at Our World Underwater last weekend. It looked and felt really nice. I really think that I am going to be ordering one as soon as they come out with the L/XL size. Right n ow I think that they only one that is out is the small...

Phil

Skyjunky
02-24-2008, 12:42
I ordered a Fusion after trying one at a dive show. Should be in this week.

skdvr
02-24-2008, 17:01
I just had mine in the pool for the first time this past week and I will get it in real water in the middle of March. So far I love it. Everone that has seen it has been impressed with the suit.

Phil

caroln
02-25-2008, 08:44
I just had mine in the pool for the first time this past week and I will get it in real water in the middle of March. So far I love it. Everone that has seen it has been impressed with the suit.

Phil

Is this your first drysuit or have you been diving dry for a while? If you've been dry for a while, how does this compare to other suits you've used as far as mobility?

skdvr
02-25-2008, 08:52
This is the 1st suit that I have owned. I have only been dry certified for about 6 months, and only used rentals before this. The rental suit that I had used was a 6mm Neoprene drysuit and the difference in mobility is HUGE. My LDS recently switched to DUI and are now using DUI as rentals and this past weekend they had their own little DUI days where a rep was there with all their different suits and you could try them out in the pool.. I wanted to go and check them out to see the difference but just like ever other weekend I was working and could not make it out there.

The mobility in this thing is awesome. I have a few friends that are taking the drysuit class tomorrow and then doing their dives this weekend and both of them want to try the fusion on after diving the DUI suits to see what the difference is.

I do not know where you are located but if you have any way of trying one on I would suggest it.

Phil

Skyjunky
02-25-2008, 09:26
I don't think anyone will doubt the mobility advantage in the Fusion over other drysuits. The question will be the durability compared to others in the long run.

kancho
02-25-2008, 10:31
My buddy got one. He is loving it. It fit really well he said.

skdvr
02-25-2008, 11:23
I don't think anyone will doubt the mobility advantage in the Fusion over other drysuits. The question will be the durability compared to others in the long run.

I agree, and only time will tell. There are a few people on scubaboard that I am watching because they do a heck of a lot more diving than me and their suits are holding up great. Now that is only with 50 or 60 dives on it so I too will be interested to see what happens over a period of more dives. I really think that I will get the tech skin when it comes out, but I also think that the lycra skin will hold up realy well.

Phil

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 12:30
Phil at DiveRightInScuba is hoping to set up a trial system, where he holds a whopping deposit on a CC and sends you a rental suit to try out... rental by mail, essentially. We'll see if works out. I know my LDS, Hollywoodivers, is thinking about adding a couple to their rental stocks, since there has been so much buzz about it.

I'm waiting for more reviews of the tech skin. I won't dive a dry suit without pockets, and I have concerns about how well the 1mm neoprene works compared to the lycra.

caroln
02-25-2008, 16:18
Phil at DiveRightInScuba is hoping to set up a trial system, where he holds a whopping deposit on a CC and sends you a rental suit to try out... rental by mail, essentially. We'll see if works out. I know my LDS, Hollywoodivers, is thinking about adding a couple to their rental stocks, since there has been so much buzz about it.

I'm waiting for more reviews of the tech skin. I won't dive a dry suit without pockets, and I have concerns about how well the 1mm neoprene works compared to the lycra.

I believe if you order with the tech skin, you actually get both the regular skin and the tech skin in your package. I am thisclose to ordering. The suit seems really pretty revolutionary. I am still slightly on the fence since I'll be ordering 2 and don't want to have to buy again for a very long time, but it's worth the slight risk of the unknown to get back in the water this month instead of waiting for spring.

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 17:43

I believe if you order with the tech skin, you actually get both the regular skin and the tech skin in your package. I am thisclose to ordering. The suit seems really pretty revolutionary. I am still slightly on the fence since I'll be ordering 2 and don't want to have to buy again for a very long time, but it's worth the slight risk of the unknown to get back in the water this month instead of waiting for spring.

Yes, that's actually a complaint some have with Whites. The suit comes as is. If you want the tech skin with or without pockets, it's an add-on cost. You don't get any credit if you don't want the lycra skin.

Personally I wouldn't buy a drysuit without trying it on (and hopefully diving it) first, but the reviews are indeed pretty positive (aside from the pocket issue).

berick
02-25-2008, 18:22
I was thinking the Fusion would have been a perfect drysuit for my wife -- she could dive in the tropics and around Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas. I was ready to buy her one with a couple different undergarment sets, but, she isn't really interested in diving the lakes -- spoiled by the Caribbean. So, we're now looking at the DUI 30/30. Unfortunately, that means I don't have much of a need for a drysuit (I was hoping to get one for myself if she wanted to dive the lakes)

cummings66
02-25-2008, 18:55

I hear you, pockets are an absolute necessity on a drysuit and like I told the guys at diveriteinscuba I'll wait until the pocket thing gets out there and I hear how it works. They had some amazing deals, I could even show up at their dives they do and they'll let me use it. I'm closer to them than you are so I get things a bit easier.

The idea of the suit is revolutionary and I think could go a long way towards making drysuits safer for the new divers, feet first ascents could almost be a thing of the past, but then so would walking on the ice upside down...

skdvr
02-29-2008, 11:24
Just so you all know Whites will now sell the Fusion with the Tech Skin only. So you do not have to get the Lycra skin if you do not want it....

Phil

cummings66
02-29-2008, 11:37
Now we're getting somewhere. I like that better.

ScaredSilly
02-29-2008, 13:48
I think could go a long way towards making drysuits safer for the new divers, feet first ascents could almost be a thing of the past, but then so would walking on the ice upside down...

I do not think this to be the case. The lycra shell will keep this suit close to the body but it will not prevent air movement. As such, diving this suit will be the same as any other suit in terms of hazards.

skdvr
02-29-2008, 13:56
I think could go a long way towards making drysuits safer for the new divers, feet first ascents could almost be a thing of the past, but then so would walking on the ice upside down...

I do not think this to be the case. The lycra shell will keep this suit close to the body but it will not prevent air movement. As such, diving this suit will be the same as any other suit in terms of hazards.

I have to agree with Cummings66 on this because when I was in the pool I was doing a head stand at the bottom (12ft) and it was taking quite a while for the air to move. The air migrates much slower in this suit. Yes it can still happen but whom ever it happens to would have to be paying absolutly no attention to what is going on. All I can say is try one if you have the chance...

Phil

RonFrank
09-19-2009, 00:39
We just had a whites rep at a Shark Bait dive meeting.

I was impressed with this suit diving the Peace Boat in the Channel Islands. Many of the divers had these suits, but the cost seemed rather prohibitive... ($2600). Now the rep is in Denver, I have discovered that the price these divers paid is "Like SanFran Pricing at the LDS".

However ScubaToys price is even better than the *promo* that our LDS is running.. go figure! :smiley36:

I don't really need all the underwear, even if it looks VERY nice.. I do however REALLY like their lightweight boots..

I've been diving my NexGen four years and I purchased that used for a song ($375). The Whites is looking rather good! I guess the only thing I question is the wear factor. The Demo dude said he has over 300 dives on his suit, and it looks new.. .hard to say, I did not see his suit (maybe in a two days, I plan to demo this).

frogman911
09-29-2009, 06:33
I have about 30 dives on mine. So far so good. I was worried about durability. But no problems yet. I have both the lycra skin and the neoprene. I love this suit. Its hard to beat for comfort and easy on/off by yourself. Since I dive alone it's perfect. I have had no issues with air traveling to my feet. I think this suit is hard to beat and don't think you'll go wrong picking one of these up!

Grin
09-29-2009, 10:12
I have one. I have only dove it a few times, but I can't wait for the water and air to get get cold enough to break it out again. Seems very durable to me but I don't have many dives on it yet. Since I root around in the reefs I get upsidedown alot and have noticed the air travel to my feet but it was barely a issue and only enough to make me notice. It has been simply corrected and is not a issue.
What I like is: being warm in Winter(yes I live in Florida). I wear my Mk2 stuff for the ride out on the boat and that keeps me warm for the trip out. I can dive in 60 degree water, surface and be dry and warm for my suface time without having to change or dry off. Diving wetsuits, in previuous years, you think since you live in Fl you don't need as much warmth for the ride out so your cold for that ride. Then you get in the water and each progressive dive sucks more and more warmth out of your core, and while doing surface time you are trying to get warm and dry. About your third dive you pretty much admit your freezing and your core won't be warm again until you get a hot shower. So what I discovered was, it isn't all about being warm during your dive. That's really nice, but being warm and dry all day while on the boat etc... is the kicker that makes drysuits really the chit! Even in Florida believe it or not!
Call scuba Toys and they will give you even better prices than you think. I got all my stuff for a very good price through them. I forget exactly but somewhere around $1600 including MK2 everything, and a hood, and tech skin. I havn't even installed the Tech skin, I see no need at present. I was worried about durabilty, but the regular skin appears plenty durable. I actually just recieved my 9 months ago backorderd Tech skin a month ago.