View Full Version : Flying with Pony (updated)

02-09-2008, 22:19
Ok, I am getting closer on this purchase. I see a 30 is 1" wider and 2.5" longer then the 19. Is it still doable to fly with a 30 or is 19 the best bet? I will be getting into lake MI wreck diving and 100+ feet will be in my future. Would the extra 11cf be worth the hassle of the bigger tank? Thanks again.

02-10-2008, 08:50
I've always been a advocate for the more the better. Most of the mathematicians on this site compute that a 19 is enough to get you to the surface with a modest safety stop. If you plan to push the no-deco limits and are going to be diving deep you may want more. That having been said, the catalogs I'm looking at say the 30 is 3.5 to 4 in longer and a inch larger diameter, the biggest difference is the weight. The 30 is almost double the 19 in real weight, that might make a big difference when you fly. How close are you to the weight limits on luggage and do you mind paying extra for flying heavy?

02-10-2008, 12:08
I have both a 19 and a 30. The 19 is now my vacation pony and the 30 is my home pony.
That extra 3# of weight in the checked or carry on bag is a big thing with the airlines these days.
size psi air dia len.. wt vol
S019300019.94.418.68.21756.3-1.4- NPSMS030300030.04.921.911.62639.5- NPSM
Most of my vacation dives are less than 90 ft, so I feel pretty safe with the 19.
Jim Breslin

02-10-2008, 21:01
You say you're getting into wreck diving, if you're penetrating then the 19 is out and I'd say the 30 is as well.

If no penetration is being done and you're not going deep and all it is is a pony then the 19 will be fine.

However, you say 100+ feet, to me that means you're likely to be doing Advanced Nitrox/Deco with a technical agency, how much money do you have to spend. Technical diving such as what I assume you mean you're going to do on the wrecks will require a 40 at the minimum.

Your choice, spend some now and more later, or get what you will need for that type of diving later on, now.

My advanced Nitrox/Deco course requires two AL40's as well as doubles, 200 cf minimum capacity.

If I misread your 100+ deep and wreck diving to be just diving around the wrecks from 100 - 130 feet then I'd probably just get the 30 for my usage. The 19 is fine, but honestly if you intend to hit 130 or so the 30 is a better choice.

02-11-2008, 11:37
Thanks for the advice, I hope I will eventually get the training and equipment for more advanced dicing and penetrations. However right now I am looking at staying within NDL's and not going into any overhead environments.

02-17-2009, 22:17
I'm going to Australia to dive. I want to take my tanks with me. Any suggestions on getting them there?

02-18-2009, 05:37
If your on Qantas, at every non-US departure point, you only need to show the staff an empty tank - no need to remove the valve. Ex-US, the TSA want the valve removed. I understand United want the valve removed each time, and Continental definetly do. Delta start flying to Sydney mid-year.