PDA

View Full Version : NAUI or PADI?

Streamline
02-10-2008, 11:49
I'm taking Part 1 of the PADI OW course this weekend and was recently told that NAUI is a better course. I would think that they both teach you the same skills ... is there really a difference :smiley29:? Can a PADI diver dive at a NAUI resort and visa-versa?

Charles R
02-10-2008, 12:00
You will hear this 100 time its not the agency its the instructor If you feel comfortable with the instructor you choose then go with PADI :smiley20: Congratulations on the decision to go DIVE.

fisheater
02-10-2008, 12:07
And, yes. Once you have a C-card from ANY agency, you can dive at any resort or other operation affiliated with any other agency.

Further, many people hold various ratings from multiple agencies.

Seems to me that the "my agency is better than your agency" arguments many exist in cyberspace.

Streamline
02-10-2008, 12:15
And, yes. Once you have a C-card from ANY agency, you can dive at any resort or other operation affiliated with any other agency.

Seems to me that the "my agency is better than your agency" arguments many exist in cyberspace.

So, down the road ... or rather... down the river, when I decide that I want to take a night dive course, I can choose any agency I want? I don't necessarily have to stick with PADI for all my training! :smiley31:

Charles R
02-10-2008, 12:24

So, down the road ... or rather... down the river, when I decide that I want to take a night dive course, I can choose any agency I want? I don't necessarily have to stick with PADI for all my training! :smiley31:

Yes, take OW with PADI then Nitrox with SSI advanced with NAUI Most agencies honor each others certs until you get to the instructor level then they make you take crossover classes.

Z-naught
02-10-2008, 15:23
The quality of the instruction is dependent upon the quality of the instructor. The agency is irrelevant. Certifications are generally recognized between agencies, so always choose the best instructor and pay no heed to the logo on the C-card.

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 17:16
I don't know if its everywhere, but in St. Louis, Missouri I have only noticed one shop that told me they do certifications other than PADI. So PADI it is for me! But I choose the shop I go to for goods and training based on fair prices and quality instructors.

in_cavediver
02-10-2008, 17:36
As others have said, at the OW level, agency is really pretty irrelevant for a student. Its the instructor and the style of class presented that makes the difference.

As for more advanced classes, especially tec level classes, shop both agencies and instructors. There can be many different philosophies to meet the same diving goal and you will want to choose what suits you the best.

Streamline
02-10-2008, 22:06
Are both PADI and NAUI recognized internationally?

Scuba-Bill
02-10-2008, 22:14
Are both PADI and NAUI recognized internationally?

They are.

cummings66
02-10-2008, 22:27
How about in France? They're pretty restrictive with the CMAS being the boss.

A PADI Open Water Diver who wants to dive with a Federation affiliated operator will have to hold a current FFESSM license and a current medical certificate. Under these prerequisites, an FFESSM Level 1 certification will be released to him, without a check out dive being required.

fisheater
02-10-2008, 23:20

A PADI Open Water Diver who wants to dive with a Federation affiliated operator will have to hold a current FFESSM license and a current medical certificate. Under these prerequisites, an FFESSM Level 1 certification will be released to him, without a check out dive being required.

Dang!

They're acting like they INVENTED scuba or something.

texdiveguy
02-11-2008, 00:42

Who gives a rats ass (can I say that) about what those 'morons' do in France--LOL! But the research is entertaining... :)

RoyN
02-11-2008, 11:22
I'm taking Part 1 of the PADI OW course this weekend and was recently told that NAUI is a better course. I would think that they both teach you the same skills ... is there really a difference :smiley29:? Can a PADI diver dive at a NAUI resort and visa-versa?

Yes there is!

Naui, you get a nod of excellent.

Padi, you get a peppermint candy.

And SSI, you get a soup.

It depends what you get in the end for your prize! :smiley36:

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 11:27

Yes there is!

And SSI, you get a soup.

Thats any interesting way to put it.

Streamline
02-11-2008, 11:29

Yes there is!

And SSI, you get a soup.

yummm peppermint ... my favourite!!!

mwhities
02-11-2008, 11:40
As others have stated, it's the instructor, not the agency. I've talked with instructors for my up coming want of my AOW. I've talked/e-mailed/txted/PMed the following agency instructors: 4 PADI, 5 SSI, 3 NAUI, 3 IANTD, 2 YMCA, and 5 GUE (:P).

For my AOW, I'm going with PADI. Why? Because my instructor is also IANTD Tech/Cave (full on both) instructor and an "Alpha B*tch" (She named herself, no one denies it...) about training. Plus, I got to meet her in person too. She answered every question I had for her to my satisfaction.

Another thing, I asked each instructor how often they dove, several said they only dove when they taught. That's my sign to stay away from them. My PADI instructor dives around 8 times a month for FUN. Meaning she's not diving only when teaching. She's actually out refining her skills and possibly learning new ones for herself.

So, talk to and meet possible instructors, that's the only real way to be able to find one for you. Don't worry about the agency. Also, the ONLY reason I want to get my AOW cert card, is that some boats won't allow you on the boat with out it. (I've heard of people not having their AOW and they get to dive but, they were told AND the DM policed them to NOT go deeper than 60fsw.

Good luck.

cummings66
02-11-2008, 12:02
I think that in any scuba course knowing if the instructor dives for fun is important, it shows their grit so to speak.

I never took Padi AOW, I did NASE. While there are differences and I'm not sure what they are I'd like somebody who's done AOW with the other agencies to tell me this much.

In my AOW materials, I just read them again last night by the way, they refer to air consumption and use terms nobody else has heard of. Such as SCR, CRAD, GCR and PSIM. They teach you how to end up at the surface with 500 psi, no joke. I know in my Padi OW class they told you to be there with 500 psi but not how to get there. Does the AOW for these other classes teach you how to figure that out and then how to actually do it?

I'm not saying NASE is perfect, I think they failed to consider the buddy in the figure above for example. But since I've not seen the material from the others what do they say about it.

Additionally they go into a lot more theory, even how to figure the PPO2 values for diving and other things related to the physics of deeper diving such as trivia like psi increases .455 psi per foot in sea water or .432 psi per foot in fresh water. We've got Dalton's, Boyle's, Charles's, and Henry's law discussion. Not sure why exactly in the AOW because much of that really doesn't change what you learn, nor will I tomorrow remember Charles law about the heating and cooling of gasses. I'll know about heating and cooling and how it affects my cylinders, but I won't know it's Charles's law...

In other words, how much dive physics are in the other classes AOW course? If I had the money I'd buy each agencies textbook and read them. Since I don't and need to choose what I spend money on I'll ask it here.

This indirectly goes to the fact that while the instructor makes a HUGE impact on your classes quality, it is not the only thing that impacts it. Translated I'd rather have an instructor who was through and teaches you with care the important things instead of an instructor for a great agency on paper who teaches you nothing more than look at the pretty fishes...

I'm not saying AOW needs those physics, but do they teach them at all?

scubasamurai
02-11-2008, 21:33
just remember,i agree with the fact it is the instructor that makes you the diver you are regardless of the agency. also the diver make the agency as well. if your reckless and careless than it is your fault not the agency fault. if you have an instructor ( like i did) that taught you well and made sure you did it right and understand what and why your doing a certain procedure than it doesn't matter. in fact i picked where i got cert by location!!!

CompuDude
02-11-2008, 22:25
I think that in any scuba course knowing if the instructor dives for fun is important, it shows their grit so to speak.

I never took Padi AOW, I did NASE. While there are differences and I'm not sure what they are I'd like somebody who's done AOW with the other agencies to tell me this much.

In my AOW materials, I just read them again last night by the way, they refer to air consumption and use terms nobody else has heard of. Such as SCR, CRAD, GCR and PSIM. They teach you how to end up at the surface with 500 psi, no joke. I know in my Padi OW class they told you to be there with 500 psi but not how to get there. Does the AOW for these other classes teach you how to figure that out and then how to actually do it?

I'm not saying NASE is perfect, I think they failed to consider the buddy in the figure above for example. But since I've not seen the material from the others what do they say about it.

Additionally they go into a lot more theory, even how to figure the PPO2 values for diving and other things related to the physics of deeper diving such as trivia like psi increases .455 psi per foot in sea water or .432 psi per foot in fresh water. We've got Dalton's, Boyle's, Charles's, and Henry's law discussion. Not sure why exactly in the AOW because much of that really doesn't change what you learn, nor will I tomorrow remember Charles law about the heating and cooling of gasses. I'll know about heating and cooling and how it affects my cylinders, but I won't know it's Charles's law...

In other words, how much dive physics are in the other classes AOW course? If I had the money I'd buy each agencies textbook and read them. Since I don't and need to choose what I spend money on I'll ask it here.

This indirectly goes to the fact that while the instructor makes a HUGE impact on your classes quality, it is not the only thing that impacts it. Translated I'd rather have an instructor who was through and teaches you with care the important things instead of an instructor for a great agency on paper who teaches you nothing more than look at the pretty fishes...

I'm not saying AOW needs those physics, but do they teach them at all?

I know at least one NAUI instructor that teaches a pretty thorough gas management workshop as part of his AOW course. (You probably know of NWGratefulDiver). As far as I know, however, formal gas management calculations are not part of any recreational-level course at any of the top agencies (in this country, at least).

ScubaJW
02-11-2008, 22:28
Agreed that it's the instructor... The agencies do not matter. I have a PADI card and will have a NAUI card soon.

cummings66
02-12-2008, 08:23
OK, Compudude I'll take that for a fact because I've yet to see those topics discussed by any AOW diver. I know NASE isn't a top agency but I do know those topics are in the manual and you were tested over them.

The major difference between the handout of NWGratefulDiver (which I have) and NASE is that NASE teaches the values only in PSIM unlike the handout which goes into volume in cf. The terms are different as well which is why a long time ago you told me in a thread here you'd never heard of SCR. I used that term because it's what I was taught in AOW. CRAD which I didn't use is simple to get, consumption rate at depth. Outside of NASE I've never heard of that term, anywhere.

However, gas management aside which they do, do the other agencies teach any physics or is it just a give me. I'm talking about what's in the manual, what they need to teach as a minimum?

The reason I'm asking is many assume it's only the instructor of which Robert is probably one of the best out there and goes well beyond the material, rare. I think it's mainly instructor as well, but I do recognize that certain programs do go beyond the minimum for the standards and you would get a better class if you took their brand and had them as an instructor. Take YMCA, at a minimum you'll do more in that class than you will in a Padi class. Take a Naui course and you'll do more there as well, but that's dependant on the instructor teaching to the standards.

To be honest, NASE rescue is more in depth than Padi (and I say that having taken the Padi version, and having seen the NASE versions textbook). In that case I took Padi because I knew the instructor went beyond the standards.

In the end, I would like to know what kind of classroom work is there? Navigation is a given, Deep is a given, but what do they teach to do those is what I'm getting at.

cummings66
02-12-2008, 08:44
To clarify something for the OP. I think for OW agencies really don't matter, but I do believe that once you're done there they do matter if and only if the instructor teaches strictly to the standards of the agency. If they go beyond then it can nullify the differences.

For what it's worth, my Padi OW instructor went beyond the standards and taught us things like how to get out of entanglements, etc. Many don't mention that subject and it's important IMO to know. Lakes are full of things to get stuck on.

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 09:07
To clarify something for the OP. I think for OW agencies really don't matter, but I do believe that once you're done there they do matter if and only if the instructor teaches strictly to the standards of the agency. If they go beyond then it can nullify the differences.

For what it's worth, my Padi OW instructor went beyond the standards and taught us things like how to get out of entanglements, etc. Many don't mention that subject and it's important IMO to know. Lakes are full of things to get stuck on.
Mine didn't, but it was a highschool class. He had a hard enough time teaching everything and watching to make sure no one got hurt screwing around. He did a great job! Fun times!

Kingpatzer
02-12-2008, 10:01
There are some courses where agency does matter.

Once you get into the instructor ranks, you can't flip agencies without a minimum of taking a written test, and sometimes more (it depends on inter-agency agreements which change from time to time.)

The other one that I think there is a clear winner in is Master Diver. The clear winner here is the NAUI course. It is basically a DM course without the instruction elements, and it is really an excellent course that simply has no equivalent in the PADI world (not sure about the other agencies).

cummings66
02-12-2008, 18:07
I was talking to some master divers, non Padi and non Naui and it was the same deal as Padi, some number of specialities and pay your money and you get the card. All I can remember for sure is it wasn't Padi nor Naui.

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 18:20
I have a PADI Master Diver rating....and don't think it was a waste of money particularly..... nor should divers wishing to work towards that goal be discouraged in doing so by others who have differing ideas and opinions....I read and hear reference to this on occasion. Just my .02 :)

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 19:11
It would be VERY interesting sometime to sit down with a pile of books (and instructor manuals, since the student books don't hold the materials you should receive from the lectures) from all three major certification agencies (referring to the biggest three in the US... if the third place is not SSI, it's news to me and someone please enlighten us!): NAUI, PADI, and SSI. Then a spreadsheet of all the major points that are hit and/or missed in each agency.

But I don't see anyone voluntarily taking that task on...

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 19:13
I have a PADI Master Diver rating....and don't think it was a waste of money particularly..... nor should divers wishing to work towards that goal be discouraged in doing so by others who have differing ideas and opinions....I read and hear reference to this on occasion. Just my .02 :)

Aside from incentive to take the specialties in the first place (which is not a bad thing) and a shiny card, what exactly did you gain from your PADI MSD rating (other than a lightened wallet) that you would not have already had simply by taking the 5 specialty courses?

I have MSD also. I did it as a favor to an instructor friend who wanted to add the cert to her numbers towards the next instructor level.

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 19:42

Aside from incentive to take the specialties in the first place (which is not a bad thing) and a shiny card, what exactly did you gain from your PADI MSD rating (other than a lightened wallet) that you would not have already had simply by taking the 5 specialty courses?

I have MSD also. I did it as a favor to an instructor friend who wanted to add the cert to her numbers towards the next instructor level.

Comp,, I sorta did it for a similar reason at the time,,,,but since see more the value in the sense of accomplishment for some individuals for their efforts. After completing the certf. I went onto Divemaster training. I do believe the Master Diver rating is a goal for some divers and sorta the carrot at the end of the line of required prior courses/specialties....never a bad thing in the end.

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 19:59

Comp,, I sorta did it for a similar reason at the time,,,,but since see more the value in the sense of accomplishment for some individuals for their efforts. After completing the certf. I went onto Divemaster training. I do believe the Master Diver rating is a goal for some divers and sorta the carrot at the end of the line of required prior courses/specialties....never a bad thing in the end.

The problem I have with it (and yes, we both know this has been rehashed to death elsewhere) is that there actually is no accomplishment that hasn't already happened. 5 specialties is great. No problem there. But after 5 you get to spend an extra $35 and get another card? You get the accomplishment of knowing how to lick a stamp and spend $35.41? (about to be $35.42 when the next postal rate hikes kick in shortly)

With NAUI's MSD class, there is a REAL accomplishment. I just don't see anything other than lining PADI's pockets for their version of MSD. And while I don't know for sure, it sounds like SSI's may be similar to PADI's.

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 20:09

The problem I have with it (and yes, we both know this has been rehashed to death elsewhere) is that there actually is no accomplishment that hasn't already happened. 5 specialties is great. No problem there. But after 5 you get to spend an extra $35 and get another card? You get the accomplishment of knowing how to lick a stamp and spend $35.41? (about to be $35.42 when the next postal rate hikes kick in shortly)

With NAUI's MSD class, there is a REAL accomplishment. I just don't see anything other than lining PADI's pockets for their version of MSD. And while I don't know for sure, it sounds like SSI's may be similar to PADI's.

Yep its been hashed out probably million times now--lol. Two differing views as happens so many times in our sport regarding training and agencies....and thats ok as we all have our opinions. DAN has the same type program available with their DAN Diving Emergency Specialist recognition, of which I have in my portfolio....they have seen the value in recognition for efforts....and they are a non-profit organization. PADI designed the Master Diver program mainly for folks not wishing to go Pro...and offering them a special recognition of their recreational training to that point.

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 20:15
Yep its been hashed out probably million times now--lol. Two differing views as happens so many times in our sport regarding training and agencies....and thats ok as we all have our opinions. DAN has the same type program available with their DAN Diving Emergency Specialist recognition, of which I have in my portfolio....they have seen the value in recognition for efforts....and they are a non-profit organization. PADI designed the Master Diver program mainly for folks not wishing to go Pro...and offering them a special recognition of their recreational training to that point.

Interesting comparison to DAN's program, I hadn't thought of that before.

But DAN doesn't charge you to give you that title... they reward you automatically after you have taken the requisite courses.

And honestly, I think the title DAN awards is more deserved than the title PADI awards. While there are exceptions, I'd bet cash that there are an awful lot of people out there with BS specialties like "Fish ID" (let alone any of the distinctive specialties, like the one where they promote HydroOptix masks for a couple of hours and hand you a card) that they took just so they could be a "Master" scuba diver. None of DAN's courses going into their DES rating are fluff.

Perhaps NAUI should re-name their Master program, since it's obviously the odd duck out.

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 20:35

Interesting comparison to DAN's program, I hadn't thought of that before.

But DAN doesn't charge you to give you that title... they reward you automatically after you have taken the requisite courses.

And honestly, I think the title DAN awards is more deserved than the title PADI awards. While there are exceptions, I'd bet cash that there are an awful lot of people out there with BS specialties like "Fish ID" (let alone any of the distinctive specialties, like the one where they promote HydroOptix masks for a couple of hours and hand you a card) that they took just so they could be a "Master" scuba diver. None of DAN's courses going into their DES rating are fluff.

Perhaps NAUI should re-name their Master program, since it's obviously the odd duck out.

Actually DAN does 'charge' a fee for the DES recognition.

I certainly have met and dove with NAUI Master Divers that did not know their 'flippers from their goggles'...there is a university NAUI program in my area that turns out Master Divers by the truck load and more than a few are clueless to scuba! Good training---hmmm...not in my book.

The point is EVERY agency has short comings/positives in their courses and recognitions and certf's..

Grizbear98
02-12-2008, 20:48
I took a PADI OW course and most of my courses will probably be from PADI just because of the person who teaches it. I can take some of them for university credit and not have to pay additional fees, which is reaaaaaly nice. (tuition covers it) But I had a hard time with my OW and the teacher I had was really patient and worked with me, it also helps that they are my faculty adviser, but I got through and feel confident about it now

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 20:54
I took a PADI OW course and most of my courses will probably be from PADI just because of the person who teaches it. I can take some of them for university credit and not have to pay additional fees, which is reaaaaaly nice. (tuition covers it) But I had a hard time with my OW and the teacher I had was really patient and worked with me, it also helps that they are my faculty adviser, but I got through and feel confident about it now

Sounds like you used your head and made a smart choice!

PADI is really a great organization for providing the tools and opts. to divers to get started and continue their skills.....you will ALWAYS find folks knocking them for this reason or that....'what ever' floats their boat.

Take it from a fellow that has more than a few dives and cetfc. levels from different training agencies....each has its goods/bads.....the important thing is you learn the selected course materials and enjoy the programs when you are going through the training and become a better and more skilled diver in the end.

Have fun in your continued scuba career and have be safe!!

:)

Grizbear98
02-12-2008, 22:38
I'm getting a few of my advanced dives done while I'm in Belize, more PADI!

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 22:41
I'm getting a few of my advanced dives done while I'm in Belize, more PADI!

Never been to Belize :( ...please give a trip report when you can!!

Firefyter
02-12-2008, 23:38
It would be VERY interesting sometime to sit down with a pile of books (and instructor manuals, since the student books don't hold the materials you should receive from the lectures) from all three major certification agencies (referring to the biggest three in the US... if the third place is not SSI, it's news to me and someone please enlighten us!): NAUI, PADI, and SSI. Then a spreadsheet of all the major points that are hit and/or missed in each agency.

But I don't see anyone voluntarily taking that task on...

Actually, Walter from Scubaboard did it. PADI was so displeased with it that they sued him in a long drawn out court battle. Walter eventually won the suit. He wasn't bashing PADI, just pointing out the differences in the agencies. PADI and their die hard fans thought otherwise, but the courts sided with Walter.

My take on it is this. Yes, there are differences in the agencies. Each prospective student should learn the differences and decide what's best for them. The saying "It's not the agency, it's the instructor" is only the case if one of the instructors is not doing his job properly. If both instructors are at the top of their game, there are most certainly differences. Only the student can determine just how much those differences count. It's all up to you and what your expectations are.

marchand
02-13-2008, 00:03
Any chance you have a link to the comparison that Walter did?

Oh look, I have 250 posts! yippee!

Firefyter
02-13-2008, 00:19

Diverlink - Comparison of Agency Standards for Open Water Training (http://diver.net/capture/diverlink.com./newdiver/agencycomparison.htm)

Ryanh1801
02-13-2008, 00:43

Diverlink - Comparison of Agency Standards for Open Water Training (http://diver.net/capture/diverlink.com./newdiver/agencycomparison.htm)

Humm interesting, a lot of the things it says no for on NAUI, we did have to do in my OW class.

ReefHound
02-13-2008, 00:54

Humm interesting, a lot of the things it says no for on NAUI, we did have to do in my OW class.

That's what people mean when they say the instructor teaches beyond the course.

CompuDude
02-13-2008, 01:15

Great, thanks!

ia2189
03-04-2008, 10:49
I agree with the whole choose an instructor, not an agency. My wife and I went with a place that offered both PADI and NAUI certification. They steered us to NAUI, but probably because it costs them less and us the same. We had the same classroom instructor and different pool instructor every time we went. It was not a good learning environment and PADI and NAUI had nothing to do with it. We ended up applying what we had learned from a resort course for the pool sessions. The test was open book so some people really didn't learn anything. Needless to say, we won't be using them for the advanced course.

wolfen42
03-17-2008, 16:11

That's what people mean when they say the instructor teaches beyond the course.

Of course, we just started PADI training and some of the things it says PADI doesn't mention/emphasize are definitely in the PADI student manuals now.

So I guess having a comparison published had a positive effect on course materials at least... :)

MicahEW
03-17-2008, 18:20
I went with NAUI the place that I found had a great price I got cert+EANx with check dives for $600