PDA

View Full Version : Thermoprene 5mm wetsuit buoyancy?

Roggen
02-10-2008, 10:52
Does anyone know approximately how much weight it takes to sink a women's Henderson Thermoprene 5mm wetsuit (that is, how buoyant the suit is) in fresh water?

I don't readily have access to a pool or open lake to try it out, and would like to get a general idea before I head to Florida next month.

Thanks!

texdiveguy
02-10-2008, 12:03
FYI............

http://i30.tinypic.com/2927nnb.jpg

Roggen
02-10-2008, 12:26
Thanks, that is very helpful. I had seen that in another post and will use it as a general guideline (actually printed it out for future use).

I am still hoping someone who uses the women's 5mm Thermoprene might have a more specific #.

BuzzF117
02-10-2008, 15:01
Thanks, that is very helpful. I had seen that in another post and will use it as a general guideline (actually printed it out for future use).

I am still hoping someone who uses the women's 5mm Thermoprene might have a more specific #.

FYI a person with the same weight as you may carry more or less weight then you depending on body mass. Remember muscle is more dense then fat so it sinks. Ladies tend to be more bouyant then men of same weight so be prepared to add or subtract a little weight from you initial calculations.

nuf said
Buzz

Damselfish
02-10-2008, 15:22
yes, but if you know what you need with no wetsuit for instance, then knowing the specific number for a given wetsuit is helpful.

ReefHound
02-10-2008, 18:32
Note the guidelines tex gave were for total weighting requirements. I think they sound rather high, too. I'm 200# and NOT a bundle of muscle but I use 10# with my 5mm full suit with 2mm vested hood and 2mm gloves.

Why not just fill up a big bucket of water, fold the suit up and see how much weight to keep it from floating up? Not exactly precise but probably closer than general guidelines. If you could measure the water displacement you could calculate it exactly.

Roggen
02-10-2008, 18:43
I am not looking to see what someone else uses for weight when wearing it, I am looking for the buoyancy of the suit itself.

If anyone has already done this and would like to share that would be great. If not, then I will try other options like finding a big bucket to sink it in. :)

ReefHound
02-10-2008, 19:04
You would think the manufacturer would list this in the specs. The buoyancy will decrease with depth as the suit compresses and with time as the cells get crushed, but you would think they could say "new, at 10 ffw, +8#" or something.

Roggen
02-11-2008, 03:46
I was thinking the same thing. Is there a compilation anywhere on the inherent buoyancy of wetsuits?

I may try calling the manufacturer and see, though I am not hopeful that they will be able to provide any information.

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 14:00
I think it would be great if the had surface buoyancy ratings on new suits, because all neoprene isn't created equal. As far as crush goes, the buoyancy at depth really wouldn't matter would it?

danielh03
02-15-2008, 00:16
I just bought the mens version the other day, just got it in on Wed. I have yet to get it wet though. It feels different from other neo's tough. I am curious about how warm it will be.

30mpg
07-07-2009, 17:06
You may want to also specify the size wetsuit in question, i.e. S, M, L.

There is significantly more neoprene in XXL than XS for example, perhaps more than twice as much.