PDA

View Full Version : Effect of "Hard Water" on wet suits

robjoubert
02-10-2008, 15:57
Hi all,

I was rinsing out my equipment this morning (after an all night soak) and I noticed the white color our local water has (Southern California) which is a result of all the stuff the water authorities use to purify it.

My question is - do all these chemicals have a negative effect on a wet suit?

Or am I paranoid over nothing? :smiley29:

Thanks

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 16:25
Hi all,

I was rinsing out my equipment this morning (after an all night soak) and I noticed the white color our local water has (Southern California) which is a result of all the stuff the water authorities use to purify it.

My question is - do all these chemicals have a negative effect on a wet suit?

Or am I paranoid over nothing? :smiley29:

Thanks

Thats a good question. I never really thought about it. I'm going to google around and see if I can come up with something. Hopefully someone else knows and will post up an answer soon.

CompuDude
02-11-2008, 20:18
People have been surfing and diving SoCal and washing their suits in the local tap water for a long time now. Don't worry about it. :)

Grizbear98
02-12-2008, 20:04
our water up here has a lot of calcium carbonate in it, it actually fizzes when you turn on the tap! After using a rental for my OW, and really soaking it in there, I didn't notice anything problematic with it.

BuzzGA
02-12-2008, 20:28
Our water is really hard here in S. AZ and so far no problems but I'll be interested to see if there is any info to the contrary out there

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 13:56
We have extremely hard water here too, and I have noticed some white staining on neoprene that doesn't wash out. It doesn't seem to affect it otherwise though.