PDA

View Full Version : carbondioxide

doczerothree
02-11-2008, 10:10
Hey, anybody know what the primary cause of co2 in a cylinder is? I think it's improper or poor maintainance but I'm really just guessing.

SEMPER DEEP

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 10:26
my vote would go for faulty compressor that filled the tank.

cummings66
02-11-2008, 12:13
Operator error would be my guess.

SkuaSeptember
02-11-2008, 17:43
Did you mean carbon monoxide? This would usually result from the compressor intake drawing in the exhaust from a car or furnace or something like that.
If you really meant CO2 then the only likelyhood I can come up with is the bulk gas supplier messing up big time and improperly filling a bottle meant for O2 or helium that was then used to blend for nitrox or trimix. This seems very unlikely.
Also unlikely is someone hooking up an empty scuba tank to a beer or soda keg,opening the valves and letting it reach equilibrium at around 15psi.

doczerothree
02-11-2008, 17:44
Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate you input.

SEMPER DEEP

doczerothree
02-11-2008, 17:47
Thanks for your response. co2 is the problem.

SEMPER DEEP

SkuaSeptember
02-11-2008, 17:56
I'm curious. Is this a problem with just one tank or with multiple tanks and how did evidence of CO2 show up?

doczerothree
02-11-2008, 18:01
SKUA,
This was a test question for my trimix class and to be honest I have no clue why it was asked.

SEMPER DEEP

hoobascooba
02-11-2008, 18:08
could it be possible that it was filled with co2 for paintball use?

lol.

I don't know either...

SkuaSeptember
02-11-2008, 18:14
When you get the results back please post the answer!

cummings66
02-11-2008, 18:56
Here's what I meant by operator error. First we know that Carbon dioxide is generated as a byproduct of the combustion fossil fuels, second we know that during a hot fill it's possible for the Oxygen to cause the oils (assuming there are any) in the tank to combust, third Carbon monoxide forms in preference to the more usual carbon dioxide when there is a reduced availability of oxygen present during the combustion process.

Adding that up I'd say you may get CO2 in the tank during a hot fill with O2 because we have lots of Oxygen which should mean that Carbon Monoxide will not form.

How's that for expounding on the operator error answer I gave, since you needed a better than that for the class answer.

texdiveguy
02-11-2008, 19:40
OP.... curious, which agency had a question in a trimix course exam regarding CO2 being present in a scuba cylinder??

Puffer Fish
02-12-2008, 09:52
Interesting question and responses.

The causes are fairly easy to define:

1. Intake air
2. Compressor
3. Chemical reaction with O2 and oxidizable material z(usually when hot)

But which is more common? I hate non- detailed, non-specific questions. How much? (low levels have a lot more options.). What type of compressor?

As I doubt there is time or room for a 10 page review of all the possible combinations, I would bet this is a canned answer in the text somewhere, or presented in the class.

texdiveguy
02-12-2008, 10:11
I have thought back to both my major written exams for my 'TDI' Basic Trimix and Advanced Trimix level certfs. and I don't recall this type of question appearing on those exams (?....course they were extensive and maybe I have just forgot it appearing on one)....will be interested in the OP's agency and test results to his original thread question.

doczerothree
02-13-2008, 15:52
will do.

doczerothree
02-14-2008, 18:52
Skua and all. got together with the instructor on the co2. It's a typo guys should read: What is the primary cause of co in a cylinder. Thanks to all for you input.

SEMPER DEEP

DRNightdiver
02-14-2008, 19:01
CO......Now that makes the original question much easier to answer. Although I did enjoy the responses to CO2 much better.

SHAGGY
02-14-2008, 19:29
Ok,... I can somewhat answer that in very general terms for ya since I just picked up my Bauer Junior II Compressor today and they explained that very thing on the lil instruction that the dealer gave on its safe opperation. Basically,... in most cases the filter will filter out the very deadly carbon monoxide and turn it into CO2. This is true in the Bauer filter that we have. This only will occur typically when the filter hasnt been changed or there is some type of problem in the filtration system, but the media in the filter is what converts it.

shaggy

texdiveguy
02-14-2008, 21:02
Skua and all. got together with the instructor on the co2. It's a typo guys should read: What is the primary cause of co in a cylinder. Thanks to all for you input.

SEMPER DEEP

Ha,,,the old typo trick!!

SkuaSeptember
02-15-2008, 14:21
I hate when that happens.

doczerothree
02-21-2008, 15:54
Skua,

CO2 was a miss print. "CO" is what the question should have read. I posted this last week but didn't see it today so......

thanks again for your input,

SEMPER DEEP

doczerothree
02-21-2008, 15:56
TDI, but NO reflection on those guys

doczerothree
02-21-2008, 16:02
Hey, I'm a tadpole..... Isn't there some kind of ceremony.... certificate maybe. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL