PDA

View Full Version : Am I hardcore

cummings66
02-11-2008, 12:22
Today it's 9 degree's outside, a bit of sleet and I'm waiting for my dive buddy to call me and let me know if he's over his cold so we can go diving. He'll only dive if he's 100%, but, am I addicted to diving or what?

hoobascooba
02-11-2008, 12:35
Today it's 9 degree's outside, a bit of sleet and I'm waiting for my dive buddy to call me and let me know if he's over his cold so we can go diving. He'll only dive if he's 100%, but, am I addicted to diving or what?

or what.

cuz if you were THAT addicted to diving, you'd be diving solo...

KGNickl
02-11-2008, 12:45
I would cast my vote for "Yes".

ianr33
02-11-2008, 12:51
You're a loony :smiley36:

Think
02-11-2008, 12:53
that's pretty hardcore in my book.

DarinMartell
02-11-2008, 12:59

9 degrees? So what, are you having a heatwave? I WISH it where nine degrees!

Ryanh1801
02-11-2008, 13:08
Only if your diving wet.:smilie40:

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-11-2008, 14:24
Only if your diving wet.:smilie40:

I actually know a guy who did ice diving in a wetsuit, I couldn't believe the story at first. I think anyone who dives below 40 degrees is hardcore.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-11-2008, 15:22
Some people would say yes; but I agree with you! :smilie39::smiley29:

SkuaSeptember
02-11-2008, 16:22
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.:smiley20:

snagel
02-11-2008, 16:43
Let's see.....you're diving in 9 degree weather with sleet and ice coming down (I know, I'm just down the highway from you). You have over 2,000 posts; which means, you are on the forum daily. You always seem to have a very logical answer to most questions concerning diving and you are the first to typically jump in your truck to check out a rumor of a new dive site.

Do you breathe air or water?

S. Nagel

in_cavediver
02-11-2008, 17:00
OK, your nuts. If it makes you feel better, lots of us are nuts too! All I need is a good reason to go an see something.

There is one advantage though to diving now, no parking issues at the quarry and very few other divers to muck things up.

603doug
02-11-2008, 17:24
That temp is when the evinrude runs it best. Plus no one to bother you. Nothing like a 30 kt wind blowing across your face to make the water feel warm. I am stupid but I still dive dry,my dive partner dives wet. I am not certain that is hardcore or we are not very bright.
Hope your dive went well

CompuDude
02-11-2008, 17:28
I've done dives when it was that cold, but they weren't as fun as the warmer ones. I prefer it to be at least 50 for shore dives... boat dives I can handle a little cooler.

Of course, living in SoCal, I have the option of waiting a few days on the rare occasion the mercury drops that low, and then it's warmer. If I lived in your neck of the woods and it was "dive in freezing temps or wait for spring" I might be joining you. ;)

So meanwhile, yes, you're hardcore. But not nuts. (I reserve that label since I might be in the same boat someday!)

cummings66
02-11-2008, 18:44
The most uncomfortable I've ever been was on a day with sleet coming down doing a boat dive. The cold water, I guess the air was pretty saturated due to the sleet, but with that and the water I was miserable until I got in, then all was good with the world.

I love to dive, wish I could do it more but you've got to earn the money to dive...

IMO as long as it's safe I'll dive, or if I think I can get back out from where I drive I'll go. I'll call a dive if there's more risk to it than I'm comfortable, so if the loonies are out in force I'll stay home where it's warm. No reason to risk an accident for fun.

To be honest, the best visibility in our lakes is while it's cold like this. No algae bloom or other growing things to disturb it, very few divers out enjoying it so you have the run of the place, so to speak.

As to when I dive, weekends mostly. After the time change I'm going to figure a way to carry my doubles by foot about a tenth of a mile. That's too far to walk with that much weight and enjoy anything, but if I can rig a wheel barrow or something I'll dive more locally.

The park ruined the entrance to the local quarry I dive and now it's nothing but much and 0 vis. I think the other end will be fine though.

navyhmc
02-11-2008, 23:35
Hardcore? future historians will decide.

I will say this: I can't wait to go diving at Norfork!

BTW, pm heading your way.

cummings66
02-12-2008, 07:08
OK, we'll get some good diving in I'm sure. I've read a lot about Norfork and it has lots of things to offer so I'm sure we'll have stuff to keep busy with.

Got the PM by the way.

mm_dm
02-12-2008, 07:54
I was miserable until I got in, then all was good with the world.

I think I may have them carve something like this on my tombstone when that day comes. Fine words to live by.

One of my favorite things to say when we pull up to the dive site this time of year is, "Check it out! Can you believe we have the whole place to ourselves?"

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 08:08
I just changed my vote to "no" your not hardcore after looking through the Chuck Norris thread.