PDA

View Full Version : weddings

gthomas
02-11-2008, 16:01
My son wants to get married on a beach somewere in Mexico. They have just started looking at differant locations and I thought maybe some of you might have a some suggestions.

Suther2136
02-11-2008, 19:47
Try one of the inclusive resorts, might make the bar tab a breeze.

Osprey
02-12-2008, 08:13
Go to your local book store, they ALWAYS have a magazine or 3 about exotic wedding destinations and who to book through based on the best deals and lovely locations. They usually list ones based on several preferences as well, such as quiet get-away or a busier joint for those who like to party.

MicahEW
02-12-2008, 08:25
My fiance and I were thinking of doing that. before we changed the location the Sandals resort was the best that we found.

Osprey
02-12-2008, 08:59
We are looking at Sandals as well :)

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 09:09
Try one of the inclusive resorts, might make the bar tab a breeze.
I have been told all inclusive in the only way to go for this type of event. Since normally you pay for some of your direct family to go, but everyone else you give them the option of coming but they pay. It is better to say the cost will be $x vs. saying plane will be $x, hotel will be $x, food will be about $x, etc.... etc....

I also know a couple people I work with who have done this for a second wedding and don't care about the big/classic wedding setting (been there/done that mentality....) and invite 2-3 close friends each and bring parents along and thats it.

thor
02-12-2008, 09:24
I know you said Mexico, but I recently went to a small wedding in the DR at this place and it was incredible.

Paradisus Palma Real | All Inclusive Dominican Republic Resort | Punta Cana Hotel (http://www.paradisuspalmareal.travel/)

WAHMof2
02-12-2008, 11:17
Don't forget that everyone will need passports. That could require a lot of planning ahead if you're inviting a lot of people.

(or was that too obvious to post? :smiley36:)

Athena2c
02-12-2008, 22:03
My husband and I got married in an AI just south of Playa Del Carmen. It was perfect and I would highly recommend this type of wedding to anyone!!:smiley20:

We had a great time with family members all week, did some diving, and then had the most perfect wedding while barefoot on the beach. Unfortunately, the resort we used (Club Maeva Tulum) has been bought by Palace and is being redone, so I don't know what it is like now (in fact, I don't even think it is reopened yet). But when we were researching a place, we found many resorts in the PDC area that seemed great, so your son should check out that area.

gthomas
02-26-2008, 11:08
Thanks for your ideas, Right now we need all the help we can get.

rye_a
02-26-2008, 11:16
Go for the Royal (http://www.realresorts.com) in Playa Del Carmen. Nice all-inclusive right in town.

Chocoholic
02-26-2008, 12:37
I saw two different weddings at the little place we stayed at. They were gorgeous, it can be an all inclusive or not. Omni Beach resort in Puerto Aventuras, 60 mins south of Cancun.

Chocoholic
02-26-2008, 12:52
There are several condos available and a couple other hotels or resorts close by that people could choose to go expensive or not all within walking distance.

RonFrank
02-26-2008, 13:01
I shot a wedding in Coz last year. The couple did not do an all-inclusive, and it turned out well. They had maybe 35 guests, and from all over the world.

I think it depends a lot on your expectations, what you want to pay (or are willing to pay), and what your family and friends are willing to pay.

If you can sell it to the FAM/Friends as a vacation, they may not mind paying. If they see it as an obligation, and just an additional expense to go somewhere they really did not plan on visiting, that could rub some the wrong way.

In MX, you will have to hire a wedding coordinator. It's like a Law or something (seriously). I was hired as an outside vendor (photographer), but there seems to be restrictions on what one can or can not do, at least in Coz.

There are a lot of rules and legal issues about getting married in MX. You want to make sure it's legit. Court documents need to be filed, and on time. This is one reason the coordinate is required. They know the local legal issues, time frames, and deadlines, and will make sure all is handled in a legal fashion.

If you are considering a very small wedding, than maybe a resort that specializes in package weddings is the way to go. If you want to just get married someplace cool, and combine it with the Honeymoon and have a reasonable number of guests, I think exploring options is wise.

I have no clue what the couple I worked for paid. But things are less expensive in MX, so maybe not as much as one might think.

FOUNDATIONER
02-26-2008, 13:58
The Queen and I were married on the beach at Sandals Negril.
She absolutely loved it and even from a guys perspective it
was pretty cool. She spent the day in the spa with the girls
getting ready and us guys went diving. Wedding was at 4:30 in
the afternoon which made for excellent post wedding sunset pics
in color and b&w. (I love the b&w photos). Highly recommended.

Athena2c
02-26-2008, 16:09
In MX, you will have to hire a wedding coordinator. It's like a Law or something (seriously). I was hired as an outside vendor (photographer), but there seems to be restrictions on what one can or can not do, at least in Coz.

There are a lot of rules and legal issues about getting married in MX. You want to make sure it's legit. Court documents need to be filed, and on time. This is one reason the coordinate is required. They know the local legal issues, time frames, and deadlines, and will make sure all is handled in a legal fashion.

I have no clue what the couple I worked for paid. But things are less expensive in MX, so maybe not as much as one might think.

I'm not sure if it is different in Coz, but we did not have to hire a wedding coordinator, and in all my reseach on weddings in Mexico, I did not come across any information that one would have to do so.

The legal stuff really isn't that complicated. The couple to be married and their 4 witnesses have to be in Mexico at least 3 days before the wedding, and the couple have to get blood tests in Mexico. Other than that, we just had to have our passports. The ceremony does have to be done by a Judge to be legal in Mexico. The marriage is fully recognized and legal in the US, and I just used my Mexican marriage certificate to change my name, get a new passport, etc (it is in Spanish, so if you are in a town where there is unlikely to be Spanish speakers at the DMV and Soc Security office to translate, you may run into issues. It wasn't a problem in our area).

and believe me-my sister got married the same year as me-and my wedding with travel and everything was MUCH cheaper!

Please feel free to PM me with any questions-I did A LOT of research before our wedding :smiley2:

Another spot I looked at was Isla Mujeres (island off of Cancun)

RonFrank
02-26-2008, 18:27
I'm not sure if it is different in Coz, but we did not have to hire a wedding coordinator, and in all my reseach on weddings in Mexico, I did not come across any information that one would have to do so.

I was just quoting what I was told, so I could have it wrong! I know the wedding coordinator Ran through about five different examples of legal issues, getting married in Coz. The rules are different if one is on a Cruise for example and wanting to get married when on the island.

It may have also been different because the couple that was married were NOT US citizens, they were from OZ.

I've shot a lot of weddings over the years (not so much any more). IMO it maybe worth getting a coordinator if your event involves more than a handful of people. Handling out of town arrangements is a PITA, especially if half the vendors don't speak English as a first language. In Coz, and and many destination resorts, the locals speak English better than most Mexicans living in the US!

If it's just a couple and a few family members or friends, than the planning is not difficult, but I still think doing a package deal make things a lot more stress free. I've seen a LOT of BrideZillas in my time, and most of those were just planning their weddings locally! :smiley2:

maggs_the
02-26-2008, 19:15
My husband and I got married in an AI just south of Playa Del Carmen. It was perfect and I would highly recommend this type of wedding to anyone!!:smiley20:

We had a great time with family members all week, did some diving, and then had the most perfect wedding while barefoot on the beach. Unfortunately, the resort we used (Club Maeva Tulum) has been bought by Palace and is being redone, so I don't know what it is like now (in fact, I don't even think it is reopened yet). But when we were researching a place, we found many resorts in the PDC area that seemed great, so your son should check out that area.

i saw the pictures and it was a beautiful wedding

mitsuguy
02-26-2008, 21:53
we thought about the destination wedding as well... ended up not as many people could go as we wanted, so we ended up getting married on a cruise ship just before it left port in Galveston.... very pretty wedding, and much more doable for those of us who have family who are not as willing to travel...

not trying to change your mind, but giving you one more option... and, on top of everything, it was way cheaper and there was way less red tape to wade through...

TX1Chica
02-27-2008, 09:18
This is my sister asking the question. I am glad she is asking on the dive forum. Because I would be a lot more apt to go to the wedding if its some place that had good diving:). About half of our family dive and most have passports already.
I wonder what the bride would think about Bonaire:smiley2:

caroln
02-28-2008, 09:57
My cousin is getting married this summer at Dreams in Cancun. Cancun wouldn't necessarily be my top choice because I prefer further down the coast, but anywhere on the Yucatan penninsula is a great location really because of the huge variety of things to do for guests, and the availability of direct flights from a lot of places. Cancun is convenient because of the airport right there, so I can see that being good for a larger number of guests too.

Most of the hotels have info on their own websites about weddings, and theknot.com has a pretty good destination wedding section too.

divingyogini
02-28-2008, 11:25
We got married in Sint Maarten, in part because the laws there were among the easiest in the Caribbean, and also in part because Club Orient on the French side was a wonderful place to spend part of our honeymoon.

We did not go the all inclusive package because frankly the wedding coordinators we looked at have a system, and if you don't fit into their cookie-cutter assembly-line mold of what a wedding should be, there's some conflict. We did most of the planning ourselves, including the reception dinner, the "rehearsal" dinner the night before and a group sailing trip.

That being said, you will want to find a local coordinator who can arrange the legal paperwork.

One thing we did wrong was we allowed people to stay anywhere on the island. That was a challenge. We should have put them all in a hotel on the same beach as us for simplicity.

Also, be prepared for a small number of guests. We had just under 20 people total, which was a perfect size for us, but disappointing to some brides. My brother was going to get married in Hawaii and his fiancee had a fantasy that 150 people would all be able to take time off and fly there for the wedding. They ended up bagging on the idea so they could have a big wedding.

I'll share my photos too, since I like to brag: Kimberlee and Todd really did it! (http://isiseyemedia.com/wedding/)