PDA

View Full Version : ipod??

paintballindivr
07-29-2007, 16:16
Has/Does anyone dive with an underwater ipod case and listen as they dive. I have been debating on getting one.

plot
07-29-2007, 16:51
i wouldnt think you could hear it that great...

paintballindivr
07-29-2007, 16:56
well it comes wit water proof headphones so

plot
07-29-2007, 17:03
how do you clear your ears?

fire diver
07-29-2007, 17:15
I can't see a set of UW earbuds interfering with clearing your ears.

plot
07-29-2007, 17:36
Somebody needs to try it and tell us. :D

I just don't think it'd sound that good...

paintballindivr
07-29-2007, 17:36
ya they say that you cando all that with them in

ScubaToys Larry
07-29-2007, 17:39
We had some underwater MP3 players - but they were kinda' expensive and not too popular. We also had / have some iPod cases, but they are only rated for about 10 feet. Really used for people that are swimming laps and not diving.

paintballindivr
07-29-2007, 17:42
ooo ok I was just wondering if they were any good

picxie
07-30-2007, 03:59
I don't think I'd like to dive with music. I dive to get some peace and quiet and get away from life, so I wouldn't want to bring music into that environment.

If I was swimming laps though, that would be ideal!

3rdEye
07-30-2007, 10:18
nah....that would ruin the dive experience for me.....i like the quiet

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 12:20
i think it would sound crummy... just from experience.
i was in a pool that had speakers underwater, and everything sounded crappy.

loudgonzo
07-30-2007, 12:51
what's next? underwater cell phones? One of the things that I love about diving is that it's just me and my thoughts, no outside distractions.

CompuDude
07-30-2007, 14:25
The UW iPod cases are great for laps, but as others observed:

1) I wouldn't want to interfere with the natural sounds of the ocean; and

2) The iPod cases aren't rated for serious depths (10' is barely ok for snorkeling if you never dive down!)

There was one company that made a small waterproof player that used flash memory (no moving parts), I think it was an iRiver. But they discontinued them some time ago.

Personally, the only time I could see using one of them is for entertainment on long deco hangs... that's the only time I'd be sufficiently bored that I'd want a distraction like that.

thesmoothdome
07-30-2007, 15:01
[QUOTE=CompuDude;12226]The UW iPod cases are great for laps, but as others observed:

1) I wouldn't want to interfere with the natural sounds of the ocean; and

QUOTE]

Yeah, but what if you played ocean sounds through the Ipod while you dove? :smilie39: :smashfreakB:

JahJahwarrior
07-30-2007, 15:04
The headphones are like flat plates that sit over your ears and they do not change your clearing habits in any way.

However, the problem is while some manufacturers suggest their case might be good for deeper depths, they don't garuntee it, and won't replace your ipod if/when it floods. Otterbox makes some good cases though, if I were going to try taking my ipod underwater, I'd use one of their cases :)

Idea: Get an Otterbox cases for a first gen shuffle. Then buy a first gen shuffle. You can get one for $30 easily in many places. This way if it floods you only lose $30, and you can sell the case for $15 if you didn't want to buy another shuffle to use with it.

fire diver
07-30-2007, 15:14
Yeah, but what if you played ocean sounds through the Ipod while you dove? :smilie39: :smashfreakB:
Heah, heah.... play some whale songs and see if anyone else hears it and talks about it after the dive.

FD

paintballindivr
07-30-2007, 20:06
Heah, heah.... play some whale songs and see if anyone else hears it and talks about it after the dive.

FD

sounds lik an idea hahaha

TAH 73
07-30-2007, 21:30
what's next? underwater cell phones? One of the things that I love about diving is that it's just me and my thoughts, no outside distractions.

At the diveshop the other day they had waterproof cases for Blackberry's and Treo's.

I was just about sick, and if I saw someone underwater with their Blackberry, I may just knick their airhose.

Moxie
07-30-2007, 22:57

At the diveshop the other day they had waterproof cases for Blackberry's and Treo's.

I was just about sick, and if I saw someone underwater with their Blackberry, I may just knick their airhose.

I can't stand dining with people who won't put away their blackberry much less diving with them.

Krakenn
07-31-2007, 00:06
Oceanic had a unit a couple of years back that was rated to 40m as i recall.

I remember a diver using one when I was diving in Truk at depth. It uses some form of jaw bone??? technique to transfer sound.

I do recall that it was a little sureal to hear music near you when your diving on a war wreck and this diver came too close. I would say that if you are a dweeb and put the volume up too loud to show everyone you have a new toy, you can in fact spoil another persons quiet enjoyment of the area that you are diving.

I dont begrudge peeps having such a device but think about your fellow divers if your diving in a group and the volume.

Krakenn

kevinj1
07-31-2007, 16:17
i would like to try an mp3 or ipod for the experience, but I dont think i would use it on every dive.

CompuDude
07-31-2007, 17:34

Waterproof is a relative term. The vast majority of such cases are only good for a few feet, not for actual scuba diving.

Call reception is blocked by water within the first few feet of water, so don't worry... anyone holding a CrackBerry or Treo underwater is either 1) crying because they just flooded their toy or 2) longing for something to do with it, lacking any signals.

Can you hear me now? ;)

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:17
Dont do it, you need all sences unimpared for yourselph as well as your buddy's sake

ScottZeagle
08-03-2007, 10:43
I would put that song that goes "the albatross and whale, they are my brothers..." on repeat and just keep singing that part while hoping that the whale would actually show up!!!

thor
08-03-2007, 11:04
What about Ipod video? You could listen and watch a movie while you dived and then miss everything.

Black-Gorrilla
08-03-2007, 15:44
What about Ipod video? You could listen and watch a movie while you dived and then miss everything.

sweet.