PDA

View Full Version : There are crabs in my Mussels? Pea Crabs

thor
02-12-2008, 09:12
So my wife and I are eating some green New Zealand Mussels last night and I notice a tiny little female crab in the mussel shell. Five minutes later, she notices one in hers as well. Then I find another crab (male) imbedded in the mussel itself. I've never seen this before. Apparently they are known as pea crabs or oyster crabs, and are now considered parasites (according to the internet.) Anyone ever have this happen, or have seen theses little critters in action?

WV Diver, any thoughts?

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 09:24
Thats enough to ruin dinner. Finding parasites in your food. Yum!

navyhmc
02-12-2008, 09:26
Iy takes a brave man to admit he has crabs - at dinner! :D

Chad
02-12-2008, 09:46
How did they taste?

Crimediver
02-12-2008, 10:02
I find some small crabs in my raw oysters when I shuck 'em, but I eat them as well. Toss em down with some Texas Pete and a cold beer... Makes you strong like a bull !

thor
02-12-2008, 17:51
How did they taste?

Didn't taste them. They looked a little funky. Plus the whole parasite thing.... I should have tasted them. I'm sure they would have tasted like chicken

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 17:56
I just had a thought...

:ttiuwop:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-13-2008, 07:30
How did they taste?

Didn't taste them. They looked a little funky. Plus the whole parasite thing.... I should have tasted them. I'm sure they would have tasted like chicken

So can anyone tell me what chicken tastes like??:smiley5:

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-13-2008, 09:04
How did they taste?

Have you ever wondered if it is the ostrich or the alligator or the pea crab that tastes like chicken, or if it's the chicken that tastes like alligator, ostrich, and pea crab mixed together :smiley29:.

navyhmc
02-13-2008, 10:44
How did they taste?

Kind of a cross between spotted owl and bald eagle. :D

Foo2
02-13-2008, 10:54
So my wife and I are eating some green New Zealand Mussels last night and I notice a tiny little female crab in the mussel shell. Five minutes later, she notices one in hers as well. Then I find another crab (male) imbedded in the mussel itself. I've never seen this before. Apparently they are known as pea crabs or oyster crabs, and are now considered parasites (according to the internet.) Anyone ever have this happen, or have seen theses little critters in action?

WV Diver, any thoughts?

Oh gross! I've never seen that before! Makes me hungry for mussels.:smiley11:

BTW, WV Diver isn't online for the week.

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 11:32
I'm afraid that would totally ruin my appetite!

Pea Crab (http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=9689&rendTypeId=4)

mark44883
02-13-2008, 12:03
ha ha your mussels got crabs lol

Black-Gorrilla
02-13-2008, 12:58
im glad i read this now... after i ate at least 40 mussels today. hurray!!
:sarcasm: