PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Destin

rfb3
02-12-2008, 16:39
I'm going in late May, looking for recomendations on the best dive shops, boat dives, shore dives, Vortex Spring, and Destin jetties, etc..

Thanks in advance!

DarinMartell
02-12-2008, 17:31
I went in November, I dove with Emerald Coast Scuba. I was first looking at Scuba Tech (because their boat looked nicer on the websites) but even up to just a couple of days before they would not commit to taking me out because the boat was only half full. I called Emerald coast and they had a boat for sure so I booked.

The experience was very good. They have a nice, large shop with it's own pool for training (I could be wrong but I think a shop with it's own pool shows a higher level of commitment). When I got to the boat their crew was very friendly and accomadating. The boat had a captain, a deck hand, a dive master, and the owner / instructor all there for about 8 paid divers.

We did two dives, a small limestone reef and a sunken Navy barge. Saw a decent number of fish (not a-lot because they were just getting over a red tide), some interesting corals (my first salt water dives so all coral was interesting!), and learned a-lot about the area. The owner told us how deep water in the Gulf makes a inverted "V" that points right at Destin, we only had to go out a couple of miles to get over 50'. She also mentioned how all of the reefs are limestone and how it used to be dug up and used for aqauriums until they got the practice banned.

I would definitly go with them again.

rfb3
02-13-2008, 09:42
Thanks for the info Darin!

PS - Love JB and especially the Fred Neil song!

UCFKnightDiver
02-13-2008, 11:28
you could shore dive the destin jetties. Also I have heard the new manager of vortex springs is making great improvements

DarinMartell
02-13-2008, 12:10
Thanks for the info Darin!

PS - Love JB and especially the Fred Neil song!

your welcome, Destin was great, it had the nicest beaches I have ever seen. I hope to go back since my boss has a condo on the beach that he let me use.

"Going where the weather suits my clothes" is my ambition, I am from Wisconsin and have been in Chicago for 12 years. I am SICK of our winters. This one has been really bad, normally we get either a-lot of snow or it's really cold. This year it has been BOTH!

rfb3
02-13-2008, 13:02
Darin,
I understand completely as I am origianally from Indiana! I am in Texas now where its a little better... but still not close enough to the blue water for me.

searay250
03-27-2008, 15:30
Go dive the USS Oriskany out of Pensacola - about an hour from Destin..... YouTube - Diving the USS Oriskany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0sDkCrgmfE)

scubasamurai
03-27-2008, 15:51
Go dive the USS Oriskany out of Pensacola - about an hour from Destin..... YouTube - Diving the USS Oriskany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0sDkCrgmfE)

yes do the big "o" but be prepare for a long ride out!! something like 1.5 to 2 hours depends on the boat. so if you get seasick, take your meds!! but the dive is great

CC1020
03-28-2008, 11:03
I have dived with ScubaTech several times, and have found them to be a great dive op.

rfb3
06-05-2008, 12:55
I have dived with ScubaTech several times, and have found them to be a great dive op.

Just a quick follow-up here... The jetties were really cool. About a million crabs on them! The Oriskany had a muddy current down to 35', but then it cleared up very nicely. MBT divers and H2O Below were good to dive with...
I used ScubaTech for my air fills and they were good as well. I'd steer clear of EmeraldCoast Divers. They open in late morning, and they wanted an additional $6 to top off a 20cf pony that needed ~1000psi. ScubaTech topped it off for free. Thanks!

DarinMartell
06-06-2008, 12:10

Just a quick follow-up here... The jetties were really cool. About a million crabs on them! The Oriskany had a muddy current down to 35', but then it cleared up very nicely. MBT divers and H2O Below were good to dive with...
I used ScubaTech for my air fills and they were good as well. I'd steer clear of EmeraldCoast Divers. They open in late morning, and they wanted an additional $6 to top off a 20cf pony that needed ~1000psi. ScubaTech topped it off for free. Thanks!

Glad you had a good time, I will try the Jetties next time down. I am surprised about Emerald Coast, they where open at 7am the day I dove with them.