PDA

View Full Version : Any need to change certification before trip?

Rockhound76
02-13-2008, 06:37
My oldest just turned 15. He has about 15 ocean dives logged to a max depth of 70' on his Jr. Certification (plan was to 60', but we hit a "hole". My fault.)

We are headed to Bonaire in March for Spring Break and we won (yippee) a trip to Grand Cayman for the summer.

Now that he's 15, is there any need to upgrade his NAUI Jr. OW to BASIC (or NITROX) before the trips? We don't plan any really deep dives, and I'm very safety conscious (he's my kid!), but I want to make sure he can go on the dives we select as appropriate, without worrying if he can't because of the "Jr." on his card.

My C-card is 31 yrs. old (NASDS) and in pieces, so I was thinking about taking a NITROX class, if only to get a new card. He could take that class with me, but I also wondered if he could just "order" a BASIC card, since he took the same class as the adults.

He's a very good diver and very cautious.

KGNickl
02-13-2008, 07:43
My oldest just turned 15. He has about 15 ocean dives logged to a max depth of 70' on his Jr. Certification (plan was to 60', but we hit a "hole". My fault.)

We are headed to Bonaire in March for Spring Break and we won (yippee) a trip to Grand Cayman for the summer.

Now that he's 15, is there any need to upgrade his NAUI Jr. OW to BASIC (or NITROX) before the trips? We don't plan any really deep dives, and I'm very safety conscious (he's my kid!), but I want to make sure he can go on the dives we select as appropriate, without worrying if he can't because of the "Jr." on his card.

My C-card is 31 yrs. old (NASDS) and in pieces, so I was thinking about taking a NITROX class, if only to get a new card. He could take that class with me, but I also wondered if he could just "order" a BASIC card, since he took the same class as the adults.

If NAUI is like PADI you should be able to order a replacement card for yourself (PADI charges $$$, not sure about NAUI). NAUI even has a replace lost card button on the website. Your son should be fine w/ the Jr. Certification, he will only be restricted to what the certification says he can do. And that is only a guide since there not really any dive laws saying how deep or what you can do. Its basically what the person or group you go out with are comfortable doing. Or if you two go out alone its what your comfortable wit. Neither of you will able to use Nitrox, which is no big deal unless you want to get more bottom time. But getting Nitrox certified is normally only $100-$150 per person and takes a couple days (most places $50-75 less for the 2nd person since you are family and only need 1 copy of the books and materials).

No Misses
02-13-2008, 10:02
With his Jr OW and the fact that he is 15, he just makes the minimum requirements for Enriched Air Diver Cert (Nitrox).

I am a big fan of Nitrox. It allows me to do 5 or 6 dives per day for multiple days. There is no way that I could do that many dives on air. The surface intervals would be need to be longer or I would have to shorten my dives. yay EAN :-)

CaptainRon
02-13-2008, 20:31

As for your card, I was in the same situation. NASDS is no longer in existance but SSI took over for them. Although old records where destroyed in a fire, you can download a form from their website and by by following the instructions and sending a photocopy of your old card, they will replace it with an SSI card.

Since your son turned 15, it is my understanding that he is automatically considered a regular OW diver now. He can have his card replaced or just keep using the one he has. The "jr" only applies till he turned 15.

As for the limitations on him, I agree with others. Since there is no "law" against diving deeper, it is up to how comfortable you, him, and the divemaster feel. We just got back from Cozumel and my 13 yo daughter was excited because we actually reach 84 ft on one dive. Before the dive, the divemaster, who is also an instructor, said we would start off around 50-60 ft until he watched her and made a determination on the dive depth based on her skill level in the water. She did well so he took us deeper. In my opinion, this is a better way to judge experience than strictly age.

FyVe
02-14-2008, 08:48
If you have the time, Sure, take Nitrox. Why not further your training.
im not too sure how overseas handles the Jr. Card, but it is from an Agency that is accepted world wide. better safe than sorry either way.

Rockhound76
02-14-2008, 10:46
Thanks. We're taking a nitrox class this weekend. He's also signing up for AOW as a school P.E. credit, which should help his skills advance.

I'll be talking to the owner (NAUI) to see if I can get "credit" for AOW, since I still have all of my training logs and about half my dive logs (the last five years are very complete). After talking to the instructor, I'll make a decision on how to proceed. Since I'm now diving with my kid, I want to make sure we are trained/equipped the same way.

In the past, i just made solo dives or went diving with buddies I've know for years and years. I have new responsibilities, I need new skills.

Scubling
04-07-2008, 14:33
Well if your planing to dive for a long time or a deep depths you should try to get nitrox certified. But if your planing to just a 50-60 ft dive for like 40 mins. you should be fine!!

Largo
04-07-2008, 14:42
NAUI's toll free number is: 800-553-6284

I do not believe that NAUI charges anything to upgrade from Junior Diver to Scuba Diver.

Rockhound76
04-10-2008, 07:59
Just a note: My son and I took a Nitrox class before our trip to Bonaire. Thanks for all the great advice.

The trip went great and there were no C-card issues. We were only doing two dives a day and staying well within the limits, so we stayed on air.

He had his Jr. (air) card, but nothing was said once we told them he was 15. I don't think he thought to pull out his nitrox card. Most of the dives we made were in the 70-90' range and some were off the shops boats.

He's hooked, btw. The diving was fantastic.

CaptainRon
04-10-2008, 10:09
Have any pictures to post?

Rockhound76
04-15-2008, 13:34
Some photos of the kid...more at the link: http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/?action=view&current=8ade4e02.pbw (http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/?action=view&current=8ade4e02.pbw)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/1426-R1-17-1A-1.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/1431-R1-05-18A_edited-2-1.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/1432-R1-24-1_edited-1-1.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/rockhound76/Bonaire%202008/1432-R1-14-11_edited-1-1.jpg

Sounder
04-15-2008, 16:34
Being DIR myself, we've got a rule that says everything is clipped off and tucked away neatly and streamlined.

I'd just like to point out how nice it is to see pictures of a traditional-style (non-DIR) diver who has his regulators, computer and guages, lights, etc. all tucked away neatly. I can't stand it when I see regs, consoles, lights, SMBs, and who knows what else trailing behind, above, or below the diver.

Kudos to the kid for keeping everything where it belongs!! :smiley32:
(at least it looks like everything is tied down...hope I'm right)

Rockhound76
04-15-2008, 21:19
Thanks. I'll make sure he knows someone noticed. He is very particular with his setup. In one shot, with the big sponge, you can see his belt and crotch strap was too loose. He fixed that on the next dive.

I was very pleased with his bouyancy control on this trip. He was a bit light weighting-wise at the end of his dives, but I think he was within a pound of where he needed to be....

Btw, he's been diving with a DIR/GUE friend of mine. He was very impressed with her setup and asked lots of questions. Who knows? Maybe he'll be a future DIR recruit. For me, I'm afraid I'm old and set in my ways, but I do like the long hose setup and may eventually go that route...there is an anecdote from the trip that showed me the value of both a long hose and a bungeed backup.

dogseatmayo
08-01-2008, 16:08
wow looked like it was a lot of fun. how was the trip to cozumel/cayman?(can't remember which one you went to)!