PDA

View Full Version : Air purifiers and gear damage

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 13:23
The hubby and I were discussing this the other night, but can't really find any info online. We have a finished basement, and the laundry room is also our gear room. Adjacent to that room is our bar, in which we have an ultraviolet air purifier (large commercial unit). These units produce Ozone, and supposedly Ozone is harmful to rubber products. I wonder if there's any danger of damaging any of our gear? Rubber fin straps, silicone? BC bladders? Does anyone here have any knowledge of such?

hoobascooba
02-13-2008, 13:25
the ozone is detrimental to everything... just the same as everything is detrimental to the ozone.

just a thought...

MicahEW
02-13-2008, 13:28
they actually sell something that purposly produces ozone?

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 13:37
they actually sell something that purposly produces ozone?

Um, yes, and for more things besides just air cleaners. Ozone is a natural oxidizer (hence the possible problem with rubber, etc). Ozone kills bacteria, and breaks down other organic and non-organic substances in the air. They even make units for aquariums (have for years) to aid in the break down of dissolved organics. The newest thing I've read about is ozone/oxygen therapy in saunas. I guess it has many uses.

Osprey
02-13-2008, 14:21
Ozone (from ionizers) is one of the leading causes of asthma triggers in the home (which I have), and they kill parrots (which I have as well) by ruining their respiratory systems

It's really not as safe as they make it seem, think "teflon" (which, bless them, also kills parrots)

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 14:25
So our gear will be safe, but just don't get a parrot? :smiley36:

(sorry, I hope your Parrot didn't die or I'll feel terrible!)

MicahEW
02-13-2008, 14:25
kinda along the same lines I though ozone was a bad thing.

mitchy
02-13-2008, 14:46
I put an ozonator on my hottub to kill bacteria and reduce chemical usage. I was told it afterwards that it will ruin my cover. When I asked a couple of engineers who use ozone, they told me it wouldn't. They said that at this elevation, that ozone is highly unstable, and whatever ozone didn't attach itself the bacteria wouldn't be ozone by the time it escaped the water. My understanding of ozone air purifiers is the the ozone has broken down pretty much right away and doesn't leave the unit, only killing bacteria in the air in the unit. It is more of a gimmic that effective bacterial killer.

That being said, I'm no expert on ozone.

Osprey
02-13-2008, 15:37

No, all 3 of my parrots are fine.. but only because I knew prior to buy a hepa filter with NO ionizer on it! We just needed some mechanical help to snatch their TEN TONS of fluff floating around the house.. ACHOO!!

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 19:30

No, all 3 of my parrots are fine.. but only because I knew prior to buy a hepa filter with NO ionizer on it! We just needed some mechanical help to snatch their TEN TONS of fluff floating around the house.. ACHOO!!

Ahhhh.....I feel much better now! :smiley31: I love animals!

WAHMof2
02-13-2008, 19:34
I put an ozonator on my hottub to kill bacteria and reduce chemical usage. I was told it afterwards that it will ruin my cover. When I asked a couple of engineers who use ozone, they told me it wouldn't. They said that at this elevation, that ozone is highly unstable, and whatever ozone didn't attach itself the bacteria wouldn't be ozone by the time it escaped the water. My understanding of ozone air purifiers is the the ozone has broken down pretty much right away and doesn't leave the unit, only killing bacteria in the air in the unit. It is more of a gimmic that effective bacterial killer.

That being said, I'm no expert on ozone.

I tend to disagree with that. Put an Ozone air cleaner in a room, and turn it on high. Until the air quality balances with the unit, you can actually smell it. It's the same smell you can sense in an electrical storm. Matter of fact, it can be overwhelming, and give you headaches and such. Ozone is very real, and it produces a lot of oxygen. That's the best I can explain it, but it's real.

Black-Gorrilla
02-13-2008, 19:47

what kind of parrots are these? i have some birds, and one of them makes a mess, but no fluff... just breaks everything in the cage and tears up the newspaper etc...

Osprey
02-13-2008, 21:22
I have 2 cockatiels and a macaw. cockatiels, being desert/prairie birds, use dust coating along with their oil. the macaw just likes to throw vegetables around

CaptainRon
02-14-2008, 19:32
I know the problem with ozone generators is when the O3 breaks down into O2 + O. The single oxygen atom is an unstable ion that needs to attach to something (unlike the O2 atom which is stable). It is this free oxygen atom that will "oxidize" with other materials , breaking them down (essentially the same process as rusting). Also, the oxygen atom will combine with nitrogen in the air to produce nitroxides, which are toxic.

I found the following info. Ironically, this is a company that sells ozone generators, so if they are saying there are some dangers, I would be hesitant to use one.
Are There Ozone Generator Dangers?

Ozone generator dangers can be minimal in occupied areas, as long as the ozone concentration remains below the safe level (http://www.jenesco.com/EPA-Regulations.html) specified by OSHA or the EPA.
At higher concentrations ozone can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Therefore, you should only run our machines on their low settings, in well ventilated spaces while people and pets are present. Ozone is like many other essentials in life. A little is good, a lot is not. Too much food can make you over weight, too much water can cause drowning, and overdosing on life-saving medications can make you very ill.
In order to totally eliminate any danger from using ozone, do not run our machines in occupied spaces. Utilize the timers available on many of our units, to switch on our ozone generators while you are out of the building and shut them off an hour or so before you return, so the ozone has time to safely dissipate (turn back into oxygen) prior to reoccupying the space.
You may also safely operate our machines on their higher settings in adjacent room as long as the door is shut, or another barrier (plastic sheet) is employed, between the occupied space and the room being treated. Generating ozone in the basement while you occupy the upper floors, is generally not a problem as ozone is heavier than air so it will remain down it the basement.
Ozone generators are ideal for certain specific applications such as:

Killing mold
Killing mildew
Killing bacteria
Getting rid of odors. Killing mold, mildew and other germs can pose an ozone generator danger and should only be done when a room is unoccupied.
The ozone concentration needed to kill mold (shock treatment) is well beyond the level that is safe to breathe. It is similar to fumigating a room in your house for bugs. You wouldn't want to stay in the room breathing those chemicals. Luckily, ozone doesn't smell as bad and doesn't linger as long as those bug killers.

cummings66
02-14-2008, 21:13
So, from the horses mouth it's not a good idea to use them when people are around. So to speak.

It is a bad idea to use them around drysuits, that much is certain and I'm positive it's equally bad on the other diving gear.

Judge
02-15-2008, 02:21
Ozone (from ionizers) is one of the leading causes of asthma triggers in the home (which I have), and they kill parrots (which I have as well) by ruining their respiratory systems

I had been looking at those filters sold at Sharper Image...glad I did not buy one (asthma)

Osprey
02-15-2008, 07:28
I had been looking at those filters sold at Sharper Image...glad I did not buy one (asthma)

I actually had to learn about ions the hard way,my mom used to keep one running behind her chair. When I would sit next to her, my lungs would rapidly get tighter and tighter. It was after researching about my parrots around that thing that I found an article released about ions and asthma

I use hepa filters in the home, and they work just as well, without the disgusting ion smell to them

WAHMof2
02-15-2008, 09:26
Thanks for the info CaptainRon! That was a real eye opener. We do use the timer on ours so it's running during the night when nobody is in the basement. We have not had any respiratory problems, so I assume we're not "over-using" it. We've had it in the basement for 7 years, so I'm assuming we would have noticed something by now. The good thing about it is that since it's been here, there is never any musty "basement" smell, or smell from cigarette smoke (some of our friends are smokers), oe any other odors for that matter. I am now concerned about our scuba gear, and this info kinda seals that for me. The laundry room/gear room has a door, so according to that article, we should be ok if we simply keep that door closed during the night when the air purifier is running.

Mtrewyn
02-15-2008, 11:18
I am wondering, are the ozone generators, and ionizers really the same thing?

I don't know, but the adds say that the "Ionic Breeze" "charges" the plates similar to the "charges" on a battery, to attract stuff in the air, the ozone generators produce ozone which makes, Very rapidly, o2 and a free radical O that causes the "oxidation", I would be willing to bet that it is the free O that causes the asthma issues, but I could be wrong, just thinking and wondering.

mitchy
02-15-2008, 14:00
I am wondering, are the ozone generators, and ionizers really the same thing?

I don't know, but the adds say that the "Ionic Breeze" "charges" the plates similar to the "charges" on a battery, to attract stuff in the air, the ozone generators produce ozone which makes, Very rapidly, o2 and a free radical O that causes the "oxidation", I would be willing to bet that it is the free O that causes the asthma issues, but I could be wrong, just thinking and wondering.

Two separate things. Ions are charged particles, whereas ozone is three oxygen molecules bonded together.

newways
02-16-2008, 14:19
Anybody can say what they want, but wouldn't keep my gear in the same room as an ozone machine. IMHO it just to expensive to take a chance.

WAHMof2
02-16-2008, 18:13
Anybody can say what they want, but wouldn't keep my gear in the same room as an ozone machine. IMHO it just to expensive to take a chance.

Why not?

just kidding! I think I'll have to agree!