PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Gear List

DiverJoe
02-13-2008, 13:54
Hey all, I scanned through the site for something like this but I came up dry, so here it goes.

I HATE it when stuff gets stolen, even more when it's my stuff and I go straight up balistic when it's my dive gear, which then keeps me from taking even one more dive till i can fork out the dough to replace it.

Yes I have dive insurance, and yes they will cover (some of) it, but;
A- I only covers like $400 of it (and for a nearly $800 comp that just won't cut it!)
B- I can't do much diving until it is recovered.

So on that note, I thought I'd make a thread to let you other divers out there aware of our stolen items, so that we can keep an eye out for the items hoping to get them back, and so that you don't accidentally buy something that was stolen.

In my case it was a ,1 year old Oceanic Pro-Plus2 Dive Computer (just the Comp, they apparently took it off the QD in between pool dives at a Nor. CA town. It's got my name carved and painted into/onto it "J. Moore".

Now I know that most of you are Texans:smiley_bandit: but if you happen to run across it, let me know, and we'll see if the serial #'s match.

If any of you have gear that you'd like listed, put it up & we'll keep an eye out for it.

Good luck, and Safe Diving all!

DiverJoe

mike_s
02-13-2008, 14:15
A couple of things...

1.) file a police report and noted your name is carved in it. If it gets recovered in any action such as fencing through pawn shops, you might get lucky.

2.) check your local pawn shops. Most pawn shops are required to drivers license ID anyone when they pawn something. So there will be a record of who might have tried to sell/pawn it there.

3.) Check craigs list in your surrounding areas and also Ebay. You might just find your stolen item there. I'd guess this is your best bet for finding it, but still a longshot.

4.) List it on Stolen Scuba Gear Registry provided by thedecostop.com- http://stolenscubagear.com (http://www.stolenscubagear.com/) . I'd a long shot but you never know...

5.) scan the classifieds of all the scuba forums and rec.scuba.equipment newsnet groups. They might try to sell it there.

I hate to say this... but chances are it's another diver who took it if they knew to take it off your gear at the pool. sucks huh?

mitchy
02-13-2008, 14:31
Hopefully they try and sell it on this forum. Then we'll nab the ba$tards! If not, keep an eye all the auction sites as mentioned.

KGNickl
02-13-2008, 14:52
I can understand when people steal from a store or business (but I still think it is wrong) but when people steal from other people I get mad! A person works hard for the money they earn and toys they buy and does not usually factor in theft. A business will at least factor in theft as something that will happen. Thats how I think of it and why I get angry when I hear stories like this!

RoyN
02-13-2008, 15:12
I'm sorry that happened to you Diverjoe. Can't believe it happened in North California too. Now I gotta keep a more bigger eye on things now thanks to thieving people...

DarinMartell
02-13-2008, 15:22
I can understand when people steal from a store or business (but I still think it is wrong) but when people steal from other people I get mad! A person works hard for the money they earn and toys they buy and does not usually factor in theft. A business will at least factor in theft as something that will happen. Thats how I think of it and why I get angry when I hear stories like this!

I'm sorry but that is a really short sided veiw of economics (if not morality). You do realize that when a business "factors in theft as something that will happen" they factor it in to the price that EVERYONE pays for the product don't you? That means it makes all of the equipment YOU (and all of us) buy cost more. I don't know about everyone else but that ticks me off just as much as when I hear about personal thefts.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-13-2008, 15:32

I'm sorry but that is a really short sided veiw of both morality and economics. You do realize that when a business "factors in theft as something that will happen" they factor it in to the price that EVERYONE pays for the product don't you? That means it makes all of the equipment YOU (and all of us) buy cost more. I don't know about everyone else but that ticks me off just as much as when I hear about personal thefts.

I hate theft in general, though I am particularly ticked off by personal theft, though I don't like any kind of theft.

rfb3
02-13-2008, 15:34
Don't go to Bonaire. They'll steal your shorts out of your car!

RickPeck
02-13-2008, 17:37

I'm sorry but that is a really short sided veiw of economics (if not morality). You do realize that when a business "factors in theft as something that will happen" they factor it in to the price that EVERYONE pays for the product don't you? That means it makes all of the equipment YOU (and all of us) buy cost more. I don't know about everyone else but that ticks me off just as much as when I hear about personal thefts.

I'll go one step farther... I have no understanding of this type of person at all. Someone owns a store, and they got ripped off. Doesn't hurt them any less than you or me. When someone steals from a store it's EXACTLY like stealing from "people." People own stores.

We should have the same type of laws like they do in Saudi, cut their hand off if convicted. Cut the other one off if their caught twice. That would slow them down a bit.

terrillja
02-13-2008, 17:42
Here's a link to a good site:

Stolen Scuba Gear Registry provided by thedecostop.com- http://stolenscubagear.com (http://www.stolenscubagear.com/)

fisheater
02-13-2008, 20:19
Where was it stolen? You've at least two of us NorCal folks that can be on the lookout for your gear.

pyre24
02-13-2008, 20:20
Its a good list. Too bad there are many divers who dont add their losses on there. wow! they are even spamming the Stolen Scuba Gear list. 140 and 141 on page 3. Dont know about anyone else, but Im not going to go to a stolen gear page to order ******.

terrillja
02-13-2008, 20:23
Its a good list. Too bad there are many divers who dont add their losses on there. wow! they are even spamming the Stolen Scuba Gear list. 140 and 141 on page 3. Dont know about anyone else, but Im not going to go to a stolen gear page to order ******.
Yeah, but it's from elvis! Never knew he dived!

Texafornian
02-13-2008, 22:06

I'm curious, why would you say something like that? Not trying to get off topic, but I've had nothing but good experiences in Bonaire. Both on land and under the sea. I would never leave my shorts nor anything else in a rental if I'm going to be away from it for any length of time. Same goes as if it were here in the States. It's just basic common sense. Maybe if you elaborated more (post a new topic) I may see where you are coming from. But IMO, posting something like that paints a negative picture on what for me, has been a good experience and a great place to dive and gives a wrong impression for those who wouldn't know.

WAHMof2
02-14-2008, 16:21

I'm curious, why would you say something like that? Not trying to get off topic, but I've had nothing but good experiences in Bonaire. Both on land and under the sea. I would never leave my shorts nor anything else in a rental if I'm going to be away from it for any length of time. Same goes as if it were here in the States. It's just basic common sense. Maybe if you elaborated more (post a new topic) I may see where you are coming from. But IMO, posting something like that paints a negative picture on what for me, has been a good experience and a great place to dive and gives a wrong impression for those who wouldn't know.

Things can be stolen anywhere there's human beings. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be any worse in Bonaire than anywhere else.

DevilDiver
02-14-2008, 17:32

Things can be stolen anywhere there's human beings. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be any worse in Bonaire than anywhere else.

Sorry to say it but Bonaire has a reputation for a very high theft rate targeting tourist. Anything left in a rentals is in danger. (Even shorts apparently):smiley5:

NOT all the locals are like this but there are always a few that screw things up for the others.....:smiley29:

Doug B
02-14-2008, 23:11
The DM's in Oahu were telling us not to leave ANYTHING in the rental cars, or the dive vans.

While several of us were in a dive shop, waiting for the morning dive to leave, one of the divers' rental cars was broken into, and stuff was stolen.

I saw signs all over Oahu about not leaving stuff in rental cars. Sad.

DiverJoe
02-19-2008, 14:03
thanks for the site link, i'll check it out.

As for where, in the Chico Area.

I've not yet gotten to dive Bonaire, but I am typically pretty carefull when abroad (even abroad in the US). However, I never rate an area or a general group of folks based on any one person or activity for good or for bad.

Safe Diving all,
DiverJoe

DiverJoe
02-25-2008, 14:29
Still no neww word on the Pro+2, ended up getting the DataMask (on the card) to replace it (big ouch on price but a nice unit!)

rfb3
02-25-2008, 15:43

I guess the reason I'd "say something like that", is because it has happened to me. I had heard from my friends that in Bonaire, if you didn't want it stolen, take it down with you. And for most of my valuables (sun glasses included), that is what I did. However, on one dive, I left my gym shorts in the truck, and they were gone when I got back. I guess my point is, for those that don't know, do not leave anything topside that has ANY value.

DiverJoe
03-04-2008, 11:26
Hey all, some good news for me.

The pro+2 was recovered. The unit was located a bit scraced up but totally funtional at a local garage sale/swap meet. Unit still bore my name and ID tag, was identified and returned without further incident.

I don't know how it went astray (people said they'd "found it") but it is back now, shows no new dives in the log and i'll be trying a pool dive this weekend to verify it's underwater funtionality.

Thanks to all who kept thier ears on about it.

Dive Safe all, and watch your gear!
DiverJoe

NucMed Man
03-04-2008, 12:00
Glad to hear it found it's way back home:smiley32:. As to the on going discussion about having items taken at "Bonaire" - Folks I got news for you, if it's not nailed down, any and everything can be taken if someone needs/wants it bad enough no matter where you are.

mitchy
03-04-2008, 13:04
Great news DiverJoe!