PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Diver

pyre24
02-13-2008, 22:30
Are there any Commercial Divers on this board? If so where did you go for training? And of course what is it like?

NoTime58
02-19-2008, 12:01
There's a training center in Houston, TX that trains commercial divers. I think I found a link for them on the DAN website.

NoTime58
02-19-2008, 13:47
I just go the information package from "The Ocean Corporation" in the mail this afternoon. You can request information via their website: Commercial diving school offering underwater diver certifications in ndt, and nde training. (http://www.oceancorp.com) . From what I've read through so far it appears to be a pretty intensive 8 month training period.....cost is upwards of $ 16,000.00 for the UDT course and from what I've read it's a very extensive and in depth. Good Luck !!

jeepbrew
02-20-2008, 17:39
I am interested as well. No commercial divers on this board??

pyre24
02-20-2008, 18:28
i hope to be one next year if im lucky. just have to see if i can get financial assistance.

jafo123
02-21-2008, 06:43
I would guess buy your profile that you have a very long road to travel.

FishFood
02-21-2008, 07:17
I thought about this but in the end decided not to pursue it. Do a lot of research before jumping into anything.

I will say, if you do go through with it, Liousiana Tech College is one of the best plces to get trained (from the research I did) Unlike nearly every other school, it's a state funded school, so tuition is very low. I believe it was something like $4k total tuition, instead of $16-$25k for the private schools

Louisiana Technical College -- State of Louisiana (http://www.ltc.edu/home.asp)

PhantomCat
02-21-2008, 07:24
I went to Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle, WA. It is a huge investment of time energy and MONEY. You need to be totally committed to working as a hardhat diver. If there is any question in your mind don't waste your time or money.
You wont make big money to start. It is long hours, can be weeks at sea, and not a lot of family time (if you have wife/kids). Most of my graduating class aren't working as divers anymore. Injuries and two plus years to even get to dive.....not what you sign on for when you go to school. You can PM if you want specifics.

NoTime58
02-21-2008, 08:35
I went to Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle, WA. It is a huge investment of time energy and MONEY. You need to be totally committed to working as a hardhat diver. If there is any question in your mind don't waste your time or money.
You wont make big money to start. It is long hours, can be weeks at sea, and not a lot of family time (if you have wife/kids). Most of my graduating class aren't working as divers anymore. Injuries and two plus years to even get to dive.....not what you sign on for when you go to school. You can PM if you want specifics.

How long ago did you take your training and are you still working as a commercial diver ?

pyre24
02-21-2008, 12:22
Cool. Ill PM you later our internet is down right now. Damn weather. Im single to start so that shouldnt be a problem, but I do have kids.

mcc2318
02-21-2008, 12:33
I was enrolled in DIT but found out two weeks into the class I had syst in my sinus'

Bert
02-22-2008, 09:05
Looking to go comerical myself I going toComercial diver training in Jacksonvill Flordia or Oceanic group in Houston Texas. In may I will go to texas to look at the school.

pyre24
02-22-2008, 22:48
There is also the Minnesota Commercial Diver Training Center for Inland Commercial Diving. their tuition is around $7000. I hope to visit them sometime. My main goal is to get a job and work in Russia and Ukraine as a diver.

scubasamurai
02-22-2008, 22:58
i would also check with them regarding your AGE. alot of programs will train you but alot of employers will not hire someone in their 30 for obvious reasons, unless you already have been working and have a ton of exp. better check with the program and potential employers before you dump mega amounts of cash into one. i know of a commerical training center here in florida that actual tells you over 30 not really a good idea

dannybot
02-24-2008, 09:39
There is also the Minnesota Commercial Diver Training Center for Inland Commercial Diving. their tuition is around $7000. I hope to visit them sometime. My main goal is to get a job and work in Russia and Ukraine as a diver.

WHAT? The suspense is killing me!

dannybot
02-24-2008, 09:39

WHAT? The suspense is killing me!

Oh, now I see it's a stealth post.

pyre24
02-24-2008, 16:45
What is a stealth post? Weve been having bad problems since comcast took over as internet provider for our area. http://www.minnesotacommercialdiving.com/ This is the link for the school in Minnesota, it cheap and closer. But I like the one in Seattle for the international certification and it seems more in depth. Im new so I dont know what Im talking about. :smiley36: What I do know is the fact that I love the water and want to be in Ukraine and Russia. Those are my goals. wether I meet them or not is a different story. I can always hope though.

bluediver
03-14-2008, 17:07
I'm also going to attend DIT :). I will start at may.

MicahEW
03-14-2008, 18:37
This sounds like an interest I want to look into it more.

cutter77
03-20-2008, 01:40
My son is a graduate of the College of Oceaneering in Los Angeles. He is also my favorite DM (altho a bit demanding at times!)

OTGav
03-20-2008, 06:49
http://www.divermag.com/archives/sep98/divedoctor_sep98.html

http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/ScubaMed/BoneInjuriesFromDiving.asp?theID=632

Reasons to consider another career?

Am sort of glad I'm too old to go for this training myself - would have jumped at it as a younger me if I found diving earlier.

It was one of those things that my instructor meantioned in a DM class that made me shudder just hearing the name. He brought it up when one DM candidate mentioned going comercial - not sure how likely you are to get it - just one of those bad sounding things I guess.